• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if anything else passing would get my job to actually give people hazard pay when everywhere else around is

hahahahhahahah American fast food giving hazard pay I make myself laugh

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017

Wouldn't it make sense to not preemptively give concessions to the right? Having progressively policies would give them room to cut them later.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Can we get some language in here that specifically structures how states are meant to pay the fucking PUA? I have the PUA and for some stupid ass reason only got paid 158 dollars this week! In Virginia; and I've seen different people in different states post screenshots and stuff of entirely different processes for their states.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
It's a good package, but I would be astonished if it saw the light of day. The last one BARELY passed due to partisan bullshittery and now we are seeing some states ignorantly open everything back up.

The Republicans will just argue that we need to open everything up and use the desperate needs of people in order to make it happen.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Anything that gets money into hands of people is the best option. Instead they have just approached it as giving businesses their loss In revenue (the other bills). Nothing is going to move unless people have money to spend. Right now millions are just going further into debt. And they still haven't frozen rent?

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
It's a good package, but I would be astonished if it saw the light of day. The last one BARELY passed due to partisan bullshittery and now we are seeing some states ignorantly open everything back up.

The Republicans will just argue that we need to open everything up and use the desperate needs of people in order to make it happen.

Yes, I doubt this happens.

But the $600 absolutely needs to be extended through the year.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
I just got a letter yesterday from the IRS and White House about being approved for the stimulus check that I got a month ago, so the GOP seems to want to drag future stimulus checks out as much as they can to keep the cruelty going.

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs

Wouldn't it make sense to not preemptively give concessions to the right? Having progressively policies would give them room to cut them later.

More of the same from the establishment Dems...They're going to hype that they have big game, give big concessions, not anger their corporate donors, and then use their supposed really awesome $3TRIL bill they "tried" to pass as a reason why they should be re-elected...

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Half of my brain says Republicans will shut it out completely, they've decided that the country is open now and nothing more is needed.

The other half says they'll push it as close to the election as possible and try to claim credit for giving people money.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not happening. Country is opening back up and passing such a bill is admittance that there's still a problem. It'll probably be used as a claim that the Liberals are using it as a last ditch effort to rob the victory of the American people of exposing the Deep State and its hoax pandemic.

Edit: And yeah, COBRA is such a bullshit move used as a stick to the poor and small businesses.

jay

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine plenty of Americans starving to death while insisting that to get ahead requires bootstraps and personal responsibility.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
Not happening. Country is opening back up and passing such a bill is admittance that there's still a problem. It'll probably be used as a claim that the Liberals are using it as a last ditch effort to rob the victory of the American people of exposing the Deep State and its hoax pandemic.
You can't hide corona infections and deaths, and the lost business/jobs due to people being too scared to go out. Infection rates will rise once everything opens up, and we'll likely be right where we started several weeks ago. There aren't enough covidiots out there to keep the economy chugging along as normal forever during this thing.

Remember that report that spurred the US's first serious response the virus?

1rnn93x.png

Last edited:

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
You know what I love about these stimulus packages? That my sister in law insists that these are coming from Trump and Democrats are not for the working people and they're only trying to make this worse. Oh, and did you know Republicans ended slavery? He's truly made America great! /s

*vomits*

Starviper

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis

Edit: And yeah, COBRA is such a bullshit move used as a stick to the poor and small businesses.

Yup.. This doesn't align with the shit they're pushing. Only once we wind up with a much higher infection / death rate they might reconsider.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah I think a lot of people are misguided thinking it will look bad for Republicans or they'll negotiate to appease Dems. They only give a fuck about their base and their base will believe anything, even if it goes completely against their self interests.

It was already brought up today at our governor's press conference and he went right for the "The Democrats are only playing politics and using this in an attempt to win the election."

So...what is the compromise that we'll actually get?

"Good luck!"

BigWeather

Nov 4, 2017
Will it be based on tax year 2018 again? If so, bah. Wife stopped working at the end of 2018, would've gotten some of the first round had it been based on TY2019.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hazard pay would be really nice. I only started working from home just a few days ago, so I got potentially exposed a lot on the job.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hazard pay would be lovely. We had a case of COVID-19 at my job and a ton of employees had to be tested. It's too close to home and we really put ourselves at risk even in an office that does not serve the public in person but is still an essential. I can't imagine what it is like to work as an essential worker who engages with the public. I'd be afraid everyday.

I am not going to hold my breath over this, though.

