• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
2) It deprives us of useful game tips
All the more reason to make in-game tutorialization better. Honestly, I always felt that resorting to staring at a loading screen for useful game play "tips" felt like a bit of a cop-out on developers' parts. Plus, many of them don't account for newer hardware loading the game more quickly, making those tips pretty much unreadable on some configurations.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
People have been saying that when you touch the archstones in the remake they should just open up a portal or something Ratchet & Clank style.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
God I can't wait for this game...

good thing you only have to wait less than 8 weeks!

i still can't believe i'm going to be playing this thing on a PS5 in less than 2 months. Demon's Souls was always my favorite of the "knights and dragons" Souls games from From Software (Bloodborne is probably my favorite overall Souls game, as the gothic setting is one of my favorite settings), so I'm beyond elated that Demon's Souls PS5 is a reality. There was a part of me that thought that if we hadn't seen it on PS4, we just weren't going to get a remaster at all. A complete Remake is beyond my expectations. I'm just like, wow. Demon's Souls is back, and a day one title. It can't be said enough how much Sony is crushing the first year of the PS5. Especially when you compare it to the first year of the PS4 (I actually enjoyed the first year of the PS3, because I loved Resistance: Fall of Man, Warhawk, Folklore, Heavenly Sword, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, and Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction. by comparison, the PS4's first year wasn't nearly as strong for me, though I did enjoy quite a few games, and some multi-platform/cross-gen titles).

EDIT: On the topic of tool tips, Ghost of Tsushima's are hilarious in how completely useless they are on loading screens. lol The tooltips themselves are great, but it would be kind of nice to have been able to read them during loading screens. I'm still blown away at how fast the load times on that game is, and it being a PS4 title. I really hope it gets a PS5 patch. I'm going to hold off playing the co-op mode until then anyway. Maybe. I'm excited for that as well.

Last edited:

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
How are people happy about this? This is not true to Miyazaki's vision.
lol, you almost had me!
I know you're being sarcastic, but there are some that surprisingly want this. They could do what Part II does. It has insanely fast loadtimes when you die, but it sends you to a hint screen and gives you an X prompt to return to the game.
I've seen people argue for this, Nioh does this but tbh I don't like it. I just mash X until the X appears. :P

Tutorial hints and artworks can be in menus or whatever, loading screens are completely unnecessary.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Hmmm true but then you don't have anything to look forward too or if you missed anything. Also what about when you die and need that loading time to cool off.
What does this even mean? You start in a safe area, you have the option to take all the time you need to cool off or jump in immediately, how is that worse than a forced 15 to 25 seconds of wait? Why limit everyone playing the game in favor of the few with no self control that they need a loading screen to give them time to cool off?!

This is ridiculous, most recent example is Nioh 2 having something like 3 to 5 seconds loading screens when you die not too far from the shrine and it's one of the best new features of the game, I've yet to see anyone complaining about shorter load time there and honestly thought those who were doing it here were joking! :|

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
As a final follow up to the analysis and other information/speculation that I had posted about in here is this:

Note carefully what level the player reappears in- A relatively small room with comparatively very few assets. The aforementioned transitional animation period of ~3.9s acts as a buffer so that other more complex levels (ideally) load within the same time budget. So in retrospect it is quite ingenious that by adhering to OG DeS's design tricks, BP have managed to incorporate an equalizer.

Thank you for the additional info. If you don't mind, can I add your suggested post underneath the OP?

By all means and thank you.

Yeah. Cerny said they targeted at least a raw speed of 2GB in .27 seconds your numbers are pretty in line I'd say it might even be even faster.

Thank you for following up in this thread because I ought to have greater detail in the OG post that I later did in this one pertaining to detailing the load times.

