• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
LOL, at Pelosi saying judges count towards border security, when it would help expedite the reuniting children and their families. (The opposite of what the Trump Administration wants, deep down)

This is 100% calling Trump's bluff, so he can get the phrase "border security" out of his mouth. It also simultaneously stymies the media's bullshit "both sides" narratives that Dems aren't negotiating at all.
No, you don't understand, the Democrats CAVED

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't a bad compromise. Trump doesn't get his wall and looks weak to his base. Border security funding that can't be used on the wall, it's maybe not ideal given that there's a humanitarian concern at the border, but you have to give up something. It's savvy by Pelosi and House Dems IMO.

When we have back control of the government in 2021 then we can push through comprehensive immigration reform, which is in the party platform.

Oct 29, 2017
I thought the idea was not to negotiate until the government was reopened, regardless of whether or not a wall happens.

That's why some people are saying this comes across as caving -- because you still made an "offer" which is effectively negotiating.

They had already given him additional funding for border security and no wall, which is what Prez Shitbag didn't like and shut the government down (that was what was passed by the Senate late last year by unanimous vote). The Dems never said "no negotiations", their stance has been "no wall" and this doesn't change that.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
They barely spent what he had before. they wont be able to even spend this money even by the time 2020 comes around, you guys are not looking at the long game with this. They agreed all the time of using technoogy etc for border security and agreed with that. They do not want any walls built which is what the real issue is.

I'm no longer willing to underestimate the fuckery the GOP is capable of. Contracts being handed out to "private security firms", or lofty construction contracts to "repair existing structures", etc. If anyone can burn through $5 billion dollars to make other rich people richer...it's the GOP. We get nothing out of this concession / compromise, and I'd be surprised if this turned any political tides in the long run.

The "best" thing that comes of this is Trump shutting down the Government next year for similar bullshit to keep his antics fresh in peoples minds...because I'm not sure people will "remember" this come Nov 2020, given our current news cycles.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The smart thing to do is wait and see what this proposed hypothetical bill actually includes, and how this bill is going to be presented, before making a call.

But on the face this is ugly. You'd have to be way too deep into Democrat hero worship to not see how ugly it looks. "We will give you five billion US dollars for border security if you reopen the government." When you already have a reputation for being the wimpy pushover party this is the sort of thing that burns your base and envigorates the opposition.

You can't give an inch here. "Technically this isn't caving! Look at our provisos and asterisks!" doesn't work. Even moreso when we have a government that looks at laws and restrictions as technicalities. We've seen the you-can't-do-that-wait-stop-doing-that story play out too many times.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
This is a trap move because it makes him straight up say he shut down the government for the wall

Thank you.

Listening to the Daily last week made me want to bang my head against a wall. A Trump supporting sheriff repeatedly saying Trump understands we need security but doesn't think he means a literal wall the whole way through.

He keeps saying wall! Wall wall wall!

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
How is it that I, a doofus, figured out the move for this before like 80% of the people in this thread did

This is a troll move

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Yay, $5 billion for more child cages. Giving them anything validates their governance by hostage strategy. These terrorists are going to threaten government employees every single time they want something now.
Yep. They shouldn't offer a penny but let's go ahead and buy ICE some fucking tanks and drones.

Sintax

Alt account
Banned
Jan 18, 2019
What in the fuck are y'all talking about. No really.

Not only is it less money, but it explicitly prevents it for being used on a wall.

Who cares? It's still a compromising gesture being made to someone who is holding the country hostage. No matter how you might want to frame this to mitigate the harm it inflicts upon the Democrats, it is still an unacceptable pivot from what should have been a firm refusal to any offer until the government was reopened.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I see people in this thread aren't aware that the Dems have previously already increased their offer of border security since the shutdown began. This isn't the first time the offer moved. Were you freaking out about the Dems caving then?

LinktothePastGOAT

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh look, the same folks at it again wrguing dems caved without actually reading. Not surprising.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Yay, $5 billion for more child cages. Giving them anything validates their governance by hostage strategy. These terrorists are going to threaten government employees every single time they want something now.

I mean, if their definition of border security includes more immigration judges to drastically minimize any time at all spent In cages, this is not going to validate anything this Administration is doing at all

Oct 27, 2017
I just don't like the Democrats basically admitting that our border with Mexico needs to be 'improved'. That has never been an action item for them and basically just reinforces the White Nationalist mentality.
The southern border can be improved to advance Democratic/liberal/Mexican causes. That shouldn't be controversial or really surprising. There is infrastructure that needs to be maintained and improved to help process people quickly or more safely, there is additional improvements to be done in regards to smuggling through legal points of entry, there is improvements to be done to help people who choose to cross illegally through dangerous environments. This is in addition to needing more lawyers, case workers, social workers, health workers ect.... There's a ton of economic and human services that need to be maintained and improved so those beneficial things can continue and continue to improve.

junomars

Banned
Nov 19, 2018
Do you lack basic reading comprehension or something?

