• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who's Going to Win South Carolina?

• Joe Biden

Votes: 585 39.2%
  • Bernie Sanders

Votes: 853 57.2%
  • Elizabeth Warren

Votes: 24 1.6%
  • Pete Buttigieg

Votes: 7 0.5%
  • THE KLOBBERER

Votes: 16 1.1%
  • Tom Steyer

Votes: 6 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
... I never got around to asking this during the 2016 elections: what's the difference between a caucus and a primary? Why is a caucus so much more prone to, er, whatever happened here?

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Campaigns should not be financially involved with companies working on the mechanisms that will tally up votes. This is something even our dumbass Brazilian democracy has figured out ages ago.
As others have noted he didn't pay for the app tallying the votes. Not that it would make a difference because there's no scenario where he wouldn't get caught rigging the numbers.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
Can we not go insane before the true election even starts? I don't think I'll survive it a second time.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So you're telling me the campaign wasn't financially involved with the company they paid money to.

Alright then.

Read what you want I guess.

You know some of the voting stations were at public schools where some of Pete's staff have kids in attendance. We should shut those schools down too. They're too closely tied to him

Look, friendo, you can backpedal and edit all the posts you want but you can't deny that you boosted a poorly formed conspiracy theory with nothing but your own blind narrative bias for reasoning.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Contrast that with MSNBC where Seder and Hayes commented on how these issues likely always existed and Sanders pushing for more transparency is likely what brought this all to light.
Yeah, there were some people saying that the issues were due to the new rules, but this seems much more believable, reporting three numbers instead of one shouldn't fuck up things, but it did. That means things were fucked before but we didn't know.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
... I never got around to asking this during the 2016 elections: what's the difference between a caucus and a primary? Why is a caucus so much more prone to, er, whatever happened here?

a primary is a normal election. you go, you vote, you leave. a caucus is a dumbass event where you stand in different corners of a high school gym with your candidate's other supporters, people make some speeches to try and get more people to come to their corner, they do a head count, and then every group that has under 15% of the people in the room gets dissolved and they have to go to different corners to support different candidates (or leave). it's basically a really dumb way of doing ranked choice voting.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
if jeff weaver was really all that concerned about caucuses sucking he should have encouraged the bernie supporters on the DNC unity commission to push for them to be eliminated altogether.

Isn't this more of a state thing where Iowa as a state enjoys the attention of the presidential candidates? In that sense we would likely see Democrats and Republican iowan politicians block any attempt to stop caucuses.

Oct 25, 2017
It's an overwhelmingly white, rural state that is not at all representative of the country as a whole.

It's time to move on to a a more representative state with a more democratic process. Iowa was already on thin ice, this fuck-up was just the nail in the coffin.
It's much less rural than you think, and getting more urban every year. Race is only one metric (which is not to say that it isn't important) and it is one that has moved towards the mean since that paper was published.

It doesn't have to be a caucus...could have a primary...or if you like the 2nd choice decisions of caucuses, then do a ranked choice primary....Caucuses are outdated and suppress the voice of people who because of life/jobs can't go to them, etc...
Caucuses are about more than just nominating a presidential candidate. They are party events that determine delegates to county/district/state conventions (and eventually on to the national convention,) develop party platforms, identify potential volunteers, demonstrate campaign organizational strength, and yes, nominate a presidential candidate.

Complaining that they're outdated or non-democratic only makes sense if you think democracy requires a popular vote. Caucuses are meant to do more than what a party can do via a primary.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
So you're telling me the campaign wasn't financially involved with the company they paid money to.

Alright then.
Okay so what's your contention here? Cause it sure seems like you're doing everything short of accusing Petes campaign of benefitting somehow from their "financial involvement". Please, in your words, explain to me how that would play out. What would be this benefit?

Oct 25, 2017

A caucus is a series of public meetings held across a state in gymnasiums, churches, etc. People will make speeches on behalf of the campaigns, People will then be grouped with the candidate they are voting for. If a candidate fails to get 15% of the vote, their people can go with another candidate. This Is used to determine delegate allocations.

(more or less)

Which is why all this rigging conspiracy is kinda dumb because SHOCK the votes are all public. Its just taking an inordinate amount of time to tabulate.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017

Fyi, earlier today Microsoft Teams, ground to a halt cause they forgot to renew a certificate.

