• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Game looks amazing and love, love, love the great photo mode. I haven't replayed Demon Souls since my first run at release but I'm surprised how many tricks I'm remembering. All feels new and familiar at the same time. Love it.

Butttttt, was the camera in the original always so far back from the character? I feel like I want the camera a bit closer and bummed there's no camera distance option with all the options the game has. Going into rooms can't see shit.

Also on a non-HDR 1080p plasma, the game is pretty dark. Interior rooms are like pitch black until walking in a bit.

Does anyone's game freeze for 3-5 seconds at random points in the game?

Had it happen once right before pulling the lever for the final shortcut on 1-1, probably was trying to load the starting area ahead and hitched. Was scary but at least it unfroze and didn't crash. Game probably needs a patch.

Sep 21, 2019
I dunno. I'm just not that impressed with this to be honest.

Maybe I was expecting more.

The graphics look good but not as good as I was expecting from trailers and impressions. Playing on an LG C9.

I always liked Dark Souls much more than Demon's Souls, and the more I play this, the more I'm remembering why it is a good game that spawned an entire series of great games.

I wish BluePoint had injected some of the speed and momentum from DS3 into this thing. I feel like I'm about to fall asleep playing it.

Oh, and there is a difference between performance and cinematic mode. Cinematic mode is definitely native 4k, and it shows. Depending how big your screen is and how far away from it you are, you may not notice the difference, but I definitely do. Regardless, the 30 fps is garbage and performance mode is the way to go.

Otherwise, this game just makes me want to play Dark Souls, Dark Souls 3, or Bloodborne.

It is a decade-old game with some bells and whistles. But it just feels dated. And slow. And clearly the child that spawned a series of better games. I'm really not feeling it.

*shrug*

PS. I also disliked the Shadow of the Colossus remake because I couldn't stand the terrible controls and felt like, again, it was a creaky ass game in a new skin.

So take my comments as you will.

I consider Dark Souls one of the top 5 best games ever made.

I played over half of Demons Souls back in the day and eventually shelved it. Probably going to do the same with this. It looks pretty. But what's under the hood is rusty. And the shiny paint only takes this thing so far...

Last edited:

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Not the best at Souls games...but for Tower Knight...

What's the best strategy as a knight? I think I have heavier armor so I don't roll as fast. I should try to take down the archers first obviously. And then should I use pine-resin to add fire and go for the knight's ankles?

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
I dunno. I'm just not that impressed with this to be honest.

Maybe I was expecting more.

The graphics look good but not as good as I was expecting from trailers and impressions. Playing on an LG C9.

I always liked Dark Souls much more than Demon's Souls, and the more I play this, the more I'm remembering why it is a good game that spawned an entire series of great games.

I wish BluePoint had injected some of the speed and momentum from DS3 into this thing. I feel like I'm about to fall asleep playing it.

Oh, and there is a difference between performance and cinematic mode. Cinematic mode is definitely native 4k, and it shows. Depending how big your screen is and how far away from it you are, you may not notice the difference, but I definitely do. Regardless, the 30 fps is garbage and performance mode is the way to go.

Otherwise, this game just makes me want to play Dark Souls, Dark Souls 3, or Bloodborne.

It is a decade-old game with some bells and whistles. But it just feels dated. And slow. And clearly the child that spawned a series of better games. I'm really not feeling it.

*shrug*

It's the Ratchet and Clank 1/Uncharted 1/God of War 1 of Souls games(not counting King's Field). It was a new, fun little romp of a game but is the first of a series that had leaps of improvements, refinement, and longer game lengths over years of sequels, so judging it on the merits of it's sequels just isn't fair to it.

Sep 21, 2019
It's the Ratchet and Clank 1/Uncharted 1/God of War 1 of Souls games(not counting King's Field). It was a new, fun little romp of a game but is the first of a series that had leaps of improvements, refinement, and longer game lengths over years of sequels, so judging it on the merits of it's sequels just isn't fair to it.

But after playing the sequels, it's just so damn hard to go back. And this fusion of polish and dated design and mechanics feels so weird.

It's like remastering Uncharted 1 or God of War 1 with a crazy modern engine but keeping the gameplay the same.

It just seems strange. And playing it is like a snooze fest. So glad I took off work for cyberpunk instead of this.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
It's like remastering Uncharted 1 or God of War 1 with a crazy modern engine but keeping the gameplay the same.

That's exactly what Bluepoint specializes in and that's exactly what was to be expected by the reveal of this game. It's an extremely polished Time Capsule.

Edit: If anything, Bluepoint as a dev themselves made progress within their team, because the faces in this game compared to SoTC remake is a step up.