Jul 25, 2020
I'll be impressed if characters actually have facial animations and move their mouths while talking lol
The maiden in black doesn't move her mouth in this remake ,the blacksmith in dark souls 1 does :P
But yeah Elden Ring won't come anywhere close to these graphics, you can expect graphics slightly better than sekiro.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
good thing you only have to wait less than 8 weeks!

i still can't believe i'm going to be playing this thing on a PS5 in less than 2 months. Demon's Souls was always my favorite of the "knights and dragons" Souls games from From Software (Bloodborne is probably my favorite overall Souls game, as the gothic setting is one of my favorite settings), so I'm beyond elated that Demon's Souls PS5 is a reality. There was a part of me that thought that if we hadn't seen it on PS4, we just weren't going to get a remaster at all. A complete Remake is beyond my expectations. I'm just like, wow. Demon's Souls is back, and a day one title. It can't be said enough how much Sony is crushing the first year of the PS5. Especially when you compare it to the first year of the PS4 (I actually enjoyed the first year of the PS3, because I loved Resistance: Fall of Man, Warhawk, Folklore, Heavenly Sword, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, and Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction. by comparison, the PS4's first year wasn't nearly as strong for me, though I did enjoy quite a few games, and some multi-platform/cross-gen titles).

EDIT: On the topic of tool tips, Ghost of Tsushima's are hilarious in how completely useless they are on loading screens. lol The tooltips themselves are great, but it would be kind of nice to have been able to read them during loading screens. I'm still blown away at how fast the load times on that game is, and it being a PS4 title. I really hope it gets a PS5 patch. I'm going to hold off playing the co-op mode until then anyway. Maybe. I'm excited for that as well.
cry RESISTANCE, Warhawk cry

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What does this even mean? You start in a safe area, you have the option to take all the time you need to cool off or jump in immediately, how is that worse than a forced 15 to 25 seconds of wait? Why limit everyone playing the game in favor of the few with no self control that they need a loading screen to give them time to cool off?!

This is ridiculous, most recent example is Nioh 2 having something like 3 to 5 seconds loading screens when you die not too far from the shrine and it's one of the best new features of the game, I've yet to see anyone complaining about shorter load time there and honestly thought those who were doing it here were joking! :|

I should have added a /s to my initial message. I'm all up for no load times it was a joke.

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cool. I've got a copy of DS3 somewhere, I was planning to play it but then Demon's Souls got announced. Plus DS3 doesn't run that well on current-gen.
I'm pretty sure most of the Souls community considers it the better game. There's a lot of nostalgia for DeS but the Souls series improved a lot over time. DS3 has some truly incredible boss fights.

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
I think when you think about it, the specs say - 8-9 GB per second compressed transfer, the system only has like 16GB Ram, some goes to OS, it saves plenty of things and probably only has to swap out 8GB to load in a new level. So it makes sense if each 'level' envelope is under 8GB it should beat or be close to a second load on average.

OP
OP
Equanimity

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London

oldboss

Nov 9, 2017
Loading screens pictures on the first thread page reminded me of how much I want to see Yurt's remake armor!!! Most beautiful souls armor ever.

one

Nov 30, 2017
Once you get used to this, you won't be able to go back to a longer loading time including that of Xbox Series X

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would it be fine if I jump straight to the third game? I haven't played the first two dark souls, and don't intend to either.
If you don't care about the lore, then yep! I don't find the lore that compelling really. These are gameplay-first games to me. DS3 is my favorite of the series. I think the split among the community is between 1 and 3, though you'll find a few others who just really loved DeS (a game that, to me, was a great base framework that has been improved upon considerably). DS3's DLC is amazing too.

If you count Bloodborne into the mix, I think you'll find a lot more who consider that the best.

Last edited:

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
cry RESISTANCE, Warhawk cry

D':

I really want a Resistance Trilogy HD Remaster. I'd also love if Warhawk made a triumphant return. One of the very few MP games I was addicted to. It was the most fun I had in an MP game since the original Halo. I definitely feel like nowadays, Warhawk could have some legitimate success in the MP space. At the time, its mix of 3rd person shooting, vehicle combat, and aircraft combat was really fresh and unique. I still can't think of a modern MP game that's similar.

I think what I enjoyed the most about Warhawk was that feeling of scale. Of being part of a big battle where everyone was just battling it out in their own squads, and shifting objectives as the battle conditions shifted. Running across the field watching dogfights in the air, then hopping in a warhawk yourself was so much fun.

OP
OP
Equanimity

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
If you don't care about the lore, then yep! I don't find the lore that compelling really. These are gameplay-first games to me. DS3 is my favorite of the series. I think the split among the community is between 1 and 3, though you'll find a few others who just really loved DeS (a game that, to me, was a great base framework that has been improved upon considerably). DS3's DLC is amazing too.

