• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who's Going to Win South Carolina?

• Joe Biden

Votes: 585 39.2%
  • Bernie Sanders

Votes: 853 57.2%
  • Elizabeth Warren

Votes: 24 1.6%
  • Pete Buttigieg

Votes: 7 0.5%
  • THE KLOBBERER

Votes: 16 1.1%
  • Tom Steyer

Votes: 6 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
oakland-park.png
The Bernie camp, in setting up the satellite caucuses in the first place, wrote up the rules for how delegates should be awarded. It appears I'm racist because I think those agreed-upon rules should just be followed?

Rodderick

Oct 25, 2017
But at the time those satellite results were coming in, pollsters were confused because they were assigning delegates in a way they didn't think was right. So... It might actually be that they fucked up the count in Bernie's favor there. Had the situation been reversed people would be pissed that they were counted wrong.

Which leads us back to the point: caucuses are a clusterfuck that deserve to be burned to the ground.

But in this thread people are saying Pete should move on and that it doesn't matter anyway because Sanders got the minority vote, which should be the only focus. Funny how that wasn't the line of thought when Hillary killed Bernie with POC back in 2016.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I haven't been able to keep up today. Bernie won?

Maybe a moral victory. By the measure that has traditionally counted until this year (SDEs), he lost by a little bit. By actual pledged delegate count, it's a tie. By popular vote, he won by a little bit. Either side can point to one of those and claim victory, but in the end, the actual pledged delegate count is what will matter, and neither side 'won' that.

To me, the bigger 'win' is Biden's underperformance. So much for Biden's inevitability going forward.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
I'm glad Bernie came out and declared victory. There's no way you can let Pete be the only one claiming victory in this clusterfuck.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Biden won't recover - once he's down, he stays down and can't get up. It's just a little funny that the blow came so early on.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
But at the time those satellite results were coming in, pollsters were confused because they were assigning delegates in a way they didn't think was right. So... It might actually be that they fucked up the count in Bernie's favor there. Had the situation been reversed people would be pissed that they were counted wrong.

Which leads us back to the point: caucuses are a clusterfuck that deserve to be burned to the ground.

I mean if it was reversed it would be a terrible move by Bernie to try and get a small sde win by a technicality at the expanse minorities.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
i mean if they were weighted incorrectly to begin with that's probably the correct thing to do? or do we not care about the IDP making a mistake when it's beneficial to bernie, lol. just take the popular vote win/delegate tie and call it a win and forget about the SDEs.

The problem isn't they didn't follow the rules, as they aren't clear. The problem is the rules have two interpretations. If the interpretation wasn't going to decide the contest, it wouldn't be an issue (at least as not as big of one).

Pausing with one satellite caucuses remaining, and then deciding which interpretation you're going to go with is basically a moratorium for them on who they think should win.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean if it was reversed it would be a terrible move by Bernie to try and get a small sde win by a technicality at the expanse minorities.
It would be political malpractice for him not to bring it up. Iowa exists as first to vote with a caucus at the expense of minorities in the first place.

Kay

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I would think how many national delegates you get would be the most important since that's what actually determines the nominee, but maybe that's crazy 🤷‍♂️
Iowa has 24 of the national delegates. To win in first round of the primary you need just under 2000. The only reason that Iowa matters at all is that it can be used as a poll going forward.

although i am now imagining the nightmare situation where Bernie loses the 1st round by 1 delegate

OP
OP
Poodlestrike

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Still nothing, huh?

Iowa.
Yeah, the optics are just terrible for the Iowa caucus.
Literally no part of this is good for the Iowa caucuses. Everything could be (and frankly I still think is) entirely above board and it'd still be a nigh-unprecedented trainwreck. This is very likely the last ever Iowa caucus.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why would it be political malpractice?
Choice A: Bitch and Win Nobody will remember the bitching in two weeks when they're looking at a map with the entire state in your colors.
Choice B: Maybe win or tie anyway...?

Again, Iowa as a representation of the nation going first with a caucus is already fucking minorities in the party. Using it as a barometer of popular opinion is already a fucking over of minorities.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Iowa's about momentum, and it looks like Bernie is getting it. Pete and Bernie are getting the same amount of delegates anyway.
Appears to me that Pete is getting the bigger bump in the most recent polls of NH I've seen?

