• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who's Going to Win South Carolina?

• Joe Biden

Votes: 585 39.2%
  • Bernie Sanders

Votes: 853 57.2%
  • Elizabeth Warren

Votes: 24 1.6%
  • Pete Buttigieg

Votes: 7 0.5%
  • THE KLOBBERER

Votes: 16 1.1%
  • Tom Steyer

Votes: 6 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I'll ask again as someone who isn't entirely familiar: What is the implication and importance of the results of the Iowa caucus going forward? How does it have any bearing on the rest of the primary? What does it tell us?

I was musing about this earlier. This might be helpful.

It will be interesting to see how, or even if, the results of the caucus matter at all after today.

Iowa is perceived as the first hurdle of the primary that makes or breaks candidates. It shapes and shifts the narrative surrounding the candidates. I know a lot of us here in particular were hoping Iowa would be the catalyst that thinned the herd a bit but this seems unlikely now.

Biden was the long-assumed predestined winner in the months leading up to the caucus. For months Biden remained really steady in his polling and beating him meant him somehow losing his footing as the most bankable, predictable candidate. But in the last month or so, Biden's numbers in Iowa slipped. Biden winning Iowa was important to maintain his stability as a candidate and Biden losing Iowa was important to crack the perception that he would coast to the nomination without difficulty.

Warren polled well alongside the other frontrunners for some time but started to lose a lot of steam leading up to Iowa. There's been lots of discussion about how long she should continue and whether she still stood a chance. People discussed where her base would go and who it would benefit. Warren went in to Iowa with people expecting she'd finish third or fourth. So Warren winning (or at least doing well) in Iowa was important to prove the longevity of her own campaign and Warren doing poorly in Iowa could be the tipping point for her ~15% base to finally split to other frontrunners, having a major impact on the race.

Pete Buttigieg isn't somebody currently taken very seriously on a national level. He has staked everything on Iowa. There isn't much to say about Pete's position in the race other than this. As arguably the candidate with the most to lose it makes sense he would be the most bullish about supposedly winning. Buttigieg winning Iowa was necessary to prove he should be taken seriously and Buttigieg losing Iowa would be the end of his campaign.

Bernie Sanders is pretty self explanatory here. He lost Iowa in 2016. He has long been considered an outside shot who would struggle to catch up to Biden's rock-solid "electability". Sanders winning Iowa would cement his campaign and re-establish his narrative as a frontrunner with momentum, especially since he has New Hampshire in the bag already. Sanders winning Iowa would likely energize his campaign and position him as a national frontrunner and Sanders losing Iowa would deflate his base and bring his "electability" in to question compared to safer choices like Joe Biden.

All of these people had a lot riding on Iowa and all of these narratives would have surfaced as the results came in and America was watching but... does anyone care now? The moment has passed. They've left their stages. Everyone is still campaigning and nobody has had to take immediate stock of where they stand before proceeding. Obviously the results will come today and these narratives will come up one way or another, but I feel like the impact of the results have been severely diminished now that the moment is gone.

If you asked me what difference 24 hours makes I wouldn't be able to tell you. But I went from feeling like this was an important barrier that would make or break multiple candidates to feeling like none of this mattered at all. Even if the results are the same today as they were tomorrow, the illusion is gone.

Iowa is treated like a big threshold that can make or break the momentum of candidacy. In the scheme of things Iowa means very little, but this early it can influence perspective a lot.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
the twitter discourse with inaccurate speculation and conspiracy fears drove me crazy last night. very frustrating when you know what's going on but know that no one is gonna listen.

Twitter is a cesspit of inflammatory rhetoric, personal attacks, and uninformed people pretending to be experts, even when it comes to, like... comic book movies. The fact there are people using it as a "valid" source for political news or current events or anything "real" is tragic.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
R4fRMrJ.png

lol
This is some Kingdom Hearts shit.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
I'll ask again as someone who isn't entirely familiar: What is the implication and importance of the results of the Iowa caucus going forward? How does it have any bearing on the rest of the primary? What does it tell us?
Not much in terms of delegate count. It's mostly about setting an early narrative and boosting morale.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Quoting myself from poliera:

We likely never had "accurate" numbers from an Iowa caucus. There were Iowa caucus problems in elections past. It's not a new or sudden thing. Really. Accuracy and integrity confirmation of the process was never really challenged until this year.
So...you're saying JEB!/Klobmentum happened last night right?