If you count Bloodborne into the mix, I think you'll find a lot more who consider that the best.

I would have given it try sometime next week but it doesn't run so well on either current-gen machines. I'll probably wait until I get one of the two next gen console, and play it there.

I've completed Bloodborne, it's the most difficult yet rewarding game I've ever played. It's one of my favourites this gen.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Would it be fine if I jump straight to the third game? I haven't played the first two dark souls, and don't intend to either.

Personally, I'd say Dark Souls 3 gains a lot from having played the first game, at least. There are some big reveals and callouts that you won't get otherwise, and the connections are cool (to me, at least). The first game is incredible in its own right and very special, but it is, admittedly, a bit clunky and janky at times.

Last edited:

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
dying in games wont be so bad no more.... the worst ive experience is the witcher 1 minute load times after dying

NutterB

Oct 27, 2017
SSD's are a big game changer;

edit... didnt realize the gif shows a fast teleport. GOOD GOOD.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
D':

I really want a Resistance Trilogy HD Remaster. I'd also love if Warhawk made a triumphant return. One of the very few MP games I was addicted to. It was the most fun I had in an MP game since the original Halo. I definitely feel like nowadays, Warhawk could have some legitimate success in the MP space. At the time, its mix of 3rd person shooting, vehicle combat, and aircraft combat was really fresh and unique. I still can't think of a modern MP game that's similar.

I think what I enjoyed the most about Warhawk was that feeling of scale. Of being part of a big battle where everyone was just battling it out in their own squads, and shifting objectives as the battle conditions shifted. Running across the field watching dogfights in the air, then hopping in a warhawk yourself was so much fun.
I'd drop $100 easy on either Resistance trilogy
Warhawk or
M.A.G. (and use some hard AI if they gotta fill out the numbers)

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'd drop $100 easy on either Resistance trilogy
Warhawk or
M.A.G. (and use some hard AI if they gotta fill out the numbers)

I know Insomniac doesn't have any desire to return to the Resistance IP, but I'd be more than happy if Bluepoint took on a Remaster once they finish up Demon's Souls. Who knows what they're even working on next, now that DS should be going gold in the next few weeks. I'm also fully expecting them to officially join the PlayStation Studios family after DS releases. I have a feeling the game is going to be quite a commercial hit, even with the PS5's smaller install base.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I would have given it try sometime next week but it doesn't run so well on either current-gen machines. I'll probably wait until I get one of the two next gen console, and play it there.

I've completed Bloodborne, it's the most difficult yet rewarding game I've ever played. It's one of my favourites this gen.
If you like Bloodborne, you should 100 percent play Dark Souls 3. It's basically the lovechild of Dark Souls and Bloodborne. If you're really into the lore, you shoudl watch some Lore videos on Dark Souls 1, but I don't necessarily think its required playing.

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Man y'all remember those minute+ load times on launch Bloodborne with no art or text or anything fun? So brutal. Good riddance to load times.

Belker

Oct 27, 2017
Really? I thought that the PS5 was using some magic SSD jiggery polery that kade fast technology aubstantially faster.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I've always wondered how this loading will work for multiplayer games like cod.

Will it be 1-2 seconds from lobby to start of match? Not sure how it works in an online environment.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I've always wondered how this loading will work for multiplayer games like cod.

Will it be 1-2 seconds from lobby to start of match? Not sure how it works in an online environment.
Depends on connection might intro some extra latency. But expect anything on the system to load under 3 -4 seconds. System is spec for ~.27 to load 2GB X 13.5 available ram. I think when we see the UI it's going to totally fuck with our heads. I really think this thing switches as fast as a cell phone when switching apps And loading.

Anastasis

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on connection might intro some extra latency. But expect anything on the system to load under 3 -4 seconds. System is spec for ~.27 to load 2GB X 13.5 available ram. I think when we see the UI it's going to totally fuck with our heads. I really think this thing switches as fast as a cell phone when switching apps And loading.
Am I evil for wanting a PS5 walled garden for MP? I love the idea of cross-play, but if I don't have to wait for the player on an HDD on a PS4, I don't want to.