We're dealing with choosing a government, stop trying to make excuses for it.
if jeff weaver was really all that concerned about caucuses sucking he should have encouraged the bernie supporters on the DNC unity commission to push for them to be eliminated altogether.

I'm sorry where exactly did Jeff Weaver push to use an app to conduct delegation reporting? I don't know why you're dragging him in this.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Love the level of personal involvement, broken and frustrating as the process might be
I feel like the whole "personal" aspect of the caucus ended up being a lot more lackluster in practice. Our venue was so packed during the first alignment that there was basically no opportunity to actually win people over until the crowd started thinning.

It's also really weird how delegates are chosen at the end. It's basically "Whoever stays can be a delegate".

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
We're dealing with choosing a government, stop trying to make excuses for it.

I'm sorry where exactly did Jeff Weaver push to use an app to conduct delegation reporting? I don't know why you're dragging him in this.

Microsoft, a trillion dollar corporation forgot to renew a ssl certificate that literally grounded a app with 20 million users, most of them part of a business. I'm just saying.

Honestly this isn't a big deal, it's fucking Iowa for crying out loud. (No offense to Iowa but like this stuff seems designed to be funky and uselessly crazy)

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
  • The issue wasn't just the app, in fact they state that was a minor issue, the issue is that this is the first time they're reporting three separate numbers
  • The issue is when they rallied up the numbers, going from first count to second count, there were discrepancies. THIS IS HUMAN ERROR. And like Chris Hayes mentioned, since this is the first time they're counting all three, who knows for how long this has been an issue
  • an unverified tweet claims Petes campaign paid the company which developed the app money. Companies sometimes make more than one product.
  • The Iowa Democratic Party was in charge of this election. Not the DNC.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
a primary is a normal election. you go, you vote, you leave. a caucus is a dumbass event where you stand in different corners of a high school gym with your candidate's other supporters, people make some speeches to try and get more people to come to their corner, they do a head count, and then every group that has under 15% of the people in the room gets dissolved and they have to go to different corners to support different candidates (or leave). it's basically a really dumb way of doing ranked choice voting.
That sounds... really inefficient and prone to errors. Especially if they are literally doing a head count.

They should just straight up use ranked choice voting.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Really is a historic fuck up.

Can't fathom the DNC will let Iowa retain its status as the first to go next time, it was already getting the side eye for being rather, undiverse.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017

in that tweet jeff weaver is quoted as saying "the whole process has been a fraud for a hundred years," which sounds an awful lot to me like he's Big Mad About Caucuses, Not Apps. if he really felt that way he should have pushed to get rid of the process when the DNC literally invited Bernie and Company to help make decisions about this shit.

Remmy2112

Nov 5, 2017

My understanding is that a primary is just like voting in elections, you go in to a polling place, cast your vote, and leave.

With this next paragraph I want to state that I may be wrong about certain parts and invite anyone with more knowledge to correct me.

Caucuses are these local events where everyone who is going to be voting gathers at the polling place and has to remain there, casting their ballots in person, though the means differ. Sometimes it's having everyone stand in groups representing their chosen candidate, other times its actual ballots. In the case of Iowa they say who their first choice is and who their alternate choices are, though there apparently can be changing of minds. Alternate choices exist because if a candidate fails to garner 15% of those assembled at that caucus site then the person needs to pick from the candidates that have hit 15% or higher. The caucus for the Democratic party uses some sort of proportional system for allocating delegates, not a winner take all system.

There have been a lot of complaints about the caucus system over the years. That only the most truly dedicated can do it, as it takes HOURS, in the evening and into the night when people might have other responsibilities, like kids. Primaries are more inclusive. Iowa retains the caucuses because it is part of their political identity and it affords them much greater importance in the candidate selection process than the state should probably have, given their demographics are unrepresentative of the country as a whole. If they went to a primary system they'd no longer be first, since New Hampshire has first dibs under current rules.

GameChanger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020...sques-serve-caucus-sites-200203194831339.html

"Four years ago, Mohamed Ali, a volunteer with the Bernie Sanders campaign, said it was hard getting those in his community to take part in caucuses in the US state of Iowa.

"They just didn't have the confidence" or they felt uncomfortable, Ali, who is a Palestinian-American real estate agent in the Des Moines area, told Al Jazeera by phone. Others, he said, didn't want to be involved in politics for fear of being targeted or discriminated against.

But this year participation of the Arab-Muslim community "has been huge ... it's been really amazing", he said."

