• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who's Going to Win South Carolina?

• Joe Biden

Votes: 585 39.2%
  • Bernie Sanders

Votes: 853 57.2%
  • Elizabeth Warren

Votes: 24 1.6%
  • Pete Buttigieg

Votes: 7 0.5%
  • THE KLOBBERER

Votes: 16 1.1%
  • Tom Steyer

Votes: 6 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

JustinBailey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That woman's face when she challenges Buttigieg's sexuality on the premise of the bible is a good face to describe the feeling of everyone toward the Iowa results from last night, or lack thereof.

However, not a good face based on the merits of her challenges alone.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man, they shit the bed, then proceed to vomit in the sheets, then fall asleep in the middle of their disgusting mess. This is some next level debacle.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
The Iowa Democratic party shit itself so bad tonight, a complete laughing stock of the country, bumping Florida from its sacred mantle and taking center stage. From a circus perspective I actually like the idea of caucuses, it's that glorious mix of bizarre old timey whistlestop politics, but when you combine it with "THE APP" it just disintegrates. Whenever I've heard people talking about "The App" all I can think of is Ryan's "The Website" project at DunderMifflin in The Office.

The blowback for Pete declaring himself the winner can't be worth whatever perceived advantage he thought it would bring. I live in Indiana, which should be friendlier to him in theory, and 2 of the top five trending hashtags on twitter (all of which are about Iowa) are #MayorCheat and #MayoCheat.

MayoCheat, haha... Twitter really raising the bar of creativity this election season.

Like others have said though, can't trust Twitter hashtags because, first, they're algorithmically made to appeal to you (e.g., telling you what they perceive you want to see) and, two, they're routinely influenced by bad actors/botnets. A real person might have come up with "#MayoCheat" (because let's be honest, no robot is that stupid), but hashtags primarily get exposure through bot targets.

Deleted member 58401

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 7, 2019
Hey, let's not shit on Iowa for a stupid caucus.
Some of us do live here.
Well, we're here. I can't swear it's really living, though.
Honestly, I want a primary. I spent 3 hours caucusing when I could have just voted and left if it were a primary.
Same. It's just a pain in the ass for everyone.
With still no results, I feel like Bernie is actually comes out better from the delay, because it prevents any Buttigieg surge narrative from forming before NH, where Bernie should have any easy win. Seems like from the data we have, Buttigieg is the favorite for delegate equivalents, and may have even eked out a win on the second choice ballot after realignments, which the media would've hyped as an unexpected triumph against the odds, but now that doesn't happen, and the first momentum surge gets to come from NH.

But then the low turnout seems like kind of a blow against Bernie's whole general election strategy of we're going to turn out disaffected non-voters in heretofore unseen numbers, so that's kinda worrying.
This, and between him and Amy performing so well, Biden might walk out half dead, too. It could work out pretty great.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
"While the app was recording data accurately, it was reporting out only partial data. We have determined that this was due to a coding issue in the reporting system."

wooooow. It cannot sound worse.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
lol thanks, bernard

rwnounvepue41.jpg

tulsi had nine true believers (based on 40% of precincts) can we get someone to interview these ppl?

kinda really pissed that bernie got robbed of a real victory due to incompetence

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Are you telling me I went to sleep, overslept and there is still no results? Damn, we get presidential election results in Brazil just hours after the ballots close lol. Good job guys

SJurgenson

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
HOW ELSE WOULD YOU DESCRIBE IT? People in this thread are delusional.

I fail to see how we can blame The Democrats wit large because:

a) Fucking Iowa goes first
b) Somehow they have only 99 counties but over 1600 polling precincts.
c) They historically use a weird caucus process
d) The caucus process was made more obtuse after 2016
e) A new tabulating app was introduced and poolu tested

Yeah, it sucks the results aren't out yet. Yeah, hopefully this kills Iowa caucus as the start of the primary process.

This is not the end of the election for fucks sake.

Also, over 1600 precincts??? Are there even over 1600 stoplights in Iowa???

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
"While the app was recording data accurately, it was reporting out only partial data. We have determined that this was due to a coding issue in the reporting system."

wooooow. It cannot sound worse.

mah god. The only solace I have is that Iowa is filled with old timey down on the farm traditionalists who likely would have scribbled the results on a piece of paper before punching it into THE APP.

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
Dems really keen on giving Trump more and more ammo...

Impeachment seems a waste and his numbers will go up, now this... get your shit together.

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the end though, that doesn't matter. What matters is the delegates secured, which will happen irregardless of whether the media runs the winners etc.

Iowa offers 56 delegates out of 4366. A measly 1.28% of the total delegates wouldn't make or break anyone in a winner-take-all situation, and it matters even less when it's split up between two or three candidates.

CNN often sucks, but Iowa failed to provide any candidate with the one thing it's good for. The writer was obviously going for that, and assuming they were being completely literal is anal retentive at best.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Man, the "Dems in disarray" that the news media is running with this morning is really forced and insufferable.

Did you know that this is UTTER CHAOS and THE WORST CASE SCENARIO for the Democrats?!

It's a terrible look for the Democratic party. Caucuses are run by the party, it's a party process, not a state or official electoral process. Short of say, evidence of some malicious hack or something, the only group to blame, here, is the Democratic party. It's their caucus. A lot of suspicion was cast on their reporting-by-app, and the Iowa Democratic party assured everybody that, nah, we've got a backup if the app fails. Well, the app failed, and the backup failed, and Donald Trump comes out the decisive winner of the Iowa Democratic Caucus. With the State of the Union coming tonight and Trump's senate acquittal coming Wednesday, it's shaping up to be a the best week for Donald Trump in months and months.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
In the end though, that doesn't matter. What matters is the delegates secured, which will happen irregardless of whether the media runs the winners etc.