Sep 21, 2019
That's exactly what Bluepoint specializes in and that's exactly what was to be expected by the reveal of this game. It's an extremely polished Time Capsule.

Edit: If anything, Bluepoint as a dev themselves made progress within their team, because the faces in this game compared to SoTC remake is a step up.

I get it. It just isn't my thing. Just like Shadow wasn't. The presentation is so at odds with the gameplay it feels incredibly jarring.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
I get it. It just isn't my thing. Just like Shadow wasn't. The presentation is so at odds with the gameplay it feels incredibly jarring.

I get what you mean. For some it can seem like Lion King -> Lion King 'Live Action' remake which was also just as jarring.

At least you'll know what you're in for with the next Bluepoint title.

Sep 21, 2019
I get what you mean. For some it can seem like Lion King -> Lion King 'Live Action' remake which was also just as jarring.

At least you'll know what you're in for with the next Bluepoint title.

Haha, that is a great comparison.

Unless their new title is a new IP, and it should be because they are so fucking talented, I'll pass.

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really enjoying this so far, but I'll echo the sentiments of this very much feeling like a decade old game with a fresh coat of paint - this game has no business looking this good at 60fps, and the sound design is excellent as well. I miss kicking and lunge attacks, but even proto-DS gameplay feels good enough to carry me through the rest

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
redflamingolingo thanks for the writeup. I can understand where you're coming from and appreciate your opinon.

But...
seeing people's reactions to some of the redesigns and other more mild updates, if this had happened, a lot of gamers would have had nervous breakdowns haha

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't able to get a ps5 yet (because of availability). Generally I'm not that bothered about it, I'm patient and I've got lots of great things to be doing on my old consoles and pc.

But I'm so sad that I can't be part of the initial burst of people playing this game. Demons's Souls was a huge and significant game for me when I was really getting into gaming as a hobby, and I'd love to be there again while there is just this insane huge burst of players. I know the playerbase will still be there in a few months or whatever, but not the same crazy numbers, you know? rounding that corner and seeing just a field of blood stains.

Sep 21, 2019
redflamingolingo thanks for the writeup. I can understand where you're coming from and appreciate your opinon.

But...

seeing people's reactions to some of the redesigns and other more mild updates, if this had happened, a lot of gamers would have had nervous breakdowns haha

Amen. People are freaking out to music changes that are mostly identical, so I'm sure that adjusting the game to be quicker would have melted more then a few minds. Lol

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
As someone new to Demon's Souls, is there a way to use firebombs without having to press the TouchPad and then triangle?

Aug 30, 2020
It's definitely the most next-geny feeling console game, presentation wise. The sound, physics, and graphics all look fantastic.

It has a distinctly Western feel, but doesn't seem bad. It has been a long time since I played and finished Demon's Souls, but I'm picking it up real fast. Making progress without dying (except the '''required''' one).

What's with that exposition intro tho?

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm in the Boletarian Palace but I want to call it a night. How do I safely save? Do I need to head back to the Nexus?

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Butttttt, was the camera in the original always so far back from the character? I feel like I want the camera a bit closer and bummed there's no camera distance option with all the options the game has. Going into rooms can't see shit.

I thought there were two camera modes: the one from the original game, and one the one that is closer and almost over the shoulder via Bluepoint?

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
I thought there were two camera modes: the one from the original game, and one the one that is closer via Bluepoint?

I don't see any option. There's chase and manual camera which seem the same distance back from the character. There's also a wall camera option I didn't try as I just assumed it did something funky in small spaces with walls.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see any option. There's chase and manual camera which seem the same distance back from the character. There's also a wall camera option I didn't try as I just assumed it did something funky in small spaces with walls.

That might be it. They were commenting on how players sometimes had issues in the original when close to walls, and so they tried to mitigate that a bit.
www.playstationlifestyle.net

Demon's Souls Camera Changed for Remake, But Players Will Be Able to Use Old Camera - PlayStation LifeStyle

The Demons Souls camera has been readjusted for the remake. However, fans will be able to turn on the old version of the camera if they want.

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking about going a halberd/faith build this time around, does anyone have any good build tips?

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
I can't find the closer option either unfortunately. They probably removed it or something

PantherLotus

Oct 27, 2017
1. This is my first DS ever

2. beautiful

3. really really hard

4. I've played the boleterian palace like 20 times, getting a little further each time. Is that the point if the game?

5. Why do I only heal halfway with these lil herbs

TraBuch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can you slide down ladders in the remake? I've been asking people this for weeks but nobody will answer.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
1. This is my first DS ever

2. beautiful

3. really really hard

4. I've played the boleterian palace like 20 times, getting a little further each time. Is that the point if the game?

4. The point of the game is to have a grand adventure in a dark and oppressive world unlike just about any game before it. But the gameplay does revolve around learning from your mistakes, so I guess you could say that is partially true.

