• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who's Going to Win South Carolina?

• Joe Biden

Votes: 585 39.2%
  • Bernie Sanders

Votes: 853 57.2%
  • Elizabeth Warren

Votes: 24 1.6%
  • Pete Buttigieg

Votes: 7 0.5%
  • THE KLOBBERER

Votes: 16 1.1%
  • Tom Steyer

Votes: 6 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017

let's forget about Iowa. Bernie and Pete did great; Biden flopped. They might never get all the issues in the data fixed but a fraction of an SDE here and there is not going to change the results. Ban caucuses.

Oct 26, 2017
Why the FUCK are my results?

37385.jpg

OP
OP
Poodlestrike

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
idk about you guys. but I would rather have a president who tries to pass things I like and fail than one who doesn't even try???
I dunno if this is the actual dilemma, though.

I heard this great discussion on... I think it was The Weeds about what they felt were the big differences between the candidates. One of the things that came up was legislative strategy. Biden will basically take lumps on his stuff - give the other side things actually anathema to what he wants - if it means they'll vote for whatever it is he's trying to pass. Bernie... mostly doesn't. He's actually not as hardline as his image would have you believe, but like, Bernie would generally prefer to not pass legislation he thinks is too compromised, even if it means he doesn't get any of what he wants. So everybody's trying to pass stuff you like, unless what you like is... I dunno how to put it. Unvarnished bills? Which sounds too dismissive for what I mean, but like, that's sort of the core dilemma here. Do you get some good stuff and take the bad with it or do you just not get stuff at all. That's what I think Biden would pitch his approach as.

There's a lot wrong with Biden's approach, though. First and foremost that a lot of what the other side wants at this point is to sabotage what you want, just because you want it. That's what happened with the ACA, when you get down to it. Republican members of congress had a bunch of demands and ended up making it a party line vote anyway, even when they were met. That weakened and watered down the bill and they were able to run against it for 6 years. Was still popular enough to make it difficult to remove, but hell, if they took that same vote now, it'd probably just pass.

Ultimately, I think that the core of it is: any executive action focused agenda is going to be definitionally short-term. They're too easy to roll back, too vulnerable to interference from the courts. The next Republican administration (and there would be one, because there's basically nothing you can do with EOs on small-d democratic reform) would just undo the entire term, no matter how popular it is, because they're governing from the minority anyway so might as well just focus on making their base happy by making those dirty libs miserable, right? That's why it's so damn important to take back the Senate and either repeal the Filibuster or do Bernie's kinda dumb "overrule the parliamentarian on everything" Filibuster reform by any other name. Democratic reform has got to top the agenda in 2020, above even healthcare, because if we can do that it gives us so much more breathing room on everything else.
Are we considering all of those EOs equal because I keep stipulating popularity for a reason. If you improve peoples material conditions and then immediately take it away you don't think they'll form the understanding that something good was taken from them and then they agree that they want it back?
Not really. Depends a lot on implementation and public relations. Republicans are very happy to take it in the teeth if it makes Democrats and minorities miserable.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
That is a ridiculous comment from Sanders. Anybody who feels like that is a remote possibility is being delusional.

McConnell won't vote on Chuck Grassleys prescription drug bill, one that the president of McConnell's own party gives lip service to in his campaign speeches and has widespread support among McConnells own constituents.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As a Bernie supporter going into Iowa, my main fear was Biden, not Pete. As far as I'm concerned, Iowa was a moral victory for me because Biden just sunk (lower than Warren, jesus). I really don't care how the delegates are split up, and everyone tells me Pete swamped Iowa with ads so I don't think he can repeat this performance unless his war chest is just that big. Biden becomes more of a passing nightmare with every hour.
Butti nuked NH with ads just as much as Iowa, so that bit's not over. And he does have a decent warchest still. For Biden, his demos are more not-Iowa, but yeah, the media is loving the narrative of a falling Biden atm and that hurts him. We'll see how that works out in Nevada and SC.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto

let's forget about Iowa. Bernie and Pete did great; Biden flopped. They might never get all the issues in the data fixed but a fraction of an SDE here and there is not going to change the results. Ban caucuses.

I mean it's a worthless amount of delegates to bother over, the whole point of Iowa is to take the initial momentum which... recanvassing will not provide

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Despite Sanders leading by thousands in the popular vote. I think that's the point those posters were getting at.

Yes, it's the nature of a caucus and a candidate like Sanders vs a candidate like Buttigieg.

