• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who's Going to Win South Carolina?

• Joe Biden

Votes: 585 39.2%
  • Bernie Sanders

Votes: 853 57.2%
  • Elizabeth Warren

Votes: 24 1.6%
  • Pete Buttigieg

Votes: 7 0.5%
  • THE KLOBBERER

Votes: 16 1.1%
  • Tom Steyer

Votes: 6 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Perpetuating Harmful Stereotypes Surrounding Race

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
Buttigieg won?!?!?
I officially do not understand anything about USA politics anymore, seems like a dice roll.

First - Don't try to understand US politics by reading ResetEra
Second - We're only working with 62% of the data so we don't really know who won definitively yet but do know who did pretty well and who did pretty bad

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You mean 38%.

It's already been stated, but the last 38% is from districts unlikely to favor Bernie, more Boomer focused areas.

Sorry if this has been answered, but I have two questions on that front:
1) How much overlap, in terms of which precinct data was released, is there between the Sanders campaign's numbers and the latest numbers?
2) Within the overlapping precincts, is there a big discrepancy between the numbers released by the Sanders campaign and those released by the DNC released?

I just can't wrap my head around the big discrepancy between what Sanders released and what the DNC released, given that they both have the same %age of precincts released so far.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
Ok I genuinely don't understand: Do y'all think the full results aren't going to be reported and that literally no one is going to notice?
The full results are gonna be reported but I think it'll be similar to how a correction to a story often gets far less attention than the originally incorrect story gets. Especially with SOTU/impeachment looming.

At the end of the day I don't think these Iowa results are gonna matter too much (as far as Buttigieg or Bernie winning goes) but I think the way the Iowa Democratic Party is handling the release is pretty irresponsible.

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
Reminder that the Warren campaign thought only final results should be released.

Buttigieg and Sanders campaign were fine with partial.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Ok I genuinely don't understand: Do y'all think the full results aren't going to be reported and that literally no one is going to notice?

I think we'll see them by Friday at this rate, and even if the results change, the media will just go "Oh. How about that," after Pete is given a weird victory lap before attention shifts to NH.

thePopaShots

Nov 27, 2017
Half of Polk and Scott County have been counted. Bernie was doing very well in the precincts I was watching in the city of Davenport, and Polk is Des Moines. So who knows? My guess is that Bernie runs up the popular vote and Buttigieg loses a little ground in delegates. The story will probably be more about Biden than anything else, but I don't see a big bounce for anyone.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Will all of the "this is clearly a plot to make Pete look like the winner" people be checking back when we get the final results and they're pretty much the same? (Or maybe have Pete taking the final vote totals, too?)

It's mild-to-moderately irresponsible to be releasing partial numbers like this so far in advance, but if you look at where the numbers are coming from, it seems like a pretty even cut from across the state. Do people even bother looking at the results before making conclusions? (I know the answer.)

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
You're right this is totally normal and not suspicious at all. Not like there was a recent unreleased poll that creates a bit of a trend or anything.

Is it just me or is a scenario where boomers running a state political party buy some dog shit app, do zero testing or user training, and then have it fail spectacularly not suspicious in the least?

Oct 25, 2017
At the end of the day I don't think these Iowa results are gonna matter too much but I think the way the Iowa Democratic Party is handling the release is pretty irresponsible.
Agreed 100%, Pete has no chance of winning over the majority of democrat's in the rest of the country. Iowa as a representation of Democrats is dumb anyways, so are caucuses.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
The full results are gonna be reported but I think it'll be similar to how a correction to a story often gets far less attention than the originally incorrect story gets. Especially with SOTU/impeachment looming.

it's part of the ongoing story of the primary election, which lasts for like four months with news outlets reiterating delegate counts daily.

Tiger Priest

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
New York, NY
Buttigieg won?!?!?
I officially do not understand anything about USA politics anymore, seems like a dice roll.

He's young, smart, new, not too extreme, and is the best speaker of the bunch. Americans also worship Ivy League education (see every single president since the first Bush)

Unfortunately for him, even if this result holds, he's unlikely to get a huge bump from this. Bloomberg was the only winner last night sadly.

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
People need to chill out with the conspiracy theories. It's the DNC's fault, it's rigged, Clinton did this, Pete iz bad, etc. Let's see the results and move on from there.

Deleted member 58401

Banned
Jul 7, 2019
Even if this stays the result, it's not the worst result we could ever get. Bernie and Pete both say they won. Okay. Biden is the story for falling so far, and last we knew, he was basically broke. Yang disappears, Klob is sort of there? Bloomberg is pissed that Pete stole his moderate, counter-Biden thunder.

Oct 27, 2017
Releasing the partial results allows Pete to be the winner of Iowa and everything that entails. He'll get positive press coverage, name recognition, and his reputation will improve as the temporary winner. Based on today's news cycle I am certain more people know who Pete Buttigieg is than ever before and this is going to benefit him nationally. If Pete is still the winner when the final results come out then it won't matter. But if somebody else wins they, Buttigieg will have seen all the public benefit to the win without actually winning and the actual winner will likely get nothing. They will be a footnote at the end of Pete's media buzz. I would be very surprised if the eventual winner gets even a fraction of the coverage Pete has gotten.

