• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who's Going to Win South Carolina?

• Joe Biden

Votes: 585 39.2%
  • Bernie Sanders

Votes: 853 57.2%
  • Elizabeth Warren

Votes: 24 1.6%
  • Pete Buttigieg

Votes: 7 0.5%
  • THE KLOBBERER

Votes: 16 1.1%
  • Tom Steyer

Votes: 6 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashane

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
The idea that Pete's trying to just bring back the draft is ridiculous and created out of absolutely nothing.

It's created out of a interview where he absolutely refused to rule it out and say "No, we wont be doing a draft Maddow.."

Again, the candidate himself refused to rule it out. Do you know his plans better then himself? If so, can you please tell me the winning lotto numbers next week?

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's created out of a interview where he absolutely refused to rule it out and say "No, we wont be doing a draft Maddow.."

Again, the candidate himself refused to rule it out. Do you know his plans better then himself? If so, can you please tell me the winning lotto numbers next week?
If you're going to make a claim, you should provide the source, because the context of that conversation matters significantly.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This. Even if it's not compulsory compulsory, the idea that it would just be a default expectation means it'd be mandatory regardless.

Reminds me of this propaganda poster...

6040608.JPG

Last edited:

medinaria

Oct 30, 2017
the problem underlying all of this is the idea that everyone will go to one of these programs and be "changed" the way he (claims he) was. but what if you don't?

what if the bond you get from serving in the military is different from the bond you get if you're sent to montana to be part of the butte beautification brigade or whatever? what if you don't leave feeling "transformed", but instead just feel like you were stuck for a year with people you hate, doing something you don't want to do, and it wasted your time?

the idea that there are like four million valuable, fulfilling jobs that need done in america (and can be done by literally untrained highschoolers) is kind of ridiculous, is it not? people are gonna be picking up trash on the side of the road or something. they can't all be winners.

that's not going to have any sort of effect on "repairing the moral fabric of america" or whatever. count me out.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
If you're going to make a claim, you should provide the source, because the context of that conversation matters significantly.

"If not obligatory than certainly a social norm"
"So afterwards it's the first question on your college application or it's the first question when you're being interviewed for a job"

Starts around 3 min

The idea absolutely is to create something where if you don't do it you're at a disadvantage and he clearly doesn't rule out compulsory.

Ashane

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida

Source has been posted numerous times. The Rachel Maddow interview.

The full interview is 27 minutes, but this 6 minute segment is where he discusses it.

At around 2:40 he starts.

One remarked "... if its civilian OR MILITARY, that its the first question on your college application..." (He specifically says OR MILITARY.. /Point 1)

Another : 4:00 about the draft... Maddow says the easy answer is a draft, but it's one thing the military does not want... Pete says "Well it's one of those idea's that's always liked but never really talked about" in regards to THE DRAFT.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Well it's one of those idea's that's always liked but never really talked about" in regards to THE DRAFT.

No he's talking about the idea of National Service

The issue at and is that he can't commit that his idea won't be a legal mandate... furthermore even if it wasn't he clearly wants it to be a social one which is only better in as much as you won't get fined/go to jail just be judged and perhaps denied jobs/education lol

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
These national service plans are mostly Iowa bait because Iowans are absolutely crazy about national service.

"Barack Obama calls his years working as a community organizer in Chicago's South Side the best education he ever had. He believes that all students should serve their communities. Studies show that students who participate in service-learning programs do better in school, are more likely to graduate high school and go to college, and are more likely to become active, engaged citizens. Schools that require service as part of the educational experience create improved learning environments and serve as resources for their communities. Obama's plan sets a goal for all students to engage in service, with middle and high school students performing 50 hours of service each year, and college students performing 100 hours of service each year. Under this plan, students would graduate college with as many as 17 weeks of public service experience under their belts."

