• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who's Going to Win South Carolina?

• Joe Biden

Votes: 585 39.2%
  • Bernie Sanders

Votes: 853 57.2%
  • Elizabeth Warren

Votes: 24 1.6%
  • Pete Buttigieg

Votes: 7 0.5%
  • THE KLOBBERER

Votes: 16 1.1%
  • Tom Steyer

Votes: 6 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

One of Biden's guys.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Lol that's certainly a strategy

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure what is actually wrong with this quote (unless there's more context we're missing)? Obviously running for president and meeting people at whiplash speed is going to give you a particular insight into different life experiences that you otherwise would not have had.
Better context for that Bernie quote, from the same person:

It's extremely reasonable.

This quote is why there's been a problem - Vermont has a massively disproportionate number of its black residents incarcerated, which Bernie could have learned from speaking with members of that community in Vermont at some point in the 50 years he's been living there. He was able to avoid this conversation for that long likely because Vermont's the second-whitest state in the country and black voters are a tiny 1.4% of the population as opposed to 12.5% nationwide.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Or he knows he's a pretty safe bet for SC and NV will be harder.

Yep. I'd be really concerned if I thought Pete with his lack of minority support could win in SC. Pete might do well in Lily White states, but if/when he doesn't get the pick up that he needs from these other states, he'll be running on fumes in no time.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's extremely reasonable, except for the part where his hardcore supporters treat him like the only candidate whose been consistent on civil rights, when the actual reality shows, he was involved in the Civil Rights in the 60's, then fucked off to Vermont for decades.

Again, imagine if Mayor Pete, Hillary, or Kamala said this. People would be slamming them for it.
What? No one in good faith would have an issue with a candidate simply saying they got a better understanding of the corrupt/racist criminal justice system by hearing about various life experiences once they ran for president. Again, that doesn't suddenly remove all candidates' records/issues in regards to race of course.
This quote is why there's been a problem - Vermont has a massively disproportionate number of its black residents incarcerated, which Bernie could have learned from speaking with members of that community in Vermont at some point in the 50 years he's been living there. He was able to avoid this conversation for that long likely because Vermont's the second-whitest state in the country and black voters are a tiny 1.4% of the population as opposed to 12.5% nationwide.
That has nothing to do with the quote in question though. The insinuation was that he suddenly learned that the criminal justice system had problems only once he ran for president. That doesn't somehow remove all of Bernie's flaws in regards to race, but that was never the point being made.

Last edited:

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
I have hope Biden can beat trump
I have hope Sanders can beat trump
I do not have hope Pete can beat trump

shamanick

Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Ignoring Staff Post with Regards to Metacommentary
It'll be nice when people stop tilting at straw BernieBros and start engaging with actual discussion

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Pete's makin' me a little nervous. His momentum has been insane, please be temporary. Bernie moving into attack position is a pretty good indication. Though his attacks are good so I'm not too worried.

I imagine Pete is going to be fending everybody off tonight

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the last four years, simply not being Trump is enough. "Wouldn't have done shit" is actually "Kept our standing in the world, not made anything worse, protected rights." Bitching about Hillary years after it's been objectively proven that she would have been ten times the President we got today seems ridiculous.

When was the last time "I'm not the Republican in power right now" worked?

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
i'd be interested to know what the weighing of likely voters versus registered democrats is. That's big lens that polls have to be read though since nh is not only an open primary but because of it's long history and self appointed importance it remains the kind of contest independents can make a big splash in, especially when there isn't a republican race to draw attention.

thoughthaver

Banned
Feb 6, 2020
It'll be nice when people stop tilting at straw BernieBros and start engaging with actual discussion
lol they never will. to libs, we're still a mass of angry white boys despite all the evidence to the contrary.

Pete's catching up in the averages too

look mack, back in the old days when you lost a bunch of points they would light a candle in your name and tell you to pick up your pants. that's what i always did and that's what everybody did. now these days, all these young people come up to me and tell me "biden we need healthcare" and i tell them what you need is an attitude adjustment buster

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Two 4th places in a row would be disastrous for Biden. If he comes in 3rd at least they can claim he's starting a comeback.

Oct 25, 2017
I asked my wife who she thought had won the Iowa Caucus and she said "Buttigieg right?", aware that he had prematurely declared victory but convinced that either way he was the eventual winner

I wonder how many other people this was effective with. I'm sure his boost from Iowa is owed to both his strong performance and virtual tie, but also some people not realizing that he hadn't actually "won" (though he still might in terms of SDEs) and suddenly seeing him as more viable

shamanick

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah it's pretty difficult to see path for Biden going forward. I also don't think Buttigieg will maintain momentum once the states start becoming more diverse, but I could of course be wrong. Super Tuesday can't come soon enough

Ashane

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
It's extremely reasonable, except for the part where his hardcore supporters treat him like the only candidate whose been consistent on civil rights, when the actual reality shows, he was involved in the Civil Rights in the 60's, then fucked off to Vermont for decades.

Again, imagine if Mayor Pete, Hillary, or Kamala said this. People would be slamming them for it.

You pretend as if he was not a civil rights leader in Vermont. "Fucked off for decades".. you mean, leading a city that became one of the most livable, ranked one of the best mayors, and led several projects to help housing for the lower class, etc?

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
For anyone to beat Trump? Nope, i feel like whoever gets the nomination, Trump will be the favorite to win. Not saying the Democrats have no Chance, but it will be a hard fight.
No one should treat it as a lay-up, but Trump's approval and re-elect numbers have been consistently terrible. If Obama was rocking a 43% approval rating (as Trump is on 538 average currently) in 2012, we all would have taken a Romney victory for granted.

Oct 27, 2017
Sanders doesn't need a campaign for president in order to understand the extent of prejudice in the justice system. Especially with his record on civil rights participation established decades ago in New York City, mayor of Burlington VT, and years in the Senate, that statement does not compute. Because of course it's not the full quote.

In the full quote there are a few things he admits he didn't realize, like the 400,000 incarcerated but not charged with anything. He also discusses learning the specifics on how the experience differs state by state.

Beware of quote-only tweets from journalists without attribution or article.

As for Biden's staff vs. Turner, using population percentages and polling data to tell specific people who they are and what they value is always a bad idea.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Me, last week: "They should just stop polling New Hampshire. It's a waste of time. New Hampshire is a total non-contest."

Me, now: "If I don't get another three New Hampshire polls in the next 24 hours I'm relocating the hostages and no longer cooperating with law enforcement."

Status
Not open for further replies.