• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who's Going to Win South Carolina?

• Joe Biden

Votes: 585 39.2%
  • Bernie Sanders

Votes: 853 57.2%
  • Elizabeth Warren

Votes: 24 1.6%
  • Pete Buttigieg

Votes: 7 0.5%
  • THE KLOBBERER

Votes: 16 1.1%
  • Tom Steyer

Votes: 6 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
The Iowa branch of the DNC is going to put out a statement about how they are grateful for the feedback they've received from fans and they are sorry to have fallen short of their expectations. They will share a roadmap about how they are working on fixes and have longterm plans to support the caucus. Early voters will received a small amount of in-caucus currency as thanks for supporting the caucus.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I could not paste the wording as seen in the front page, which was ( and still is: )
Opening contest: Messy delay leaves Iowa without a winner

There are winners or a winner, we just do not know the official results yet.
That seems like splitting hairs to me. There is plenty to criticize CNN for, this is not it.
The Iowa branch of the DNC is going to put out a statement about how they are grateful for the feedback they've received from fans and they are sorry to have fallen short of their expectations. They will share a roadmap about how they are working on fixes and have longterm plans to support the caucus. Early voters will received a small amount of in-caucus currency as thanks for supporting the caucus.

Still no word on a shopping cart? smh...

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
At least the positive thing out of this is Iowa will lose their position going first. And likely lose their caucusing too.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
they are trapped under these

0e55f6749408f7d614c4659aef36a23a.jpg
Oh snap, I changed my mind, I want to caucus now.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
There was literally a mod post in this topic warning about doing so, and everyone is just dropping by to do a drive by conspiracy theory post.
They don't seem to be getting actioned either. There was one I reported yesterday pushing the whole "Bernie got screwed by the DNC in 2016" nonsense that seems to have just gone ignored.

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
That seems like splitting hairs to me. There is plenty to criticize CNN for, this is not it.

If that's your preference, sure. Personally, my patience with CNN runs awfully low these days. Especially since the Warren-Sanders manufactured feud.

To the others replying to me: Sure, I might be seeing things that are not there. *throws hands up*

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Ignoring the staff post in regards to hostility
Fervent bernie supporters continue to be the worst. We even had one in this thread earlier threatening to sit out the general if he didn't get the nomination. Like, damn. How dumb can you be?

Fervent liberals with a belief in gradualism are just as dumb. Haven't even gotten the message that shit went out of fashion a long time ago in natural science...Still relying on a weak and outdated understanding of how transformational change happens. Not that they actually want it in the first place, but they are happy to own the rhetoric.

OP
OP
Poodlestrike

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Iowa was even more of a cluster fuck than usual this year, huh? I don't know if this is the last Iowa Caucus but for the first time I think there's a real chance it might be.

For anybody wondering about the next poll, it'll go up tonight. I wanted to have a summary of the results first, but if it's not up there'll just be a placeholder.

SJurgenson

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The eyes of the world were on them and they fell flat on their face. It's embarrassing and inexcusable.

Oh no, they embarrassed themselves! Of course that portends 1000 years of electoral darkness. 2000 if Phil sees his shadow from the glow of a television playing CNN.

People here are losing their minds over slow caucus results for fucks sake.

If Bernie stubbed his toe walking in the door of the Iowa Dems HQ, you'd have two common refrains:

a) Fucking Dems, they are fucking Bernie again!
b) Shit! Shit! The Republicans are going to use this to enshrine perpetual fascism!

Seriously, a needlessly complex caucus system plus a new polling and tabulating process equals delayed results -- its not the end of the world.

The reactions here to slow results are fucking bonkers.

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
There was literally a mod post in this topic warning about doing so, and everyone is just dropping by to do a drive by conspiracy theory post.

I think we have to be a little charitable to the fact a lot of people are waking up to a lot of confusion and disinformation. We've seen lots of people wake up and check this thread expecting results only to be surprised by a confusing and unclear situation. Candidates are declaring their own victories, announcements have been delayed, a software company named "Shadow" has affiliations with candidates and ad companies. I'm not saying this merits !!conspiracy!! but the fact is a lot of people are really confused and disoriented this morning. I don't blame people for reacting to what they see at face value.

