• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm having an issue with my PS5 where all 30fps modes in games judder as if motion blurring is non-existent. It doesn't happen on my Pro but does happen on my PS5 to the point where I absolutely have to run every game in performance mode. The opening of Spider-Man Remastered when it pans around his bedroom at the start was a slideshow juddery mess.

Im fine with it since I love the feel of 60fps but it baffles me why 30fps looks so much worse in action on PS5 than it does on PS4 pro. Maybe it's a TV setting or something with how the PS5 outputs video over 2.1?
Sounds like you have motion smoothing enabled on the input that your PS4 Pro is connected to.
I'm convinced that a significant number of people that "can't see the difference" or are okay with 30 FPS must be doing that.

Would you want a 480p game today?
I'll take 480p60 over 4K30 any day.
Fortunately though, you only need to drop the resolution to 1527p60 to be pushing the same number of pixels/second.

60fps is better than 30fps, we get it.
But calling 30fps a slideshow, unplayable etc... is basically shitting on 30 years of gaming.
I bet in 10 years the fps squad will be calling 60fps "unplayable"
You've been playing the wrong games if you think we've been stuck at 30 FPS for the past 30 years.

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
In the video, that second version is so much worse. It looks sooooooo awful to me. If you only experience that you probably get used to it but it's really not appealing to my eyes at all.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's pretty obvious that, for most, when sitting down and experiencing it, 120fps is preferable to 60fps, 60 to 30, 30 to 20, and so on. in general i would prefer games to support arbitrary framerates and i would like developers to shoot for 60fps targets on fixed hardware.

calling 30fps "unplayable" to me, however, signals that i probably shouldn't try too hard to relate to your taste in games given that you genuinely cannot enjoy games like the original Doom and Metal Slug

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
calling 30fps "unplayable" to me, however, signals that i probably shouldn't try too hard to relate to your taste in games given that you genuinely cannot enjoy games like the original Doom and Metal Slug
Slowdown in 2D games is not really comparable to low frame rates in 3D ones.
When a 2D game slows down, it's often only small elements moving on a static background. Or if the camera is scrolling, the camera movement also slows down with it - which makes it tolerable.
3D games typically drop frames rather than slowing down. That means the lower the frame rate is, the larger the gaps are between the frames.
At 30 FPS the gaps between frames are often so large that motion no longer looks smooth at all - even with motion blur; hence calling it a "slideshow".

This is an example of what I mean by "gaps between the frames" from a discussion here about motion blur and high frame rates:
We need much higher frame rates to eliminate the need for motion blur, however comfort really depends on the implementation and the display being used.
  • An LCD has slow response times (even the 'fast' ones) and will add its own blurring to the image - so you're less likely to want motion blur.
  • A DLP or OLED has very fast response times and will not blur the image - so you're more likely to want motion blur to help keep motion smooth.
Image size matters too. Each frame is physically closer together on a smaller display, but much further apart when displayed on a large screen like a big TV or projector.

60 FPS without motion blur on a DLP projector means you can see every frame clearly in motion; producing a stroboscopic effect - which results in bad judder:
60-nomb-t0jtd.jpg

The camera is capturing four frames here, but look at how awful the resulting image is. It's just a mess which makes tracking an object difficult.

Adding motion blur helps, but even the highest setting is not enough to blend frames together smoothly - there are still clear gaps between frames:
60-ymb-w3kid.jpg

120 FPS with maximum motion blur starts to blend frames together smoothly - though it still falls apart at faster speeds:
120-ymb-znkx7.jpg

This is much more comfortable to play, and you can start to make out objects (like that red barrel) again. The smooth blending eliminates distracting elements.
We probably need frame rates in the several-thousands before there's no need for motion blur at all.
The ideal would be to have a frame rate high enough that movement on-screen is never more than 1px/frame no matter how fast it is; but that's an unrealistic goal.

That being said, many games have terrible implementations of motion blur which don't blend smoothly at all - and those are worse than not using any at all.
That Final Fantasy Type-0 implementation makes me feel motion sick almost immediately, so please understand that I'm not advocating for maximum blurring of the image at all times. That's why I'm using DOOM (2016) in the above example - it has a very good implementation of motion blur.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
There's something wrong with the 30 FPS mode in this game similar to The Last of Us Remastered. In both games, it looks much worse than, say, Ratchet & Clank PS4 (a 30 FPS title). It's really juddery, and I'm not sure if it comes down to the motion blur being used, but I suspect that's the issue.

