• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
His face is silver. Bluepoint changed it because they wanted to.

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The fat official did feel very Japanese, even back then in his apparent demeanor, physicality and the creepy grin.

This is a downgrade for sure, but if it's the price to pay to get a remake of this caliber, I'm cool. What I'm less cool with is the music, though... I would build an altar to BP if they got the original OST in there.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
What they've done to Maiden in Black is even worse.

Every studio, no matter how great, has that one fault that's hard to ignore I suppose. In Bluepoint's case, it's taking the original design of an iconic or semi-iconic or quasi-iconic character... and fucking it up!

educate me, what they did to Maiden in Black? i bet it is UNFORGIVABLE and TRASHED FROM'S IMMACULATED VISION!

Bigmac

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto

Every studio, no matter how great, has that one fault that's hard to ignore I suppose. In Bluepoint's case, it's taking the original design of an iconic or semi-iconic or quasi-iconic character... and fucking it up!

This is definitely the first change I've been bummed out about. The others are alright, but I wish they'd just taken a look at the concept art and followed that vs redesigning in this case. The cracked smiling mask made these characters so much more creepy/ unsettling, and the outfits with the gold trim had these sort of regal look. Now theyve got these nasty exposed stomachs too.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand what the backlash is to people wanting designs to be closer to the original's. This isn't a bunch of delusional fans screaming that the game should be 30fps and 1080p because "that was the original intent" - the art design has changed in translating the original game to its new context. Some people will like that change, but others won't. The game is a remake of a beloved classic so it should be understandable that any deviation from the original from an artistic standpoint would see more scrutiny.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
On the one hand I suck at souls games
On the other, the PS5 has tips and guides to get through games
On the other other hand this game looks fire

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Fat Official redesign is a bit jarring at first, but I think it fits with the aesthetic overhaul of Boletaria. Looks like something out of a Cronenberg movie.

Urishizu

Dead Drop Studios Founder
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
PS5 shipping notification - Check! Just pre-ordered Digital Deluxe - Check! My umbasa is ready!

poncle

Oct 28, 2017
London
Original design was overall better, anyway does the fat official in the remake have facial animations? Does he grin basically?

ArchAngel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wow just saw that Sony made native dubs for Europe.
Will play in German the first time and change every NG+ :D

Starburns

Oct 30, 2017
Denver
I'm suddenly super tempted to pick this up. I finished Bloodborne, but have bounced off all three Dark Souls after 10/2/5 hours, respectively. Wondering if this might be a good re-entry point.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Original design was overall better, anyway does the fat official in the remake have facial animations? Does he grin basically?

Kind of, but he looks meaner overall.

6MNxLNb.png

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that fat official redesign is lame. Taking away the uncanny elements (the silvery skin and golden rictus) and instead emphasizing the "fat" aspect of the character with the exposed belly is a very "missing the forest for the trees" kind of thing where they exaggerate the core characteristic and get rid of the weirdness that actually made the character memorable and effective. Maybe it looks better in the actual game and in motion tho

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
damn, he really does look like a boomer from L4D

I'm still looking forward to the game but I'm also totally going to play the original someday too. The original vision has value and should not be forgotten.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020

What is even wrong with Maiden in Black now?
Jeez, it never ends lmao

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I wonder if some of the redesigns are a way for Sony to kind of distinguish it further from Dark Souls.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
This is a remake not a remaster. The art design always changes on these games.

I don't think it's wrong though for fans to want a remaster on better hardware to be the "definitive" Demon's Souls experience. Making unnecessary changes to the art muddles it and in cases like the Fat Official I don't see why it was necessary to do so.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Watching the ExServ stream, the quality increase of the CaC is welcomed, I'm a suck for that and you can hide the helmet :) I forget if it's possible to change the character at any time? Been so long since I played DS.

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
To those commenting on the redesigns... remember the OG will always exist if that one makes you happier

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
The AUDACITY to whine about 'Bluepoint stans' (lmao) when nearly every change from the lighting to the music is met by "B-B-B-BUT MIYAZAKI-SAN'S VISION! THEY'RE RUINING THE ORIGINAL!!!" is nothing short of laughable. Get a grip.

And why is any criticism of the remake direction met with this pathetic, tired and frankly, bullshit line that people are saying anything about Miyazaki's vision. You guys are far more tiresome & antagonistic to be honest. There is no actual discussion from you, just deflection from criticism with that BS.

Oct 30, 2017
For me I have to wait till the 19th :-(

One more week and I will seriously shut myself out in my apartment from the rest of the world, the original is one of my all time favorite games and this is a dream comes true specially being a launch title.. what a way to start a new generation :'-)

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
You're right. The OG will always exist in a console from two generations ago available only in physical form and with dead servers.
Its a shame Bluepoint did not go the Halo route and have an option to swap back and forwards from new to old. I guess thats just so much more work.