• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who's Going to Win South Carolina?

• Joe Biden

Votes: 585 39.2%
  • Bernie Sanders

Votes: 853 57.2%
  • Elizabeth Warren

Votes: 24 1.6%
  • Pete Buttigieg

Votes: 7 0.5%
  • THE KLOBBERER

Votes: 16 1.1%
  • Tom Steyer

Votes: 6 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

i_am_ben

Oct 27, 2017
interesting to me especially since both camps can fairly credibly make the claim that the demographics they underperform with will gladly turn out for them in the general. i havent personally brought up pete's black support largely because i do think they'd mostly turn out. Minority support isn't his biggest problem imo. its just that's he's broadly underperforming as is in every hypothetical matchup. Not to mention I'm finding out a ton of people don't even necessarily know he's gay? I can't see his numbers going up when that becomes more common knowledge.

sorry haven't you heard? It's the year of the rat.

hoping Pete brings Iowa home.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
YANG GANG BANG BANG
JbYLwAa.jpg

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
not gonna lie, I thought this was funny.

EP9OZBwXkAI9PlI

and just to be fair to Pete's fans, this is also funny.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Let's do a "personal pros and cons"
Bold personal.

PROS:
Bernie: he's right on almost everything he talks about. Income inequality is a huge problem in this country.

Bloomberg: he has unlimited funds, so, he isn't beholden to outside financiers.

Biden: he has experience and broad popular favorability.

Buttigieg: he is a smart dude and I feel like he'd run an efficient administration.

Klobuchar: she seems popular in those states we definitely need, Wisconsin Michigan and Pennsylvania.

Warren: she knows the financial system in and out. She gets it. She understands the problem is that these companies put profit over ethics and she as a CIVILIAN basically created an entire arm of the government to help out consumers going up against huge corporations.

Yang: I am writing this message on my iPhone. I feel like he's the only candidate from the mentioned above that even understands what the internet is and where technology is taking us.

CONS:
Bernie: His online supporters are toxic as fuck. his in real life campaign team is problematic. Seems to have a huge "only me" thing going on.

Bloomberg: hes the 9th richest person in this country and if he actually cared about this nation there are $55,000,000,000 other ways he could help besides running for president.

Biden: Bernie is old, Bloomberg is old, Trump is old, but FUCK BIDEN IS OLD AS FUCK. He just doesn't feel like he's there.

Buttigieg: Dude wants it too much. Kinda scary.

Klobuchar: everyone talks about Buttigiegs minority support, but I feel like KLOB is probably lower in this. Wayyyy too much of a Midwesterner. Lame jokes too.

Warren: she might be 70 years old, but she's still green on this politics shit. I don't think she's played all her cards well, and she reeks of "gullible".

Yang: literally zero experience. A ducking joke candidate.

I actually agree with... nearly everything you said. But I'll play this game!

Pros:
  • Bernie: Solid and clear voice on foreign policy, climate change, and income inequality.
  • Bloomberg: Limitless pockets of money to run anti-Trump attack ads while not actually being competitive for the nomination?
  • Biden: 100% confident that Biden would, based on his experience and network, quickly restore institutions in the federal government to a position of trust and effectiveness.
  • Buttigieg: He's basically Macron. I also think that he'd work to restore institutional trust. Finally, I think his time while deployed exposed him to both the importance of alliances and potential peacekeeping operations under a UN mandate, while also guarding against adventurism.
  • Klob: Popular in the Midwest. Institutional experience. I think she's Most Likely to Run a Gaffe-Free Presidency (Except For Lame Jokes).
  • Warren: She's got policies and backup research data for literally everything, and I agree with pretty much everything she's running on.
  • Yang: The UBI discussion's important.
Cons:
  • Bernie: I don't trust, for a minute, anyone Bernie would appoint on his behalf. I don't mean judges. I mean I want him to actually make an informed, safe pick to run something like the Office of Personnel Management, and I don't believe he'd do that. And a non-trivial portion of his online supporters are toxic.
  • Bloomberg: I don't take him seriously enough as a candidate to actually enumerate cons.
  • Biden: Reaching across the aisle is dead, and while I understand saying things for political reasons, I think Biden actually believes it.
  • Buttigieg: Not viable because of < 0% minority support; lack of experience. I want the POTUS to represent more than a given subset of the population. I still rep Pete as VA Secretary or something
  • Klob: She actually doesn't HAVE any cons, but she doesn't really have any pros, either. On paper, she's honestly a solid candidate and could get the job done while inspiring absolutely zero excitement: the Side Salad of Candidates.
  • Warren: I seriously question her political acumen.
  • Yang: Simply not viable. Great Special Assistant to the President on Technology Transformation.
Anyway, that's where I stand.

Oct 25, 2017
I think that track record kinda outweighs any "fierce compassion," considering it involved directly undermining the Obama administration's attempts to de-escalate the Israeli/Palestinian conflict, which he considered "crucifying himself on a small cross."

If Biden is a changed man, I'll need more than that.
Heh—I knew one of these (admittedly several) examples was coming.