Obviously there are limits to this but I think a lot of people we see are just waking up, reacting to the news, and then they keep reading.

"Bernie got screwed by the DNC in 2016"

I think this is stupid and not grounded in reality (even as a Sanders voter in 2016) but IMO this is just a bad take, not a conspiracy theory. Lots of people think Sanders is treated poorly by the party and the media and this, itself, is a spectrum. I don't think you can force somebody to believe Sanders was treated fairly in 2016 if they don't feel that he was. You don't have to agree with it - I don't - but I don't think it's a conspiracy.

Edits: clarity.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There's nothing I find funnier then the amount of Bernie Sanders supporter insults when the narrative is "you should trust the DNC, they are the most incompetent"

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In fairness to me, the numbers we have so far suggests that Bernie won. Thats not a conspiracy theory. That's just the facts as they are now.

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
I think this is stupid and not grounded in reality (even as a Sanders voter in 2016) but IMO this is just a bad take, not a conspiracy theory. Lots of people think Sanders is treated poorly by the party and the media and this, itself, is a spectrum. I don't think you can force somebody to believe Sanders was treated fairly in 2016 if they don't feel that he was. You don't have to agree with it - I don't - but I don't think it's a conspiracy.

I don't deny that Bernie was treated unfairly or that the DNC preferred HRC to win over Bernie. The logic behind it is simply a. Bernie has never been a Democract and never worked with or for the party and B. They thought and still think that his ideas will fail at the big stage because its too far left. I disagree with point B and he is my preferred candidate but its not some crazy thinking. There is an argument to be made for a candidate less extreme and why or how Biden is still polling decent enough when in our minds he shouldn't be anywhere near the nomination.

That all said, when you start talking about being treated fairly or not, it ultimately leads to the conspiracy rabbit hole. People who I know who don't follow and know next to nothing, till this day claim the DNC rigged the primaries to hand HRC the nomination. Even when provided with proof that shows this is not true, they have bought it as fact. People, in general, are far more likely to believe conspiracies than the actual truth cause it is more sensational and helps them rationalize things like "How could Bernie lose?". Did the DNC favor HRC? Yes of course. Did they rig the primaries? Nope.

And look at the RNC. They didn't support Trump until the very last minute when he became the candidate. They tried their hardest to favor any and all other candidates over him. Parties do that even if it is on flawed logic who they think will win the general election.

SJurgenson

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
well, this election is about trying to prevent that.

If a delay in results for the first Dems caucus manages to Butterfly Effect into a marginal loss in the general, then the delay in results wasn't the real problem.

Nobody will care about stupid Iowa tabulation issues in 7 days nonetheless in 7 months.

The histrionics need to be toned down.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Oh no, they embarrassed themselves! Of course that portends 1000 years of electoral darkness. 2000 if Phil sees his shadow from the glow of a television playing CNN.

People here are losing their minds over slow caucus results for fucks sake.

If Bernie stubbed his toe walking in the door of the Iowa Dems HQ, you'd have two common refrains:

a) Fucking Dems, they are fucking Bernie again!
b) Shit! Shit! The Republicans are going to use this to enshrine perpetual fascism!

Seriously, a needlessly complex caucus system plus a new polling and tabulating process equals delayed results -- its not the end of the world.

The reactions here to slow results are fucking bonkers.
they had four years to prepare and fucking botched it. no one else is bonkers for their reactions here. who knows if obama happens if he doesn't get to make his iowa victory speech

sometimes, it matters

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
I do not quite understand the issue here. Surely they have counted locally the number of votes, so is this not just an isue of inputting the numbers into an excel sheet, sending them to the head of numbers via email and then merging, what? 700 excel sheets to find the results? How can this take a two digit number of hours?

C-revo

Oct 25, 2017
In the grand scheme of things I don't think Iowa is going to effect how most people vote this cycle. It only really had an impact on 2008 because black (mostly southern) voters saw that white voters would vote for a black candidate. This candidates in this field won't have the same impact.

