• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who's Going to Win South Carolina?

• Joe Biden

Votes: 585 39.2%
  • Bernie Sanders

Votes: 853 57.2%
  • Elizabeth Warren

Votes: 24 1.6%
  • Pete Buttigieg

Votes: 7 0.5%
  • THE KLOBBERER

Votes: 16 1.1%
  • Tom Steyer

Votes: 6 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
I dont know much about politics and even less about american politics. Is Bernie Sanders actually good or just not-Trump?

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
Nate Cohn was confused at how they were calculating them too, so there might be a relation there.

A lot of the reported inconsistencies are based on questionable SDE calculations. Tom Perez is actually doing exactly what a lot of Sanders supporters on places like S4P have been asking for--calling for a recount to investigate the inconsistencies between vote totals and SDE's awarded.

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
the new polls hitting the 538 model have almost pushed Bernie to be the favorite in Alabama.

Model is probably overreacting to the initial data right now, but if he takes NH and keeps rolling...

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017

Andrew Yang's campaign fired dozens of staffers this week after an abysmal finish in the Iowa caucuses, according to four former staffers who were let go.

Among those dismissed were the national political and policy directors of the campaign, as well as the deputy national political director — all senior-level positions. The people who were fired worked across Yang's organization, from his headquarters in New York to the now-disbanded Iowa operation.

hopefully this means he's dropping out.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
So with all of the problems, the DNC only cares once Bernie starts winning based on strong satellite caucuses? The ones where minorities actually voted?

I just got off a big ol' tweet thread about it but I don't know that I buy the party really hates Sanders but they sure don't like the actual American people.

I think if you look at it from the idea that the satellite caucus results don't require a strong focus because the people there are disabled and good luck getting them to turn out on election day you miss the structural oppression forest for the electoral vote trees. And then it becomes a self-reinforcing behavior. Don't put investment into a ground game focused on the disabled, don't put focus on a campaign where disability rights issues matter. None of that is worth doing because they won't vote. You can see this in the way NYT reported the results, that they did not actually expect the satellite caucus numbers to be so strongly in support of Sanders (they shouldn't have, but that's what happens when you write these groups off as a lost cause).

If this sounds ghoulish I'd like to remind you that people on this forum regularly decry the legitimacy of polling of the youth vote. While the youth vote in the broadest sense doesn't have all the same structural issues disabled groups do, is the apparent lack of turnout just a youth thing, or is this built up by structural issues making youth participation in the vote harder (i.e., poverty, isolation)? Easy to see the ways in which the bean counters in their goal of optimizing the result numbers are sacrificing anything resembling a coherent policy position in these terms, isn't it??

madstarr12

Jan 25, 2018
That's one poll. He's up by 9 in the aggregate.
The recent Suffolk university poll has Pete go from 15% to 19% . Bernie 24% to 25%.

All I'm trying to note is that he doesn't have a huge lead and his win isnt guaranteed. He has the best chance to win NH for sure right now tho, but the IA polls underestimated Pete's support.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I dont know much about politics and even less about american politics. Is Bernie Sanders actually good or just not-Trump?

he's a career politician who helped shape america's mass incarceration practices, expanded the president's power to unilaterally do acts of war, and has a close working relationship with hillary clinton and joe biden. he has incredibly good branding though.

shamanick

Oct 29, 2017
The recent Suffolk university poll has Pete go from 15% to 19% . Bernie 24% to 25%.

All I'm trying to note is that he doesn't have a huge lead and his win isnt guaranteed. He has the best chance to win NH for sure right now tho, but the IA polls underestimated Pete's support.
you're absolutely right, it remains to be seen how voters who changed their mind after Iowa split

however, NH doesn't have realignment after the first vote, which was a massive boost to Pete

as always, no matter who you support, fight like you're ten points behind

Deleted member 18360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Y'all should have been more suspicious days ago but better late than never I guess.