Iowa has 24 of the national delegates. To win in first round of the primary you need just under 2000. The only reason that Iowa matters at all is that it can be used as a poll going forward.

although i am now imagining the nightmare situation where Bernie loses the 1st round by 1 delegate
Ok, but how can a first choice vote be considered the most important thing here? Final SDE is typically how the media calls a winner, not first choice, so that metric isn't gonna get a candidate meaningful traction in the media and national delegates aren't awarded on that vote either, ya?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here

@AndrewYang
It sure looks like Bernie won Iowa. Excited to compete for the win in New Hampshire on Tuesday!

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
Choice A: Bitch and Win Nobody will remember the bitching in two weeks when they're looking at a map in your colors.
Choice B: Maybe win or tie anyway...?

Again, Iowa as a representation of the nation going first with a caucus is already fucking minorities in the party. Using it as a barometer of popular opinion is already a fucking over of minorities.
Again that's not political malpractice. Political malpractice would be if the Iowa DP made that, not Bernie.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
It's kind of incredible the corner the IDP has backed themselves into now. They're going to have to make a choice to interpret their rules one way or another, and that interpretation is very likely going to decide who wins the most SDEs.

Whoever they now pick they're guaranteed themselves to generate an incredible amount of ill will, on top of their manifest incompetence in running the caucus in the first place, in an environment where people are questioning why they even get to go first at all given they're an extremely small, unrepresentative state.

The only hope they've really got is that the next few weeks, months and years are such a shit show that everybody forgets about this anyway, and by the time 2024/2028 rolls around it's all a distant memory.

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
No the IDP wrote the rules for this, and badly it would seem.
The DNC set up a committee that wrote up a bunch of recommendations for caucuses and superdelegates to appease the "concerns" of the Bernie camp: https://desmoinesregister.com/story...absentee-voting-public-vote-totals/934913001/

At the outset of the meeting on Friday, DNC Chairman Tom Perez called the caucus reforms "game-changing."

"Obviously we want to make sure that if you're a shift worker you can vote in a caucus," Perez said. "We want to make sure a member of the military or someone else who's been left out of the process — that you can vote, that you can make sure your franchise is exercised."

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Iowa is not gonna be this momentum creator.
But if it makes y'all feel better, New Hampshire is definitely gonna be the momentum creator, and Bernie Sanders is poised to win.

now, question, what is the conversation if Pete pulls the upset?

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
It's kind of incredible the corner the IDP has backed themselves into now. They're going to have to make a choice to interpret their rules one way or another, and that interpretation is very likely going to decide who wins the most SDEs.

Whoever they now pick they're guaranteed themselves to generate an incredible amount of ill will, on top of their manifest incompetence in running the caucus in the first place, in an environment where people are questioning why they even get to go first at all given they're an extremely small, unrepresentative state.

The only hope they've really got is that the next few weeks, months and years are such a shit show that everybody forgets about this anyway, and by the time 2024/2028 rolls around it's all a distant memory.
I don't know how anyone can take the SDEs seriously with this satellite nonsense, the coin flip nonsense, and all the other nonsense.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Iowa's about momentum, and it looks like Bernie is getting it. Pete and Bernie are getting the same amount of delegates anyway.

Iowa's never been about momentum. The winner of Iowa's Democratic caucus has had about a coin flip chance to win the nomination since they started doing them. On the Republican side, President Ted Cruz is sure to have his own input on how caucus momentum helped propel him to his party's nomination in 2016. The only thing Iowa is consistently good for is determining how many of Iowa's pledged delegates end up going to the candidate that Iowa's voters chose in their caucus.

The results of NH, on the other hand, are much more interesting from a momentum standpoint. In that case, Bernie is still the frontrunner (and will likely remain so), but I'd be a little concerned about Bernie's overall frontrunner status if Pete pulls off a surprise win there.

Last edited:

Kay

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
But if it makes y'all feel better, New Hampshire is definitely gonna be the momentum creator, and Bernie Sanders is poised to win.

If Pete pulls through in New Hampshire i'd say Brokered Convention happens and I promise you nobody wants that (except Bloomberg)

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

The conversation is then that the chance of a contested convention raises a ton. Probably better than 1/3rd chance (at around 1/4 chance already).

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
Pete should be kept 100 feet away from any government position.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
President AOC would get me so fucking pumped but I doubt she's winning an election at barely 35. Probably needs to be 40 minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.