In precincts where Sanders was not viable it's likely he held onto more votes but was below 15% than in precincts where Buttigieg was not viable. Buttigiegs first round supporters were likely to reassign to another moderate like Biden or Klobochar in the 2nd round, Sanders supporters are less likely and would still keep their vote with Sanders. While some Sanders supporters in the first round would go for another progressive like Warren, the number who would switch is less than that of a Buttigieg, Klobochar, or Biden -- relatively. Those votes still count towards the popular vote tally but they assign no delegates if the candidate does not break viability.

This is also why Sanders has focused on the "most votes in the first round" line. Because he has more "true believers" than most other candidates, which is an asset in a primary state (you only have 1 vote, there's no runoff or ranked choice) but not as valuable in a caucus state.

Doesn't really matter. Cruz won Iowa in 2016, Trump finished in a distant 3rd or 4th. And then swept super Tuesday. The Iowa democratic caucus has predicted the candidate for about 20 years but that's sort of been a coincidence.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Elections really aren't that complicated you guys. How did the US manage to fuck up this entire process so thoroughly?

Zasa

Oct 25, 2017
Watching these town halls, the contrast between the questions Pete & Warren received is incredible. The tone also just seems drastically different. Warren was constantly getting pushed by Cuomo on tough questions regarding gun control, health care & immigration. Meanwhile Cuomo's treating this like a stand-up set & has barely pushed Pete.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
Don't campaigns have to pay for recounts? Like that Jill Stein kickstarter?

Seriously it would be a waste of money to do it for a symbolic victory that doesn't net any national delegates.

Depths

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watching these town halls, the contrast between the questions Pete & Warren received is incredible. The tone also just seems drastically different. Warren was constantly getting pushed by Cuomo on tough questions regarding gun control, health care & immigration. Meanwhile Cuomo's treating this like a stand-up set & has barely pushed Pete.

They literally brought him in asking him how he felt about his "Iowa win". The shit was softball.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
The bigger picture - if Biden and Warren collapse....who benefits the most Sanders or Buttigieg?????

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Elections really aren't that complicated you guys. How did the US manage to fuck up this entire process so thoroughly?

This is 'Murica, we're exceptional at fucking up basic things like measurement systems, healthcare, and democracy. It's what we do.

As stupid as the Iowa Caucus is though, it's more of a weird relic than anything malicious. I'm honestly glad this year's is so f'd up as maybe it'll mean it finally dies the death it deserves.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
The bigger picture - if Biden and Warren collapse....who benefits the most Sanders or Buttigieg?????

Your question just happened to be answered a mere second before, but to add:

It has been clear for a year that Buttigieg's voters are extremely limited to just a few states due to the demographics of his voters.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
That is a ridiculous comment from Sanders. Anybody who feels like that is a remote possibility is being delusional.

McConnell won't vote on Chuck Grassleys prescription drug bill, one that the president of McConnell's own party gives lip service to in his campaign speeches and has widespread support among McConnells own constituents.

If that's the case then Biden and Warren's plan of crafting the perfect bipartisan bill to sway the senate is even more of a fantasy.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Ignoring the staff post with regards to conspiracy theorizing
I mean... I guess? Whatever gets you through the night, is alright

The errors in the data (that are unlikely to be corrected) favor sanders to overtake Pete, and we have video of suspicious coin toss wins for Pete.

It was pretty obviously stolen, but it won't matter in the long run.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Biden people will split among Pete and Bernie so that's a wash.
Warren people will split among Bernie and Pete.

Here's the real unmentioned wild card: YangGang

Do they go to Bernie or do they disappear? If they go to Bernie they can push him over Pete but they're just as likely to sit it out, I don't get those people.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
pete. More Warren supporters went to him in Iowa than to Sanders.

I wonder how much moving between choices actually matters given how the caucus works? This is more to say that the caucus process is bizarre than to argue this works in any specific person's favor, but given how viability works and how the delegates are split, moving to another candidate for the final alignment doesn't necessarily mean you like them specifically vs wanting another candidate to do worse if you can get someone else past the line of viability, right?

...actually, how do we even know (or reasonably exptrapolate) this stuff about people moving to specific candidates when we just have the totals and no actual data on individuals shifting?

GottaBelieve

May 11, 2019
The errors in the data (that are unlikely to be corrected) favor sanders to overtake Pete, and we have video of suspicious coin toss wins for Pete.

It was pretty obviously stolen, but it won't matter in the long run.

