• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who's Going to Win South Carolina?

• Joe Biden

Votes: 585 39.2%
  • Bernie Sanders

Votes: 853 57.2%
  • Elizabeth Warren

Votes: 24 1.6%
  • Pete Buttigieg

Votes: 7 0.5%
  • THE KLOBBERER

Votes: 16 1.1%
  • Tom Steyer

Votes: 6 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crimsonskies

Alt account
Banned
Nov 1, 2019
Looking at the Bloomberg and Joe Biden Clip you Americans sure pick some weird ass people to represent you.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
That any candidate have a plan that aligns with what the UN and other environmental organizations and scientists have told us is the bare minimum to save the planet. Joe's plan is nowhere close to that.

If this is the case then no one should feel bad for not voting for him in the general, or any Dem candidate for that matter given it doesn't matter and everything is fucked.

I mean, we are fucked if (mostly) white non-college educated working class men have a major position of power within the Democratic coalition, as Bernie Sanders and many of his supporters believe. After all, can't be much of a voice of all of the working class if members of the working class, including union members, can rightly say that the President is trying to put them out of work.

Now, on the other hand, a coalition of suburban left-to-centrist moderates who are left-leaning on social issues, and frankly, pretty left-leaning on most economic issues, is probably a better idea, but of course, some of those people have careers and don't subscribe to every tent of modern Twitter leftism, even though all the evidence shows they are not opponents of economic populism (nymag.com/intelligencer/2018/04/affluent-democrats-arent-an-obstacle-to-economic-populism.html), might help us be fucked slightly less, but then you might have to ally with Wine Moms and much of the Left seems very unenthused to do that, for a variety of socioeconomic and other odd reasons.

Deleted member 18324

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, we are fucked if (mostly) white non-college educated working class men have a major position of power within the Democratic coalition, as Bernie Sanders and many of his supporters believe. After all, can't be much of a voice of all of the working class if members of the working class, including union members, can rightly say that the President is trying to put them out of work.

Now, on the other hand, a coalition of suburban left-to-centrist moderates who are left-leaning on social issues, and frankly, pretty left-leaning on most economic issues, is probably a better idea, but of course, some of those people have careers and don't subscribe to every tent of modern Twitter leftism, even though all the evidence shows they are not opponents of economic populism (nymag.com/intelligencer/2018/04/affluent-democrats-arent-an-obstacle-to-economic-populism.html), might help us be fucked slightly less, but then you might have to ally with Wine Moms and much of the Left seems very unenthused to do that, for a variety of socioeconomic and other odd reasons.

People who are "left-leaning on social issues, and frankly, pretty left-leaning on most economic issues" ARE THE EXISTING DEMOCRAT BASE. They aren't going anywhere no matter how much you fantasise that "Bernie Bros" dunking on Neera Tanden on Twitter is somehow driving these people to Trump.

OP
OP
Poodlestrike

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

I love this idea for reasons I can't quite articulate but they go a lot like "steam out of people's ears"

Joe Biden won't commit to backing Bernie Sanders if he wins the Democratic presidential nomination

Ahhhhhhh this absolute fuckstick.

I gotta say, this is a real sore spot for me. Anybody who would vote for a Generic Dem but ends up staying home in November doesn't is, mathematically, exactly the same as a swing or habitual nonvoter who turns out for Trump. Some people have really good reasons - I'm not going to lecture black people on voting for the guy who sponsored the crime bill, and of course voting in a lot of states is made as difficult as possible. But the "ah, I just don't feel it" crowd? Fuck 'em.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
People who are "left-leaning on social issues, and frankly, pretty left-leaning on most economic issues" ARE THE EXISTING DEMOCRAT BASE. They aren't going anywhere no matter how much you fantasise that "Bernie Bros" dunking on Neera Tanden on Twitter is somehow driving these people to Trump.

Well, the Bernie Sanders campaigns seems centered on lessening the power of those suburban voters, by getting more rural voters who are right-leaning on social issues and left-leaning on economic issues, as long as those economics are helpful to them specifically.

I also agree that those people will be chased out of the party, but I do find it interesting that so many Bernie supporters think that a Democratic coalition consisting of more Joe Rogan fans and less "PMC's" will be a good thing in the long term.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Looks like Biden didn't say he wouldn't support the nominee, just that he wasn't sure if Sanders was the nominee he'd be able to unify the party.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
... So it actually turns out that story was Biden saying whether he thinks Bernie can unite the party and not saying he wouldn't back him. Wow, that's a fuck-up from AP. Like wtf.

discotheque

Dec 23, 2019
Oh wow, that writer fucked up. There was no way to tell that was the actual context from the original article. I've edited my post.

Deleted member 18502

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Biden will be so easy to run against in the general. He wants to take you back to when America was a laughingstock, nobody respected us, nobody paid their fair share, the deep state ran wild and on and on and on.