And on the question of whether it's intentional or just astounding incompetence, it's sort of irrelevant as this degree of incompetence is functionally the same thing as active sabotage, but in any case I think it's probably safe to provisionally assume that it's both, unless there's someone out here legitimately still wanting to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
got to hand it to sanders's campaign for seeing the opportunityy of gaining a lot in the satellite caucuses. i feel like that kind of campaigning intuition would be a great asset in the general election against gop rat fuckers

also, it's interesting how people keep telling me that sanders doesn't care about minorities, yet his seems to be the only campaign that made a great effort in driving turnout in satellite caucuses where minorities dominate

seems like people aren't giving sanders enough credit

oh and there should also be credit given to mayor pete for managing to come out of nowhere all the way to a virtual tie

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
At the end of the day Buttigieg had a strong showing and is a strong contender in this state with a very specific demographic make-up and a particular voting system. No one can deny that at this point. He was strong.

But since people care about the finish line for Iowa I think a result needs to be called by the party, even if provisional

Thanks

I'm not sure it matters if they call it anymore. The polls are out and both Pete and Bernie got a bump from Iowa. If they call it for Bernie maybe he gets another point on a state he's favored to win? It was close enough that you can look at the data and feel like both candidates were strong enough to warrant a bump.

I do wonder where this leaves someone like Biden though. Obviously he's playing for super Tuesday but if the moderates abandoned him in Iowa, who's to say they won't do the same everywhere else?

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
got to hand it to sanders's campaign for seeing the opportunityy of gaining a lot in the satellite caucuses. i feel like that kind of campaigning intuition would be a great asset in the general election against gop rat fuckers

also, it's interesting how people keep telling me that sanders doesn't care about minorities, yet his seems to be the only campaign that made a great effort in driving turnout in satellite caucuses where minorities dominate

seems like people aren't giving sanders enough credit

oh and there should also be credit given to mayor pete for managing to come out of nowhere all the way to a virtual tie

Sanders Campaign specifically advocated/pushed for caucuses in minority areas and he hadby far the most minority support. They're also heads and shoulders above every other campaign when it comes to bilingualism and abelism.

Sanders is fantastic and provides by far the most progressive platform of any candidate, no one comes close.

Deleted member 6122

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
he's a career politician who helped shape america's mass incarceration practices, expanded the president's power to unilaterally do acts of war, and has a close working relationship with hillary clinton and joe biden. he has incredibly good branding though.
"bad faith" doesn't even begin to describe this. I'd probably use the term "rat mode"

Seattle6418

Oct 25, 2017
Brasília Brazil
I mean guys, it really isn't conspiratorial at this point. So with all of the problems, the DNC only cares once Bernie starts winning based on strong satellite caucuses? The ones where minorities actually voted?

Fuck off Perez.

Fuck off DNC.

Yes people go crazy with conspiracies, but the DNC enables it with their shady, biased behavior. That isn't an unreasonable take at all.

Well said, it's fact after fact, there's no need for conspiracy theories when you have those folks running the show.

The funny thing is that all this fuckery plays into Bernie's strengths. People watch this fucked system operate, and when Bernie goes 'I want to unfuck this system' it's going to be hard to disagree.

Would be nice to set some sort of donations record today. There's a possibility i think.

A lot of the reported inconsistencies are based on questionable SDE calculations. Tom Perez is actually doing exactly what a lot of Sanders supporters on places like S4P have been asking for--calling for a recount to investigate the inconsistencies between vote totals and SDE's awarded.

Dude, come on! Are you not following this closely?

They can do as many recounts as they want, this is fine, but the timing of this shows Perez looking like the little kid losing the game and then taking away the ball so that he doesn't lose.

They have to report everything before they can do a recount, that's just common sense. Considering the number of mistakes i saw on Twitter, Bernie might increase his lead in the upcoming recount.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I keep hearing how satellite caucuses are counted differently. How is this done? I have learned no details about it unfortunately.

Rodderick

Oct 25, 2017
Shouldn't people that spent two days talking about how the app was a conspiracy against Bernie be thrilled about a recanvass?

Draper

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Harrisburg, PA
I mean, it's 100% clear that the "enough is enough" line, while obviously a very poor choice of words considering the context, was directed towards the whole clusterfuck that has been the Iowa caucus in general.

So enough is enough means, let's do the whole cluster fuck again?

He's screaming of a fucked system while in fact being the fucked system.

Status
Not open for further replies.