SJurgenson

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
they had four years to prepare and fucking botched it. no one else is bonkers for their reactions here.

People are in here claiming that the end times are coming because generally older volunteers in Iowa can't correctly use a new smartphone app.

I think that's a bit of a leap of logic, don't you?

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ok, so this is the outcome

1) around 12 hours of "DEMS IN DISARRAY"
2) State of the Union
3) Impeachment Trial Ends 24 hours from now
4) The end of Iowa being the leading state and the end of the caucus
5) Somewhere between 1 and 3 official results are given out and everyone moves on with their lives

Maybe an actual state that better represents the Democratic party will be given first shot to set the state for the primary in the future.

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
I do not quite understand the issue here. Surely they have counted locally the number of votes, so is this not just an isue of inputting the numbers into an excel sheet, sending them to the head of numbers via email and then merging, what? 700 excel sheets to find the results? How can this take a two digit number of hours?
I believe there were 1700 different polling places. From what I understand (and this may be wrong because there's lots of unclear information at the moment), the infrastructure was in place for every precinct to use a new mobile app that would make tallying and centralizing votes easier than ever. However, this app failed and there is not enough staff to verify all the information coming in from the precincts the old fashioned way. A lot of them are calling their results in over the phone, it sounds like. Likely it also isn't just a matter or receiving the information. The information has a documentation process and then that documentation needs to be verified.

Aug 12, 2019
I expected Iowa to be messy this year, but I didn't expect it to be this of an all around farce. Literally none of the process inspires any faith in most of the democratic party, let alone people looking to join the political conversations for the first time. We're getting tons of conflicting reports about who has won and we don't know basically any of the results other than Biden significantly underperforming and Buttigieg overperforming compared to the earlier polls.

Is a straight forward ranked choice vote that impossible of a concept to just implement? For fuck's sake, the United States desperately needs to get its election shit together.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, so this is the outcome

1) around 12 hours of "DEMS IN DISARRAY"
2) State of the Union
3) Impeachment Trial Ends 24 hours from now
4) The end of Iowa being the leading state and the end of the caucus
5) Somewhere between 1 and 3 official results are given out and everyone moves on with their lives

Maybe an actual state that better represents the Democratic party will be given first shot to set the state for the primary in the future.

What if I require more than 24 hours of disarray?

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
they had four years to prepare and fucking botched it. no one else is bonkers for their reactions here. who knows if obama happens if he doesn't get to make his iowa victory speech

sometimes, it matters

Edit: totally misremember the NH 2008 outcome. Hillary won.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I expected Iowa to be messy this year, but I didn't expect it to be this of an all around farce. Literally none of the process inspires any faith in most of the democratic party, let alone people looking to join the political conversations for the first time. We're getting tons of conflicting reports about who has won and we don't know basically any of the results other than Biden significantly underperforming and Buttigieg overperforming compared to the earlier polls.

Is a straight forward ranked choice vote that impossible of a concept to just implement? For fuck's sake, the United States desperately needs to get its election shit together.

Why do people keep saying this.

State parties control the primary process, this has little to do with national parties or the country.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
In the grand scheme of things I don't think Iowa is going to effect how most people vote this cycle. It only really had an impact on 2008 because black (mostly southern) voters saw that white voters would vote for a black candidate. This candidates in this field won't have the same impact.

??? A lot of voters have reservations about both Sanders and Warren's electability in the general, a strong Sanders win in Iowa would encourage people to vote progressive rather than hedging their bets with Biden or Master Splinter.

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017
looks like the classic case of contractor nepotism to me. the Pete payments I assume is for their phone banking but again its just a few people enriching themselves

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this a joke?

A company known as motherfucking "SHADOW INC" that had formerly worked in Hillary's campaign sabotaged the consistency of results in an app?

We really are living in a dystopian nightmare.

SJurgenson

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

"A slow Dem party caucus in a backwater state! Surely this means the entire Dem party can be blamed!"

Status
Not open for further replies.