• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
(CNN)House Democratic leaders will unveil legislation Monday that would give millions of families at least $3,000 per child, advancing a key provision in President Joe Biden's $1.9 trillion Covid-19 relief package.

Chairman of the Ways and Means Committee Rep. Richard Neal, who is leading the crafting of the legislation for the stimulus package, will introduce the enhanced Child Tax Credit bill, according to a committee spokesperson.

"The pandemic is driving families deeper and deeper into poverty, and it's devastating. We are making the Child Tax Credit more generous, more accessible, and by paying it out monthly, this money is going to be the difference in a roof over someone's head or food on their table," Neal said in a statement provided to CNN.

CNN obtained a copy of the 22-page bill. The Washington Post first reported on it.

The legislation would provide $3,600 per child under the age of six and $3,000 per child age six through 17 for a single year. The full benefit is available to single parents earning up to $75,000 annually and for couples earning up to $150,000. Payments would phase out after those thresholds.

Families can receive the Child Tax Credit payments on a monthly basis.

If this particular legislation is passed by Congress, the payments would begin in July for one year.

Reps. Rosa DeLauro of Connecticut, Suzan DelBene of Washington and Ritchie Torres of New York are also set to introduce on Monday standalone legislation that would continue the benefit permanently.

www.cnn.com

Democrats unveil $3,000 child benefit as part of Biden relief package

House Democratic leaders unveiled legislation Monday that would give millions of families at least $3,000 per child, advancing a key provision in President Joe Biden's $1.9 trillion Covid-19 relief package.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
*Stares at his 3 kids*

tenor.gif

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Sorry for the confusion, but does this mean in terms of tax credit or a one-time payment as the previous checks?

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Does saying this is part of the Child Tax Credit mean that this more an advance and you then won't be able to deduct as much for kids on taxes? That's fine, because money now is much better than having to pay less money later, but it certainly changes exactly how generous this is.

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
It's for one year? I thought the original proposal was an ongoing program.

I find the US system odd. I remember last year when they had that 1 time payment to the citizens for COVID, whereas other nations were providing stimulus monthly.

All that $$$ at hand, and very little actually goes to the people who are needed to continue to boost said source of $$$.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I prefer Romney's plan as it is permeant. Get that low key UBI passed asap with bipartisan support and then worry about increase payment size with inflation etc later.

ajszenk

Dec 6, 2017
Is this on top of the $1400 stimulus?
Yeah. This is separate from stimulus. The hope is that by doing it for 1 year and using the pandemic as an excuse to fund people will like it so much it'll put pressure on politicians to make it a permanent feature. Goal is to reduce child poverty by half.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
All of my siblings are above the age limit, but this is great for those who need it.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
3k for the year distributed monthly, right? When I first read this I thought they were saying 3 grand per month lol
It's monthly 300.
Yeah. This is separate from stimulus. The hope is that by doing it for 1 year and using the pandemic as an excuse to fund people will like it so much it'll put pressure on politicians to make it a permanent feature. Goal is to reduce child poverty by half.
They already said they want it permanent but reconciliation limitations make it so it's not possible through that route without making deep cuts for it. Like Romney's plan to get rid of SALT and TANF which is basically a third rail for dems.
It's for one year? I thought the original proposal was an ongoing program.
Reconciliation rules get in the way of doing it ongoing that way. They want to make it ongoing through another bill.

Last edited:

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How much can you speedrun adoption?(I know it's apparently hell to actually adopt kids)

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
As someone without a kid yet, this can keep the dems in office

Yep, always said this could easily get bipartisan support. That being said, money is not the best way to provide child benefits. The best option is massively lowering healthcare costs and education costs (ideally, both free). But hey, this is the USA, seems that throwing money at people is the only way to get support. "Just give us money, then let free market do its magic!"

Thisisme

Apr 14, 2018
Keep in mind that this will very likely be negotiated down, including the income threshold. That said, it's still an awesome bill.

Thisisme

Apr 14, 2018
No, it won't be in this iteration, it's part of budget reconciliation.

My understanding is that can still be negotiated. They are talking about lowering the income thresholds for the $1400 stimulus. However, I would be happy to be wrong.

Edit: And when I say negotiation, I mean between the more conservative and progressive dems, not republicans.