I think this year's election is going to have the largest voter turnout in American history.

Oct 25, 2017
A primary is a popular vote for a candidate to be the party's nominee.

A caucus is a party meeting to determine various party business, such as; identifying delegates to county/district/state party conventions, develop platforms, identify potential volunteers, demonstrate campaign organizational strength, and even vote for a presidential candidate to be the party's nominee.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
in that tweet jeff weaver is quoted as saying "the whole process has been a fraud for a hundred years," which sounds an awful lot to me like he's Big Mad About Caucuses, Not Apps. if he really felt that way he should have pushed to get rid of the process when the DNC literally invited Bernie and Company to help make decisions about this shit.

The decision to have a caucus or a primary is a state party decision.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Okay so what's your contention here? Cause it sure seems like you're doing everything short of accusing Petes campaign of benefitting somehow from their "financial involvement". Please, in your words, explain to me how that would play out. What would be this benefit?
I come from a place where no part of the democratic process is handled on a by-contract basis. The idea of a political campaign paying any money to the folks that manufacture our electronic ballot boxes would be absurd, scandalous. (You should get some, by the way. We use them country-wide and results are tallied almost instantly.)

There's no acceptable level for the perception of conflict of interest in the democratic process. "What's up with this?".

Oct 25, 2017
That sounds... really inefficient and prone to errors. Especially if they are literally doing a head count.

They should just straight up use ranked choice voting.

It's... complicated. It all goes back to the fact that political primaries are actually fairly recent developments politically, starting in full swing in 1972. Western and Midwestern states that were more spread out didn't want to pay for separate statewide political primaries, so they went with the caucuses, which sorta existed in one way or form for a while, and shoehorned them into the primary process for actually selecting delegates.

Now that most states do their own non-November statewide elections from time to time its really high time it's been scrapped, but its a tradition at this point.

loquaciousJenny

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Weaver is full of shit anyway, he defended caucuses as being more democratic in 2016 because Hillary was trouncing them everywhere else

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
Good god this is annoying. Par for the course I guess. Just finished Chapo's most recent live show (rad) and Pod Save America's show(like the show but some of the idiots they interview... holy hell). Fuck people in the US (and in general) annoy me.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
I come from a place where no part of the democratic process is handled on a by-contract basis. The idea of a political campaign paying any money to the folks that manufacture our electronic ballot boxes would be absurd, scandalous. (You should get some, by the way. We use them country-wide and results are tallied almost instantly.)

There's no acceptable level for the perception of conflict of interest in the democratic process. "What's up with this?".
What? Why are you ignoring multiple posts telling you that Pete wasn't involved in the process? No one here is even contending that money in politics is good. Pete's campaign paid the company to make an entirely separate app for them and youre continuing to frame it as though he paid them for something to do with the caucus.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's even possible to rig the numbers in a caucus like this.
This is the first year they're NOT just sending in whatever they think the final numbers are. That's why they wanted all these checks and proof this time.

However, this is not the first year they've had to go and wake up precint chairs to get the numbers. This happens with caucuses.

We haven't even gotten to caucuses where local ties are resolved with coin flips.

As for the "small world" factor, it won't be the last time. People will be connected here and there, not everything is a red string leading to "aha!"

This is also not the DNC in operation here. People need to stop doing a disservice to the community by spreading assumptions. There have been problems with caucuses throughout elections past and present, the frustration with them is nothing new in the US.

Kormora

Nov 7, 2017
I have slight faith. There's a paper trail. And literally every single candidate's internal polling. Which will be compared against the results. Also, hundreds of witnesses at from every precinct who can confirm if what's reported is true.

Nothing is going to be rigged in this one. Just Iowa Dems shooting themselves in the foot for being incompetent.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
This is the first year they're NOT just sending in whatever they think the final numbers are. That's why they wanted all these checks and proof this time.

However, this is not the first year they've had to go and wake up precint chairs to get the numbers. This happens with caucuses.

We haven't even gotten to caucuses where local ties are resolved with coin flips.

As for the "small world" factor, it won't be the last time. People will be connected here and there, not everything is a red string leading to "aha!"

This is also not the DNC in operation here. People need to stop doing a disservice to the community by spreading assumptions. There have been problems with caucuses throughout elections past and present, the frustration with them is nothing new in the US.
What would it take for caucuses to stop being a thing altogether? Would it require separate rulings in each State that holds them?

Status
Not open for further replies.