• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
For the people who think 30 fps is fine. Would you like your physical body to move at half the current speed? It's not good.

obama-what-gif.gif

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I played and loved many games at 30 FPS. If a game is 39 FPS and can look and control as good as The Last of Us Part II, then give it to me all day. I love 60+, but it's not a huge deal for me. I often wonder how if some people remember the PS1 / N64 days of framerates.

Eketra

Mar 22, 2018
Also people getting used to 30fps after a while isn't a whole other story, in fact its pretty obvious and persistent when people are able to differentiate the fps difference. I play some games at 30fps and I always wish the framerate was higher during those times.

I'm not trying to diminish the difference between the two.

But there is a certain effect, when the scene instantly switches from a higher to a lower, which make it seem worse then it is. It takes a while for your brain/eyes to adjust. After that, or if you start playing with 30 it is much better. Albeit still much worse then 60 ofc.

I think 60 is lovely. But 30 is not thaaat bad, and switching between the two back and forth is not a fair comparison.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Yeah I'm not playing anything at 30fps in 2020. Idk how amazing it looks, 30 feels horrible now. Especially you could just lower the resolution and keep the graphics up high in most games . 4K is a waste if it's not a decent frame rate.

I don't need a locked 60 in everything but I need a lot more than 30

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For the people who think 30 fps is fine. Would you like your physical body to move at half the current speed? It's not good.

LMAO

I didn't realize real life was in 60fps. Are we transcending reality when we play 120/144 fps games?

Just sliding right into the next dimension.

I'm not even trying to be mean or anything I just find this notion funny as hell

Alak96

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This thread will age so well in 2-3 years, when every demanding game runs at 30fps again. Lmao at some of the snobbish comments in here, including the OP.

Oct 28, 2017

But there is a certain effect, when the scene instantly switches from a higher to a lower, which make it seem worse then it is. It takes a while for your brain/eyes to adjust. After that, or if you start playing with 30 it is much better. Albeit still much worse then 60 ofc.

I think 60 is lovely. But 30 is not thaaat bad, and switching between the two back and forth is not a fair comparison.

It doesn't have to be in the same game, because I sometimes play couple of games at a time and its quite a reminder when you switch between different games running at different frame rates. Like when I was playing AC: Odyssey at 2560x1440 around 30fps vs some other game at 60fps, I'd wish I had hardware to run the 30fps game at 60fps at the same resolution/settings.

Oct 25, 2017

After some tests on Spiderman, I feel the same. When I log on, if I spend an hour at 30 it feels pretty good, especially coming from a whole gen of similarly smooth-feeling 30fps Sony exclusives. Then I can switch to 60 for doing open world stuff and feel the benefit. It's nice to have the options and both feel pretty good to me. 60 is obviously superior but for some of the fights and interior scenes, being able to catch the action being reflected on the surfaces is pretty neat.

OP
OP
60fps

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
This thread will age so well in 2-3 years, when every demanding game runs at 30fps again. Lmao at some of the snobbish comments in here, including the OP.
4 years ago the PS4 Pro was released and "performance modes" were introduced to consoles for the first time and continued to become more prominent - Today you can even choose to prefer "performance modes" in your PS5's system settings.

In 2-3 years, if anything, we will have even more "performance modes".

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
So basically 'My preference is right and everyone who doesn't mind the alternative is wrong' then?

Many, many people on this site alone have said that 30fps is an acceptable trade off for the quality of graphics you can get on console. If you find 30fps to be too low for you then fine but making a blanket statement that it's not good enough when you can see that for countless people it clearly is is just plain wrong.

Fingers crossed that a performance mode become a standard feature going forward but I very much wouldn't expect 30fps to be a thing of the past.
  • 30 FPS makes some people very motion sick.
  • 60 FPS greatly reduces or eliminates motion sickness for many people.
One side is saying "It's fine, who cares" while the other is saying "I cannot play this game".
Keep an optional 30 FPS mode for people that want it, I don't care about that. But all games should be built for 60 FPS or higher.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Keep an optional 30 FPS mode for people that want it, I don't care about that. But all games should be built for 60 FPS or higher.
How would that even work though? If a developer builds a game based on running at 60fps then they've already committed to reducing artistic quality vs 30fps as default to meet the higher frame-rate as the standard - in which case 30fps likely won't look much better.

However, if you build for 30fps you can give people the best technical experience (in terms of graphics, lighting, resolution etc) and then scale down those aspects to run at 60fps.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
How would that even work though? If a developer builds a game based on running at 60fps then they've already committed to reducing artistic quality vs 30fps as default to meet the higher frame-rate as the standard - in which case 30fps likely won't look much better.