Trump shuts down the government--> Uses it as leverage--> Gets Dems to come to the table with a compromise.

Pelosi has said, multiple times, that she does not want to negotiate spending until the government is re-opened. That's what we're decrying as a 'cave', because just as late as a few fucking days ago she said publicly said that government workers should not be taken hostage to make a deal.

I don't but you clearly lack historical context, Republicans have been doing this. Its like you missed the entire Obama presidency.

Secondly, that haven't offered a thing. This is them working out their eventual proposal, I don't know how you think this works but they don't just sit around waiting for the government to reopen to then start working on the budget. It will be ready the moment the government is reopened.

Its just so odd how comfortable are people speaking so strongly about stuff they clearly don't understand.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of bad takes from people who need to be more informed.

If passed, this would not be a win for Trump. If you are worried about how Trump and the WH will spin this then you haven't noticed how they are spinning everything. He could poop his pants and there would be a story about how thoughtful he is for not using toilet water during a shutdown.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Prepare for more shutdowns whenever this asshole wants something and doesn't get it immediately.

Deleted member 2426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the dems calling republicans out on their "dems dont want border security" bluff. They will just look at this and come back with "but wall is border security!!!" and further entrench republicans as the party of wall.

And that certainly will help the mythical light GOP voter to finally, FINALLY decide and vote Dem, right?

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
The smart thing to do is wait and see what this proposed hypothetical bill actually includes, and how this bill is going to be presented, before making a call.

But on the face this is ugly. You'd have to be way too deep into Democrat hero worship to not see how ugly it looks. "We will give you five billion US dollars for border security if you reopen the government." When you already have a reputation for being the wimpy pushover party this is the sort of thing that burns your base and envigorates the opposition.

You can't give an inch here. "Technically this isn't caving! Look at our provisos and asterisks!" doesn't work. Even moreso when we have a government that looks at laws and restrictions as technicalities. We've seen the you-can't-do-that-wait-stop-doing-that story play out too many times.

I agree, Trump has to agree to a concession in addition to reopening the government.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Who cares? It's still a compromising gesture being made to someone who is holding the country hostage. No matter how you might want to frame this to mitigate the harm it inflicts upon the Democrats, it is still an unacceptable pivot from what should have been a firm refusal to any offer until the government was reopened.
Seriously? You rather the government remain shut down than to dead the fucking wall right here and now?

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't fencing already exist though? Would it be building a new structure if you're expanding/upgrading something already in place?

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The funny part is that I can see this passing the Senate then Trump pulling a December and vetoing at the last minute all over again.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
$5 billion to the border with no wall doesn't sound like Dems caving. I don't know what some of y'all are smoking.

Oct 26, 2017

The camps are being closed more and more and this admin is losing a lot of legal cases surrounding the ongoing detainment of immigrants. Also part of this funding is to staff up immigration judges to hear more cases, which will also help cut down on the length of time people are detained. Plus it puts the onus back on Republicans and Trump to take up a vote.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I think the only problem is that Dem concessions like this will shift some blame away from Trump because "they should have done it sooner," despite this clearly falling on Trump and McConnell's shoulders. No wall as a monument to xenophobia and racism is a win, and spending $5b extra on non-wall border security is pretty neutral even if it could be put toward better things.

Of course it doesn't matter if Trump doesn't even accept a no wall proposal.

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (1 day): Hostility towards other users.
If that's what you think they're going to spend that money on you're even more credulous than i thought.

Yea, because budgets are signed and then congress just uses the budget for whatever they want!

Cause you know, it makes so much sense to constantly fight over budgets and appropriations and just fucking ignore them! That sounds right, you cracked the code on how congress works, congratulations!

Fucking idiot

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
I trust Pelosi on this. If this was a Shumer thing I would be worried.

Anyone else read that in the field of dreams voice?

If you build it, crime will fall!

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
Eh morally I am strongly in the camp of no policy negotiations until funding.

But people are suffering. So a true compromise is probably needed.

The big question is, is Trump going to sign a bill that has NO WALL written across it in bold type? Not that it matters. I think at this point if he were that obstructing the Senate would (finally) just override his ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.