Unless the turnaround is real quick I don't think it matters anymore who actually wins. Pete won Iowa now. Iowa was always about the narrative more than the numbers. The narrative is set.
This is a great take and totally correct I think.

On to New Hampshire

Deleted member 18360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it just me or is a scenario where boomers running a state political party buy some dog shit app, do zero testing or user training, and then have it fail spectacularly not suspicious in the least?

They supposedly have a paper record or more thorough records than ever and yet they're launching vague internal inquiries and giving no indication on when that final (correction) 38% will be released. If all of that is true you'd have to intentionally fuck up to not release things on a reasonable timeline. Thus it reads far more like intent imo.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
That's not the reason why he has like 0% of the black vote.

I would actually put money on a bet that if you took a poll of random people and asked them to write one fact they know about Pete, that they would put "he's gay". I can't imagine 100% of black voters know enough about him to know how he did as mayor in Indiana. Hell I live like 2 hours from where he was mayor and I would have to do some major research.

Feb 10, 2018
Jeez in 20 god dam 20, America(and other countries) take ages to count some votes. Makes me angry that they are so shit at doing this.
If military uses computers which are secure then so can electoral voting systems.

Catdaddy

Oct 27, 2017
TN
Wouldn't surprise me if Iowa loses being the first starting in 2024... and lets be honest its not a state that represents a cross section of the country - 92% white and rural... See how Nevada does in a couple of weeks with the same shitty 'app'.

Oct 25, 2017
They supposedly have a paper record or more thorough records than ever and yet they're launching vague internal inquiries and giving no indication on when that final (correction) 38% will be released. If all of that is true you'd have to intentionally fuck up to not release things on a reasonable timeline. Thus it reads far more like intent imo.
Wasn't the paper trail new this year? If so...thats good.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if this has been answered, but I have two questions on that front:
1) How much overlap, in terms of which precinct data was released, is there between the Sanders campaign's numbers and the latest numbers?
2) Within the overlapping precincts, is there a big discrepancy between what the Sanders campaign released and what the DNC released?
Too early to tell that.

That 62% is missing the vote from oh... the biggest city in the state.

Why is that even suprising? Iowa's population is almost entirely in its cities.
iowa-map-population-by-county.jpg

You're basically doing this meme:
heatmap_2x.png

Joker Code

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
Best news so far is that Biden is 4th. Bernie is in a great position to win New Hampshire, Nevada and getting close in South Carolina. I think he has a great chance to win the nomination.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017

That 62% is missing the vote from oh... the biggest city in the state.

so this chart doesn't really demonstrate anything... if the 62% we got in was fairly distributed around the state, the "remaining" precincts will still be clustered in populated areas because there are more precincts there. it does not show that there is a proportionally greater vote missing from the cities.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
I would actually put money on a bet that if you took a poll of random people and asked them to write one fact they know about Pete, that they would put "he's gay". I can't imagine 100% of black voters know enough about him to know how he did as mayor in Indiana. Hell I live like 2 hours from where he was mayor and I would have to do some major research.
So you're saying that the reason he's polling at 0% is because he's gay?

CobaltBlu

Nov 29, 2017
I think Iowa did a pretty bad job by releasing incomplete data here, but no matter who wins people should pay less attention to Iowa just because of its unrepresentativeness.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
He's young, smart, new, not too extreme, and is the best speaker of the bunch. Americans also worship Ivy League education (see every single president since the first Bush)

Unfortunately for him, even if this result holds, he's unlikely to get a huge bump from this. Bloomberg was the only winner last night sadly.

Weaknesses: record, authenticity, support among minorities.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
I'm glad that the Biden hype proved to be media-made, as many to the left of him were saying. Between the two, I'm way more comfortable voting for Mayor Pete. As much as I think it's a cop-out policy, Medicare for Some, Kinda is better than nothing. I am prepared to vote Buttigieg if I have to but to me, he's like the Marco Rubio of the Democratic field this time around. Super rehearsed, has one talking point for everything, can't really think on his feet too well in debates, and frankly, I think Trump will completely destroy him.

This whole process has been a complete fucking joke and it's super shifty that Buttigieg boasted an early victory before an app partially funded by Buttigieg's CAMPAIGN got bungled. It's probably nothing but why the fuck can't these people just keep their money out of it? The DNC must've known they'd use this app to tally the votes and the optics of this are so poor.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
But, in both cases, the details (i.e. which precincts, and the numbers within those precincts) have been released, right? Hasn't anyone tried to compare the two?

I can't find Sanders's released numbers anymore.
It was released minutes ago. I'm not entirely sure that Sanders' released precinct by precinct data rather than the aggregate.

Status
Not open for further replies.