• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who's Going to Win South Carolina?

• Joe Biden

Votes: 585 39.2%
  • Bernie Sanders

Votes: 853 57.2%
  • Elizabeth Warren

Votes: 24 1.6%
  • Pete Buttigieg

Votes: 7 0.5%
  • THE KLOBBERER

Votes: 16 1.1%
  • Tom Steyer

Votes: 6 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
Contrast to Bloomberg, who's committed to keeping his staff through the summer or the election (depends on the specific state) as he is running an anti-Trump campaign first and a presidential campaign second.
I keep forgetting Bloomberg is even around considering he's not a factor in the whole Iowa situation. Is he still just only focusing on specific states or something?

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I don't imagine any amount of information I present is going to get you to budge, but the simple fact is if we compare the list of Sanders positions to Clinton in 2016 and Biden in 2020, you could make a strong argument that Clinton was much closer to Sanders platform than several of the candidates this time around. I'd even argue at this point it's closer than everyone except Warren.

I will say this much: I do agree that for the commonality of the refrain of Clinton being a uniquely terrible nominee she was better than either Biden or Pete are now

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That graph also misrepresents Clinton's positions in a few ways--she was for keeping the ACA and expanding it, with things such as a public option. The minimum wage is currently what, $7.25? I think any increase over $10 will be a massive gain for the working class, and arguing between $12 and $15 isn't as big of a difference as you claim.
As someone who grew up West Virginia poor, you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

The difference in $240 a paycheck is massive when you're worrying about keeping the gas and lights on during the winter. How you're going to eat. Getting to and from work. Seeking medical attention, etc.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Biden would have a Surge if he kept to relating to people like he did last night at the town hall. THAT is the Biden everyone loves.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Man, 538 is seriously giving the Primary to Bernie now
Yeah and I think they updated the outlook graph for post-Iowa:

screenshot2020-02-06a3zkb8.png

Ashane

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
That graph also misrepresents Clinton's positions in a few ways--she was for keeping the ACA and expanding it, with things such as a public option. The minimum wage is currently what, $7.25? I think any increase over $10 will be a massive gain for the working class, and arguing between $12 and $15 isn't as big of a difference as you claim. The college debate is different approaches to the same thing--Sanders plan is undeniably more ambitious, but Clinton's plan for free community college and vocational training would likely have a similar effect for much cheaper. The Weed thing is a difference, but Sanders actually adapted the idea of rescheduling Marijuana from the Clinton campaign--it's on his Day 1 Executive Orders list. That basically just leaves us with "War" and Glass-Steagall, which was an actual difference through and through. I don't imagine any amount of information I present is going to get you to budge, but the simple fact is if we compare the list of Sanders positions to Clinton in 2016 and Biden in 2020, you could make a strong argument that Clinton was much closer to Sanders platform than several of the candidates this time around. I'd even argue at this point it's closer than everyone except Warren.

I'm not sure why we have a mega paragraph for something no one has ever argued? Is Clinton closer to Bernie's position than Biden? Yep, probably.

Was Clinton a ****FAR LEFT CANDIDATE****? Hell no, full stop. That's the only thing people have been commenting on in regards to 16 candidates.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Yang was made to look like an utter chump on The Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj.

digit_zero

Oct 27, 2017
i was told that rose twitter and the online leftists were a bubble but they just won Iowa so *shrugs*
I don't think being a prohibitive favorite in polling winning says anything about a bubble one way or another?

Wasnt really meant as a shot across the bowel or anything, just that polling/voting results matter a lot more than online engagement

Oct 30, 2017
Did you miss what we are replying to? That apparently in 2016 Hillary and Bernie were virtually identical candidates. That suddenly Hilary is a far left candidate and not a centrist?
I'm agreeing with you and that even if you list policies side by side, there's much more to candidates than that. HRC is not left wing.

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
As someone who grew up West Virginia poor, you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

The difference in $240 a paycheck is massive when you're worrying about keeping the gas and lights on during the winter. How you're going to eat. Getting to and from work. Seeking medical attention, etc.

As someone who grew up in Vermont poor, I think I have a solid understanding.

The point I'm making, is that criticizing someone for pursuing a quality of life improvement that is a 60% pay increase rather than a 105% pay increase, is missing the forest for the trees. If presented with both options, and both being possible, obviously the higher increase is better. But don't let great be the enemy of good. We're talking about going from $290 (pre-tax) a week for a 40 hr work week to $480 (pre-tax) a week. Yes, it's not $600 that a $15/hr rate would accomplish, but it's a massive improvement in the lives of working class families.

SolarPowered

Oct 28, 2017
Tom Perez needs to resign regardless of what else happens today. This guy is toxic to party unity. Someone give Howard Dean a call for the love of God.

This is gold, Jerry. Like gold, but infused with diamonds.

First it was Trump and now bloomberg. At this rate we'll get secret audio of a drunken Hillary post election begrudgingly admitting Bernie would have whooped Trump in 2016.
I decided to drive out to Iowa to get to the bottom of this, but you wouldn't believe what I found when I got there... nothing! Just a huge empty parking lot for miles and miles. I only saw one person: an old woman pushing a shopping cart full of corn. I had to practically beg her to talk to me.

I said "Miss, please, can you help me find Iowa?" Do you know what she said?

She said "Iowa? Why, there hasn't been any Iowa out here in over thirty years."

Just what kind of con are they running?? How deep does it go??
Damn, this was hilarious and I didn't know how badly I needed a laugh until just now.
Bernie would pick Steyer over blooms if he picked a billionaire as running mate.
Definitely, but Bernie would spend all four years still giving poor Steyer the cold shoulder.

whoever called Perez wanting the recount due to satellite SDEs, come collect your prize

Georgia governor Brian Kemp would be proud. Fuck those Ethiopian meat packers and hispanics.
can't wait for the debate tomorrow, Biden is probably going to have a huge meltdown
Guy better not pop a blood vessel or it's over. Is Bloomberg's attendance confirmed?

Wordballoons

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Buttigieg is like Warren in that he has a lot of detailed plans, but unlike Warren his plans all suck.
Wait ... jesus christ. Punishing people for not getting shitty health insurance. How is it that we keep coming up with policies that both fail to address the issue and then make things worse somehow. This reminds me of the recent California development to block zoning reform or whatever it was

Status
Not open for further replies.