I often don't know how to grapple with these thoughts. There will never, ever be a president who does a perfect run on foreign policy and mitigates all preventable loss of life. It's virtually guaranteed that every president has and will have blood on their hands—whether directly or indirectly—due to military action or inaction they take, the amount of funding they direct to some nations but not others, the arms deals that even when justified always result in some amount of weapons in the wrong hands, the trade decisions that could make or break random people's lives depending on their location and profession, and on and on and on. The near-infinite amount of spiraling ramifications a president causes no matter which action they do or don't take is too complex for me to even wrap my head around.

Some of these actions are far more egregious and shameless than others, of course, but I don't know how to completely write-off a candidate based strictly on whether or not they've ever done anything that resulted in casualties (or if, like most candidates, they've not been close to the white house before but would ultimately end up responsible for needless death in one way or another regardless).

Funny, because I absolutely have no problem writing off individuals for crimes that happen on a personal scale. Murder one person? Rape one person? I wish nothing but misery and eternal damnation for you.

But a president who can and will be responsible for preventable deaths somehow, somewhere just seems like such an inevitable reality that it's going to happen even if there's no malice or malfeasance. Politics already makes me miserable enough as it is, so if I start viewing every viable democratic candidate through the lens of the biggest mistakes they've made, I don't quite think my mind could take it. I recognize there's a degree of incongruity in my thought patterns here—being so readily able to run an individual transgression through my mental perspective of justice but not a decision that could cause far greater destruction than any interpersonal crime ever could—but I don't know how to rectify it.

Granted, everyone's breaking point is different. I have my own lines, obviously, and I would turn on any candidate if they crossed them. But that's going to be different for each person, based on issues they're close to and the causes they're passionate about.

I readily admit I don't keep up with the nitty gritty of middle eastern conflicts. Not at all because those issues aren't important, but because I have no direct link to anything regarding Israel or Palestine. And though a direct link isn't required to be involved in an issue, horrendous violence and mass tragedy occur everywhere across the world on a daily basis. I'm just as likely to be angry over Netenyahu's war crimes as I am about a random African warlord's. Sustained and focused rage can justifiable be focused in those directions, but there's only so much caring any one human is capable of, and the injustices that get me riled up lie elsewhere.

Don't interpret any of this as a defense of Joe Biden specifically, either. He's easily my least favorite candidate in the race (unless Delaney is still running... is he?), and I'll be crushingly disappointed if he's the nominee. It just seems inescapable that (again, completely reasonable) metrics of judgement like the one you brought up could ultimately be applied to any potential president throughout the rest of time.

Oct 27, 2017
If Bernie wins Super Tuesday they'll say it was a fluke.
If Bernie wins the nomination they say he'll lose in the GE.
If Bernie wins the GE they say he'll get nothing done as president.
If Bernie gets stuff done as president they'll say none of his achievements will stick.

I'm not worried about Biden, Buttigeig, or even Trump. I'm worried about the Democrats that won't support him once he's in the WH. And I'm worried about the crazies out there that wouldn't allow us to have a Jewish president. I absolutely think there would be multiple attempts at his life if he were ever inaugurated.

But despite all that President Sanders NEEDS to happen and fuck everybody trying to get in the way of that.

Sanders would be fine as president. The republicans bitched and moaned about Obama for 8 years because of racism and xenophobic conspiracy theories, but he was never harmed. With Sanders they will have their antisemitic rants and make up their conspiracy theories about america becoming a communist stronghold, but nobody outside of the bigot fantasy land they live in will care.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I saw this on Twitter but I did not see it covered at all by the media. Is it fake news?

It's a total fabrication that was promoted by right wing trump accounts to sew discord in the Democratic primary. Predictably a bunch took the bait willingly and spread the rumors. Widely dispelled in the Iowa thread.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
If we can't use the internet's most common shorthand for Pete, can we at least get creative? Cluny the Scourge, stealer of enchanted tapestries?

Oct 25, 2017
If we can't use the internet's most common shorthand for Pete, can we at least get creative? Cluny the Scourge, stealer of enchanted tapestries?
If you want to call him a rat, but all means, continue. Just realize a lot of us will immediately peg you as a terrible human being.
??? A lot of voters have reservations about both Sanders and Warren's electability in the general, a strong Sanders win in Iowa would encourage people to vote progressive rather than hedging their bets with Biden or Master Splinter.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you want to call him a rat, but all means, continue. Just realize a lot of us will immediately peg you as a terrible human being.
Oh, please. These people are running to be the most powerful figure in the western world and will deliver policies that will impact hundreds of millions of people. It's alright to call a candidate an innocuous pejorative if you don't like them. Don't be this guy.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, please. These people are running to be the most powerful figure in the western world and will deliver policies that will impact hundreds of millions of people. It's alright to call a candidate an innocuous pejorative if you don't like them. Don't be this guy.
Like I said, feel free to call anyone an animal however you, just know it's a still a terrible look and a lazy invective. Go to town, just don't expect good results.

Status
Not open for further replies.