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's like how you don't literally and legally need a college degree for most entry level jobs in the US, but you'd be fired for suggesting such a thing as a career counselor. For all intents and purposes you need to go to college (or join the military, or do that ROTC/college thing) after high school. Market competition turns even the slightest career advantages into practical minimums. Until you resolve this underlying pressure there can be no true "voluntary" service.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's the transcript: http://www.msnbc.com/transcripts/rachel-maddow-show/2019-04-15
BUTTIGIEG: I actually wound up as a command fitness instructor for my year in deployment. But I supposed that would have been useful. But I`m really glad I did get a chance to serve.

It helped me connect with very different Americans, people, especially when I was deployed to Afghanistan who – I had almost nothing in common with them, different politics, different generation, different racially, different regionally. But you learn to trust each other with your life, because that`s what the job requires.

And I want more Americans to have that. I don`t want you to go to war to get it. That`s one of the reasons I think national service will hopefully become one of the themes in the 2020 campaign, because if we really want to talk about the threat to social cohesion that helps characterize this presidency but also just this era.

One thing we could do that would change that would be to make it if not legally obligatory then certainly a social norm that anybody after they`re 18 spends a year in national service. So that afterwards, whether it`s civilian or military, it`s the first question on your college application if you`re applying for college or it`s the first question when you are being interviewed for a job if you go right into the work force.

Now, to do that, we`re going to have to create more service opportunities and we`re going to find a way to fund it. But I think it`s worth approaching.

MADDOW: I feel like that point and you discussing those difficulties with it sort of strikes me on that because it`s always – it`s always really resonated with me, the civilian and military divide that you`re talking about is something I have been interested in a very long time. I wrote a book about it.

And it`s something that I have struggled with because the easy answer is that there should be a draft. And the easy answer that there should be a draft is easy and sounds like a great solution to everybody except the military who doesn`t want to deal with a lot of conscripts who don`t want to be there, because it`s a high skills, high tech environment, voluntary service, professionals.

But this idea of national service that`s not necessarily a draft, I heard so many smart people left, right and center talk about that for the last 15 years. And I feel like it`s this constant drawing board idea. Nobody ever– somebody pilots a thing here or there. There doesn`t seem to be any appetite for it at the federal level in terms of actually making it happen because it will involve some sort of level of raising expectations if not creating a mandate for people and we seem wired as a country to reject that at every level.

I don`t have faith that something like that gets off the drawing board.

BUTTIGIEG: Well, I think it`s a bit like some of the democratic reforms we were talking about earlier. It`s one of the ideas that everybody likes. It was always important and never urgent, right? I mean, how would that ever kind of hold its own in a policy debate where we`re dealing with kids in cages and we have to deal with climate change and all these pressing, burning issues?

But, again, one of the things I`m trying to have us have a conversation about are, what are the conditions that made this moment, this presidency possible? And one of them I think is a fraying in the social cohesion that we experience. And some of that kind of stewardship, kind of housekeeping of our society, I think requires policy intervention that to me makes something like what national service could bring us a little more urgent than we maybe have given it credit for.

I get the obstacles. I get that it would be challenging. But if we made it more of a priority, I think we could establish that as a norm by the time that my kids are going to college.
He is talking about mandatory service, either literal or normative, yes. I was not questioning that E.

It is very clear from the context of the convo it is not envisioning a draft, and the only person who brings up that word is Maddow, who uses it as a jumping off point after noting that the military is downsizing and doesn't actually want a draft because they want less people, not more.

The social aspect Pete talks about here regarding not being exposed to people outside your community (much the same way college affects many) is believed to be a legitimate unintended negative consequence of ending the draft. Absolutely not one that would have been worth keeping the draft around for, of course. There's no need for him to "rule out" a draft when the program he is envisioning absolutely isn't one.

