• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who's Going to Win South Carolina?

• Joe Biden

Votes: 585 39.2%
  • Bernie Sanders

Votes: 853 57.2%
  • Elizabeth Warren

Votes: 24 1.6%
  • Pete Buttigieg

Votes: 7 0.5%
  • THE KLOBBERER

Votes: 16 1.1%
  • Tom Steyer

Votes: 6 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Poodlestrike

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Turner's the right choice either, but I think you're looking at this from the standpoint of traditions and routines that no longer apply to American politics.
I think that the extent to which they don't is exaggerated by the focus on Trump. The Republicans are playing by different rules, and have been doing so for a while, but the Dems are mostly still operating under the same logic, even if the party's policy platform's shifted left.

Prodigal Son

Oct 27, 2017
The party is split 51-49 against sanders way, of course he's gonna need to appease to the majority.
Come one yo, Nina turner would be a ridiculous choice.
I don't disagree with Turner being a bad choice from traditional political perspectives, but like I said in my original post, sanders is an ideologue. you're crazy if you think he'll for a second weight political expedience over policy for the first time in his life. you fundamentally dont understand who bernie sanders is if you disagree with this

Turner tried to hire a MAGAhatter at OUR! This would make Joe Rogan look like nothing.
yeah yeah kirby i know i agree she's not the best hire politically. I'm saying for sanders she's more likely than fucking klobuchar

Sanders would also be one day away from accomplishing something beyond his movements wildest dreams, and something that would need way more support to happen than just from his ardent supporters, what does he GAIN from having a Nina Turner be his Veep?

Veep choice is supposed to be neutral, or a net benefit.

Nina is not that
i don't disagree? my point is that the names you floated are far, far less likely than she is to make the ticket.

Last edited:

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't disagree with Turner being a bad choice from traditional political perspectives, but like I said in my original post, sanders is an ideologue. you're crazy if you think he'll for a second weight political expedience over policy for the first time in his life. you fundamentally dont understand who bernie sanders is if you disagree with this
Turner tried to hire a MAGAhatter at OUR! This would make Joe Rogan look like nothing.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Sanders would also be one day away from accomplishing something beyond his movements wildest dreams, and something that would need way more support to happen than just from his ardent supporters, what does he GAIN from having a Nina Turner be his Veep?

Veep choice is supposed to be neutral, or a net benefit.

Nina is not that

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
Imagine being 3 days away from a shocking underdog victory in New Hampshire only to have Amy Klobuchar halt all your momentum

Pete's gonna stab something tonight

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I agree traditions are not a good metric in this day and age but even Pence was an olive branch for Trump to the Evangelical base.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
My dream ticket was always Bernie and Warren in any order. I'll keep it that way. Though Castro, Booker, or Beto would be okay. I'd like to see Pete vs Pence debate, and have Pete go at Pence using religion for his policies, but not enough for him to be VP.

cartographer

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Klob is likely to be anybody's VP choice. She hasn't really been hit at all because she's not a contender. The media just dropped the abuse of her staff. The Myon Burrell case won't go away*, and given many of the likely nominees could use a VP who could strengthen black outreach, that's potentially poisonous to all of them.

In the hypothetical scenario where Sanders is the nominee, there's a good chance it's through a plurality and agreements heading into the convention. With that in mind, I think somebody more like Baldwin or Warren or Castro or Harris is more likely than someone like Turner (I don't think he'd choose Turner specifically anyway, though should he become the nominee and win the general, I'd expect her to be part of his administration).

*edit: I mean it won't go away if she's the nominee. White media folks will drop it quickly if she's irrelevant.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
Imagine being 3 days away from a shocking underdog victory in New Hampshire only to have Amy Klobuchar halt all your momentum

Its basically the person 5 squad attack except its all the moderates + warren jumping his ass.

Glorious

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
In the hypothetical scenario where Sanders is the nominee, there's a good chance it's through a plurality and agreements heading into the convention. With that in mind, I think somebody more like Baldwin or Warren or Castro or Harris is more likely than someone like Turner (I don't think he'd choose Turner specifically anyway, though should become the nominee and win the general, I'd expect her to be part of his administration).
Legitimately agree that his VP choice would likely be affected by a contested convention. Otherwise I have no idea who he would pick. I don't think it'd be anyone in the current race (Maybe Warren if anything) and I def don't think he'd pick Nina Turner. He wouldn't choose a moderate that would undermine him if he were to suffer some ill fate.

OP
OP
Poodlestrike

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Klob is likely to be anybody's VP choice. She hasn't really been hit at all because she's not a contender. The media just dropped the abuse of her staff. The Myon Burrell case won't go away, and given many of the likely nominees could use a VP who could strengthen black outreach, that's potentially poisonous to all of them.

In the hypothetical scenario where Sanders is the nominee, there's a good chance it's through a plurality and agreements heading into the convention. With that in mind, I think somebody more like Baldwin or Warren or Castro or Harris is more likely than someone like Turner (I don't think he'd choose Turner specifically anyway, though should he become the nominee and win the general, I'd expect her to be part of his administration).
Harris is honestly probably the most likely of these. He's going to want to try and maximize black turnout and settle down the moderate wing of the party. Kamala might not have caught on, but she was still popular. Her problem was fundraising.