5. There are different types of grass. The stronger versions heal you for more.

I can't find the closer option either unfortunately. They probably removed it or something

Gamespot just posted a video showing the classic camera and filter. So it would be pretty odd if it was removed, yet they specifically mention it being a feature of their video. Your character is still a bit out in the distance with both, but the newer one snaps back a little closer to the player.

Last edited:

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico

4. Yes, in a sense, yes, that's the whole point of the game. Getting better little by little, exploring the world reaching a little farther each time, until you fight a boss, beat it and try again in the next area.

5. When you die, you lost half your HP bar (you enter 'soul' form). The only way to recover it, it's to kill a boss (and you go back to 'human' form). If you die again, then you lost half the bar once again. There are some items that can help you to have more HP in 'soul' form, tho.

PantherLotus

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks everyone. This reminds me of the very very first dungeon crawlers I ever played on NES — Castlevania and Wizards n Warriors. You just might have to play it 1000 times.

definitely a DORMMAMU IVE COME TO BARGAIN vibe

Jun 23, 2019
Ok guys about to start this. Haven't played this game in literally years. Last Souls game I beat was Sekiro. What should I start with class wise and what items do I need to look for?

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
its always done that. its annoying when an enemy jumps off an edge and you yourself fall off because of the lock-on.

This is precisely why I kept dying to a certain mid-game boss on my first playthrough with the original. I felt like I was catapulted off the side to my death. Had to learn to play without lock-on for that fight.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Haha nah you're good man. I read magic was op but so far I'm not very good with it. I don't think I've ever chosen a magic class in any game ever.

Magic makes the game easier for any build (buffs, auxiliary effects), but in terms of the "Magic is OP" comments, that's for a select few spells that you won't have just starting out. Early game, Soul Arrow isn't as "OP" as it is simply a way for you to kill early game enemies at a distance, especially a particular type that can easily kill you in two hits. Soul Arrow isn't meant to be cast at a closer range, and in a way is a trap for new players who want to focus exclusively on trying to be a "Wizard" or whatever. While there are a few enemy types early on where Soul Arrow spamming somewhat trivializes them, it also takes an awful long time in some cases when waiting on your mana to regen.

Even if you end up trying to play more at ranged than within melee distance, you would still want to learn the fundamentals of melee combat, which includes blocking, parrying, riposting, backstabbing and especially dodging. Later on when you have more mana and a larger selection of spells, you can start leaning more into using those as your primary attack method, but it's still good to know the basics.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
How can you tell what stats you need to wield a weapon? I can't tell from the weapon UI. Like my bastard sword needs 2H and I'm trying to figure out what strength I need to wield it one-handed.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
The amount of detail in the environments in this game is absolutely staggering. I'm simply just looking around in awe a lot of the time after clearing a section. Using the telescope is another great way to take it all in with a first person perspective.

Also loving the added animations and sound design for combat. Everything just seems more visceral. I love it.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Not the best at Souls games...but for Tower Knight...

What's the best strategy as a knight? I think I have heavier armor so I don't roll as fast. I should try to take down the archers first obviously. And then should I use pine-resin to add fire and go for the knight's ankles?

I'm rolling (pun intended) knight, as I've done in the past. My strategy for the Tower Knight is to wait for him to be in a neutral defensive pose and sprint basically right at him, or curving a smidge to his right, and then either through his legs or just around them. It'll often trigger his shield slam attack, which does impact around his leg area as well but has nowhere near the reach as it does in front of him. This lets you sprint, trigger the attack, either roll (including weighted) or keep sprinting a smidge to get out of range of the attack's backend then just go straight for his heels. Rinse/repeat.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
How can you tell what stats you need to wield a weapon? I can't tell from the weapon UI. Like my bastard sword needs 2H and I'm trying to figure out what strength I need to wield it one-handed.

Unless they completely changed the weapon UI, it should be listed on whatever you are trying to wield. You need to go into the inventory and actually select the piece of gear you want to use, which should then open up the screen that shows the weapon's effects, what stats it scales with as well as the requirements. In the original, the requirements were shown on the bottom left side of the weapon UI. In Demon's you get 1.5x strength while two-handing a weapon. That sword in particular used to take 18 strength to use one-handed I think.

Last edited: