• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who's Going to Win South Carolina?

• Joe Biden

Votes: 585 39.2%
  • Bernie Sanders

Votes: 853 57.2%
  • Elizabeth Warren

Votes: 24 1.6%
  • Pete Buttigieg

Votes: 7 0.5%
  • THE KLOBBERER

Votes: 16 1.1%
  • Tom Steyer

Votes: 6 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone give me a quick rundown of what happened in Iowa? I've been tuned out of politics for a while now.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Thing is, older voter count was down, younger voter count was up, and Biden just never had any really "excitement" for him. A lot of the end numbers are going to be scewed by the second round but looks like Bernie/Warren/Pete are going to be the ones that can claim some sort of moral victory.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone give me a quick rundown of what happened in Iowa? I've been tuned out of politics for a while now.

Essentially they rolled out a new voting app for the caucus, didn't test it at a statewide level, discovered irregularities in the tabulation - and decided to delay posting any results. Though they've said that they have the information on who won with what, but for some reason are not releasing any numbers.

cDNA

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing how thing ended, I wonder if many candidates that drop out early are regretting it now.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Essentially they rolled out a new voting app for the caucus, didn't test it at a statewide level, discovered irregularities in the tabulation - and decided to delay posting any results. Though they've said that they have the information on who won with what, but for some reason are not releasing any numbers.
Why does BS like this always happen? Thanks btw.

klonere

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
User warned: Ignoring staff post
so the guy that funded the app is a Zionist (yuuuuugeeee fan of the illegal settlements in the West Bank) AND switched from GOP to Dems because Trump said he'd consider forgiving Puerto Rico's debts - which this guy holds nearly $1bill of! Wow! Not a conspiracy though! Nope! Not at alll!

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's for the best that they're not rushing out the results. Biden's team is really out here saying we can't trust the results.

ecnal

Oct 27, 2017
All of this feels very on brand for the Democrats 🤷‍♀️

- A bunch of rule changes from 2016 that make things significantly more complicated
- Using an untested app instead of literally dozens of other proven options that can't break
- The conversation on the left immediately focuses on warnings about spreading conspiracies, while Pete declares victory and Biden leaks a memo questioning the results

Wordballoons

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
so the guy that funded the app is a Zionist (yuuuuugeeee fan of the illegal settlements in the West Bank) AND switched from GOP to Dems because Trump said he'd consider forgiving Puerto Rico's debts - which this guy holds nearly $1bill of! Wow! Not a conspiracy though! Nope! Not at alll!

We don't need to tiptoe into antisemitism here

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
This is nasty but there's several Democrats I've met at events who won't support Pete because he is gay. Don't know why that bigotry flies with people.

That said... I don't support Pete for other reasons

Hard to be surprised.

People don't vote for policies to save their life. Just the way they look and a letter next to their name.

And going a step further to be "bipartisan."

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
What's with all the conspiracy nonsense?

you know who agrees with you that all this is just baseless conspiracy? the lady herself!

EP8gFxnXUAIY7JH

Oct 25, 2017
All the talk about the coin tosses is a red herring. They're just used to break ties in allocating delegates and by the time the delegates actually do anything, the Democratic nominee will known.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
It's good that this whole debacle is shining a light on how fucking stupid caucuses are. Just sounds like a shitshow to participate in from reports, regardless of how long it takes for results. Incompetency all around.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Dems running the Iowa caucus used an app to tally votes. This app was poorly made and broke when all 1000+ volunteers tried to submit their data at around the same time. It turns out the app was made by a small team in two months and volunteers weren't shown how to use it, leaving many confused when the app didn't work. They tried setting up phone lines as a Plan B but of course those got fucked up by everyone trying to report in at once too.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA

Just seems like nonsense, unless we are supposing the app was designed purposely to fail, but not actually change anything, for some reason.

The US is an oligarchy, that's an objective fact based on legislative outcomes. So it's hardly surprising that some people are talking about the possibility of foul play.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you know who agrees with you that all this is just baseless conspiracy? the lady herself!

EP8gFxnXUAIY7JH
hey man just because everything associated with the app is suspicious, doesn't mean we should talk about it.

edit: honestly the self-dealing and profiteering happening behind the scenes from people who are totally incompetent is mind blowing

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The US is an oligarchy, that's an objective fact based on legislative outcomes. So it's hardly surprising that some people are talking about the possibility of foul play.