Zasa

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding VP, surely it's gotta be Stacey Abrams for Bernie, no? She said a few months back that she'd love to be VP for any of the candidates & I don't think Bernie needs another old progressive as VP.

Last edited:

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Five possibilities:
  1. People coalesce around the moderate candidate by June
  2. People coalesce around the progressive candidate by June
  3. Brokered convention that leads to a unity ticket.
  4. A moderate wins it fair and square and runs with a progressive
  5. A progressive wins it fair and square and runs with a moderate.

That's it. Anything else and it's a loss in November.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017

Someone should make a gif of how he was staring down Klobuchar... it was similar to how he stared down Eric Swalwell(sp?) after getting owned.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
I agree traditions are not a good metric in this day and age but even Pence was an olive branch for Trump to the Evangelical base.

Pence was also the highest profile person Trump could get to sign onto the ticket because, as we sort of forget in 2020, pretty much everyone though Trump was doomed in 2016 and thought he'd lose.

Oct 25, 2017
boston.cbslocal.com

Exclusive NH Tracking Poll: Sanders And Buttigieg Lead Amid Signs Of Momentum For Klobuchar

All week long, the story has been the rise of Pete Buttigieg to co-frontrunner status with Bernie Sanders. The latest exclusive WBZ/Boston Globe/Suffolk University tracking poll shows they're still co-leaders within the poll's 4.4% margin of error, with Sanders holding steady at 24% and...

Latest Suffolk poll has Bernie at 24% and Buttigieg at 22%; I believe that is a 3 pt drop for Buttigieg, so I feel the debate really did do some damage and move people onto Klob.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
Pence was also the highest profile person Trump could get to sign onto the ticket because, as we sort of forget in 2020, pretty much everyone though Trump was doomed in 2016 and thought he'd lose.
Pence was also worth virtually nothing at the time and had nothing to lose by signing onto Trump.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Pete is getting hit hard online
That's just a preview of what anyone but Bernie is expecting in the Fall.
that's terrifying.
There's still a HUGE chance it's not bernie come June.
The internet better chill out and stop doing republicans work for them.

OP
OP
Poodlestrike

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Regarding VP, surely it's gotta be Stacey Abrams for Bernie, no? She said a few months back that she'd love to be VP for any of the candidates & I don't think Bernie needs another old progressive as VP.
Y'know, I do keep forgetting about her, but she's great and she'd be a solid pick too. Literally my only reservation is that she's currently running that voter protection organization and they're doing great work, but as long as she's got a solid chain of command she should be able to pass the reins off alright.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
You guys are forgetting that the eventual nominee in a brokered convention setting may not have much of a choice for VP.

For example, if Biden's candidacy is resuscitated and at the convention gains support from Bloomberg and Buttigieg and by extension their delegates, he may still need to bargain for some of Warren's or Klobuchar's. Warren thus may negotiate for Vice Presidency -- especially prized on this occasion as it's likely Biden won't be in a position to run for his second term.

In fact, I can see Bernie's nomination mirroring this, with Warren complementing as the strong level-headed (and one-time Republican) VP open to tough compromise.

It wouldn't surprise me if this is Warren's primary strategy for remaining in the race through Super Tuesday. And it also wouldn't surprise me to find Warren subsequently become the first female Vice President... AND President.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Might be my bubble's idiosyncracies but it looks like Pete is getting hit from the left (at least online), not the right. Obviously one doesn't need to worry about the "Bernard Brothers" hitting themselves in 2020. Pete is taking the heat that was laser trained on Biden this entire time. That's what happens when you unseat the moderate frontrunner.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
warren isn't really a "former republican"
She has never held office as a Republican, and she has been a democrat longer than she's held office. (Can't be said for everyone)

medinaria

Oct 30, 2017

my concern with abrams is that I've found it somewhat difficult to figure out what she actually supports on a more national level. obviously, her governor platform is out there, so you can look at that. however, for example, the platform says she favors "expanding medicaid" and "protecting the affordable care act". it, quite naturally, doesn't have anything about if she supports m4a or not. this ends up being true on a lot of issues - because she's really never run a national race, it's difficult or sometimes impossible to figure out where she stands on wars, climate change, etc.

there's definitely some potential there, but I'd have to know a lot more about her before I could support it. being a reasonably-famous almost-governor isn't really enough for me to want her on the ticket.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Bernie supporters vs. Trump supporters in a general election would be an unprecedented internet war. I don't know what the left does if a moderate wins the nomination. It could get ugly.

If anybody but Bernie is the nom, I probably just shut off the politics stream until November and try to tune it out, then just vote and hope for the best.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
Pete's a traitor to his generation in the eyes of some Bernie people. They are, and have been, going after him with a zealotry and fervor that FAR eclipses the mild disagreements of 2016.

Ionic

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Pete's a traitor to his generation in the eyes of some Bernie people. They are, and have been, going after him with a zealotry and fervor that FAR eclipses the mild disagreements of 2016.

So far the vitriol of 2020 has been maybe half that of 2016 which was maybe a fourth that of 2008. We haven't seen anything yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.