• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who's Going to Win South Carolina?

• Joe Biden

Votes: 585 39.2%
  • Bernie Sanders

Votes: 853 57.2%
  • Elizabeth Warren

Votes: 24 1.6%
  • Pete Buttigieg

Votes: 7 0.5%
  • THE KLOBBERER

Votes: 16 1.1%
  • Tom Steyer

Votes: 6 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Don't be playing coy after you were the one to talk about "Venezuelan election integrity" like it's something to be mocked.

Go back and read the entire chain here. My point on this stupid topic introduced by some dumb social media post has been "A caucus is not an election," then someone else brought up Venezeula and Bolivia or some other elections somewhere else in the world. Genuinely, I have no opinion on the state of general elections in Venezeula and they are 100% irrelevant to the topic of the Iowa caucus, which -- again -- is not an election.

Actually, you were talking about Venezuela until your talking points fell apart.

Not so, I was arguing about that social media post that suggested that the Iowa caucus needs to be investigated by the United Nations for election integrity. It doesn't. It's not an election. Someone else arguing that the social media post is a true reflection of reality, or whatever, brought up Venezeula, another person (or the same, I forget now) brought up Bolivia. But, yeah, I am surprised that people stan for Venezuelan elections, but beyond that surprise, my point is still caucuses are not elections. They're not general elections. They're not elections. They're a private party event.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CNN is now reporting there was a "major coding error" within the app.
voting_software.png

Oct 25, 2017

Well at least there is one good thing coming out of this. Say goodbye to his electability argument.

Last edited:

rabathehutch

Nov 1, 2017
I agree with this that they're exclusionary of people who can't get to the building for an hour, or w/e, but caucuses aren't a public event, they're a private event that ultimately don't decide anything on their own. It's more or less a matter of luck that the candidate who has happenstance that the Iowa Democratic caucus has gone onto be selected as the representative of the Democratic party the last 5 elections... This hasn't played out the same way for the Republican party.

I think that's really a stretch, though, to say that caucuses are "intentionally manufactured to be exclusionary." Caucuses are not manufactured at all. The Iowa Caucus is an old-timey party event that is a throwback to 100 years of political election chicanery; it's a reflection of when candidates had to get into a room and make a personal appeal to voters, as opposed to today's election process when you're as likely to be influenced by an ad on Facebook as you are by an actual candidate's personal appeal. It's why so many voters in Iowa can claim that they've met every president, because it compels candidates to actually go to the state and introduce themselves to people in person where they live and work. As opposed to my state, Massachusetts, which has a larger delegate count and has a traditional primary, and nobody cares about it. Elizabeth Warren, one of the leading candidates, probably won't even set foot in my state at an official, large-scale event, I'll never meet her, and she lives here! I work about 20mins from Elizabeth Warrren's house, and she'll never come to my work or see us out at lunch to talk to us, while meanwhile she's personally introduced herself and talked with thousands of Iowans, thousands of miles away. That's something that the Iowa caucus makes possible that the Massachusetts primary really doesn't (and in any event, both the Iowa caucus and the MA primary both picked the same candidate by about the same spread in 2016).

The caucus is weird. It's a throwback. But it also has benefits that other primaries don't have. It's closer to a "Ranked choice" system where you can support your favorite candidate, but then fall back to another candidate if they're not successful.

Beyond that, though and most importantly, there's only 2 caucuses out of 50 state primaries. 48 other state primaries are traditional primaries, and you have 2 caucuses. On the whole, I think that's better for Democracy. But, also, primaries are party events, not public elections.
Claiming a caucus doesn't decide anything is a reductionist. Obviously it's very important or we wouldn't have 107 pages discussing it, we are talking about the "Iowa Bump" and which candidates are credible past this. It doesn't decide the candidate for each party but it clearly matters and reducing certain people's chance to vote for their chosen candidate in their own state isn't good.