What is the foul play? Numbers that were expected quicker did not arrive? Scandalous! At this point, it's six degrees of Glenn Becking.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Listening to NPR this morning they said that caucus volunteers were given the app on Friday and told to "play around with it." No guidance, no opportunity to provide feedback and definitely nothing was changed between then and Monday. What an absolute recipe for disaster.

Oct 25, 2017

I'm sure they're prepared to fairly treat the candidate who has just recently spoken about wiping out all of Puerto Rico's debt.

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
User warned: Ignoring staff post - metacommentary

StOp PoStInG cOnSpIrAcIeS

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
What is the foul play? Numbers that were expected quicker did not arrive? Scandalous! At this point, it's six degrees of Glenn Becking.

It is scandalous, I don't know why you and others are downplaying it. People screwed up and anyone with any sense could predict that screwing up the tabulation of votes would lead people to think something is off.

It's most likely plain old incompetence, but to act like it's ridiculous that some people are suspicious is straight up dumb. This kind of thing is exactly what many thought would happen after Bernie surged in the polls.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Voting app? I thought it was vote reporting app.

klonere

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

The man who was funded the app was also funding "We should genocide the Palestinian and it would be morally correct" op-eds (there was an article that espoused this in the Times of Israel, a paper he founded), GOP candidates and buying up impoverished nations debts, and just waltzed into the highest echelons of the Dem party no questions asked. WIth no oversight. No questions asked. Just a cartoon sack of money handed over to the right people and he got what he wanted.

Whatever about how shambolic the app itself was, this is a piercing example of how easy it is for those with money to get what they want from the DNC. It's why the DNC needs to be disassembled piece by piece and rebuilt by the working class. Facts only.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is scandalous, I don't know why you and others are downplaying it. People screwed up and anyone with any sense could predict that screwing up the tabulation of votes would lead people to think something is off.

It's most likely plain old incompetence, but to act like it's ridiculous that some people are suspicious is straight up dumb. This kind of thing is exactly what many thought would happen after Bernie surged in the polls.

I'm not downplaying the failures last night. I'm downplaying the morons who are going down some rabbit hole that this is all a conspiracy by the Zionists!

Deleted member 6122

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what's the theory?

They paid a group of people to design the app wrong so that the caucus still happens, things are still tallied correctly and Pete's big night is ruined because of the media reporting about the submission debacle?
You know things don't have to be literally rigged to still be a really bad look that raises a lot of questions about conflicts of interest

Oct 25, 2017
The man who was funded the app was also funding "We should genocide the Palestinian and it would be morally correct" op-eds (there was an article that espoused this in the Times of Israel, a paper he founded), GOP candidates and buying up impoverished nations debts, and just waltzed into the highest echelons of the Dem party no questions asked. WIth no oversight. No questions asked. Just a cartoon sack of money handed over to the right people and he got what he wanted.

Whatever about how shambolic the app itself was, this is a piercing example of how easy it is for those with money to get what they want from the DNC. It's why the DNC needs to be disassembled piece by piece and rebuilt by the working class. Facts only.

Did the DNC make the app? Did the DNC pay for the app? This was the state party I thought?

Deleted member 58401

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 7, 2019

Just seems like nonsense, unless we are supposing the app was designed purposely to fail, but not actually change anything, for some reason.
😄

Really, though. Why are people suddenly so inclined to believe there's some multi-level coordination to blow up Iowa, block Bernie, prop up Pete, and what else am I missing?

Iowa has like 41 delegates and they're shared between all the viable candidates. It's essentially meaningless other than whatever the media decides to say about it.

So the conspiracy was to have everything recorded properly, some info not transfer via the app, recheck the paper records, and... nothing changes? Good job, Hillary!

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

So this man gave the company money to sabotage the Iowa Caucus in a brilliant plan that has been exposed within 12 hours of the caucus grinding to a halt.

What does the DNC have to do with this? Where are they connected? Can you tell me how far this rabbit hole goes. Am I through the looking glass yet?

Oct 27, 2017
It sucks how easily political technologist losers are able to grift off of campaigns because stupid money abounds. It'd be great if we stopped letting these professional failures have any sort of dealings in our elections.

Status
Not open for further replies.