• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Poutine

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The sounds are off, the main character animation is weird, like if nothing had weight to it. Graphics are beautiful though, really liked the OG Demon Souls so I'll probably give this a try at some point.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I don't like is how loud the player grunts were. That and the weird decision to one shot everything on the way to the boss lol.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
4K 60 FPS
tenor.gif

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
man, the animation look like some "super mario on unreal engine" type of bullshit, like he is just hovering over the ground at all times. the hit animations were also lacking any sort of punch. no idea how any of that made it into the trailer. the player character also just looked weirdly proportioned, like he was squished together

art design wise it also looks like they just puked color all over the screen. it looks literally nothing like demon souls, no idea whose creative decision that was

Mania

Jan 27, 2018
The game is beautiful, but the gameplay looked incredibly disappointing and quite frankly boring. And why did they not show any weapon/armor variety? Very let down.

Vigamox

Nov 13, 2017
The graphics are incredible, but it looks like a weird combination of outdated animations/combat mechanics and next gen high fidelity graphics makes it feel a bit off.

Hopefully this is still a work in progress, they clearly are changing up some of the animations so hopefully it'll be much smoother at launch.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Graphics look fantastic but the camera and gameplay felt off. I'll check out how this develops but in the worst case I still got OG Demon's Souls to play so I'm not worried too much either way.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
It looks stellar, but it really throws me off how there's not even a flinch when the PC is hit while blocking. Even the greatshields in the other games have the character show some kind of reaction.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Wut. How was any of that stiff? It looks quite the opposite to me. It also has some nice weight to it, which makes sense. I think it looks fucking incredible.

I think everyone is just so used to how the Souls game look that this being even slightly different is gonna feel and look jarring. Give it a chance, people. It's one fucking gameplay demo. We haven't even seen the hud or anything.
I think I know mediocre animations when I see them. Especially compared to the stuff From did recently animation-wise, this is really a few steps back in terms of quality.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
That looks really good but something seems off with the animation. Maybe I am too used to the low framerate of the original

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Some mixed feelings here. Graphically it looks great, but it's noticeably different looking than the original. The single slash to kill an enemy was really weird as well.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Listen to the sounds the swords and hits make in OG and then compare them to the trailer
youtu.be

Demon's Souls - Let's Play Part 1: A Lone Warrior

Deep beneath the Nexus, the Old One has awakened. A mighty demon horde pours into Boletaria, devouring the souls of men. Called upon by a maiden in black, yo...

You cant tell me its not gotten vastly worse by trying to sound more "realistic" or whatever

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Graphics are incredible, but like others have said...something was just off with it. The animation etc...all just looked...off.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I hope that ppl will start to realize how bad Bluepoint is, those animations and hit feedback are awful, to not talk about the overall style full Blizzard.

And btw I'm not a fan of the game or of the Souls genre but this let looks Mortal Shell a masterpiece...

hot takes starting coming!

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played a Souls game since the Demon's original, but the gameplay looks off to me.

Oct 26, 2017
I loved that, my only minor gripe is that the souls sound is a little too loud. The animations are of a slightly different style, but it still has that weighty, deliberate feel a Souls game needs.

Acewon

Oct 2, 2018
Looks bonkers, super excited for this. Not looking forward to all the souls fans complaining about absolutely everything though.

Oct 27, 2017
Shrugging at this. It's such a finely tuned faked slice of gameplay that it doesn't tell me anything about how it actually played. Some of the sound effects didn't work for me. I feel like this is gonna be another case where it'll look pretty on the surface but there will be a ton of little things that Blue Point decided to change that will annoy die-hards.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Wut. How was any of that stiff? It looks quite the opposite to me. It also has some nice weight to it, which makes sense. I think it looks fucking incredible.

I think everyone is just so used to how the Souls game look that this being even slightly different is gonna feel and look jarring. Give it a chance, people. It's one fucking gameplay demo. We haven't even seen the hud or anything.
I said the exact same thing before seeing Thomas' post, the animations are really weird. Look at how he runs and turns corners, there is zero reaction from the character at all, he's basically running in place and you "steer" him. I also noticed it right at the beginning when he jumps down wearing heavy armour and there is zero feeling of weight when he hits the ground. For such a graphically impressive game the animations are really basic and it's causing a disconnect for me.

The creature animations seem a bit better though.

Oct 26, 2017
It looks amazing.

But, yeah something did seem off. The backstab, parry and riposte seemed like they lacked a certain oomph. And found the battle grunts from the player character to be a bit excessive (enemies' were fine though)? IDk guess I'm nitpicking.

That YOU DIED is a straight downgrade though lmao. Font is terrible and they got rid of the subtext?! That's sacrilege.

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Looks off me to me. Animations looks stiff and a bit off to me and the movement looks floaty as hell.

The visuals look DAMN good though.

please fix that font. thats terrible.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The 'off' thing people refer to about the animations are the blocking dynamics. Other than that the enemy deaths etc are amazing looking.

MLH

Oct 26, 2017
It looks a little off. Without playing it first hand I can't be certain. I think maybe it's the cinematic camera that they're trying to use which presumably won't actually look like that during real gameplay
I'm happy not having the stiffness of the original, it is pretty rough compared to modern souls, but this doesn't look close to any other souls game and that has me a little worried now...

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Some mixed feelings here. Graphically it looks great, but it's noticeably different looking than the original. The single slash to kill an enemy was really weird as well.

That and the seemingly infinite poise/stability while blocking threw me for a loop. Hopefully those are things that they can tweak in the late stages of development.

DWarriorSN

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PA
Looks so good, but the animations do look wierdly weak.

The grunting by the character is also super wierd imo, honestly hope it's not there on launch.