Yeah you're right, I probably should have said intentionally manufactured but there are still many other systems that encourage the candidates to visit the area but can still be done in a standard voting system. I admit I'm a foreigner looking in on this so I'll be missing the cultural side of this but in our leadership elections (which are the closest to primaries) we have hustings that local party members can attend to ask questions and meet the candidates in a smaller forum and then after the fact you can vote over a certain time period.

I also agree that ranked voting is the best system so why not introduce that? Having a throwback that means taking hours out your Monday night in Iowa in winter surely can't be the ideal solution?

Oct 25, 2017
Go back and read the entire chain here. My point on this stupid topic introduced by some dumb social media post has been "A caucus is not an election," then someone else brought up Venezeula and Bolivia or some other elections somewhere else in the world. Genuinely, I have no opinion on the state of general elections in Venezeula and they are 100% irrelevant to the topic of the Iowa caucus, which -- again -- is not an election.

If you can't understand that all of the social media jokes about this are black comedy commenting on how non-existent "irregularities" are always the justification the US imperial machine is using to justify their coup attempts in places like Venezuela, Bolivia, Chile, etc, and are now being seen (but actually seemingly real irregularities, unlike the fake ones in those Latin American countries are) in the Iowa caucus, then I don't know what to tell you.

Yes, everyone knows that these are a party function, not an election. But there's no way that if you're a leftist you can't comment on this.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I only namedropped Bolivia, which to be fair, it's count was going way more smoothly that this "voting process" before being victim of a coup and the US government claimed there was fraud involved.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Was Obama an anomaly? Are Democrats this bad?
From 1968-1992/96, Only Carter and Clinton were elected. Then you have Obama in 2008 and 2012. And by 2020, much of his accomplishments overturned or largely watered down. All while losing massively in smaller state and local level races. 2018 at least stopped the bleeding quite a bit.

But jury is still out on if that's sustainable.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
With Biden seemingly having lost, why were the polls such shit in this regard? Wasn't he in the number one spot for some time?

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
This is nasty but there's several Democrats I've met at events who won't support Pete because he is gay. Don't know why that bigotry flies with people.

That said... I don't support Pete for other reasons

I don't know why you're surprised.

Pete's sexuality isn't exactly a large topic of conversation as part of his campaign. He'll blurt out "I was a gay dude who managed to become mayor of South Bend" at the occasional debate, but more often he tends to identify himself as a mayor, war veteran, and now candidate for President who's more moderate than the progressive leaders. I wouldn't be shocked if centrist moderates who don't really pay attention to politics all that much but who also happen to be hyper religious will tune out Pete when they find out he's gay like this woman did.

It's a sad reality but Pete's obviously not running is campaign to be the first openly gay person in the White House because of people like that. Despite that it'd be right up there in historical relevance as voting the first woman into office would be.

Oct 25, 2017
With Biden seemingly having lost, why were the polls such shit in this regard? Wasn't he in the number one spot for some time?

Nationally he's pretty much always been in the lead, but Iowa polls were much more split, and there were many that did show him in 4th around the level of support he wound up with.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Yeah, Democrats are this bad. Obama, and Bill Clinton, were extremely gifted politicians, and anomalies for the party.
Worth pointing out (as always) that Gore and H. Clinton still won the popular vote. Our only popular vote loser in more than 30 years is Kerry, who was up against a wartime incumbent and still nearly pulled it off (60,000 Bush voters changing their minds in Ohio would have done it).

The country overall has a natural inclination towards the Democratic Party, but there is systemic bias within the Electoral College that favors the Republicans. Only Obama and B. Clinton were charismatic enough to overcome that and win outright, but even our boring, hum-drum candidates usually win the popular vote.

I think that's worth acknowledging because just taking Republican victories at face value internalizes "well it's actually the Democrats' fault for sucking." Maybe Gore, Kerry and Clinton did suck, but pinning it all on them gives Republicans a pass for cheating a broken system.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This is the most relevant these old, rural, white folks in the middle of nowhere will be for 4+ years and they blew it.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
"We have discovered some irregularities within the app..."

