• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
lOpJgM.gif
LOL

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Today I learned people actually disable rumble. I don't know, for some reason I've felt it always adds something to the experience in its own way.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do make it optional though for accessibility reasons and possibly because adaptive triggers could lead to a disadvantage in online play (remains to be seen).
This was my thinking also. Accessibility is very important and to say that the experience is best served with haptics is not a great message for those who can't experience all features

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Sounds cool. Looking forward to new experiences.

Today I learned people actually disable rumble. I don't know, for some reason I've felt it always adds something to the experience in its own way.
It's important to remember that Era is a bubble. A bunch of people who hate every type of motion control as a rule. From a thread yesterday, a bunch of people who shut off motion blur despite it being a default feature in many/most games.

The general approach here to new features and ideas is to start hostile, and perhaps begrudgingly over time accept something as an option, while continuing to throw shade at it. Look at gyro, or the steam controller.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome, can't wait. I think the DualSense is something I'm looking forward to the most—never loved DS4 (too cramped).

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It does. People who "try hard" in multiplayer turn it off, which is fine. But turning it off for immersive single player? Blasphemy.

Some people don't experience immersion. Like I don't mind a little bit of feedback but don't get in my way. If immersion gets in the way of me enjoying a game and playing it without any issues, let me disable that shit entirely.

Like rapid camera movement and first person camera shake - shit might be more "realistic" but it gives me migraines. Let me turn it off.

Maika_Fan

Oct 28, 2017
It sounds amazing, but so did the joy con HD rumble, and that turned out to be underwhelming. Keeping my fingers crossed it'll add to the experience.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Some people don't experience immersion. Like I don't mind a little bit of feedback but don't get in my way. If immersion gets in the way of me enjoying a game and playing it without any issues, let me disable that shit entirely.

Like rapid camera movement and first person camera shake - shit might be more "realistic" but it gives me migraines. Let me turn it off.

If anything the haptics/resistive triggers sound like they'll be more subtle and detailed than rumble. Like going from 2.0 sound with really overdone bass to surround sound with high dynamic range. Feels like that would match up better with the rest of the experience.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It adds very little to nothing. It's a total afterthought for nearly every game. Probably the most useless gimmick ever introduced to gaming.

I don't quite dislike it, but I find very little of worth in it since I first experienced this shit with Star Fox 64. You play fighting games on an arcade stick, right? Do you miss rumble when you play fighting games? :P

The most "memorable" uses of this gimmick have been gimmicks themselves: Stuff like psycho Mantis in MGS1 or the controller vibrating in Ocarina of Time when you're under some random hidden treasure lol. Over 20 years rumble has added nothing to game design.

Last edited:

Respawn

Dec 5, 2017
I'm intrigued. I do not think its gimicky to actual be more drawn into the experience of the game you're playing. Feeling a parry or the tension to push open a gate is a plus in my book. Plus the option of course to turn it off for those who are not into this sort of thing.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
How about trying it first before shitting on it? Why are you so negative in playstation threads? Your posts are seriously a buzzkill. I almost exclusively lurk on this site but had to log on just to reply to this.

I'm really not unique in any way in finding haptic feedback a completely unnecessary feature, though? Like a LOT of people in this thread are talking about turning this stuff off immediately.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
If it were for some of you everyone would still be playing with DS2's, goddamn at least give the thing a chance lol

Septimus

Oct 27, 2017
DualSense is the most next gen thing out of both new consoles. Really can't wait to try it out.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I'm really not unique in any way in finding haptic feedback a completely unnecessary feature, though? Like a LOT of people in this thread are talking about turning this stuff off immediately.

Do you honestly think your average console owner goes into their system settings and shuts off rumble? Do you feel that this is a commonly held belief and that rumble and haptics have only existed due to some sort of industry momentum over the last 20 years?

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
It adds very little to nothing. It's a total afterthought for nearly every game. Probably the most useless gimmick ever introduced to gaming.