Ashane

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
No he's talking about the idea of National Service

The issue at and is that he can't commit that his idea won't be a legal mandate... furthermore even if it wasn't he clearly wants it to be a social one which is only better in as much as you won't get fined/go to jail just be judged and perhaps denied jobs/education lol

His words clearly say he wants it legal.. however Maddow and Pete realize that its a non starter, so at the *least* he wants it to be a social aspect and a "norm" for society to ask that question on college applications and job interviews.

Let's say he does expand the peace corps, etc to 250K. He would only need 3.4 MILLION ( https://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=372 ) more positions if every child who graduated high school had to volunteer for a year. Roughly 4 *MILLION* volunteer positions would be required. Are you telling me, for half a second, that this would all be peace core jobs? Since it's inception, the peace corp has only had 235K people in it for reference. ( https://files.peacecorps.gov/multimedia/pdf/about/pc_facts.pdf )

This is a joke, and anyone who glances at the numbers knows it. There is no way he could increase volunteer services by millions without factoring in the military taking some of them, which is why he never says that. Because its common sense.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
His words clearly say he wants it legal.. however Maddow and Pete realize that its a non starter, so at the *least* he wants it to be a social aspect and a "norm" for society to ask that question on college applications and job interviews.

Let's say he does expand the peace corps, etc to 250K. He would only need 3.4 MILLION ( https://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=372 ) more positions if every child who graduated high school had to volunteer for a year. Roughly 4 *MILLION* volunteer positions would be required. Are you telling me, for half a second, that this would all be peace core jobs? Since it's inception, the peace corp has only had 235K people in it for reference. ( https://files.peacecorps.gov/multimedia/pdf/about/pc_facts.pdf )

This is a joke, and anyone who glances at the numbers knows it. There is no way he could increase volunteer services by millions without factoring in the military taking some of them, which is why he never says that. Because its common sense.
The military literally doesn't want them. They are currently downsizing.

Jobs Guarantee proposals (which are optional) also envision a mass expansion of government employment programs. And those proposals sure as hell aren't putting them in the military.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW

You people do realize that the military doesn't just "take people in" without there being an adjustment in authorizations to increase end strength and appropriations meant to increase capacity? Every single service member "costs" more than their paycheck. There are benefits, training, moving (PCS) expenses, health care/retirement, living allowances...

Again: the military does not want any random Era poster (unless that poster volunteers), or anyone else who isn't part of an all-volunteer force; and because people are expensive, that's why the services invest more in capital than labor.

This line of argument is simply not realistic.

Increasing the size of the Peace Corps is objectively way less expensive.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
He can't win, he has almost literally no black support. He'll be crushed in the South. The big problem is whether he wins in NH, which would mess up Sanders' momentum at the same time that Biden is collapsing, possibly allowing Bloomberg to advance into the top level. In this scenario it's highly unlikely anyone hits the required delegate count and we go to a brokered convention.
In the same way, Biden sucking up all moderate support then collapsing ruined the chances of other moderates earlier like Beto and Booker, both of which were better (especially Booker) and more electable than Buttigieg who's really a novelty candidate who happens to be the only one around at the right point. Bloomberg should have backed Booker or someone else earlier.

Ashane

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
You people do realize that the military doesn't just "take people in" without there being an adjustment in authorizations to increase end strength and appropriations meant to increase capacity? Every single service member "costs" more than their paycheck. There are benefits, training, moving (PCS) expenses, health care/retirement, living allowances...

Again: the military does not want any random Era poster (unless that poster volunteers), or anyone else who isn't part of an all-volunteer force; and because people are expensive, that's why the services invest more in capital than labor.

This line of argument is simply not realistic.

Increasing the size of the Peace Corps is objectively way less expensive.

