• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
got... cheers for the heads up

No problem. Lost in the bitching is that Japan Studio is a pretty good developer and has been involved in DeS and Bloodborne- and the latter is head and shoulders above the entries that From did under Namco.

People seem to keep pushing a narrative that Bluepoint is doing it solo with no input from anyone involved in making these games, ignoring that Japan Studio is still present and involved.

thomas_cale

May 22, 2020
It's funny, seeing all the new fans coming here showing their Souls knowledge and fanboyism against me.. against me, of all people. I don't see many people here owning 30k usd worth of Souls merchandise, on top of the hundreds of different stories and other shit I've done in the name of Souls
So people that don´t have the money to spend 30k on merchandise cant be as big fans as you?
Fuck right off with this shit, seriously

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's funny, seeing all the new fans coming here showing their Souls knowledge and fanboyism against me.. against me, of all people. I don't see many people here owning 30k usd worth of Souls merchandise, on top of the hundreds of different stories and other shit I've done in the name of Souls
Actually it does prove that I'm a bigger fan than the majority. Although not just the merchandise (nice strawman btw) but all the others things related to Souls, all events I've done, the streaming, the charity events, me reaching out to namco bandai and becoming one of the first to try dks2 and involve somewhat in balancing the game, and much, much more

sorry but yes,this does make me a bigger fan than the majority, this is a fact

This copy pasta in the making.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017

you should post a pic of your entire setup of souls swag.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Yeah i'm sorry but i'm really not a fan of the complete change in the artistic direction...

Not only everything is less gritty, less opressive but they completely changed the lightning and even some of the bosses design...

I will still play it and certainly enjoy the game, but i don't approve these changes at all

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully they don't mess with the summon system. It's much better than the other games with lvl caps.

shem

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno i played the original demons and like yall are posting a bunch of concept art vs a new trailer when like the actual in game graphics generally age horribly. I had the same reaction when people were mad at the SotC remaster that removed a bunch of fog. People were mad that it "took soul out of the game" when to me the original game looked and ran like shit and bluepoint made it one of the best looking games on ps4.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
good job proofing my point. that looks literally nothing like it does in the remake and neither did it look like that in game
the green tint, the blown out sky, the fog, the giant but incredibly simple structures. like there was nothing ornate about them in any way unlike the screenshot of the trailer i posted
4dxaqqnsnen31.jpg
The screenshot you posted of the Remake CG is extremely blurry though and we can only see the Wall Towers clearly. I am going to withhold judgement on the art direction until I see more of the first area. Tower Knight looks fine and so does the area around him so I have some hope it will look decent.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Day one, of course, but that artstyle is wack. All the atmosphere of the original intro is lost, art and music. But still, hype!

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind the game looking different or having remixed levels or whatever

I do want to see some gameplay before I get excited, though. I really don't want to play "Hey guys Souls games is were you PREPARED TO DIE so here's Demons' Souls but every enemy iz super fast". Leave that mess for games like DS3.

lukeskymac

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Speaking of, it feels kinda gross to see Shu but no mention of From in the trailer. He sandbagged the original game, and his revisionism about "oh I always loved this game" strikes me as disingenuous.
He's always been the first to point out he had no faith in the game and that he quickly regretted it, what the fuck are you talking about.

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
Given Bluepoints track record I have faith this will be another great remake.
No problem. Lost in the bitching is that Japan Studio is a pretty good developer and has been involved in DeS and Bloodborne- and the latter is head and shoulders above the entries that From did under Namco.

People seem to keep pushing a narrative that Bluepoint is doing it solo with no input from anyone involved in making these games, ignoring that Japan Studio is still present and involved.
I did not know this and I'm now even more hyped.

Ex Lion Tamer

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. They have made wonderful remasters in the past but I wasn't a fan of their one remake so far either and I'm disappointed that it's what they're doing here. Should have been hired to remaster both games instead of remaking them completely in my opinion. This video feels quite relevant.