Of course it looks like a slideshow when it hasn't been properly taken care of.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not offended lol, I just find hyperbole grating and in this particular case slightly elitist. Same with resolutions when the Wii "made people's eyes bleed". Both discussions have been going on for years though, nothing new.

Lol, This is true, I agree.

I think this is happening because the perception of the average gamer is increasing.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
User Warned: Inappropriate language and platform warring
lol some people already do this

it's fuckin wild

The PCMR folks act like everyone out here is rolling with 144 Hz monitors or 120 Hz TVs. No reason to do anything but roll your eyes at the silliness there.

Still going with the 30fps mode thanks.

I'm curious, with this game in particular, what made you decide to do this? I watched the Digital Foundry video and it seemed pretty clear the improvements in graphics for the 30 fps mode seem pretty minor.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Slowdown in 2D games is not really comparable to low frame rates in 3D ones.
When a 2D game slows down, it's often only small elements moving on a static background. Or if the camera is scrolling, the camera movement also slows down with it - which makes it tolerable.
3D games typically drop frames rather than slowing down. That means the lower the frame rate is, the larger the gaps are between the frames.
At 30 FPS the gaps between frames are often so large that motion no longer looks smooth at all - even with motion blur; hence calling it a "slideshow".

i understand the difference between delta time vs fixed timestep, don't worry. yes, fixed timestep games slow down rather than drop frames, which makes them more manageable when there's inconsistent performance, and most old 2D games do this (it's a simpler way to develop with no real downsides on fixed hardware, after all). but this thread isn't even focused on inconsistent performance: 2D Metal Slug is a fixed timestep game that _targets_ 30fps, and 3D Doom "caps" at 35fps (updating every other frame of VGA mode13h IIRC).

finding 30fps to be a trait that makes a video game _inherently unplayable_ means i probably won't relate to your tastes in the slightest.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
The PCMR folks act like everyone out here is rolling with 144 Hz monitors or 120 Hz TVs. No reason to do anything but roll your eyes at the silliness there.
I have a 240hz ultra wide I recently invested in and there's no denying higher framerate is good, bordering on incredible sometimes, but the way some people talk about it, I'm just not sure I'll ever understand or empathize. Games aren't "unplayable" at lower fps, they're just... less good. It's fine to acknowledge that without diving headfirst into hyperbole.

I will allow for genuine physical reactions to low fps. I know some people actually have that problem for real. But more often than not, it's due to unstable framerates, which is exacerbated by low fps, but not exclusive to.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Yeah, 60fps in this AND with MB is just godly. The visual/res difference are just now worth it. Took me ...2 seconds to come to that conclusion. This coming from someone who has played 30fps titles for god knows how long and said they would rather play 30fps titles with more bells and whistles!

Same for me and when I will be able to buy a PS5. I will play DeS at 60 fps and Spiderman Miles Morales at 30 fps and the second run at 60 fps. The most important thing is the framerate stability. DMC 5 SE can go up to 120 fps but the unstable framerate is a problem. Blooborne unstable framepacing were a problem for me.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all do realize that a person's "unplayable" is a personal thing, right? It doesn't actually mean "this literally cannot be played" it means "to me, this is not something I can play as the 30fps detracts from the experience too much".

Like, we know for sure 30fps games are literally not unplayable lol... people play them.

I get it though, the kind of language where people speak in absolutes - even if it is clearly their opinion - gets reactions, but still... some of the comments here I find almost as silly as the perceived hyperbole. It doesn't literally mean that...

JazzmanZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they actually know how slow a slideshow actually is.

It's like calling Grand theft auto V a PS2 game

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Console gamers discovering 60fps is finally allowing them to tap into the hyperbole that pc gamers had monopolized for years.

Is 30fps objectively worse than 60fps? Yes. Is it an unplayable slideshow? No.
How are console gamers discovering this? Ps2 era games haven't existed? Suddenly the whole ratchet and clank games are gone? Mario galaxy don't exist? The people, lol.

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
This thread is quite something.

There's something wrong with the 30 FPS mode in this game similar to The Last of Us Remastered. In both games, it looks much worse than, say, Ratchet & Clank PS4 (a 30 FPS title). It's really juddery, and I'm not sure if it comes down to the motion blur being used, but I suspect that's the issue.

Of course it looks like a slideshow when it hasn't been properly taken care of.
I feel the same, usually it takes me less than half a minute to adapt to 30fps when switching from a performance mode, but I just can't bear it in this game.

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't mind 30fps when it's the only option.

It's really bad in DeS though - I started in performance and switched just to see the difference and couldn't even make it a minute. It's so much less responsive it's insane.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I have a 240hz ultra wide I recently invested in and there's no denying higher framerate is good, bordering on incredible sometimes, but the way some people talk about it, I'm just not sure I'll ever understand or empathize. Games aren't "unplayable" at lower fps, they're just... less good. It's fine to acknowledge that without diving headfirst into hyperbole.

I will allow for genuine physical reactions to low fps. I know some people actually have that problem for real. But more often than not, it's due to unstable framerates, which is exacerbated by low fps, but not exclusive to.

Yeah objectively more responsive games make for better gameplay. But I find a steady framerate better than a game that hovers between 45-90 fps. I have no issue with people spending the money on stuff, just more the insular communities that think every PC gamer plays every game at native 4K or something when all the stats say otherwise.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah objectively more responsive games make for better gameplay. But I find a steady framerate better than a game that hovers between 45-90 fps. I have no issue with people spending the money on stuff, just more the insular communities that think every PC gamer plays every game at native 4K or something when all the stats say otherwise.
Yeah I one hundred percent agree. Stable 30 over unstable 60 any day of the week.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
Sounds like you have motion smoothing enabled on the input that your PS4 Pro is connected to.
I'm convinced that a significant number of people that "can't see the difference" or are okay with 30 FPS must be doing that.

I'll take 480p60 over 4K30 any day.
Fortunately though, you only need to drop the resolution to 1527p60 to be pushing the same number of pixels/second.

You've been playing the wrong games if you think we've been stuck at 30 FPS for the past 30 years.
Nope, no motion and game mode is on. Like I said, same input my PS4 pro used.

Feb 16, 2018
if 30 fps is an unplayable slideshow then 60 fps is not the ideal configuration

any game where 30 is a complete disaster probably wants 120 fps, not 60
we'll settle for 60 because of tv tech, but if the game actually sucks at 30 (and it's not just people exaggerating for effect), then it will also have problems at 60

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
Missing some context here, he mentions it looks like a slideshow when you swap over from the 60fps mode which judging by that video it does...

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Eh, while I played Demon's Souls in 60fps through and through. Whenever I was just messing around and grinding and stuff I'd often switch to 30fps for some extra visual pep. Glad the option is there. Looks a little nicer.

Nov 20, 2019
I find this incredibly funny and definitely worth pointing out.

Timestamped to 8:50:

When even the studio president calls their 30fps mode a slideshow, you know 30fps is not "good enough" at this day and age anymore.

They also confirm that Demon's Souls was always a 60fps game for them.

It's a great time to be a gamer. Look at the PS5 games so far -
When was the last time we had this many launch games run at 60fps?
It's evident that developers care about performance and for good reason:

If nobody pushed for better technology we would still be playing games in 240p - and I bet there would be people here claiming it was "good enough".

Now that consoles aren't bottlenecked by weak CPUs anymore I expect the trend of "performance modes" that started in 2016 with PS4 Pro to become even more widespread, to the point where 60fps will eventually be considered the baseline -
and 30fps the bonus mode on top, for people who like slideshows.

Big Kudos to Digital Foundry and Bluepoint Games.

Lol 30 FPS is good for some genres, example TLOU II but not good for demon souls or Call of duty.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
i understand the difference between delta time vs fixed timestep, don't worry. yes, fixed timestep games slow down rather than drop frames, which makes them more manageable when there's inconsistent performance, and most old 2D games do this (it's a simpler way to develop with no real downsides on fixed hardware, after all). but this thread isn't even focused on inconsistent performance: 2D Metal Slug is a fixed timestep game that _targets_ 30fps, and 3D Doom "caps" at 35fps (updating every other frame of VGA mode13h IIRC).

finding 30fps to be a trait that makes a video game _inherently unplayable_ means i probably won't relate to your tastes in the slightest.
With Metal Slug you only have 2D camera movement, and it scrolls at an appropriate pace for 30 FPS.
Much of the time spent in those games is on a static screen rather than a scrolling one.

As for Doom, I know quite a few people that couldn't play it without getting bad motion sickness until source ports that ran the game at higher frame rates were widely available.
I was never able to get into Doom at all for that reason, but I loved Quake.

But people are generally referring to modern 3D games when they say that 30 FPS is "unplayable". My point was that older games were not built the same.
Some of the few 3D games which run at 30 FPS that I have been able to return to, are the original Tomb Raider trilogy.
Player movement speed and camera motion is controlled in such a way that it avoids many of the issues that results in bad motion sickness for me in modern 30 FPS games - even though it doesn't have motion blur to smooth things over.
At least, it was okay for me the last time I tried to return to it. I only played a level or two rather than trying to complete it, and may have a different reaction today.

I think the fact that it's 4:3 helps a lot.
I used to be able to just tolerate Katamari Damacy in 4:3, but playing the newer releases in 16:9 or 21:9 makes me severely motion sick now. Like day-ruining motion sickness.
It's probably something similar to this effect:
ty6PM.gif
Cover the center of the image and it appears to move much faster, cover the edges and it appears to move much slower.
I think that's been a factor in my increasing intolerance for 30 FPS over time.
And when I say "intolerance" I don't mean "I don't like it", I mean that I get motion sickness to varying degrees of severity.

I don't presume to understand everything in play here though.
At higher frame rates, I found that switching to an ultra-wide monitor helped with motion sickness due to the wider view.

All I can say for certain is that I've had to avoid most 30 FPS games for at least a couple of decades now, and I never owned a PlayStation, Nintendo 64, or Saturn - so I skipped over most of that bad early 3D.
Mid-gen games on the original Xbox is when I remember it starting to get particularly bad, which is probably linked to the increasing popularity of widescreen support, now that I think about it (I had a widescreen CRT).
Display size is a factor as well, and that's also the time that TVs started to get a lot bigger.

30 FPS is just not suitable for modern games or displays any more.
60 FPS should be the absolute minimum, and ideally they would be pushing for 90–120.

Nope, no motion and game mode is on. Like I said, same input my PS4 pro used.
Have you actually gone back and done an A/B comparison, or is it that you feel it's worse now on the PS5 than you remember on the PS4 Pro?
Because it could simply be that you have already started to adapt to 60 FPS now that it's an option.

Nov 20, 2019
Same for me and when I will be able to buy a PS5. I will play DeS at 60 fps and Spiderman Miles Morales at 30 fps and the second run at 60 fps. The most important thing is the framerate stability. DMC 5 SE can go up to 120 fps but the unstable framerate is a problem. Blooborne unstable framepacing were a problem for me.
This. Stable framerates are awesome.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
It's not funny, it's refreshing for a dev to be this honest. Switch back and forth. I can't see how ANYONE could prefer 30 fps in this game.

Spiderhead

Banned
Aug 15, 2020
Canada
User banned (3 days): hostility over multiple posts
If 30fps were fine
  • smartphones would run at 30fps instead of 60 or 120
  • game developers wouldn't even try to push for 60 or 120fps
  • there wouldn't be people saying 30fps are not fine in the first place.
If Carl Benz said "Horse carriages are fine. They work!" we wouldn't have cars today.
That doesn't mean that 30fps isn't fine. Jesus Christ mate. You really gotta get off your high fps horse. Games have run at 20fps and we were fine with it, 30fps fine with it for generations, calm your fucking shit and stop being an ass towards people who think it's fine.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Alls I know is Demons in 30 is probably the best looking game I've ever seen in real time.

I still play it in 60 tho..

Last edited:

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I thought I would be pained going from Demons at 60fps and then playing Miles in fidelity mode... but it's very smooth.

I dont know what it is, it feels like some kind of setting gets screwed up when swapping from 60 to 30 in games, because I feel like if I start the game in 30fps I don't really notice or mind, but swapping from 60 to 30 makes it really stuttery. I'm not just talking about perception either, it's like extra choppy

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
Really stretching what he said to support "30 fps is not enough" lol

He said what everyone already knows - adjusting from 60 to 30 is jarring.

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On consoles, if I start at 30 FPS, I can play it. I'd prefer 60, but I can get through it.

On PC, using M+KB, 30 FPS is absolutely unplayable to me. No hyperbole. It feels so fucking terrible.

ReggieBC

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I definitely prefer 60fps, but shit have you guys seen the ray traced 30fps mode in spiderman?? Something to behold for sure.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Whether 30 or 60fps is better is game-dependent. For me, Spider-Man is so much less immersive on ps5 in 60fps mode, I much prefer to play in 30fps mode with much better graphics. Because it takes place in a city filled with flat surfaces, it really needs the extra effects and reflections for that immersion, and 60fps isn't vital to gameplay. Demon's Souls is definitely one of the cases where performance mode improves the gameplay, especially since in that game the quality mode doesn't really add a lot without A/B comparisons and the game is built around precision combat.

Having stable framerate is very important too - I'd much rather play at a solid 30fps than a game that goes from 40 to 60 all the time.

Last edited:

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How are console gamers discovering this? Ps2 era games haven't existed? Suddenly the whole ratchet and clank games are gone? Mario galaxy don't exist? The people, lol.

Lmao you needed to run to a console from 15 years back and listed two games that are exceptions to the rule.

All to defend hyperbole from a dev.