It wasn't "pretty obviously stolen". It was a closely contested election with a garbage set of rules.

This hyperbole is legit gonna give me a stroke

OP
OP
Poodlestrike

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It's not as bird brained as Biden but isn't her plan to slow roll watered down programs to garner support to eventually get M4A?
Nnnnot really?

Her plan is to pass a public option more or less immediately, work on other legislative priorities, and then circle back around to M4A later rather than spending all her political capital on it and probably not getting anything else done. If it works out, the first-term pro-democracy reforms would make it a lot easier to pass anyway.

There's literally no argument that Pete won based on the data we have.
There is, though. Like, a very close race on SDEs that Pete won is at least an argument, even if you don't agree with it.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Your question just happened to be answered a mere second before, but to add:

It has been clear for a year that Buttigieg's voters are extremely limited to just a few states due to the demographics of his voters.
People are a little too certain of this I think. It's not unprecedented for a candidate to be doing poorly nationally (including with black voters) and then do well in early contests and build the coalition once people are paying more attention.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
...actually, how do we even know (or reasonably exptrapolate) this stuff about people moving to specific candidates when we just have the totals and no actual data on individuals shifting?
You can make some educated guesses based on platform and policy, but that's all. It's just guesswork.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Biden people will split among Pete and Bernie so that's a wash.
Warren people will split among Bernie and Pete.

Here's the real unmentioned wild card: YangGang

Do they go to Bernie or do they disappear? If they go to Bernie they can push him over Pete but they're just as likely to sit it out, I don't get those people.
All 4 of them probably go 75 percent to bernie and 25 percent back to not voting

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Nnnnot really?

Her plan is to pass a public option more or less immediately, work on other legislative priorities, and then circle back around to M4A later rather than spending all her political capital on it and probably not getting anything else done. If it works out, the first-term pro-democracy reforms would make it a lot easier to pass anyway.

The end result is the same, passing anything using political capital in the senate is impossible if Mitch wont even look at something his own party wants.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
There is, though. Like, a very close race on SDEs that Pete won is at least an argument, even if you don't agree with it.
A difference of less than two SDEs, less than .1%. That's if you trust the methodology, which none of us do.

The most charitable thing you can say about Pete in real-world terms is that he tied on delegates.

But Bernie got more votes. Bernie won.

OP
OP
Poodlestrike

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The end result is the same, passing anything using political capital in the senate is impossible if Mitch wont even look at something his own party wants.
Oh, sure.

Let me be clear, if we don't get the Senate nobody's passing anything. That should be priority #2.
A difference of less than two SDEs, less than .001%. That's if you trust the methodology, which none of us do.

The most charatable thing you can say about Pete in real-world terms is that he tied on delegates.

But Bernie got more votes. Bernie won.
Hey, that's your argument, that's your argument. Just don't like the idea that there's no argument to be had at all. Makes people act dumb, provokes hostilities, all that.

Discrepancies are all part of the process in Iowa. Guarantee you some hurt Pete, some helped him. The satellite caucus thing sticks out. If they've landed on a 2-delegate lead, that's what he's got. You want to say that Bernie got the popular vote and that's what matters, go for it. But please don't say that there's no argument at all.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, sure.

Let me be clear, if we don't get the Senate nobody's passing anything. That should be priority #2.

Hey, that's your argument, that's your argument. Just don't like the idea that there's no argument to be had at all. Makes people act dumb, provokes hostilities, all that.

Discrepancies are all part of the process in Iowa. Guarantee you some hurt Pete, some helped him. The satellite caucus thing sticks out. If they've landed on a 2-delegate lead, that's what he's got. You want to say that Bernie got the popular vote and that's what matters, go for it. But please don't say that there's no argument at all.
I'm up for arguing whether Bernie won or tied. That's fair game.

To claim that Pete won is to claim that a .1% difference in a functionally meaningless metric is victory.

OP
OP
Poodlestrike

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Cuz at this point, either camp asking for a recount is a losing strategy. Both want to claim victory and move on. Dragging this out for even longer in order to gain bragging rights doesn't really help anybody
Yuuuuup.

Worth noting for people following this thing for the first time, a traditional feature of Iowa is that everybody always claims victory on some level. If you got first in the delegates and the vote count, you'd better believe #2 is out here talking about how they beat all expectations and really their surging momentum means they're the real winners, and #3 talks about how holding strong before their good states means it's really their victory, and so on and so forth. Spin is part of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.