• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be the first to say the evidence is looking quite good for Dems this year, but I'm not sure this counts as being part of that? This is entirely expected. Early voting always leans blue and that was expected to be especially true this year as Dems lean hard on mail-in voting and trying to do in-person voting before election day when crowds (and virus exposure) will be at its peak. Early voting numbers looked quite good in Florida for Dems in 2016 and then election day saw a massive unexpected surge of rural conservatives that pushed Trump over the edge.
The thread details what the voting counts were like at this point in 2016. They are notably better now.

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
Those numbers feel so unreal, but it's true that this is a very unusual year. Keep voting, Florida.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Don't worry, Trump has a plan to win seniors.

I know the projection is the point, but I just have to draw attention to the fact that Donald J. Trump literally changed his legal place of residence to Florida this year.

Like, seriously. Dude is literally an old man who just moved to Florida.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
The thread details what the voting counts were like at this point in 2016. They are notably better now.
Right, but the circumstances are also vastly different because of the pandemic and the massive disparity between how each side intends to vote this year. I believe we'll win Florida because of the polling, but early voting has been a historically weak method of predicting anything. You have no way of knowing how election day vote will shake out based on the early vote.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Right, but the circumstances are also vastly different because of the pandemic and the massive disparity between how each side intends to vote this year. I believe we'll win Florida because of the polling, but early voting has been a historically weak method of predicting anything. You have no way of knowing how election day vote will shake out based on the early vote.
That is...also addressed. Did you read the thread?

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be the first to say the evidence is looking quite good for Dems this year, but I'm not sure this counts as being part of that? This is entirely expected. Early voting always leans blue and that was expected to be especially true this year as Dems lean hard on mail-in voting and trying to do in-person voting before election day when crowds (and virus exposure) will be at its peak. Early voting numbers looked quite good in Florida for Dems in 2016 and then election day saw a massive unexpected surge of rural conservatives that pushed Trump over the edge.
Actually, according to a tweet from the Twitter user in the OP, Republicans had the early voting advantage in Florida at this point in 2016.

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Early in-person voting hasn't started in Florida yet. This is all from mail-in voting, in which Republicans have always outpaced Democrats in Florida. Trump played himself.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Early in-person voting hasn't started in Florida yet. This is all from mail-in voting, in which Republicans have always outpaced Democrats in Florida. Trump played himself.

Can anyone mail in vote in Florida? I just feel like this could align with more Dems foregoing election or early vote for mail in vote?

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
The only shame if this year is the year FL goes D is that there's no Gov or Senate Seat up that would benefit from the down ballot.

Well it's a redistricting year, so Dems winning state government seats could be huge for the future of the party in Florida.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
Eventually the 'roid high will wear off and he'll crash.

And that's when the sudafeds kick in

vvdtohhsopv31.jpg

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can anyone mail in vote in Florida? I just feel like this could align with more Dems foregoing election or early vote for mail in vote?
Yes, anyone can request a mail-in ballot in Florida. That's how I voted this year. And you could be right, but that would also mean ignoring all the polls and news of shifting support, and I have a hard time believing that.

Oct 25, 2017
I did. He noticeably doesn't cite where he's getting any of those numbers from.

Florida shares info on absentee ballots as they come in.

The claim in the tweet is somewhat different than how the thread title may be read. He lists turnout rate which would be the percentage of ballots returned by members of each party, simply calling it turnout in the title could be read as more voters registered as Democrats in each county.

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

The claim in the tweet is somewhat different than how the thread title may be read. He lists turnout rate which would be the percentage of ballots returned by members of each party, simply calling it turnout in the title could be read as more voters registered as Democrats in each county.
I don't think anyone is reading it that way, since that's not what turnout means.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018

He's pushing a lot of numbers beyond what's publicly available there. There's no indication of where he's pulling the number of 2020 voters who didn't vote in 2016 or the party breakdown of that count. Or where he's getting the percentage of "vote method shifters."

Anyway, my overall point is that 1) early voting has never been a good predictor, which Nate Silver has gone on at length about in the past, and it's bound to be an especially poor one this year when the pandemic has completely shaken up when and how everyone is going to vote in the middle of an election that's likely to have extremely high turnout in general. And 2) it may not be a great idea to trust some dude on Twitter who's using uncited numbers to say otherwise, without showing his work or explaining anything in a coherent way. Especially when said dude's bio doesn't suggest any experience in statistical analysis but does say he's worked as a spokesperson and an ad maker (aka his whole career has been creating spin) and he's begging for likes while promising to tell people news they want to hear in exchange. Maybe he's right, but if it looks like a grifter and sounds like a grifter...

The Watcher

Oct 29, 2017
All of this over reporting of Democratic voting turnouts is making me anxious. It's like the media wants to rally the Republicans to vote...

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm friends with Kevin. He's a good dude and I like his enthusiasm. Please Florida give us your energy

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A good sign right now for sure, but I think we have to also take into account that we all knew that the Ds would be voting by mail far more than the Rs, who will likely turn out in person much more than Ds who will favor mail-in voting. Trump's idiotic ranting against mail-in voting lead to this. This is all despite Trump trying to backpedal with Florida in particular, who has hilariously been on record trying to say "well Florida's mail-in voting is fine actually" a couple times since his campaign started to realize that this messaging would particularly hurt him in Florida.

All Florida voting has been mail-in only right now. The in-person Early Voting period hasn't yet started, and everyone should expect Rs to close the gap in terms of turnout when that happens. It's going to be extremely tight in Florida.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I love October usually. But damn if I don't want to fast forward it this year and get the election over already. I know it's not the end of the fight, but maybe I can rest for a split second
I will continue fighting to make sure Biden goes more left but I fully admit that just having a day where I dont have to think about the president is immensely attractive to me

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
This should not surprise anyone. People saying they plan to vote for Biden/Dem's have overwhelmingly stated in polls they plan to vote early in person or via absentee ballot, where as Trump/GOP voters have said the opposite.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In person voting hasn't started in Florida yet- which republicans are super into now for some reason.

Zache

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Let's see if this continues when in-person early voting actually starts.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Imagine being so fucking moronic, so incredibly obtuse, so abjectly bad at politics you don't know not to mock the one group that's absolutely tipping over the election towards your rival.
Well, he is also doing his best to kill off that group through Corona virus and super spreader events in Florida and elsewhere. There is no rhyme nor reason.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
All of this over reporting of Democratic voting turnouts is making me anxious. It's like the media wants to rally the Republicans to vote...
Republicans don't really need to be rally to vote. Republicans, unlike Democrats, have historically been motivated to vote each election. If someone is already a trump supporter and a republican, they are likely to be voting anyways. So no need to worry about that.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully a strong Democratic victory happens on November 3rd in Florida!

And for that matter, all elections after that point. My biggest concern (As someone looking at the USA from the outside) is that after these elections and Trump's lot is hopefully removed is that turnout decreases and Republicans come back strong in the following elections, and their representatives are smarter and more sinister than Trump. The pendulum swinging back and forth is no longer a healthy option for your democracy, the Republicans have to fade away.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Republicans are going to vote, regardless. Trump hasn't expanded his base though, Democrats who sat out in 2016 or voted for Trump are energized, and independents are breaking for Biden. Don't worry about an energized GOP. There aren't enough of them when the rest of the electorate is equally energized. As long as we all VOTE, we got this.