• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Bad change IMO

1) It removes the pleasure of looking at the concept art
2) It deprives us of useful game tips
3) It makes dying in Souls games less punishing if you can just instantly respawn

As a hardcore gamer, I will take long breaks in between each death equal to the way the original game was designed.
As for 3 it could make it more annoying though, no cooldown, just you getting ponded over and over. I know my 6 hour marathon vs Orphan was made slightly easier by getting little breathers [*read wanting to cry*] before being back on the sticks.

VG Aficionado

Nov 6, 2017
It might be counterproductive too! For casual players it will encourage mindlessly repeating the same strategies (read: mash buttons).

But sure, for experienced players it's a godsend. And anything that makes a game more accessible to anyone is great in my book.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
As for 3 it could make it more annoying though, no cooldown, just you getting ponded over and over. I know my 6 hour marathon vs Orphan was made slightly easier by getting little breathers [*read wanting to cry*] before being back on the sticks.
I was happy about the news of faster loading (because I hate dying a lot and waiting during loading) ,but you make a good point XD

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (3 Days) - Trolling across numerous posts
Care to elaborate why it's not impressive at all? Being able to almost instantly load anywhere, in a 4K game?
For a start it's a PS3 game at heart. Secondly, I'll be expecting this to be the norm on PS5. They've relentlessly talked about how there is no loading screens now.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
For a start it's a PS3 game at heart. Secondly, I'll be expecting this to be the norm on PS5. They've relentlessly talked about how there is no loading screens now.

What does it being a REMAKE of a PS3 game have to do with anything? It's a next-gen game now.

Ok you expect it to be norm thus it's not impressive? It's a mighty impressive norm.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The scope is PS3 though, the mechanics etc. We saw R&C load a whole different world instantly already as well.

There's clearly a transition effect they want to include. Could they zap the player to a new space without that transition for an even faster load than the already super fast sub-1 second load time?

Probably.

But it would be disorientating as fuck and probably look quite cheap

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, that was a real "whoa" moment when I saw the gameplay footage. The loading times have always been my bugbear with these games, especially giving the amount of times you die.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't really fit with modern gaming.

* The original gave you 10-20 seconds. This was enough time to look at your phone, maybe fire off a quick message, maybe check a sporting score.
* Games like Fall guys give you enough time between rounds to get up, stretch, maybe go to the fridge and get a drink.
* Popular games like red dead redemption 2 gave you ample time between action to read a novel, go for a long bike ride, maybe complete a much better game from start to finish.

This is barely enough time to scratch yourself and it just isn't going to work.

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
Nioh 2 has fast load times, though not as fast as this, but it never was an issue for me. Dying was still frustrating and I was still motivated to try again. Only I didn't have to wait for ages to load the game, which was a plus.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
The scope is PS3 though, the mechanics etc. We saw R&C load a whole different world instantly already as well.
And they have some infamously long loading (I remember some 40+ sec load times in Demon's), we know the scope of Soul's games levels, they are usually fairly big and open, that's where the PS3 roots end, loading them with PS5 assets in sub 1 sec is very impressive. I agree R&C is more impressive, but more than 1 thing can be impressive.

It's stuff like Demon's Soul near instant loading that will really aged past gens, not necessarily pretty graphics or stuff like world hopping in R&C, just the instant back on the sticks factor will be extremely jarring when you play older stuff.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
And they have some infamously long loading (I remember some 40+ sec load times in Demon's), we know the scope of Soul's games levels, they are usually fairly big and open, that's where the PS3 roots end, loading them with PS5 assets in sub 1 sec is very impressive. I agree R&C is more impressive, but more than 1 thing can be impressive.

It's stuff like Demon's Soul near instant loading that will really aged past gens, not necessarily pretty graphics or stuff like world hopping in R&C, just the instant back on the sticks factor will be extremely jarring when you play older stuff.

I'm finding it incredibly difficult as gen goes on to deal with loading.

Was going to play through outer world's again and saw it load on XSS even though it wasn't made for next gen it was 5 times quicker.

I'm wondering how games like Destiny will be. They still need to drop you into a world. I wonder how much is loading time for console how much for their servers.

Oct 30, 2017
This what made me most excited to see in Demon's Souls.... no loading time!!

No loading time going back to level up and return to the level or Upon death!

My mind still can't process this.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I'm finding it incredibly difficult as gen goes on to deal with loading.

Was going to play through outer world's again and saw it load on XSS even though it wasn't made for next gen it was 5 times quicker.

I'm wondering how games like Destiny will be. They still need to drop you into a world. I wonder how much is loading time for console how much for their servers.
Same, I stopped playing Destiny due to loading and it's pretty much my number 1 complaint for most games I play nowadays.

As for Destiny I think it'll still be slow, incomparision to next gen games, as it also matchmakes and just has a lot of different loading points, but should be significantly faster than current gen for stuff like the Tower, strikes, patrols (Crucible will probably be same, as it as cross-gen play), menus and stuff should be pretty much instant and we shouldn't get stuff like when you freeze with "loading area" like you don't on PC usually, which would just be very nice.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
welcome to SSD folks, you're gonna enjoy what we had on PC for years!

(i'm not mocking anyone or anything, i'm legit glad that everyone will be able to experience that now)

Oct 27, 2017
Bad change IMO

1) It removes the pleasure of looking at the concept art
2) It deprives us of useful game tips
3) It makes dying in Souls games less punishing if you can just instantly respawn

As a hardcore gamer, I will take long breaks in between each death equal to the way the original game was designed.

You could jab yourself in the ribs with a blunt butter knife as well so you get some of the sensation of what your character would have felt when they died.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Its literally over 10x faster.
Can we get a BB or DS3 comparison. Want to see how it compares to PS4 loading.

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
Seems possible, but this trailer has another hidden cut (when you enter the boss fog wall) so I'm not completely convinced that they haven't just cut out the loading.

Last edited:

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
Man souls games where you're back in an instant after dying is what we need. Bloodborne at launch was pretty horrible with the wait to respawn.

Ravio-li

Dec 24, 2018
Tbf this loading screen was always wierd in the tutorial. It connects 2 super short sections, no reason to have a loading screen at all.
Will be interesting to see if they manage to get some actual loading after death to be this short.

Man souls games where you're back in an instant after dying is what we need. Bloodborne at launch was pretty horrible with the wait to respawn.

sounds like Souls on PC xD

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Are there actually people seriously complaining about fast/no load time now? LMAO!
This thread reminded me of that Gears 2 review that complained about the game being too good.
Some people just love to wait 10-15 seconds for the game to load, LOL.
Instant loads is the killer next gen feature for me, a game changer. Fighting games will benefit the most of this.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
And just think, Demon's Souls was designed around the limitations of slow I/O throughput. The long hallways and corridors essentially act as disguised secondary loading screens to load in and store assets in RAM that will be used when the player turns a corner or enters a new room 15+ seconds later.

Just think of how the entire design layout and environment structure could change in a potential new Souls game when those limitations are removed.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Seems possible, but this trailer has another hidden cut (when you enter the boss fog wall) so I'm not completely convinced that they haven't just cut out the loading.

The fog walls were never loading screens, just a barrier to obscure your view of the next area and to wall off different places for PVP invasions.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
This thread reminded me of that Gears 2 review that complained about the game being too good.
Some people just love to wait 10-15 seconds for the game to load, LOL.
Instant loads is the killer next gen feature for me, a game changer. Fighting games will benefit the most of this.

100 percent, next gen consoles will actually enable one to get better at games faster. Think how many rounds of sfv you could get in on ps5 compared to PS4!!!