You don't read the military times much I take it. The Army usually misses its recruitment goals. They downgraded them four times (maybe three, rusty as its been awhile) and still missed them.

www.militarytimes.com

Manning the military: America’s problem

Conscription using a lottery based system would be a fair, efficient, sustainable, legal and proven alternative to fixing the military's recruiting problem, says the author of this commentary.

mwi.usma.edu

It’s Not the Economy: Why the Army Missed its Recruitment Goals and What to Do About It - Modern War Institute

In 2018 the US Army failed to meet its recruitment goals for the first time since the height of the Iraq war in 2005. Military leaders have attributed that failure […]

The issue is, the military is doing what use to be against the rules. To quote:

"Over the past 18 years of "endless war," the Pentagon has adopted numerous measures to prop up the AVF. These measures included: repeat deployments that violated long-standing dwell time policies; stop-loss, a "back door draft"; unprecedented enlistment and reenlistment bonuses; lowered enlistment standards; and the use of prescription psychotropic drugs to deal with service members' emotional and psychological stress. "

Stop-Loss is especially one on my list, as both of my brother in laws were extended beyond their date with a new tour in Iraq as a "Thanks buds!".

So again: The military is indeed getting desperate to keep its recruits, extending them by shady legal means, and is looking at ways to increase recruitment to meet their goals. The Army does indeed want people. They need people in fact.

/Edit/ Probably getting off topic a bit.. suffice it to say the candidates own words betray what those who support Pete would like you to believe. The guys a ratfuck. I'll leave it at that ;)

eebster

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
this is pretty interesting. are these numbers accurate:

And apparently Sanders would be in the lead if all the mistaken counts were corrected.

This guy is also finding more and more errors in the counts.

Taniel (@Taniel) | Twitter

The latest Tweets from Taniel (@Taniel). Daniel Nichanian. crim justice, local elections, voting rights, pol theory. Journalist. Editor, The Appeal: Political Report. Fellow/JusticeCollab. PhD/UChicago

I hope some major media outlet runs this story with the specific numbers. This shit is really unacceptable

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
And apparently Sanders would be in the lead if all the mistaken counts were corrected.

The latest Tweets from Taniel (@Taniel). Daniel Nichanian. crim justice, local elections, voting rights, pol theory. Journalist. Editor, The Appeal: Political Report. Fellow/JusticeCollab. PhD/UChicago

I hope some major media outlet runs this story with the specific numbers. This shit is really unacceptable

I saw someone suggest that more errors are found for Bernie and Buttigieg than for the other candidates, because that's where people are looking, but no matter who benefits, these examples show that the SDE allocation has so many errors it's impossible to use for anything.

The DNC said they wanted to audit everything. Is that still going ahead or did they change their mind after Pete was declared winner?

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
You don't read the military times much I take it. The Army usually misses its recruitment goals. They downgraded them four times (maybe three, rusty as its been awhile) and still missed them.

I do. I'm actually Air Force. There's a huge difference in not meeting recruiting goals (which would correspond to already established authorized end strength numbers) and expanding the force by absorbing millions. That simply isn't happening.

All that said, I'm sorry about your bothers-in-law.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan's issues are primarily geography and that much of the housing stock in use today literally couldn't be built under today's zoning codes.

Don't forget building codes! I type from my apartment building whose fire rating was recently updated to "flammable".

In the same way, Biden sucking up all moderate support then collapsing ruined the chances of other moderates earlier like Beto and Booker, both of which were better (especially Booker) and more electable than Buttigieg who's really a novelty candidate who happens to be the only one around at the right point. Bloomberg should have backed Booker or someone else earlier.
Booker never being a front runner meant he was never a main target of attack. He'd have been eaten alive if that'd happened.

Deleted member 20630

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Conclusion: Bernie Sanders won Iowa.

Ashane

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I do. I'm actually Air Force. There's a huge difference in not meeting recruiting goals (which would correspond to already established authorized end strength numbers) and expanding the force by absorbing millions. That simply isn't happening.

All that said, I'm sorry about your bothers-in-law.

Thanks, really sucks.

I'd agree with the statement, it just seems as if he's a military guy who wants to expand the forces, so that's my position. There's another article about him having a map of afghanistan with all the mineral deposits marked out. That... really bugs me. It tells me hes after resources, and needs the military to do it.. which means expanding it.

