• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who's Going to Win South Carolina?

• Joe Biden

Votes: 585 39.2%
  • Bernie Sanders

Votes: 853 57.2%
  • Elizabeth Warren

Votes: 24 1.6%
  • Pete Buttigieg

Votes: 7 0.5%
  • THE KLOBBERER

Votes: 16 1.1%
  • Tom Steyer

Votes: 6 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Looking forward to Bernie winning and seeing the media freak out

iSWxsRN.png

Morrison71

Oct 27, 2017
Going to go caucus for Bernie in David Johnson's hometown of Clinton. Pretty pumped for this, my first caucus. I've always been registered independent but voted Democratic. Finally felt the need to change my party affiliation.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Thankfully, we really only have another month of this -- Super Tuesday is on March 3, 2020.

At this point, anyone's fine with me, although it's looking like my choices have been successively eliminated (Beto, then Pete, then Warren). I admit it would be great if Biden got Kobbered.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thankfully, we really only have another month of this -- Super Tuesday is on March 3, 2020.

Even Super Tuesday may not end it. If Biden doesn't collapse and still holds the loyalty of the South, but Bernie gets California and a few other states, it will be a delegate battle.

Or Warren might do great tonight and the whole narrative shifts.

digit_zero

Oct 27, 2017
As someone whose biggest hope this primary season was anyone but Biden/Bernie emerge as the front runner, I'm expecting tonight to be the final nail in the coffin for my hopes. I mean realistically they are already dead unless Warren wins today somehow.

OP
OP
Poodlestrike

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Looking good for my girl Liz in that latest Iowa poll! She and Bernie split the delegates coming out of Iowa, I think there's a real shot one of 'em ends up with the plurality going into the convention.

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018

Here's my takes on those numbers:

1. I'm a big Bernie fan so "nice" to his numbers there.

2. Bidens number is the biggest shocker. What if he's actually much more unpopular than the media has lead us to believe? What if he's not the solid fall back we think he is? I'm voting blue no matter who in the end but, what if our strongest is that bad? Hoping tonights real results prove us wrong on that.

I want Bernie to win, but I sure as hell don't want to see Biden to look that weak. If that's what it is though, let's push our progressives as hard as possible to the end.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
Those leaked poll results are nuts. Didn't it take into account like new caucusers or people who usually don't but say they are? I'd imagine that would be bad for Biden. I would love either Bernie or Warren in first place.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Here's my takes on those numbers:

1. I'm a big Bernie fan so "nice" to his numbers there.

2. Bidens number is the biggest shocker. What if he's actually much more unpopular than the media has lead us to believe? What if he's not the solid fall back we think he is? I'm voting blue no matter who in the end but, what if our strongest is that bad? Hoping tonights real results prove us wrong on that.

I want Bernie to win, but I sure as hell don't want to see Biden to look that weak. If that's what it is though, let's push our progressives as hard as possible to the end.

IMO, the social security stuff got him.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
It's too early to extrapolate anything, but I've long held the opinion that lack of passion for Biden would be his downfall.

We'll see what happens in other states.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
As someone whose biggest hope this primary season was anyone but Biden/Bernie emerge as the front runner, I'm expecting tonight to be the final nail in the coffin for my hopes. I mean realistically they are already dead unless Warren wins today somehow.
It's just iowa

unless the winner is by 10 points, I don't think today matters much.

OP
OP
Poodlestrike

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Worth noting, the winner in Iowa only wins about 50% of the time. A little less, actually. The primary season is definitely not over tonight, excepting for some candidates under some circumstances. If Pete gets shut out, for instance, he probably just drops. He built his whole campaign around Iowa and to a lesser extent NH at this point, no delegates here means he's pretty much toast.
Isn't this the poll that was randomly omitting candidates from the questionnaire?
Okay, so what happened is real dumb. One of the callers working on the DMR poll had poor vision, so they increased the font size. As a result, the name of some of the candidates were pushed off a few of the questions and didn't get read off. An eagle-eyed (eared?) Pete supporter noticed the omission and called up the campaign, they raised a stink about it, and the poll got put on hold. In theory, the candidate name order is randomized, so the effect should have hit everybody equally overall, but without any definitive proof of that they decided to just cancel the whole thing.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Geez.. Policy debates aside I feel really bad for Joe Biden. He so did not have to put himself through this.

Honestly, I don't hate the guy nearly as much as a lot of people on Era do, but this is how I feel too. I feel like he never completely recovered from Beau's death and has overall seemed pretty apathetic this entire race. Feel like he was pushed into this by the DNC but never really had his heart in it.

Aug 12, 2019
Of all of the senator candidates, she most vastly outperformed the partisan lean of her state, and in a vital Midwest swing state.

We're talking about Minnesota though, which has a pretty solid blue firewall even if they've come close to leaning Red several times. She might be able to successfully wield some midwestern charm, but she'll get destroyed basically everywhere else. She's too uncharismatic and right leaning to win over the coastal areas and she doesn't have the charm or name recognition in the South to put up any kind of an offensive against areas that already lean to Trump and non-establishment figures.

Her "blizzard joke" alone is proof that she couldn't handle Trump. It's a wooden attempt at cozy midwestern humor that shows how rehearsed she is to a ridiculous degree and its one of the weakest ways I've ever seen any candidates try to poke at Trump. And that alone would be devastatingly bad to put against Trump who will literally attempt to maul every single candidate he's up against.

Starmud

Oct 27, 2017
every cycle you get to see the same groups flip on caucuses being trash or not depending on if their candidate does well. as much as my inner political junkie loves watching it all, i'd be happier to see them gone... of course theres value in doing well tonight but its the first word in a story to come,

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
Worth noting, the winner in Iowa only wins about 50% of the time. A little less, actually. The primary season is definitely not over tonight, excepting for some candidates under some circumstances. If Pete gets shut out, for instance, he probably just drops. He built his whole campaign around Iowa and to a lesser extent NH at this point, no delegates here means he's pretty much toast.

Okay, so what happened is real dumb. One of the callers working on the DMR poll had poor vision, so they increased the font size. As a result, the name of some of the candidates were pushed off a few of the questions and didn't get read off. An eagle-eyed (eared?) Pete supporter noticed the omission and called up the campaign, they raised a stink about it, and the poll got put on hold. In theory, the candidate name order is randomized, so the effect should have hit everybody equally overall, but without any definitive proof of that they decided to just cancel the whole thing.

Well, it would skew towards candidates with more name recognition. The caller might forget to read a Biden or a Bernie, but the recipient will be more likely to still say Biden or Bernie, over a Pete or a Steyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.