Read: Biden didn't win the caucaus so we're trying to figure out how to make that happen.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Odds that no one wrote anything down, trusting the "app" implicitly, and now they've lost the data and will have to re-invite voters for a re-caucus?

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 week): Ignoring staff post with regard to conspiracy theories

Read: Biden didn't win the caucaus so we're trying to figure out how to make that happen.

I read it as "We were in the middle of ratfucking Bernie when someone told us that his campaign had an app and was tabulating numbers from all over the state".

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Claiming a caucus doesn't decide anything is a reductionist. Obviously it's very important or we wouldn't have 107 pages discussing it, we are talking about the "Iowa Bump" and which candidates are credible past this. It doesn't decide the candidate for each party but it clearly matters and reducing certain people's chance to vote for their chosen candidate in their own state isn't good.

Yeah you're right, I probably should have said intentionally manufactured but there are still many other systems that encourage the candidates to visit the area but can still be done in a standard voting system. I admit I'm a foreigner looking in on this so I'll be missing the cultural side of this but in our leadership elections (which are the closest to primaries) we have hustings that local party members can attend to ask questions and meet the candidates in a smaller forum and then after the fact you can vote over a certain time period.

I also agree that ranked voting is the best system so why not introduce that? Having a throwback that means taking hours out your Monday night in Iowa in winter surely can't be the ideal solution?

I agree, I'd ideally want a ranked choice voting system for primaries and the general election. The caucus is definitely important, so I didn't mean to imply it wasn't, but it's more similar to, like, a debate or major rally than a strict election. Ultimately the caucus only leads to a tiny number of delegates to whoever wins, but the process of caucusing (the whole "First in America Caucus") is part of a larger more important process that does get candidates out to meeting people individually and needing to appeal on a personal level to voters, which I think is important. New Hampshire's primary does that to a degree too, though Iowa more so. And of course there's this dumb bit of political history for why Iowa caucuses instead of primaries in the first place, part of which is that New Hampshire has it in their stupid state law that they're "The first primary," while Iowa can still be like "We're first in the nation!!" because they caucus instead of primary. It's hilariously stupid, but because the whole election process is a people-driven process, and not like a well engineered mechanical machine, I kind of like it.

We're only a couple generations separated from when there were basically no real primaries at all, and no national party cooperation in the primary... The candidate would genuinely be selected in a smokey room at the national convention. It's so dumb from a like .. engineering level, like if you look at elections like holistic software design, the idea of caucuses would be such a major flaw in the requirements, but if you look at it as a system of people coming together to hash out political agreements over generations, I actually like the caucus system... At least, I like it's small, messy, influential place in the primary process. I wouldn't want every state to have a caucus instead of a primary election, but I'm okay with two states doing things differently as part of an overall process.

What I don't like is that the Iowa Democratic Party completely shit the bed in its most important election event every 4 years, and arguably the most important Democratic caucus since 2008. To hire a company to build an app that they didn't adequately test or vet or verify is just an utter debacle and embarrassment for the national Democratic party.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas

I read it as "We were in the middle of ratfucking Bernie when someone told us that his campaign had an app and was tabulating numbers from all over the state".
And it's no wonder we're partly in the state we're in when people just need to cling to conspiracies to justify possible losing or poor performance. Especially in a state that has fucked up caucuses before.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Worth pointing out (as always) that Gore and H. Clinton still won the popular vote. Our only popular vote loser in more than 30 years is Kerry, who was up against a wartime incumbent and still nearly pulled it off (60,000 Bush voters changing their minds in Ohio would have done it).

The country overall has a natural inclination towards the Democratic Party, but there is systemic bias within the Electoral College that favors the Republicans. Only Obama and B. Clinton were charismatic enough to overcome that and win outright, but even our boring, hum-drum candidates usually win the popular vote.

You're right. You know, we really need to abolish the Electoral College to enact progressive change. That and adding states (PR, DC) should be one of the big focuses of the Democratic Party.

kickz

Nov 3, 2017
Where the hell are those shitty exit polls they usually use lol?

Did Bernie winning cause us to wait for a count. >.>

Status
Not open for further replies.