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
but I do find it interesting that so many Bernie supporters think that a Democratic coalition consisting of more Joe Rogan fans and less "PMC's" will be a good thing in the long term.
The Bernie campaign realizes most American voters-to-be are like Joe Rogan. They're simply able to get these people to vote (or, they're trying to) instead of the usual Dem strategy of ignoring most of the undecided voters and preaching to the choir. Seems to be working?

Just FYI I am not a fan of Rogan, his views, or the endorsement... but it could get more Dem votes in November. Bernie himself has been pro-trans rights since before it was even politically feasible (80s, 90s), so not to worried there.

Deleted member 18324

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, the Bernie Sanders campaigns seems centered on lessening the power of those suburban voters, by getting more rural voters who are right-leaning on social issues and left-leaning on economic issues, as long as those economics are helpful to them specifically.

They're trying to get more voters in states they need to win the presidency, what the fuck are you talking about?

I also agree that those people will be chased out of the party, but I do find it interesting that so many Bernie supporters think that a Democratic coalition consisting of more Joe Rogan fans and less "PMC's" will be a good thing in the long term.

I wasn't saying they were going to be chased out of the party so why are you agreeing with me? People who you said were "left-leaning on social issues, and frankly, pretty left-leaning on most economic issues" are going absolutely nowhere except the Democratic party.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The Bernie campaign realizes most American voters-to-be are like Joe Rogan. They're simply able to get these people to vote (or, they're trying to) instead of the usual Dem strategy of ignoring most of the undecided voters and preaching to the choir. Seems to be working?

Just FYI I am not a fan of Rogan, his views, or the endorsement... but it could get more Dem votes in November. Bernie himself has been pro-trans rights since before it was even politically feasible (80s, 90s), so not to worried there.

Among non-voters who might actually be effective long-term members of the Democratic coalition, I think a campaign on getting minority voters who didn't vote in 2016 will be far better than chasing after Rogan voters, and other white non-college educated males. Also, preaching to the choir came within a few thousand votes of working in 2016 despite a bad candidate, and largely worked in 2018, even as very online leftists acted like Democrat's were blowing it.

Plus, Bernie's actual history on LGBT rights is far more complicated than the straight ahead tribune of LGBT rights that people try to hail him for - I think he'll be fine on the issue, just like every non-Tulsi Democrat would be, but I also think there's no absolutely zero reason to signal boost a racist transphobe just because he said nice thing about you.

I wasn't saying they were going to be chased out of the party so why are you agreeing with me? People who you said were "left-leaning on social issues, and frankly, pretty left-leaning on most economic issues" are going absolutely nowhere except the Democratic party.

I agree, but a lot of online leftists seem far more comfortable dealing with people who like Joe Rogan than people who like Elizabeth Warren or gasp, Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama, and would rather, in their perfect world, build a coalition around those people who like Joe Rogan than those people who like Hillary Clinton.

Deleted member 18324

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 week): ignoring the staff post with several aggressive posts in the thread
Among non-voters who might actually be effective long-term members of the Democratic coalition, I think a campaign on getting minority voters who didn't vote in 2016 will be far better than chasing after Rogan voters, and other white non-college educated males. Also, preaching to the choir came within a few thousand votes of working in 2016 despite a bad candidate, and largely worked in 2018, even as very online leftists acted like Democrat's were blowing it.

Plus, Bernie's actual history on LGBT rights is far more complicated than the straight ahead tribune of LGBT rights that people try to hail him for - I think he'll be fine on the issue, just like every non-Tulsi Democrat would be, but I also think there's no absolutely zero reason to signal boost a racist transphobe just because he said nice thing about you.

I agree, but a lot of online leftists seem far more comfortable dealing with people who like Joe Rogan than people who like Elizabeth Warren or gasp, Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama, and would rather, in their perfect world, build a coalition around those people who like Joe Rogan than those people who like Hillary Clinton.

This is deranged. How about you name the progressive policies the Sanders campaign has jettisoned in order to capture the mythical Joe Rogan voter? It's funny that you try and bring up LGBT rights as some kind of smear against Sanders when the Democratic party carried out the exact same thing you're trying to insinuate - they kept their finger on the scale against gay marriage for as long as possible in presidential campaigns (in order to court socially conservative voters) and only "evolved on the issue" when it was completely politically safe to do so.

So why is it ok for the Democratic party to actually DROP progressive policy to court white working class voters but it is not ok for Sanders to court white working class voters without actually changing his progressive platform at all?

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This is deranged. How about you name the progressive policies the Sanders campaign has jettisoned in order to capture the mythical Joe Rogan voter? It's funny that you try and bring up LGBT rights as some kind of smear against Sanders when the Democratic party carried out the exact same thing you're trying to insinuate - they kept their finger on the scale against gay marriage for as long as possible in presidential campaigns (in order to court socially conservative voters) and only "evolved on the issue" when it was completely politically safe to do so.

So why is it ok for the Democratic party to actually DROP progressive policy to court white working class voters but it is not ok for Sanders to court white working class voters without actually changing his progressive platform at all?

They've dropped the policy of 'not embracing transphobic racists who believed the former Democratic President wasn't born here.'