Mar 29, 2018
Twitter is a cesspit of inflammatory rhetoric, personal attacks, and uninformed people pretending to be experts, even when it comes to, like... comic book movies. The fact there are people using it as a "valid" source for political news or current events or anything "real" is tragic.
It also has a great number of verified experts and actual reporters doing great work exposing real news and meaningful content

But yes every source must be considered carefully, on every platform

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017

It can tell donors which candidates are viable and which aren't.

Donors generally don't throw good money after bad.

OP
OP
Poodlestrike

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
So, typically, the primary value of winning in Iowa is in the media narrative around winning in Iowa. It doesn't actually say much about the candidates appeal by itself. The stories can influence later voters and donors about who is and isn't viable.

This time, the media narrative around Iowa is is that the caucuses were a disaster. There's no winner so there's no momentum pieces or stories about surprise upsets or anything else. So unless you're a) a member of the Iowa democratic party or b) a member of one of the campaigns pinning your entire strategy on getting thosepost Iowa stories, this really doesn't effect you at all.

cartographer

Oct 25, 2017
Quoting myself from poliera:

We likely never had "accurate" numbers from an Iowa caucus. There were Iowa caucus problems in elections past. It's not a new or sudden thing. Really. Accuracy and integrity confirmation of the process was never really challenged until this year.
Yup. Having to report more detailed numbers is making them expose the errors and discrepancies inherent to this process.

medinaria

Oct 30, 2017
Purely speculation at this point, Bernie almost assuredly won both the vote counts but with Pete paraded his SDEs performance but now kinda backing off and Bernie leaving them out... it's probably too close to call there

this is basically my read of the situation, the sanders campaign seems very certain that they won the popular vote by a pretty comfortable margin (which is likely true, and relatively expected especially considering how poorly biden did) but I think the SDEs are probably close enough that they're not willing to commit to either that message or to the counts they have calculated

(I also feel like them saying "here's how many delegates we deserve" could be perceived pretty poorly, and could cause a lot of controversy if they're wrong once they finish counting - people understand some differences in popular vote, but changes in delegates would likely cause some arguments/accusations)

Deleted member 62561

Dec 31, 2019
I'm surprised the candidates don't appear to be getting angry about this.

Ashane

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
And there is nothing to support this melodrama. Let's all please keep it on-topic and avoid conspiracy theories.

There is not?

You mean I did not hear Pete say, repeatedly now, that he won Iowa? I'm sure I was not high, as I don't do drugs, but maybe I was hallucinating.

What he did was disgusting. His campaign had *zero* clue if he won or not. They *only* took numbers for their candidate and none of the others. How in the hell can you claim victory off of that?

#MayorCheat indeed.

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't matter.

In a world where people are out to spin your processes as corrupt, if you are a campaign caucus chair you should be demanding this type of thing be done properly.

Coins are flipped regularly in high stakes games (Football, Magic tourneys, etc...) and none of them would have accepted this. This is yet another example of dems desperately needing to get their shit together, but being unable to since the those who benefit from the sloppiness would rather win

At the end of the day its just individual people and when you go down to that level of detail it's just a little sloppy and you are just shitting on a kinda awkward kid. And a single district level delegate isn't going to meaningfully sway the statewide delegate county, in all honesty.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
And there is nothing to support this melodrama. Let's all please keep it on-topic and avoid conspiracy theories.
Come on now. Acknowledging a trending hashtag in the wake of a huge disorganized episode is mundane. This is not a "conspiracy theory" and Pete's weird Twitter post about going forth victorious is going to make him look like a fool if he finishes anything less than first.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty disheartening how many people still confuse the Iowa Democratic Party with the DNC.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but people, no one was really listening when he said they were victorious (what ever definitions that mans) and the story is still "Iowa is a shit show".

Here in about 5 hours it is just going to be about the SOTU. Then we get impeachment stuff. It would have been much better for Pete if it was decisively shown LAST NIGHT that he we second. That would have been more victorious because he won't have time to try and build momentum going into NH and try to close the gap. I don't see how Pete is being nefarious at all with this.

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
so it's looking relatively clear that Bernie won both vote counts - it's really just a matter if he actually won the delegates, as his support may be hyper concentrated.

Pete has backed off the SDE claim a bit, so it's likely going to end up being very close

Status
Not open for further replies.