• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Every level/world is amazing in this one. While Dark has some way cooler levels (Anor Londo, Oolacile), it also has really bad ones too. Demon's is consistent in that it's all good. My favorite is of course world 3-1 and 3-2 Tower of Latria.

While I would be excited for Bluepoint to be remaking it, if they were to make a world 6, then I would prefer from pretty much doing it for them

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
A critically important game for obvious reasons, but every From Soft release after it greatly surpassed it, IMO.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Didn't played the asian import but I remember how people went crazy for it.

Hope they'll offer the composer to re-arrange the original soundtrack for the remake.

Ocirus

Dec 4, 2017
For some reason I'd swear it's been longer. It's impressive how quickly they were able to churn out quality games during an 11 year span.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
I'd rather have a remaster, the game is only 11 years old

A 4k remaster and 60fps would be more than enough, a remake would be better but also pointless when a remaster would be just as good

At least wait another generation before remaking it. There are so many more interesting games from the 90s that could be remade. At least pick a game where you can change it a little from the original like RE2 and FFVII

A 1-to-1 SoTC style remake would be a waste in my opinion

me too, but at least a remake justify the $60 price more than a remaster, even if it's 60fps. the remake is a new game from the ground up.

Demon's is a classic and a remaster is not thaaaat system seller for a PS5 launch title, people would be very upset if one of the games is a remaster. the remake sounds much better and given Bluepoint's track record, it will remain a classic.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
me too, but at least a remake justify the $60 price more than a remaster, even if it's 60fps. the remake is a new game from the ground up.

Demon's is a classic and a remaster is not thaaaat system seller for a PS5 launch title, people would be very upset if one of the games is a remaster. the remake sounds much better and given Bluepoint's track record, it will remain a classic.

I mean, Blurpoint are probably making it, because it's the popular and boring choice, but I'd rather they remake a game that could really use it, and then have Demon's Souls come out as a remaster

Last edited:

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
After the Dark Souls Remaster fell short of expectations, I'm more than happy with a Bluepoint remake.

Well I'm sure you'll get your wish, but when you look at the huge number of games that could do with a remake, A 2009 PS3 game would be pretty far down on my list, more so as it will play almost identically to the original anyway, so it's just going to be a ton of effort for a visual upgrade and nothing more

When you see remakes that can offer a new take on the original, such as RE2 and FFVII, Demon's Souls seems like a really boring and safe choice to me

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Well I'm sure you'll get your wish, but when you look at the huge number of games that could do with a remake, A 2009 PS3 game would be pretty far down on my list, more so as it will play almost identically to the original anyway, so it's just going to be a ton of effort for a visual upgrade and nothing more

When you see remakes that can offer a new take on the original, such as RE2 and FFVII, Demon's Souls seems like a really boring and safe choice to me
It's more about striking while the iron is hot. Souls games are still pretty in demand based on how many Souls-likes there are. Bringing forward their exclusive Souls game as a PS5 launch or launch window title would be crazy good marketing. Any longer and people just might not be as hyped.

A Demon's Souls remake can still offer a lot, too. QoL improvements on world tendency, a restored 6th archstone, etc.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's more about striking while the iron is hot. Souls games are still pretty in demand based on how many Souls-likes there are. Bringing forward their exclusive Souls game as a PS5 launch or launch window title would be crazy good marketing. Any longer and people just might not be as hyped.

A Demon's Souls remake can still offer a lot, too. QoL improvements on world tendency, a restored 6th archstone, etc.

If you want new content why not ask for Demon's Souls 2? That would be a lot more exciting to me than the same game again, but prettier and with new content authored by someone other than From

But people seem to get more excited over remakes than new games a lot of the time now, just look at how many remake thirst threads we get

I agree it's probably a good marketing move, and remakes are hot right now, so it's the safe move, it's just not very exciting in my opinion

el_galvon

Jun 13, 2019
One of the most important games of my life. It was simply one of those games that reminded me how much I love this media.

It was the last game that I played on my PS3 before I sold the console.

I don't even care if they make a full remake or just a simple port, just make this masterpiece more available for anyone who wants to play.

Umbasa

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I'll ever forget my first playthrough of Demon's Souls. I was young, none of us had figured out "Souls" yet, and everything was brand new. The review I wrote of that game after playing the HK import is one of the things that I look back on fondly from when I was still writing about games - it wasn't a great review, especially compared to my later coverage of other games, but seeing the way the entire gaming community embraced this weird little nonsense game from Japan NO ONE had any faith in after I played it and loved it was so damn heartwarming.

That stupid blue dragon in the Boletarian Palace will never not give me stress flashbacks though. I spent three straight hours plinking it to death with arrows.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I think Something Awful's thread on the game did a great deal to help the game reach other regions, importers practically saved it (Or at least ensured publishers would release the game elsewhere when Sony didn't want to).

It was such a refreshing experience to play, from the way combat matter every step of the way, and of course it revolutionised multiplayer. I remember at the time people were so confused as to what the multiplayer system actually meant, but over a decade on it's a common feature in a lot of games (Or at least in Soulslike games unless I'm mistaken).

The atmosphere was pitch perfect too, and I felt Dark Souls kinda lacked a little bit in comparison. Valley Of Defilement and Latria were the absolute best stages for this, the team put a lot of effort to making the disease ridden regions and oppressive prison just plain work. It's horror that isn't too scary to drive people like me away, but it pulls me in instead, and I vastly prefer that over jumpscares.