To answer your question - Democrat's in the past dropped policies because it would hurt other positive policies they could do that would help people. Now, you can disagree about their specific decisions, but they can also point to things their administrations did that helped various groups of people, even if they backed off the most progressive opinion, much like Bernie Sanders did in 2006, when he said gay marriage would be too divisive. I don't think Bernie is a bad person for that belief. I don't even think he was wrong.

On the other hand, there's zero evidence, outside of the fantasies of Jacobin writers and Twitter leftists that Joe Rogan saying nice things about you, in between nodding along to conservations about Muslim's inbreeding and talking about how SJW's are ruining comedy, will actually move votes and actually help people in the long-run. In reality, all it will lead to is at best, conversations where Joe Rogan supporters say they can't be transphobic because they voted for Bernie, right before they use a transphobic slur or push forward another racist or sexist conspiracy.

Dozens of Democratic congressional candidates won Trump-friendly districts in 2018 without embracing a transphobic racist who openly believed in a conspiracy that the former Democratic President wasn't born here. Why can't Bernie?

Oct 25, 2017
Someone jumped the gun on the last debate thread, but I made this for that. Adjusted for the caucus.

So they're finally here, performing for you
If you know the words, you can join in too
Put your hands together, if you want to clap
As we take you through this Demo-rap!
Huh!

[Chorus]
IOWA
CAUCUS TIME!

yPSz3N9.png

He's the leader of the bunch, you know him well
Third time's the charm to kick some tail
His gaffes at times may fire in spurts
But when he beats ya, it's gonna hurt!
He's bigger, faster, and stronger too
He's the first member of the DNC crew!
Huh!

[Chorus]
IOWA
CAUCUS TIME!
IOWA
CAUCUS TIME IS HERE!

Sevqqo2.png

This one's got style, so listen up dudes
She can throw some staplers, to suit her mood
She's quick and nimble when she needs to be
She can comb up salad with relative ease!
If you choose her, you'll not choose wrong
With a skip and a hop, she's one cool mom!
Huh!

[Chorus]
IOWA!
CAUCUS TIME!

heN99ur.png

He has no style, he has no grace
Th-this guy has some birdies to chase!
He medicare plan will cure your booboo
He'll cancel all debt, just for you
Inflate the debt just like a balloon
This crazy one sings to his own tune!
Huh!

[Chorus]
IOWA
CAUCUS TIME!
IOWA
CAUCUS TIME IS HERE!

61gPJlQ.png

He's back again and ready to burst
From the large city (three hundred and first!)
He can fly real high around South Bend
Searching for his one African American friend!
He'll make you smile when he plays his tune
But progressives beware 'cause he's after you!
Huh!

[Chorus]
IOWA!
CAUCUS TIME!

glFmtET.png

Finally, she's here for you
It's the last member of the DNC crew!
Her running for Prez sure isn't funny
Has tons of proposals 'cause she ain't dummy
Can craft up a plan with relative ease
Makes good progress seem such a breeze
She may move slow, she can't jump high
But at 70 young, she's still so spry!

(and the rest...)
*resists urge to fact check*

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Someone jumped the gun on the last debate thread, but I made this for that. Adjusted for the caucus.

So they're finally here, performing for you
If you know the words, you can join in too
Put your hands together, if you want to clap
As we take you through this Demo-rap!
Huh!

[Chorus]
IOWA
CAUCUS TIME!

yPSz3N9.png

He's the leader of the bunch, you know him well
Third time's the charm to kick some tail
His gaffes at times may fire in spurts
But when he beats ya, it's gonna hurt!
He's bigger, faster, and stronger too
He's the first member of the DNC crew!
Huh!

[Chorus]
IOWA
CAUCUS TIME!
IOWA
CAUCUS TIME IS HERE!

Sevqqo2.png

This one's got style, so listen up dudes
She can throw some staplers, to suit her mood
She's quick and nimble when she needs to be
She can comb up salad with relative ease!
If you choose her, you'll not choose wrong
With a skip and a hop, she's one cool mom!
Huh!

[Chorus]
IOWA!
CAUCUS TIME!

heN99ur.png

He has no style, he has no grace
Th-this guy has some birdies to chase!
He medicare plan will cure your booboo
He'll cancel all debt, just for you
Inflate the debt just like a balloon
This crazy one sings to his own tune!
Huh!

[Chorus]
IOWA
CAUCUS TIME!
IOWA
CAUCUS TIME IS HERE!

61gPJlQ.png

He's back again and ready to burst
From the large city (three hundred and first!)
He can fly real high around South Bend
Searching for his one African American friend!
He'll make you smile when he plays his tune
But progressives beware 'cause he's after you!
Huh!

[Chorus]
IOWA!
CAUCUS TIME!

glFmtET.png

Finally, she's here for you
It's the last member of the DNC crew!
Her running for Prez sure isn't funny
Has tons of proposals 'cause she ain't dummy
Can craft up a plan with relative ease
Makes good progress seem such a breeze
She may move slow, she can't jump high