• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who's Going to Win South Carolina?

• Joe Biden

Votes: 585 39.2%
  • Bernie Sanders

Votes: 853 57.2%
  • Elizabeth Warren

Votes: 24 1.6%
  • Pete Buttigieg

Votes: 7 0.5%
  • THE KLOBBERER

Votes: 16 1.1%
  • Tom Steyer

Votes: 6 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prodigal Son

Oct 27, 2017
one thing that im nervous about seeing in NH is whether Sanders outperforms polling there. In 2016 he very often surpassed his poll numbers, including in Iowa. This time around he sort of underperformed where the average of polls expected him to be. If he doesn't overperform where the average of polls have him in an open primary in New hampshire then im a little worried

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
Pete had an insane ground game in Iowa, with way more offices and staff than anyone else. Iowa is by far his best state and his numbers will fall in other states
He min-maxed Iowa I guess in the hopes that a positive result there would lead to increases in other states he didn't spend the resources in. As a Bernie supporter, Pete taking some luster off of Biden was probably the second best scenario to Bernie winning both popular vote and delegates.
Man, the lack of Nevada polls has really stood out as of late. We're getting swamped with NH polls, but Nevada has been this tantalizing black box hardly anyone has been paying attention to.

It'll be interesting to see what happens regarding black Texas voters. I've always considered Texas it's own separate entity compared to the rest of the south, so Bernie might have some room to grow there. Before I thought it was somewhat improbably for Bernie to pick it up even after winning the first three contests and improving his numbers with black people, but a strong showing for Pete might drain Biden of that necessary white boomer vote and open that window of opportunity just enough to squeak by in the PV and delegate count.

He basically went all in on Iowa. Dude was practically living there for a few weeks and it was necessary. Third place or worse and his fundraising apparatus would probably dry up quickly. Even Joe is experiencing this right now and he is the big fish.
Apparently Buttigieg had serious ground game in Iowa. I did not expect Biden to be so far behind. I'm glad that Sanders did well though.
Thanks!

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
it's making the rounds on Twitter so I can't source it, sorry. Feel free to disregard but I'm pretty sure it's not a fake
That's the first round vote. This is where things actually are:

U8OBcwM.png

Final alignment of the popular vote is still a Bernie lead, but an incredibly slim one.

Oct 25, 2017
it's making the rounds on Twitter so I can't source it, sorry. Feel free to disregard but I'm pretty sure it's not a fake

It is fake. People are presenting pre-alignment results without context to advance the "Sanders was robbed!" narrative, while glancing over Sanders' fail at getting 2nd choice picks after alignment, and also generally just neglecting the spots where he himself failed to be viable.

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
one thing that im nervous about seeing in NH is whether Sanders outperforms polling there. In 2016 he very often surpassed his poll numbers, including in Iowa. This time around he sort of underperformed where the average of polls expected him to be. If he doesn't overperform where the average of polls have him in an open primary in New hampshire then im a little worried

Bernie is still the frontrunner. Buttigeg has no real shot at this with his history during his mayoral tenure. He also performed a full progressive->moderate switch in a manner of weeks a few months ago, so he wont get Warren's endorsement either, unless something truly weird happens. Between Bloomberg, Biden and Buttigeg, this will be a battle of egos while Bernie keeps gaining momentum overall.

shamanick

Oct 29, 2017
I posted what I thought was new news, as the % count was up. If I had the final and delegate totals I would have posted that as well. Sorry if anyone's feelings got hurt

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The real question of whether or not Pete was right to go all in on Iowa is how his donations have been since the news broke. Especially if some deep pockets are having second thoughts about Biden.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I posted what I thought was new news, as the % count was up. If I had the final and delegate totals I would have posted that as well. Sorry if anyone's feelings got hurt
It wasn't the actual popular vote. That would be like posting a ranked choice result before collapsing second choices. The image I showed is also up to date.

Prodigal Son

Oct 27, 2017
Bernie is still the frontrunner. Buttigeg has no real shot at this with his history during his mayoral tenure. He also performed a full progressive->moderate switch in a manner of weeks a few months ago, so he wont get Warren's endorsement either, unless something truly weird happens. Between Bloomberg, Biden and Buttigeg, this will be a battle of egos while Bernie keeps gaining momentum overall.
thats the hope. for the record i also dont think buttigieg has anything resembling a chance. this has been a bernie-biden fight for months now

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If you really want to get pedantic about it, it was the first popular vote
I'm glad we agree that pushing the first popular vote as meaning something in a system that allows transferable votes is pedantic. Bernie is in the lead in the actual popular vote, just not by that margin.