However, if you build for 30fps you can give people the best technical experience (in terms of graphics, lighting, resolution etc) and then scale down those aspects to run at 60fps.
Game production costs are too high as it is, so that's an additional benefit.
It's easy to turn up the resolution, and many other options to improve the image quality at 30 FPS.
It can be very difficult to get a game built for 30 FPS running at 60 without significant cutbacks on a console.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Game production costs are too high as it is, so that's an additional benefit.
It's easy to turn up the resolution, and many other options to improve the image quality at 30 FPS.
It can be very difficult to get a game built for 30 FPS running at 60 without significant cutbacks on a console.
To me that's more of a compromise. If you're building for 60fps you're likely building for a lower resolution and therefore your art assets will be made for that resolution. Unless you have some kind of DLSS solution there's no real way to improve them and the best resolution and lighting won't fix that.

Granted I'm not a developer but to me it seems that it would be easier to start with the most graphically impressive version and cut back elements to hit a better frame-rate than start with the faster version and then try and upgrade everything else to make the switch worthwhile.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
The OP is certainly reaching with his takes. He hates 30 fps? Fine. Go get a new PC before you get disappointed with your new console.
Also, as PC and switch gamer... In an ideal world 30 fps is just an option and not the only option, however 30 fps with good frame pacing is totally playable and works just fine. BotW is (for me) the best game ever, and while making it 60 fps would only make it better, it also does not ruin the experience at all.

Also you will have a hard time convincing here of the 30 fps = bad game...

BotW
Bloodborne
GOW
TLoU
Nier Automata

Console gamers discovering 60fps is finally allowing them to tap into the hyperbole that pc gamers had monopolized for years.

Is 30fps objectively worse than 60fps? Yes. Is it an unplayable slideshow? No.

This.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, a lot of you are going to be disappointed come 2022 / 2023.
4 years ago the PS4 Pro was released and "performance modes" were introduced to consoles for the first time and continued to become more prominent - Today you can even choose to prefer "performance modes" in your PS5's system settings.

In 2-3 years, if anything, we will have even more "performance modes".
If performance modes are still a regular occurrence in 2-3 years, you're going to see unlocked framerates far more than 60fps.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
For me, it's always worked like this:

If I've only ever played a specific game at 30 FPS, I can deal pretty well. However, if I've been able to play that game at 60 FPS, it's usually tough for me to go back.

I love Spidey on my base PS4, but when I switch from Performance mode to Fidelity mode on Spidey Remastered, it feels completely wrong.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's happening in 2022/2023?
Cross-gen will start to phase out. You'll still have your Bluepoints, your Retros, your EPD Tokyos pushing for 60fps - most developers will opt for higher resolutions and visual effects at 30. Some will continue to offer performance modes, but franerates will be unlocked. Most games won't hit 60fps consistently.

OP
OP
60fps

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Wow, thanks.
...however 30 fps with good frame pacing is totally playable and works just fine.
For you.

To me, 30fps looks and feels horrible, no matter how good the frame pacing or motion blur might be. Just scrolling through a menu at 30 feels laggy. This is why smartphones don't run at 30fps - because it feels laggy.

On the other side, I guess we could also go back to play at 20fps for even better graphical fidelity. It really shouldn't matter, because 20fps is totally playable and works just fine, as proven during the N64 era.

Also:
  • 30 FPS makes some people very motion sick.
  • 60 FPS greatly reduces or eliminates motion sickness for many people.

It's a very weird notion that games will suddenly stop having a 1080p/60fps mode in a few years. There's no reason performance and graphics modes can't co-exist so I'm not sure why there's so many people claiming we're going back to 30 fps for all games.
Yeah.

Last edited:

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Every game should be 60fps only, else as it stands it feels like I'm on pc lowering settings to make it fun faster. A sad compromise I also make on pc, that will never feel good.

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure every Metal Slug game targets 60fps (though the early ones frequently couldn't keep up). I think 60fps is pretty important for a lot of 2D games, especially if they're fast-paced.

I'd probably have a hard time going back to a lot of the games I played as a kid. Consoles and arcade games were 60fps for the most part, but PC gaming (which is what I primarily grew up with) in the 90's wasn't that amazing framerate-wise.

Nah, check it out right from a 60hz frame-advance:

0KqHKYJ.gif

The Metal Slug games often enter slow motion (2 most famously), but everything about this capture from the original game suggests they were deliberately giving themselves a big timing window and updating the screen every other frame. They aren't 60fps games, ever.

LeMillion

Jun 9, 2020
I mean... I get it. If you jump between a 30FPS game and a 60FPS game the former will feel like a slideshow at first. Personally, I'd love to see 60FPS options for every game.

With that said, I never understand the folks who say they can't play at 30FPS at all. It takes me a few minutes at maximum to re-adjust and then it looks "normal" again. Obviously nowhere near as smooth as 60, but it doesn't look jarring once you get used to it.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
He's right, but for the wrong reason. The reason their 30fps feels like a slide show is because they have a shitty motion blur solution so it feels absolutely awful. 60fps > 30fps, but not all 30fps games are equal in how they feel at all.

