• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who's Going to Win South Carolina?

• Joe Biden

Votes: 585 39.2%
  • Bernie Sanders

Votes: 853 57.2%
  • Elizabeth Warren

Votes: 24 1.6%
  • Pete Buttigieg

Votes: 7 0.5%
  • THE KLOBBERER

Votes: 16 1.1%
  • Tom Steyer

Votes: 6 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
They also all have incentive to lie.
Why lie when it's easily checked against the precinct officers' tally, other well staffed campaigns, and random busybodies who take notes while everyone else is just waiting to get done?

Doesn't Iowa also have a primary later in the process? Maybe scrub the results from tonight (since they'll be questioned anyways) and just go with the primary results. Caucuses are a ridiculous exercise in democracy. Stop over complicating the process, and stick with the primary
We do have primaries in June (part of the reason the caucuses are so early,) but those don't include the presidential contest.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Every so often I refresh and am actively astonished that the reporting % has not updated. They really went out of their way to make all anxiety over this worse, huh.

May 9, 2018
...??
I'm confused. But this appears to be unrelated then.

minimaxir Please re-tweet more responsibly next time then.

Edit: welp, tweet deleted...
Edit 2: reposted? Anyway yeah this is why you don't drop random tweets from random people folks
Well that's a first; most people would have deleted the tweet as soon as there was confusion (don't think it's unrelated, just an incomplete argument). Editing original post.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With all this business about the app, isn't there a paper trail for the Caucus tonight? Perhaps they should just rely on that.
That's what they're doing, but they weren't equipped to deal with that because everyone was planning on the app. In the past they had used telephones, but that also raised questions about transparency. So this year none of that infrastructure is in place and now they're scrambling.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
A few things that are disturbing to me:

1) Turnout numbers are flat with 2016. White America doesn't seem to be particularly invested in dislodging Trump.

2) Bernie got 49% of Iowa in 2016. Obviously there are more candidates now, but I had assumed Bernie's support was pretty ride or die, and it's clearly not.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
This is some shit

What's up with Pete's campaign putting money into that app?
records show pete's campaign gave money to the same organization that created the app; that doesn't mean pete's campaign funded the app. they most likely contracted with them to provide some other service. anyway the implication that pete secretly plotted to make the app a clusterfuck so he could declare victory is absurd and should not be taken seriously by anyone.

Last edited:

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Are you Americans seriously using an app to vote in this caucus?
No, the app is used for reporting results. The actual Iowa Caucus process is pretty silly though.
Each precinct divides its delegate seats among the candidates in proportion to caucus goers' votes. Participants indicate their support for a particular candidate by standing in a designated area of the caucus site (forming a preference group). An area may also be designated for undecided participants. Then, for roughly 30 minutes, participants try to convince their neighbors to support their candidates. Each preference group might informally deputize a few members to recruit supporters from the other groups and, in particular, from among those undecided. Undecided participants might visit each preference group to ask its members about their candidate.

After 30 minutes, the electioneering is temporarily halted, and the supporters for each candidate are counted. At this point, the caucus officials determine which candidates are viable. Depending on the number of county delegates to be elected, the viability threshold is 15% of attendees. For a candidate to receive any delegates from a particular precinct, he or she must have the support of at least the percentage of participants required by the viability threshold. Once viability is determined, participants have roughly another 30 minutes to realign: although supporters of viable candidates are locked in to their choice, the supporters of inviable candidates may find a viable candidate to support, join together with supporters of another inviable candidate to secure a delegate for one of the two, or abstain. This realignment is a distinction of caucuses in that (unlike in a primary) a voter's second choice can help a candidate.

When the voting is closed, a final head count is conducted, and each precinct apportions delegates to the county convention. These numbers are reported to the state party, which counts the total number of delegates for each candidate and reports the results to the media. Most of the participants go home, leaving a few to finish the business of the caucus: each preference group elects its delegates, and then the groups reconvene to elect local party officers and discuss the platform. The delegates chosen by the precinct then go to a later caucus, the county convention, to choose delegates to the district convention and state convention. Most of the delegates to the Democratic National Convention are selected at the district convention, with the remaining ones selected at the state convention. Delegates to each level of convention are initially bound to support their chosen candidate but can later switch in a process very similar to what occurs at the precinct level; however, as major shifts in delegate support are rare, the media declares the candidate with the most delegates on the precinct caucus night the winner, and relatively little attention is paid to the later caucuses.

loquaciousJenny

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, fuck him. Why don't you look up why black folks don't like this guy.
That has literally nothing to do with y'all having a fit over him calling his own victory so go take a walk.
There are plenty of completely reasonable reasons to dislike him and you using them as a bat to bludgeon people for telling you when you're wrong only lessens their impact.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017

1) Turnout numbers are flat with 2016. White America doesn't seem to be particularly invested in dislodging Trump.

2) Bernie got 49% of Iowa in 2016. Obviously there are more candidates now, but I had assumed Bernie's support was pretty ride or die, and it's clearly not.

yeah i mean you were definitely underestimating some of bernie's support was "anyone but clinton"

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
This is some shit

What's up with Pete's campaign putting money into that app?
Mr. CIA did this AND declared victory without any public numbers? You Americans get how this looks, right? If it was Venezuela, a large number of you would be calling rigged election, for regime change, and already be lining up a winner to install.

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017

35k people showing up to vote for trump is most disturbing to me. That's over 3 times more than obama got as incumbent if I'm reading that right. What the hell who are these people

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Mr. CIA did this AND declared victory without any public numbers? You Americans get how this looks, right? If it was Venezuela, a large number of you would be calling rigged election, for regime change, and already be lining up a winner to install.
Shit, you're right, we need to remove Pete Buttigieg from all the offices he currently holds!

Kayla

Oct 28, 2017
So when the actual results are released.... what's going to happen? What will the narrative be

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017

Primary turnout is always way lower than the general election. We'll see how fired up people get when the prospect of a Trump season 2 gets closer to reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.