Source for the curious.

Deleted member 2779

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've only read this page but from the discussion it sounds like some Starship Trooper-esque shit is going down with Buttigiege lmao

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, really sucks.

I'd agree with the statement, it just seems as if he's a military guy who wants to expand the forces, so that's my position. There's another article about him having a map of afghanistan with all the mineral deposits marked out. That... really bugs me. It tells me hes after resources, and needs the military to do it.. which means expanding it.

Source for the curious.

There's a lot to go after Pete with, but this is a conspiracy theory.

OP
OP
Poodlestrike

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I've only read this page but from the discussion it sounds like some Starship Trooper-esque shit is going down with Buttigiege lmao
It's not quite that bad, but yeah, there's always shades of that in these discussions. Hard to talk about the issue when so much of the language has its roots in bad places.
Thanks, really sucks.

Source for the curious.

It's really not a great look - tacky at best, indicative of imperialist fantasies at worst - but I'd point out that if he wanted to engage in that kind of thing he wouldn't need to create a draft. Our armed forces are bloated enough already!

fuck

Deleted member 20630

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There's a lot to go after Pete with, but this is a conspiracy theory.

It's a fact that Pete has the map. Saying something suspicious-looking looks suspicious isn't a conspiracy theory, it's a speculation that it looks sinister, especially in the context of Buttigieg's racism. Please take a second to examine your internalized biases here, recognize that the US is an imperialist nation that has been mired in Afghanistan for 20 years, and that pointing out something like what we're talking about and going "This looks really bad," and stop just dismissing things out-of-hand as a conspiracy theory just to shut the discussion down.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Reading Thomas Piketty is bad now? Oh, the map. I mean, I have a framed case with an Afghan flag in it, which was a deployment keepsake.

There are a host of reasons to clown on Pete, like the fact that he has 1 black supporter (Charlamagne), but having a map isn't one of them. I'm sure any one of us could look at another's bookshelf or knick-knacks and concoct some nefarious narrative.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a fact that Pete has the map. Saying something suspicious-looking looks suspicious isn't a conspiracy theory, it's a speculation that it looks sinister, especially in the context of Buttigieg's racism. Please take a second to examine your internalized biases here, recognize that the US is an imperialist nation that has been mired in Afghanistan for 20 years, and that pointing out something like what we're talking about and going "This looks really bad," and stop just dismissing things out-of-hand as a conspiracy theory just to shut the discussion down.
It's the conclusions drawn from the map that makes it a conspiracy theory.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Got my mail ballot today in Florida. Still debating who to give my vote to. Sanders, Biden or Warren. I'd honestly give my vote to Sanders if I wasn't so afraid of trump steamrolling over him in true General with communist adds and socialism scaremongering which I am sure will get to the minds of Americans everywhere. I just don't see a world where he wins which sucks. That and he's 80. He'll probably die two years in if by some miracle he wins. Warren is done i believe and Pete is....well let's just say if it was between Pete and Trump I would rather sit it out and let the world burn. Biden at least had some administration experience. The Democrats need moderates to win this election and Biden can handle that easily. I also believe moderates are the majority of people in the USA. Then again Biden also proposes no new changes. Just the same status quo.

This election is hard goddammit

Vyrak

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
User Banned (1 Week): Hostility in violation of the staff post

Did you not get the hint when your last idiotic topic on this got closed?

Deleted member 20630

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's the conclusions drawn from the map that makes it a conspiracy theory.

Can you explain what conclusion I drew that makes this a conspiracy theory? Like what is the actual conspiracy I'm espousing aside from "pete, a known racist, has a thing that looks really suspicious at best"

There's a mod in this thread saying the same thing, so are they also espousing conspiracy theories?

You're acting so suspicious of this, but you won't stop for a second and just question whether or not the thing we're actually talking about looks alarming.

Status
Not open for further replies.