Jun 20, 2019
So a plurality of caucus-goers went into the caucus intending to select Bernie and a plurality of caucus-goers walked out of the caucus selecting Bernie.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
New story I'm telling myself: Pete has no real chance nationally right? He's polling at like 10%. Enough of Biden's supporters will leave him after the poor showing in Iowa that Bernie can rise above both the centrists.

Oct 25, 2017
no one said otherwise, thanks for calling me a liar though

You posted stuff you didn't take and didn't understand and used it is a launching point for a dig about media narratives. That's lazy enough to be considered dishonest, IMO.

New story I'm telling myself: Pete has no real chance nationally right? He's polling at like 10%. Enough of Biden's supporters will leave him after the poor showing in Iowa that Bernie can rise above both the centrists.

The entire argument for why Iowa matters depends on it being a launching point to grow from for lesser-known candidates. Him winning isn't likely, but he did the bare minimum to have it at least remain possible.

Iowa's initial claim to fame is Carter going from nobody to the nom after a win in the 20-30% range.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Geez, Bernie is ahead of Pete by more votes even than Pete is ahead of Warren but he doesn't get the most delegates, wtf :/

This also only covers the first alignment results (which look far better for Bernie than the second ones, where he still wins in overall votes, but by a very slim margin). Lies through omission are still lies.

That being said, the margins are close enough that both of them will essentially get the same number of delegates. I guess that Pete can claim a 'win' in that he outperformed expectations, but I don't think that will translate to him dominating the field in future states.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Massive incompetence or fuckery? Does it matter at this point? Democrats look shitty here no matter what. If they counted votes this slow in a general we would have to wait over a year after the NEXT election to get results.
Uh...states could count their votes at the same time, you know. Do you remember 2004?

Rodderick

Oct 25, 2017
I understand not liking Pete, but if nominated he'd run on the most progressive platform of any Democrat in memory. The hyperbolic statements of doom surrounding him are very strange, and so is the fact that a gay young man winning a caucus in a rural state is going mostly unnoticed.

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary

1) Except Bernie Sanders literally said weeks ago that Hillary did win the popular vote, so why would he think that women cant be president?
2) Except Bernie fans more proportionally voted for Hillary than Hillary fans did to Obama
3) Except that now that you are supposedly trolling Bernie fans, lets turn this around: NOW suddenly the popular vote does not matter?

Jun 20, 2019
I personally never really heard leftists claim that the popular vote in 2016 was unimportant. Leftists that I know who are interested in electoral politics strongly dislike the electoral college.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
3) Except that now that you are supposedly trolling Bernie fans, lets turn this around: NOW suddenly the popular vote does not matter?

that's not what that meme is mocking, it's mocking bernie supporters who were making hay about how clinton winning the popular vote but losing the electoral college was a clear rejection of her evil neoliberal shrill shillness are now talking up bernie winning the popular vote as if it actually matters in some way. it's just a cute + fun way of making fun of how hypocritical some folks can be.

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
Honestly almost everyone here, left and center, more or less agrees that elections should just be based on the popular vote and caucuses, especially after this one, are insanely archaic and should be abolished. It's just an attempt to pick a fight.

Jun 20, 2019
that's not what that meme is mocking, it's mocking bernie supporters who were making hay about how clinton winning the popular vote but losing the electoral college was a clear rejection of her evil neoliberal shrill shillness are now talking up bernie winning the popular vote as if it actually matters in some way. it's just a cute + fun way of making fun of how hypocritical some folks can be.
Who are these people?

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
Who are these people?

Almost no one. Again, this is just an attempt to bait leftists - anyone who makes fun of Hillary's loss usually does so by saying it's an indictment of her ridiculously bad campaigning skills and her campaign's obsession with ~the algorithm~ that saw them attempting to win places like Arizona and Georgia instead of almost ever setting foot in Michigan or Wisconsin. Not that she shouldn't have been declared the winner, regardless.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What makes you think that?
if the choice at the end would be bernie or biden (or buttigieg), i just feel she would have more to gain personally to side with the establishment. she's never becoming the president at that point, so throwing bernie under the bus to become the moderate darling seems the likelier alternative.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
if the choice at the end would be bernie or biden (or buttigieg), i just feel she would have more to gain personally to side with the establishment. she's never becoming the president at that point, so throwing bernie under the bus to become the moderate darling seems the likelier alternative.
So you know nothing about her
Got it

Status
Not open for further replies.