Tiger Priest

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
New York, NY
All measures look good. Monthly payments would be great but if UE is basically paying people $600-1000 per week through the end of the year that's a kind of UBI for people who aren't working. State and local aid needs to happen NOW though or NY State/NYC is going to break apart and we're going to see massive teacher and government worker layoffs.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017

Was going to post the same tweets. Kind of infuriating that the progressive wing of the party is just completely left in the dark.

And if this is symbolic, then why the fuck are the dems just starting from such a weak position.

Oct 25, 2017
All measures look good. Monthly payments would be great but if UE is basically paying people $600-1000 per month through the end of the year that's a kind of UBI for people who aren't working. State and local aid needs to happen NOW though or NY State/NYC is going to break apart and we're going to see massive teacher and government worker layoffs.

$600/Week + basic unemployment. My wife was getting $250/week unemployment, now it's $250+$600, so $3400/month. It may not be UBI, but it's a shitload better than nothing. And right now, it looks like nothing is the only other offer on the table.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The additional check would be nice but its pretty disingenuous to state it would be a substantial increase. For people with kids sure. everyone else gets the same as before.

Oct 25, 2017
This is the idea of a Republican stimulus check:
hand-lubricated-finger-could-illustrate-600w-64603897.jpg

They don't care about helping anyone out. It only matters when big business comes looking for a handout.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Good move, people need to see who is blocking relief.

But they won't, because GOP supporters are idiots, plain and simple.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Republicans will be forced to pass something no matter what bullshit they are claiming now. The unemployment is super high and the reopening is going to backfire in most states.

Shantae

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 15, 2019
I really hope this passes, because something needs to happen. I think that's kind of the point right now. Republicans are not gonna be convinced to do any monthly payment thing, so democrats just gotta keep pushing for a new bill every month while things are the way they are.

I'm also not optimistic though, because republicans will never agree to something that they don't propose. Not unless they get something they really really want out of it. We're still living in this fantasy world where these assholes are trying to reopen the country as if everything is just fine. I fear that only when cases of covid start to rise again because they reopened everything, and it gets worse than it ever has before, only then may their hand be forced to approve a similar type of bill.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just got a letter yesterday from the IRS and White House about being approved for the stimulus check that I got a month ago, so the GOP seems to want to drag future stimulus checks out as much as they can to keep the cruelty going.

Same got that letter today. That cash is already long gone lmao.

Satori

Nov 13, 2017
I feel like that is exactly what will happen. After July when the extra 600 for UI is over and the likelihood of a second wave hitting due to the premature opening then they will talk. And some how blame it in the Dems and Trump taking all the credit.

Not enough death and suffering yet for them. We still have a few more months of the 1200 they gave us lol. /S

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017

It's always a balancing act. If you put too much stuff in that isn't broadly popular, it becomes easier for them to just deny the entire bill wholesale because of the unpopular parts. When you're playing populist politics--which let's be honest, is both what we're doing and should be doing to expedite this process--you want to have a loud majority shouting down opposition, and you're less and less likely to achieve that with every sub 75%+ approved piece of your legislation.

The ideal scenario here is you have a bill that's so obviously and stupidly popular that voting against it feels like political suicide. If you draft a bill that (dis)approval for just splits down regular party lines you might as well not bother.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Agree they should have comically asked for more, then made the narrative "you are starving/dying, unemployed, and republicans don't want to help

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still cracking up at the fact these dudes in the government thought 1200 would last this entire pandemic. Like, how long have yall been away from us regular people? You serious? I mean seriously bruh, the fuck lol?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I'm still cracking up at the fact these dudes in the government thought 1200 would last this entire pandemic. Like, how long have yall been away from us regular people? You serious? I mean seriously bruh, the fuck lol?

In defense of Republicans here for a second (I know stick with me), in their fantasy land the virus is basically over which is why everything is getting pushed to reopen. The one stimulus check has a few weeks left on that 10 week plan which is when a lot of states will be fully on their way to reopening. You won't need another stimulus check when those 10 weeks are up because you'll be able to go back to work.

Obviously that is bat shit insane carny logic, but it's been their consistent narrative during this.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
In defense of Republicans here for a second (I know stick with me), in their fantasy land the virus is basically over which is why everything is getting pushed to reopen. The one stimulus check has a few weeks left on that 10 week plan which is when a lot of states will be fully on their way to reopening. You won't need another stimulus check when those 10 weeks are up because you'll be able to go back to work.

Obviously that is bat shit insane carny logic, but it's been their consistent narrative during this.
120 a week will go far