Nah, the Iowa caucus only matters because it's a momentum builder. The number of delegates is almost meaningless, something like 1% of the total count of delegates a candidate is vying for. It's designed to help build a narrative, and at least in 20 years of Democratic party politics it has worked that way, unlike the GOP Iowa caucus which hasn't been representative of a winner in ~4 elections.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I don't think Pete and Sanders should be releasing their own data like this. This just creates dueling narratives where now both bases will cry foul when one of them eventually places second.

medinaria

Oct 30, 2017
"why do people hate buttigieg"

the "I was saying boo-urns" of explanations, he's such a slimy little shit

Sendero

Oct 25, 2017
There was no training on using the medium through which the results would be reported, stored and verified.
None accounting for the app makers, this is a whole level of sheer and utter incompetence.

And I'm not talking just about Iowa local group. The national Democratic party surely reviews & veto that the local elections are up to par, and ready to go.
Right?

If so, they both missed perhaps the most critical element of the Caucus.
If not, then they are guilty by omission.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Fervent liberals with a belief in gradualism are just as dumb. Haven't even gotten the message that shit went out of fashion a long time ago in natural science...Still relying on a weak and outdated understanding of how transformational change happens. Not that they actually want it in the first place, but they are happy to own the rhetoric.

Sure, gradualism is a garbage political philosophy, but to suggest that you're either for Bernie or you're a shitty gradualist liberal is just not a sound logical argument.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 week): Hostility, ignoring staff post
The idiots in this thread can keep defending this incompetency on display here. Just don't scratch your head why Trump got another 4 years easily come November.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017

Oh for pity's sake, after all the shit that's constantly happened over the past four years, all it takes is one badly organised caucus and an impeachment that was doomed from the get go because of sycophants to give this guy another term?

WTF is wrong people. I might as well take a shit on a baby and give their parents a tenner and I'll come out smelling of roses.

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 week): Ignoring staff post
If the Democratic Party loses to Donald Trump in 2020, it's entirely the DNC's fault. Their bias against Bernie Sanders made them lose in 2016, and it appears they didn't learn their lesson. The party refuses to accept change.

daschysta

Mar 24, 2019
lol thanks, bernard

rwnounvepue41.jpg

tulsi had nine true believers (based on 40% of precincts) can we get someone to interview these ppl?

kinda really pissed that bernie got robbed of a real victory due to incompetence
These are pretty much in line with what Pete reported for himself. (Butti said he had 25% in final count). Butti also didn't mention the total of any other candidates.

I'm pretty confident that Bernie came out on top, or at least a virtual tie. Not to mention that Butti is on the whole "victory for us" rather than won.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Oh for pity's sake, after all the shit that's constantly happened over the past four years, all it takes is one badly organised caucus and an impeachment that was doomed from the get go because of sycophants to give this guy another term?

WTF is wrong people. I might as well take a shit on a baby and give their parents a tenner and I'll come out smelling of roses.

To be fair, the poll was before the botched caucus.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
This Shadow company sounds incompetent as fuck. I wonder why they were chosen for such an important process.

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
The longer the delay is, the more untrustworthy the results will seem, regardless of how true they actually are. The narrative will be all over the place, from different campaigns to different news stations.

What a shitshow

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas

Those numbers have nothing to do with this caucus situation, thought.

What's the saying? "It's the economy, stupid."

As for this caucus, an embarrassing display. Something not needed when there is already plenty of shit in the air regarding the state and integrity of elections. State Dem party should be ashamed about how they failed to train and prepare people and how they failed to test this app system. And while the GOP will take advantage of anything anyway, it's especially powerful as they'll be able to pull the lil ol Iowa card in defending this dumbass caucus and first to vote tradition.

Oct 25, 2017
lol thanks, bernard

rwnounvepue41.jpg

Due to the reporting bias of these results tending to come from locations where he a presence, the actual results are probably worse than that from him.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Have you talked to a wide variety of people about Trump? Everyone knows he has done bad shit, but I have met tons of people that don't think its such a big deal, think the democrats do it too, say its just politics in the open or are willing to take it in exchange for their lowered taxes. Were past beyond just true believers blindly following this guy.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
I obviously don't understand the nuances of caucuses, but what is the reason for a delegate split? Why doesn't whoever gets the most votes just "win?" And people thinks it's asinine (it is) that football OT is heavily determined on a coin flip yet we do it for a caucus?

medinaria

Oct 30, 2017
I fully admit my biases against buttigieg, as evidenced above, but I honestly can't fault the sanders campaign for putting out their statement

based on the information they had at the time (and who knows how correct it is, but they had every reason to believe their information was as good as whatever anyone else had at that point), they won or came very close. they were responsible during their speech, saying they "did very well" but not claiming victory. and then buttigieg, after everyone else has come out with the same type of "we think we did well" or "both teams played hard" speech, went full "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED" and just outright said he won.

if you're the sanders campaign, do you just... let him? you can't. it's very possible that you won, so you can't just let him go "nah it was me" and get away with it. you're essentially obliged at that point to at least say "we're... not sure that's true", and if you're doing that, you might as well show the evidence you have at the time. they made sure to point out that they thought it was a representative sample from all different types of districts, but also were very explicit in saying that it was only 40% of the total districts because that's what they had available at the time. it at least feels somewhat responsible - I think they were put in an unenviable position, and I think they at least did a somewhat ethical thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.