• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Power sharing agreement??? Fuck that turtle bitch. If the situation was reversed there wouldn't have even been any talks in the first place. Sit your minority leader ass down you waste of oxygen.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
The people voiced they wanted a Democrat controlled senate. Do not give an inch. Treat republicans as they have treated you.

This. Republicans constantly maintained as their reason for going back on not confirming a SCOTUS judge in the last year of a Presidency was because of the split between Senate and Presidential parties. Fucking ram that shit down their throat.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
It's so weird that Republicans removed the filibuster from most Senate functions EXCEPT passing bills. You'd think that would be the one they'd want to remove!

Then you realize that they they're garbage leaders who don't actually want to make the rules. They're more interested in destroying government than using it.
McConnel isn't dumb--he knows the GOP isn't in power forever. He might have passed some legislation nuking it but without the filibuster it would all be repealed the next time they lost control (2021 as it were).

Judicial appointments however can't be as easily changed with a new administration, and the Senate is never going to be 2/3 controlled by any party to impeach the judges. So he repealed the filibuster for things he knew couldn't be undone when he lost power (lifetime appointments), and kept it to use as a tool when he did.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
Filibuster clamped down on some dumb Trump shit those two years he had a Republican House and Senate. It's a nice tool to have when you're the minority 50% of the time. Nuking it at 50-50 when you're one defection or death from the minority is maybe not the safest tactical move either.

(I generally think they will have to remove it because it's 100% obstruction otherwise, I just wish Republicans weren't so shit and this wasn't required.)

Did it? What laws did the filibuster prevent from being passed?

vrietje

Dec 4, 2018
Just a question since McConnell never did his work and put in the process of appointing or not appointing Obama's sc nominee, can the new senate still appoint this nominee?

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nuke the filibuster and pass election reform with automatic voter registration, universal mail in voting, and make Election Day a national holiday. These crooked fuckers will never hold the majority again without voter suppression.

Your last sentence is of major importance.

Also, I feel like we've been here before. Didn't AOC just talk about how they had to overturn some rule that inhibited certain types of spending?

One put in place by Democrats to curb a Republican President? If we can't hold position, this will bite us in the ass in a few short years.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Filibustering the organizing resolution?

So he wants it nuked, presumably so he can immediately start campaigning on that point.

Schumer your choices are, nuke it and deal with the fallout or change it to require 40 folks present and talking at all times to sustain a filibuster.

I personally am ok with the latter options, in a world with 24 hours news I dare someone to filibuster a civil rights bill. It would be non-stop coverage.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
So is the plan just to throw a handful of really popular things — minimum wage, dream act, voting rights, maybe marijuana decrim — on the floor, and dare the GOP to filibuster? And if they do, hope they annoy Manchin into breaking on the issue? Right now my fear is that this is a bluff to try to get the GOP to not filibuster, and that they won't have the votes to actually nuke it if the bluff gets called.

And if the GOP does let a few ultra-popular things through, cool, but it would be kind of a lost opportunity to just kill it immediately and pass some actual big reform. You can scare the GOP into not filibustering the dream act, but if you just kill the filibuster now you could pass some pretty sweeping immigration reforms/expansions with 50 Dem votes. You could get them to let marijuana decriminalization slide, but if you just kill the filibuster you could pass huge criminal justice reforms alongside that. And then there are all sorts of non-starters like DC statehood and building out a public option for healthcare that it needs to be dead for.

Kommodore

Oct 27, 2017
The only way to keep us from sliding back to Republican control is bold legislation that has a tangible impact on peoples' lives. The absolute worst thing would be falling back into the Do Nothing Democrat status quo, which is exactly what Senate Republicans would want. Fuck 'em, we didn't win control for nothing.

THIS. We either learn from the past or repeat it.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Filibusters are such a ridiculous thing to have in the first place. "We've got one of the best democracies in the world. Unless we have that one guy who wants to just talk forever and prevent anything from being passed". It's just childish, akin to sticking your fingers in your ears and going "LALALA NOT LISTENING" for hours on end. Bin it.