Demon's Souls is a legendary game, and if/when a remake is made I hope it reaches more people who missed out the first time.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
tumblr_n3ad8dIShH1qiz4ulo1_500.gifv

Me waiting on that remake

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope this will be the remake expected for PS5...
I loved Demon's Souls, imported when it came out... Dark Souls sure its a better game overall, but DS has that magic of the first game of the series, and its also a bit more "oniric" in some way.
A remake could really fix where the game lacks, and add that misterious giant world that was not available in the game... :P

Se_7_eN

Oct 25, 2017
One of my top 5 games of all time.
I prefer it over Dark Souls, but can never decide between it and Bloodborne.

This sums it up for me.

I think Demon's Souls is much better than Dark Souls, especially since I enjoyed the "World Tendency" system so much and the fact that the game got harder every time you died (In human form).

However, I cannot decide if I like it more than Bloodborne or not.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
If you want new content why not ask for Demon's Souls 2? That would be a lot more exciting to me than the same game again, but prettier and with new content authored by someone other than From

But people seem to get more excited over remakes than new games a lot of the time now, just look at how many remake thirst threads we get

I agree it's probably a good marketing move, and remakes are hot right now, so it's the safe move, it's just not very exciting in my opinion

They are doing a remake and are adding new things to it. This is their last remake and are adding new things to test waters before creating their own game.

My hunch is they will take over the bloodborne IP if this does well.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
They are doing a remake and are adding new things to it. This is their last remake and are adding new things to test waters before creating their own game.

My hunch is they will take over the bloodborne IP if this does well.

I like that hunch. Give them a chance to ensure that they can capture that Souls magic correctly, then let them loose on their own.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
In less than 11 years we got 3 (or maybe 2, lol) successor mainline games, DLCs, rereleases and 2 amazing pivots of the formula.

In less than 11 years it changed the world tendency of gaming so hard that it's almost its own genre, and its influence spread so deep it was used to frame a major Star Wars game.

All by doing everything "wrong", at that point in the gaming world.

It's absolutely insane. I loved it from the get go and never, ever imagined what the future would bring.

Miyazaki is a genius, auter and we're lucky to enjoy his work.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Damn. FROM have done a hell of a lot in 11 ears. 6 games all ranging between great and amazing.

Oct 26, 2017
I'd heard about this game, murmurs in the net so I looked up a video and it was one of those moments where you see some gameplay and you think "I need to play this"
It's amazing how watching just a few minutes of the game conveys exactly what it's about and what it's shooting for.
I tracked down an Asian copy with English text on Ebay and imported it here to the UK. It was everything I thought it would be.
I'm proud to have been there at the start, to have been one of the people championing it.

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
A huge breath of fresh air at the time. Bought it day one and was completely blown away by the atmosphere, environments, monster design and sheer creativity From Software were able to produce. A true masterpiece of the highest order. As much as I love the rest of the Souls series there was a magic that was never quite recaptured after Demon's.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing through Dark Souls 2 SotFS right now, and it's great, but man, it really makes me miss Demon's Souls.

I know is divisive but I really enjoyed having the hub, because it gave you a place that felt safe and "homey" and when things changed in there, for the better or the worse, it really impacted you.

What a great game. Y'know, someone should remake that game...

FaffEra

Chicken Chaser
Nov 8, 2017
UK
People throwing themselves off cliffs to escape the scraping spear will never be forgotten. That and smacking the ones who were brave enough to keep fighting with the baby's nail and then running away. :P

Heh

Dec 12, 2017
RIP Demon's Souls' servers. Thank you for the good times.

Can't wait for Bluepoint's reveal.

Suicide King

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really like the replayability in Dark Souls, but Demon's Souls feels almost otherwordly in terms of hidden stuff. I always feel like there's something else I don't know about the game, unlike DaS, which anyone can play blindfolded and on a randomizer now. I love that game so much, even though many mechanics are extremely annoying (healing items) or obtuse (tendency).

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Demon Souls is an amazing game I will treasure all my life, but not sure is a game I would come back even as a remake. Dark Souls and it's sequels basically perfected the formula, so it would be weird going back to it.

Still it has the best OST of the Soulsborne games.

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I personally think Demon's Souls is better than Dark Souls. Thought Dark Souls was a downgrade ever since it first came out.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Fantastic game, but personally I feel Dark Souls makes it kinda obsolete.
Not even remotely.

I love Demons Souls. Bought a PS3 just to play it. Remains one of my most replayed games. 3-4 times to get the plat and then another 2.5 times to plat the EU version.

Gonna get the AS version someday and do the same. And also the remake.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Yet it feels 20 years old! Jk I learned to love the feel.
Got this game when I worked in a record store that also accepted used games. I remember thinking "Atlus? Published this? Looks very western." And gave it a shot. Beat the first one or two levels up til the mine world and set it down as I was in my early 20s and started socializing more. Years later at that same job a used copy of Dark Souls came in and I was fully hooked on that one.
Really wish they'd remaster Demons as it's the only souls game I never beat.

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
It might be better than Dark Souls, but is not better than Dark Souls 3.
Dark Souls 3 feels completely rushed with its lore and various dropped mechanics. Considering how fast the dev time was compared to Bloodborne, I would say Demon's Souls is better.

Bloodborne and Demon's Souls are Miyazaki's best games. Sekiro right behind.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
To me, the most significant game of the millennium sharing that space with World of Warcraft, Minecraft & Pokémon Go.

I imported the Asian version back in February 2009 (as it had an English language option unlike the Japanese edition) not knowing much and it took over my gaming world. Incredibly entertaining, atmospheric and the most inspiring video game I have ever played.

same. maybe my single most enjoyable gaming experience of all. absent all hype, just figuring out just what the fuck was going on with the game with everyone else that'd taken the plunge was a truly unique, unforgettable way to experience demon's souls for the first time...