I don't quite dislike it, but I find very little of worth in it since I first experienced this shit with Star Fox 64. You play fighting games on an arcade stick, right? Do you miss rumble when you play fighting games? :P

The most "memorable" uses of this gimmick have been gimmicks themselves: Stuff like psycho Mantis in MGS1 or the controller vibrating in Ocarina of Time when you're under some random hidden treasure lol. Over 20 years rumble has added nothing to game design.
Ah, as someone said above I was referring to SP games/campaigns. No way I'd use rumble for a fighting game even if I was playing on pad.

Friender

Sep 27, 2020
You sound excited. Does any amount of self reflection cause this to strike you as a weird reaction?
I'm excited for next gen for sure, just not for this gimmick. Hope that is ok with you

Do you honestly think your average console owner goes into their system settings and shuts off rumble?
You shouldn't let the fact that some people aren't excited about this bother you. Yeah, I think lots of people shut this off. It is annoying and distracting to some.

Poutine

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Still think it's all a gimmick, a way for Sony to sell their controllers for a higher price and force people to buy new ones because "old ones are not compatible because no haptic feedback".

Prove me wrong Sony!

Edit: I'm also one of those people that always deactivate rumble when I have a chance.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
The whole deal sounds awesome...I wonder if it will be as cool in practice. The other thing I wonder is that if every dev is using the trigger tension effect, how long before those trigger tension gears and mechanicals wear out?

I can't wait to get my hands on one of these controllers though...Hopefully I can use it instead of my Elite controller adapted because I want to see what this stuff is like.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Omg so much negativity without having even tried it ...

Are you guys gonna go inside every thread of every game that utilizes the Haptic Feedback to say you can't wait to disable it?

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I'm super excited to try these new features. Hopefully it will add something substantial to immersion.

Other than HD Humble on the Switch (cool but too weak IMO) the last time I can actually remember conventional rumble was on Ground Zeroes when BB checks the vital signs of Paz.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I'm excited for next gen for sure, just not for this gimmick. Hope that is ok with you

You shouldn't let the fact that some people aren't excited about this bother you. Yeah, I think lots of people shut this off. It is annoying and distracting to some.
I'll never understand someone with a mindset so against something so benign; something you've never even tried before that you "can't wait" to make sure you never experience. I just don't even know where someone musters up that kind of feeling. It's bizarre, but as long as I get to enjoy it (Or not, who knows; I might not like it, won't know until I try), there's no loss to me.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Are you serious ? This is low key insulting for the team at Bluepoint studios

Not insulting at all unless you think the throngs of Souls-likes are all trash.

This remake is taking FROM's ideas and putting its own spin on it. That's what Souls-likes are, albeit this is using/referencing their intellectual property directly. So I guess this could be considered more tribute than remake.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Ahhh I am so pumped for the DualSense!

Things like resistive triggers are exactly what I want as a core gamer for advancements in controllers.

If it actually works well it could be a new standard, much like analog sticks were.

Excited for PS5!

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
Sounds cool as hell. I imagine swinging using a small sword with little to no resistance on the triggers while a giant hammer would be harder to pull.

Or I guess we could all say how terrible it is and how it ruins the game without trying it.....

edit: also people on this site still (STILL!) don't understand what adaptive triggers and haptic feedback are at all, which is kind of baffling.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
This just isn't for me. Last game I played with rumble was MGS1 over 20 years ago.

I'm dug in, and I'll never change.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Vibration is vibration to me. It isn't some feature that I'm dying to have in a controller, but it does feel fun feeling guns rumble, or revving car engines. I think it helps with immersion, even if it's marginal.

Oct 27, 2017
Curious to see if the rumble is anything different from what we have in the switch. I know the major difference will be the adaptive triggers, but we'll see. Geoff didn't sound very impressed when he tried astrobot, but we won't know until next month.

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
tell me when someone independent reviews those things, they said the same from the had rumble, from the xbox one triggers, then nothing, the amount of energy you would need to make something actually cool just does not work on a small factor controller.