It found its way to the UK recently as well, some Tory bellend started using them against discussions on perfectly reasonable subjects, IIRC

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Don't give these fuckers an inch. We need to treat the next two years like they're all we have to pass as much progressive legislation as want and we cannot waste them for the sake of bullshit "unity optics". As others have said, if the roles were reversed R's would be gleefully blocking every single thing Dems brought to the table.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Get rid of it. The pubs base rewards them for gumming up the works and making sure nothing is done. They have nothing to lose. The country on the other hand blames the dems when nothing gets done.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck his feelings.

The GOP spent the last four years ignoring the democrats and just ramming through their agenda. Now they need to find out what feels like to be on the other side of it.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Do everything you can big and small during these 4 years to make it as hard as possible for republicans to regain control.

Krakatoa

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
The dems better not backdown on this. If this was the other way around the turtle would be laughing his ass off at the suggestion. The Dems own the majority and that's it. Giving up any advantage would be a kick in the teeth to Georgia voters (actually all voters)

red_shift_ltd

May 24, 2019
US
I've been wondering this for years, why not make them do a real filibuster every time?

I know that Ted Cruz did it against the ACA but I don't know of other recent examples. It's like the threat of a filibuster is just taken as enough.

Let the GOP make asses out of themselves and then use that to point and say "They are impeding the government, you should vote them out."

Hound

Jul 6, 2019
I might be dense here, but why is there any sort of power sharing agreement when Harris gives the dems 51 votes? It's 51 to 50, what is there to share?

Also I don't get the hype on nuking the filibuster when in reality all the dems have to do is actually force the GOP senators to stand up there and yell on the senate floor for the four to six hours of energy that they have. Democrats seem to think that just saying the word filibuster is the same as actually using it in practice, and it's not. They just need to grow a spine and wait for the temper tantrum to be over. Every time the Democrats used it, I don't recall it actually stopping anything, it just delayed it slightly.

OP
OP
Richiek

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
I might be dense here, but why is there any sort of power sharing agreement when Harris gives the dems 51 votes? It's 51 to 50, what is there to share?

From earlier in the thread:

The power-sharing agreement that's being discussed is modeled after the one that was enacted in 2001 - the last time there was a 50-50 Senate, when Dick Cheney broke the ties and gave the Republicans the effective majority.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
If you are not going to nuke the filibuster, change the rules. Instead of needing to get 60. Have the Repubs need to get to 45 and make them actually have to filibuster it around the clock. Filibuster is way to easy to use right now.

Hound

Jul 6, 2019
From earlier in the thread:

I think I understand what it's modeled on, but I don't understand why anyone would actually concede the majority if they're actually the majority. If I had to hazard a guess I would just assume that in 2001 Dick Cheney simply wanted to just not be tied to Washington for a vote at a moments notice because he wanted to run the executive branch personally.

Oct 27, 2017
The filibuster is much more useful for Republicans than it is Democrats. There is a great fear that if the Dems nuke it, the GoP will use that opportunity to pass harmful legislation the next time they gain power, but in practice, the GoP's goal is to stall legislation and hold things up, while the Dems are interested in passing laws. So it stands that if the Dems nuke the filibuster then their strategic outlook improves but the GoP strategic outlook of obstruction doesn't change. Remember, this is the party that will filibuster their own votes.

That is my concern, but I see your point. And additionally, I'd say if the Dem majority makes a play to reduce the vote threshold, they better go all in for 2 years and make damn sure people in this country understand how it benefits them.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
The whole concept of a filibuster is dumb as hell. Nuke the shit out of it. The Dems can get rid of the filibuster and make DC a state to ensure a Senate majority in most of the upcoming elections.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
The filibuster is much more useful for Republicans than it is Democrats. There is a great fear that if the Dems nuke it, the GoP will use that opportunity to pass harmful legislation the next time they gain power, but in practice, the GoP's goal is to stall legislation and hold things up, while the Dems are interested in passing laws. So it stands that if the Dems nuke the filibuster then their strategic outlook improves but the GoP strategic outlook of obstruction doesn't change. Remember, this is the party that will filibuster their own votes.
I think there is a middle ground to do a baby nuke of it. Make it that it's harder to do and hold out on things someone here posted a good article as a way to return the spirit of it but make it harder to hold up up legislation.