I was fine with the SOTC remake art but that may be because I wasn't as attached to the original game. I am really feeling the difference here.

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Actually it does prove that I'm a bigger fan than the majority. Although not just the merchandise (nice strawman btw) but all the others things related to Souls, all events I've done, the streaming, the charity events, me reaching out to namco bandai and becoming one of the first to try dks2 and involve somewhat in balancing the game, and much, much more

This is gonna be one of those classic e3 posts that gets reposted for years.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Every time someone in here posts a side-by-side comparison framing the remake in a negative light compared to the original's crusty ass graphics I can't help but chuckle at the nitpickery.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
For PS5 to have this is...concerning.

It feels like PS5 games should be able to handle 60FPS and a decent resolution. I'll wait and see.

But that's not how technology works. Any game can have a decent framerate and resolution on any hardware. The onus is on the developer to tailor the asset quality accordingly. There's no hardware anywhere, nor will ever be, that can just miraculously render games at high framerate and resolution. Because if it can all it takes is a developer willing to push the processing ceiling harder and the performance / IQ will tank.

The PS5 isn't any different to the PS4 or PS3 or Xbox or Switch or anything else. Its a per-game per-technology basis. Any game that is built for 60fps @ native 4K could run worse if the devs wanted to pump out higher quality assets or greater scene density or whatever. I expect a lot of games to offer options, because it's the best choice.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
...You mean like Demon's Souls? Boletarian Palace and Shrine of Storms are both brightly-lit daytime areas (With some dark caves in the second area of Shrine of Storms).
I confess I have never played Demon's Souls, to the point I actually avoided it entirely after playing Dark Souls and Bloodborne in anticipation of a remaster/remake. There's nothing like playing through a Soulsborne game without knowing what is waiting for you, after all.

I can understand people not liking the new, more vibrant colors and how relatively clean everything looks. But given the original's daytime areas, it's weird seeing people yell "too bright!" then.

Wolf of Yharnam

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

How dare you... you're not a better - what the hell that means anyway - fan than us just because we don't have 30k to throw around for merchandise or connections to Bandai.

Get over yourself.

Fair Witness

Jun 25, 2018
Austin, TX, USA
I imported the game back in the day and played it coop with my brother (way back when it wasn't easy to sync up!). I can't wait for this remake, it looks amazing so far. I'm hyped.

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's fair to point out a change in atmosphere. Art design is a very subtle thing. I'm personally not a fan of western studio's remaking Japanese games, there's just something inherently off with the design. It happened with twin snakes, and SOTC as well.

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017

No, it doesn't. Lmfao.

Keep convincing yourself this buddy and have a nice day LOL

You're absolutely being immature here. I used to really enjoy your posts and stuff. Now you're just acting like an elitist loser. Grow up.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
I do think it's weird that Bluepoint keeps altering color grading, brightness, and architectural styles in games whose visuals... were largely defined by color grading, twilight lighting conditions, and grandiose ruins.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Can't believe the biggest Souls fan in the world just got banned :(

Nah man we should not defend hostile posts. I can understand not being happy at people being critical about something you love but that doesn't call for toxicity or hostility towards people because they have a disagreement on a video game.

Hiryu

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really looking forward to this. I played through the Japanese and English versions of the original many times. The original game is very gritty, mostly because of hardware limitations, but I do hope this doesn't stray to far from that aesthetic. I wonder if they will keep the world tendency system intact? I do hope they update the PVP aspects quite a bit as From made big strides in that department in later souls games.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that artstyle looks very generic. The art in Souls games has always had this certain something that differentiated it from other fantasy designs. I guess I can't expect Bluepoint (or anyone for that matter) to replicate this, but it does stand out to me negatively what they came up with here.

I'm sure it's gonna be a graphical accomplishment and gonna offer a nice overhaul to the game's systems and levels, and I'm looking forward to playing it. But a replacement it likely won't manage to be.