• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you call it?

• Demon's Souls

Votes: 228 57.1%
  • Demon Souls

Votes: 146 36.6%
  • Demon is Souls

Votes: 25 6.3%

• Total voters

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
box-art-jp.jpg

I'm not talking about the game being weird, but literally the title.

"Demon's Souls"

Is there a story behind how the name came to be? Yeah there are literally Demon's Souls in this game, but that's not the aspect i'm talking about. I mostly bring this up because so often it's referred to as Demon Souls instead (Guess that rolls off the tongue better like Dark Souls). Is there a reason why the Demon needs to be possessive of the souls? There's probably no real answer to this other than "That's what they wanted" but it has always bugged me as Dark Souls and Bloodborne are much more to the point and don't have such an angle to them.

If no one cares, we can just talk about that remaster which isn't happening but totally is happening instead.
0c1.gif

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I think I have always typed Demons' Souls because I thought the title was weird. I never thought what I typed was better or anything though, lol.

I like calling Doom Eternal "Doom 5" too though, so I might actually just be some annoying dork...
edit: Oh right, I also always, always type "Assassins' Creed" too, and not "Assassin's Creed"

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
To have a soul means you can show emotion, which means that for a Demon or Devil to have a soul they have to also cry sometimes. Wait. Devil Cry sometimes. Of course. Demon Slayer

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, it's hella awkward. I'd be fine with Bluepoint tweaking the title to "Demon Souls" or something.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think you can justify both forms. Demon's Souls - referring to the Old One (or perhaps yourself). Demon Souls - each demon possesses their own soul, the player takes possession by defeating them. I prefer the latter, rolls off the tongue more easily.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think the idea is that the demon is you and you're collecting souls

Why the possessive, you ask? Here's why:

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Is there a reason why the Demon needs to be possessive of the souls?
The game starts with the idea that the King has turned into a tyrannical demon and has been hoarding souls, and over time the script is flipped: You are the demon and they are your souls now. There is also the fact that the Old One is a gigantic demon that can only be lulled to sleep with powerful souls, often influenced by its own presence.

The game's central dichotomy is about greed and selflessness, exemplified by the Slayer of Demons and the game's final choice to lull the old one back to slumber or submit to its promise of power. Thus, Demon's Souls.

Not that weird, rather, extremely appropriate.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
I have never

And I mean never

Never ever

Understood how people can struggle to pronounce this.

Like... There's so many times in so many contexts you make the same repeating "s" thing.

Did none of you ever know that she sells seashells by the shore?

Baloota

May 12, 2018
Egypt
The game starts with the idea that the King has turned into a tyrannical demon and has been hoarding souls, and over time the script is flipped: You are the demon and they are your souls now. There is also the fact that the Old One is a gigantic demon that can only be lulled to sleep with powerful souls, often influenced by its own presence.

The game's central dichotomy is about greed and selflessness, exemplified by the Slayer of Demons and the game's final choice to lull the old one back to slumber or submit to its promise of power. Thus, Demon's Souls.

This

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
The 's in Demon's and S in Souls coming one after the other makes it a little awkward to say, but at this point, who cares?

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Those that voted "Demon's Souls", do you actually speak it that way? I always write the correct game title, but actually saying it is extremely clunky unless you are focusing hard on articulation and intentionally pause between the two words.

As for the actual name itself, it's only odd until you take a few seconds to figure out what it represents, or could represent.

Last edited:

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I feel like adding a "The" would make it all flow better.

"The Demon's Souls"

Or alternatively, "Souls of the Demon".

More generic but it's not like "Demon's Souls" was the pinnacle of Video Game names.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Demon's Souls: the Dark Souls of game titles

I shall abuse my mod powers and take the liberty to threadmark this Very Nice Post.

Bring more souls

SoulsHunt

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Oh that thread again.

Nice insight.

Oct 25, 2017
I've never talked about this game in real life, so the only time I ever bother to speak it out loud is when these threads pop up. It does sound weird, but whatever.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017

Thank you. Not that difficult to understand. Who cares how it sounds rolling off the tongue.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
It's fine, the S's run together when you say it but it reads fine.

Also
www.resetera.com

Should the Demon's Souls remaster/remake be named "Demon Souls"?

I always felt like the title "Demon's Souls" was kind of awkward. The "s" at the end of "Demon's" blends into the "S" in "Souls" and it just doesn't feel good to say. You're basically already saying Demon Souls unless you specifically emphasize the apostrophe-s at the end of Demon's. Do you...

SoulsHunt

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
The title actually refers to the player, the player's souls. During the journey, the player becomes a Demon (Maiden Astrea's fight... for instance). So yes "the souls of the demon" becomes "Demon's Souls".

Even the title is hard to understand, really is a Souls game.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's why the Bluepoint remake is going to change it to Demon Souls.

They did say it was more of a "re-imagining" after all.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
Those that voted "Demon's Souls", do you actually speak it that way? I always write the correct game title, but actually saying it is extremely clunky unless you are focusing hard on articulation and intentionally pause between the two words.

As for the actual name itself, it's only odd until you take a few seconds to figure out what it represents, or could represent.
Why is it any more difficult that saying Jack's sandwich, or hapless sinner, or yes sir, or any other phrase or sequence of words you might say where one word ends with s and the next begins with s. I'm not trying to be aggressive, btw, I'm just legitimately confused every time this topic comes up. What about it is awkward or difficult?

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Why is it any more difficult that saying Jack's sandwich, or hapless sinner, or yes sir, or any other phrase or sequence of words you might say where one word ends with s and the next begins with s. I'm not trying to be aggressive, btw, I'm just legitimately confused every time this topic comes up. What about it is awkward or difficult?

Because when you actually say "Demon's Souls" in the course of a conversation, in the way a person would normally speak, it comes out like "Demon Souls" unless you intentionally break between the two words. Saying that you don't, makes it seems like you would always speak in an oddly syncopated manner that is unnatural. Or just rather slow.

Last edited:

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Because when you actually say "Demon's Souls" in the course of a conversation, in the way a person would normally speak, it comes out like "Demon Souls" unless you intentionally break between the two words. Saying that you don't, makes it seems like you would always speak in an oddly syncopated manner that is unnatural.
Linguistically there isn't much difference. The conjunction in Demon's Souls is, in most variants of english, drifted to become a Z (voiced alveolar sibilant): diːmənz səʊlz

That is to say that the 's and the S that starts the word Souls (voiceless alveolar sibilant) are often pronounced differently. You don't need to syncopate your speech to say it clearly. That isn't to say that some people don't, just that it isn't necessarily a supersibilant conjunction.