• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who's Going to Win South Carolina?

• Joe Biden

Votes: 585 39.2%
  • Bernie Sanders

Votes: 853 57.2%
  • Elizabeth Warren

Votes: 24 1.6%
  • Pete Buttigieg

Votes: 7 0.5%
  • THE KLOBBERER

Votes: 16 1.1%
  • Tom Steyer

Votes: 6 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Quoting myself from poliera:

We likely never had "accurate" numbers from an Iowa caucus. There were Iowa caucus problems in elections past. It's not a new or sudden thing. Really. Accuracy and integrity confirmation of the process was never really challenged until this year.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think this is correct. There was a very revealing article about Tara McGowan, the founder from last year:

This is how democracy dies in the shadows... it's shit like this that makes people lose faith in our democratic institutions and yearn for some fascismo to clean house.,,

Truly, the political parties structures are rotten from the inside out and this is surely not a singular case of the US. Probably is mostly like that around the world.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mean the flipping itself (which is also a problem). I mean the fact that that dude picks the coin out of his hand and chooses which side to place down in front of everybody...
shit would get you thrown out of a Magic tournament, why does no one care in an election?

I think it's just he caught the coin oddly in his hand, then does a super awkward obligatory flip onto the other. Looks like he was surrounded by the other campaign caucus chairs so anyone who had a problem there could have probably raised an objection if they wanted.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Can someone photoshop that scene of Shadow kicking Silver in the back of the head, but instead of Silver it is the state of Iowa?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
No, they only had his own numbers in no relation to the other candidates. Pete's team claimed to have 25% of the final vote, which matches the numbers from Bernies camp

....is the guy who tweeted that forgetting that neither of them have close to 100% of precincts reporting orrr

MajorGripex

Oct 25, 2017
R4fRMrJ.png

lol
SHADOW forcing use of CHAOS quality CONTROL.

Oct 25, 2017
Quoting myself from poliera:

We likely never had "accurate" numbers from an Iowa caucus. There were Iowa caucus problems in elections past. It's not a new or sudden thing. Really. Accuracy and integrity confirmation of the process was never really challenged until this year.

Yeah, even with recent memory, the 2012 Republican side was fucked, and even in the 1976 caucuses that led to Carter's nomination and the importance of the caucuses growing, Uncommitted/Other or whatever the category was technically "won".

Caucuses are almost always really stupid, but people didn't pay as much attention to them back in the day.

medinaria

Oct 30, 2017
No, they only had his own numbers in no relation to the other candidates. Pete's team claimed to have 25% of the final vote, which matches the numbers from Bernies camp

this is the problem with buttigieg's numbers, which is so glaring that I frankly find it bizarre that they decided they were good enough to use

if all you have are your candidate's numbers, and you have some assumptions about what numbers you need to hit in order to win, you're making a lot of fucking assumptions here. if you hit your marks and you predict a 1pt victory over sanders, but sanders overperforms by 3pts, you lose! and how do they know this isn't the case? they don't! they have absolutely no idea! their model might be wrong! they literally cannot show that it isn't!

like, if they don't have a full breakdown of every candidate's numbers, it's fucking appalling that they chose to declare victory (and let's not entertain for a second that the boo-urns defense is anything other than total horseshit). completely divorced from if they did win or not, because we still don't know (they might have! who can say?), this is incredibly stupid.

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Bernie did win because them releasing their numbers will just lead to more conspiracy theories if it turns out Pete won

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc

chaostrophy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think this is correct. There was a very revealing article about Tara McGowan, the founder from last year:

This is how democracy dies in the shadows... it's shit like this that makes people lose faith in our democratic institutions and yearn for some fascismo to clean house.,,

An A student with an attitude, she was kicked out of two private high schools while moving around the Northeast for her dad's corporate job

...and there it is. The class privilege.

Zeron

Oct 27, 2017
Iowa
Note to remember, internal polling is probably done where the candidate knows they are strongest, not where they are weakest.

What this means is that the 60% comfortable lead number isn't untrue, but was most likely taken from places were the people that volunteered to go there and input numbers skewed Bernie than not.

Be mindful of this when official results come out. Self-reporting bias exists for a reason. Be vigilant.
They were recording results at my precinct where Bernie got 1 of 5 delegates. So I would think they spread themselves pretty well.

BetterOffEd

Oct 29, 2017
I think it's just he caught the coin oddly in his hand, then does a super awkward obligatory flip onto the other. Looks like he was surrounded by the other campaign caucus chairs so anyone who had a problem there could have probably raised an objection if they wanted.

Doesn't matter.

In a world where people are out to spin your processes as corrupt, if you are a campaign caucus chair you should be demanding this type of thing be done properly.

Coins are flipped regularly in high stakes games (Football, Magic tourneys, etc...) and none of them would have accepted this. This is yet another example of dems desperately needing to get their shit together, but being unable to since the those who benefit from the sloppiness would rather win

medinaria

Oct 30, 2017
This would have broken already if true. Sanders and Weaver just spoke to reporters a little while ago and didn't mention it.

also I'm obliged to point out that, if you click through to the actual tweet, everyone underneath it is A: also a rose twitter person and B: calling this person a fucking moron who needs to go away

it's very likely untrue - it does appear true that sanders may have sent workers to every caucus, but the lawyer shit doesn't have any backing

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
the twitter discourse with inaccurate speculation and conspiracy fears drove me crazy last night. very frustrating when you know what's going on but know that no one is gonna listen.

Lonewulfeus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they're going to insist on doing coin flips, they should just flip a coin into a box, and then have no one touch it until everyone acknowledges it.
That removes potential human error and reduces claims that the coin toss was biased.

The coin flip should be done by a robot created by Shadow obviously. Removes human error and human choice 😅

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll ask again as someone who isn't entirely familiar: What is the implication and importance of the results of the Iowa caucus going forward? How does it have any bearing on the rest of the primary? What does it tell us?

klonere

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
If Bloomberg actually buys this whole thing you need to shut the country down and just call it a day. Everyone tried their best but it wasn't going to work out. Please close the door, last one leaving!

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
I'll ask again as someone who isn't entirely familiar: What is the implication and importance of the results of the Iowa caucus going forward? How does it have any bearing on the rest of the primary? What does it tell us?

Nothing really. Maybe it'll show some "insurgent" candidates the votes ain't there. But that's just acceleration, not changing things.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
jesus not even close. Wtf is wrong with pete claiming victory?

Pete could have lost by 4 points in the 2nd alignment and still won SDE (which normally would make him the so called winner)

We just don't know anything yet. Bernie putting out these numbers is a pretty shitty look but Pete started it last night so shrug

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Delegate wise it's nothing.

Media wise, it can be used to sink/boost campaigns based on overperforming/underperforming.

Status
Not open for further replies.