• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who's Going to Win South Carolina?

• Joe Biden

Votes: 585 39.2%
  • Bernie Sanders

Votes: 853 57.2%
  • Elizabeth Warren

Votes: 24 1.6%
  • Pete Buttigieg

Votes: 7 0.5%
  • THE KLOBBERER

Votes: 16 1.1%
  • Tom Steyer

Votes: 6 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
Just wait a few days and announce the full results. It's going to be overshadowed by the SOTU speech tonight anyways.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
Dumb to release partial numbers this late. They should have just released final results tomorrow.

cartographer

Oct 25, 2017
What is the benefit of releasing 62%? :\

It seems like they're reacting to the pressure of needing something to show. This doesn't seem like the best course of action at all. Not for the clarity of the data, not for the benefit of the candidates, and certainly not to people who are anxious for answers. I don't know who will be placated by this. It just seems bound to introduce more confusion to an already confusing and complicated situation.

I don't think it's smart either. It makes me wonder that there's too many discrepancies for them to ever make a big deal about the complete vote and I wonder if those will actually be released when something else is dominating the news in the near future to attempt to reduce blowback.

Oct 25, 2017
If Bernie wins the nomination he'd be the Democratic nominee, not the DSA nominee. So he and his team would need to pull their heads out of their asses and focus on beating Trump, not being ideologically pure.
Don't worry they'll just use the try and true "vote blue no matter who line" and every moderate will instantly fall in line with no misgivings what so ever.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They've released 62%. Butti won current numbers. Don't lose hope, though, because 38% precincts could easily flip the race.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
If Bernie picks a black man/woman as his VP, I feel it would help him make headway into not just minority communities, but also among "woke" libs who believe he's a racist for whatever inane reason. It would help him compete in the south in a BIG way, and build a coalition along class/racial lines rather than ideological lines. In other words, I think he could afford to have a VP who is less moderate if they are a minority, specifically black since Bernie already does very well with (non-Cuban) Hispanics. That's my hope.

Abrams builds the coalition, but is a bit closer to the center than I'd like.I also don't think she'd be on board. Pressley would be a great pick if she weren't so green.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Why does WaPo's graphic say "Total votes from 95% of precincts," when this announcement in Iowa says they'll release results from 62%+ of precincts?

EDIT - I guess WaPo's updating their stuff? says 62% now...

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
62% would be valuable if we were getting a live count. Now, a day late, just fucking wait until you have it all. The chaos if this sample doesn't end up being representative of the entire vote will be astounding.

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
Releasing 62% at this point is irresponsible, especially when it's this close between Pete and Bernie. They should've waited till they had 100%.

Deleted member 58401

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 7, 2019
Oh man Bernie is winning the popular vote but losing on delegates LOL
Holy shit. I didn't even know this was possible. Fuck you, Iowa, if this holds up. And I live here.

It would be an interesting twist if Buttigieg's campaign properly calculated the weights of the delegates they won and Bernie's didn't. I don't know how they'd be so off otherwise. If they are, in the end.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Do you think the campaigns want them releasing these numbers now? My guess is no
The campaigns wanted a result last night to activate funding sources. Sometimes it's not even 100% because a few precinct chairs go to bed if they can't report the results in successfully. It's happened often enough that it's not even unusual.

Now the media will attempt to turn partial results into a horse race, like they wanted to do last night, but its actually harder to do for a caucus when you have more, earlier info.

But showing strong first round interest numbers may make it easier for 3rd/4th place candidates to stay in the race for a few states longer.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
When they post a graphic would somebody mind posting it here? I'm not able to watch it live.
Here you go:

aBTArPk.png

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
They release this partial to say Pete really is winning. That's the only reason I have now. Just wait til it's done, there's no point in this partial from them.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So it looks like, at this point, delegate win for Pete, vote win for Bernie. But close enough that they may well flip either way by the end.

Ultimately that's a good result for both, though I'm sure Sanders was hoping for something more decisive.

Biden fighting with Klobuchar for fourth place is tragic though.

Status
Not open for further replies.