I mean... I get it. If you jump between a 30FPS game and a 60FPS game the former will feel like a slideshow at first. Personally, I'd love to see 60FPS options for every game.

With that said, I never understand the folks who say they can't play at 30FPS at all. It takes me a few minutes at maximum to re-adjust and then it looks "normal" again. Obviously nowhere near as smooth as 60, but it doesn't look jarring once you get used to it.

It's not the same in all cases. I generally play everything at 60fps on PC, or performance mode if it's available on the consoles, and while it's initially jarring if I'm jumping directly from one frame rate to the other, it doesn't take long to acclimate if the game was done well. This game wasn't done well (with 30fps) and looks worse than 30fps.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
As a person who has never been TOO bothered by games that run at thirty frames per second... switching between the two modes in Demon's Souls is really eye opening.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Wow, thanks.

For you.

Yeap... And the millions of millions of who play Animal Crossing, Both, LToU... Do you know GTA also runs at 30 fps on xbox and PS?

I play most third party games in PC, so I know 60+ is the best way to play. I have a 1440p/165oc monitor, but I can also enjoy playing DQ at 30 fps.

If 30 fps dont work for you, then by all means, but dont make it sound like an absolute truth when it is not.

KingBae

Oct 28, 2017
The 30fps mode doesn't work well I think. I don't know if it's input lag or motion blur, it just doesn't play or feel good at all for some reason. And this is me coming from playing Miles Morales at 30fps and Bloodborne all day. I'm thinking there is something off about it in particular.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I wish all game developers stopped wasting resources on 30fps modes and just focus 100% on making it look as good as possible at 60fps.
100% agreed. 60 fps not only looks smoother, it benefits the gameplay as well. I really enjoy how some games that are targeting 60 fps like Demon's Souls or Mario Odyssey look amazing even when having half the time to render a frame, and shows how big is the benefit of developers prioritizing the game performance. I don't care about having a full 4K 30 FPS mode, but I'd prefer developers not wasting development time on effects or post-processing that later will be cut from the 60 FPS mode.

thenadamgoes

Nov 17, 2017
I played Demon Souls and Miles Morales back to back. And it was an odd experience because I felt Demon Souls in 30fps was near unplayable and had to play at 60-fps. But I didn't mind Miles Morales in 30fps at all, I actually couldn't decide which I liked better.

LDNStateOfMind

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I've always been fine with 30fps but man playing miles in 60fps, started a new game+ as soon as I finished and forgot to change the setting; 30fps was horrible. I've never seen/felt it like that before. I understand the slideshow comment now.

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
It is really game dependent IMO. However, the difference in Demon's Souls in particular is jarring. It only looks acceptably smooth with motion blur turned way up. Then you lose a lot of the visual gains from cinematic mode anyway.

Plus souls games are all about the gameplay anyway. Demon's Souls plays so good (and looks incredible to boot) that it is undesirable playing in any other mode than default performance mode.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
agree its game dependant, for ds its pretty clear 60fps was their main focus from getgo.
they didn't seem to put much effort to the quality mode either.

miles for example looks exceptional at 30fps, and it handles movement pretty well too, so i stayed with it whole game and it was fine.

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017
Nah, check it out right from a 60hz frame-advance:

0KqHKYJ.gif

The Metal Slug games often enter slow motion (2 most famously), but everything about this capture from the original game suggests they were deliberately giving themselves a big timing window and updating the screen every other frame. They aren't 60fps games, ever.
Yeah, you're right. I always thought Metal Slug felt really smooth so I figured it must have been 60fps. Maybe it benefits from the movement speed of the characters and camera not being that far off the rate the sprites animate at. I know a lot of 2D games (especially fighters) which are 60fps but the characters animate at a much lower rate which can cause a bit of a disconnect.

OP
OP
60fps

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Yeap... And the millions of millions of who play Animal Crossing, Both, LToU... Do you know GTA also runs at 30 fps on xbox and PS?

I play most third party games in PC, so I know 60+ is the best way to play. I have a 1440p/165oc monitor, but I can also enjoy playing DQ at 30 fps.

If 30 fps dont work for you, then by all means, but dont make it sound like an absolute truth when it is not.
Like I said

On the other side, I guess we could also go back to play at 20fps for even better graphical fidelity. It really shouldn't matter, because 20fps is totally playable and works just fine, as proven during the N64 era.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
I find 30fps harder and harder to tolerate as time goes on. I just notice it more, especially when rotating a camera.

Last 30fps game I played was TLOU2. It was great, but would have been twice as great at 60fps

Oct 25, 2017
Switching from 60 to 30 instantly is an entirely different feeling from 30 in general. If 60 in general is like running on gravel and 30 in general is like running 'on sand, switching from 60 to 30 instantly is like running in water. It looks very slideshow-y.