VivaciousSoul

Sep 23, 2020
How creative can the senate be with what happens with the filibuster? I think we need to have a spectrum, a spreadsheet of democratic senators from Machin to whoever is ready to nuke the filibuster yesterday against a spectrum of filibuster options that goes from outright removing the filibuster to various kinds of reform. Maybe someone who doesn't want to remove it completely could be onboard for requiring endless talking again, or removing it just for statehood or voting rights, or decreasing the number of senators down from 60 to some other number. What if every time the minority filibustered, the number of senators required before a vote decreased until 51 was all that was necessary? The pressure would then be on the minority to actually bring their debate, reasons, and logic for or against whatever the proposal. Regardless I feel like it would be the biggest failure to come away from all this with the filibuster status quo still intact.

As long as we use this opportunity to make the country more democratic I feel less scared about being in the minority without the filibuster. Instead of everything being blocked and no one knowing whether proposed bills were a good idea or a bad idea, how about actually doing stuff and then the people can judge whether it affected their lives for better or worse.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
They definitely should change the rules, at minimum.

The Senate is already antidemocratic by virtue of the way that it overrepresents small states and the filibuster only intensifies that by adding power to them. As others have said, it's also a lopsided power that favors an obstructionist party like the GOP and blocks legislative progress. If you literally have no agenda except to stonewall, of course you want it.

If the GOP had a slim majority and a law that it wanted to enact, no small rule would prevent them from enacting it so hand-wringing about what happens if power shifts is utterly misplaced in my eyes.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Manchin might be more easily persuaded to amend the filibuster, than nuke it entirely. He has already come out against it. But give him some pork, and nerf the filibuster (instead of nuking it), might pull him in.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Filibustering the organizing resolution?

So he wants it nuked, presumably so he can immediately start campaigning on that point.

Schumer your choices are, nuke it and deal with the fallout or change it to require 40 folks present and talking at all times to sustain a filibuster.

I personally am ok with the latter options, in a world with 24 hours news I dare someone to filibuster a civil rights bill. It would be non-stop coverage.
This sounds like the plan. A last desperate attempt for power and even just going by responses in this thread it's clear it might work since people don't get (and aren't being properly explained) what is actually happening. So even though Mitch is acting in bad faith, for a lot of people it might look like Dems blew up the filibuster immediately without even trying to work together.

beansontoast

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2020
The best way to sort this out is for the Dems to bring bills that are popular which the filibuster nuke skeptics like Manchin and dare the GOP to use the filibuster. Because at that point those skeptics have to choose between whether they care more about the filibuster or about bills that help their constituents.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
McConnell created a precedent of bypassing/nuking the filibuster when he was majority leader, expect the same to happen on the other end.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It is just amazing to me you can be as flat out evil as McConnell, and then hope your adversaries just give you the okay to continue being that evil.

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
Ok, ok. I'm not American, but am trying to follow here.

So wait, currently they can filibuster without even having to do it? They just say 'Filibuster no take-backs' and it's the same as if they'd sat there reading the script to The Grinch for 12 hours? That seems insane.

Second question, it looks like for the last 4 years the GOP still had less than 60 senators, so how did they manage to pass anything without Dems 'filibustering' (but not even actually) everything they proposed?

How can you even have a functioning senate if you need a 60/40 majority to do anything, when that almost never happens in reality?

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Second question, it looks like for the last 4 years the GOP still had less than 60 senators, so how did they manage to pass anything without Dems 'filibustering' (but not even actually) everything they proposed?

How can you even have a functioning senate if you need a 60/40 majority to do anything, when that almost never happens in reality?

The GOP used something called reconciliation to pass the single thing the achieved in the 2 years of power. It can only be used once and has limitations, but cannot be filibustered.

Beyond that, the GOP did nothing, which is fine by them. They are basically a party of obstruction and dismantling. The filibuster works for them because they don't want government to work and they just want to break things.

The filibuster needs to go. You're seeing it clearly. It's why it likely will.

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
If the dinosaurs want to hold up legislation then make them spend days talking non stop without passing out

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
The GOP used something called reconciliation to pass the single thing the achieved in the 2 years of power. It can only be used once and has limitations, but cannot be filibustered.

Beyond that, the GOP did nothing, which is fine by them. They are basically a party of obstruction and dismantling. The filibuster works for them because they don't want government to work and they just want to break things.

The filibuster needs to go. You're seeing it clearly. It's why it likely will.

Well shit, I assumed there must have been more to it than just 4 years of clumsily signed executive orders, but apparently I was wrong.