• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who's Going to Win South Carolina?

• Joe Biden

Votes: 585 39.2%
  • Bernie Sanders

Votes: 853 57.2%
  • Elizabeth Warren

Votes: 24 1.6%
  • Pete Buttigieg

Votes: 7 0.5%
  • THE KLOBBERER

Votes: 16 1.1%
  • Tom Steyer

Votes: 6 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure why people are still acting like Biden is absolutely done this early on. If he's performing like this in the south, yeah you have a point. This early on...what?
someone being argued as the electability candidate polling fourth in Iowa and New Hampshire is terrible. He might pick himself back up, but a major assumption that was sucking oxygen from other candidates is now gone

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pete is performing exactly how he aimed to. He is gunning for that VP slot. He gambled everything on a Quick flash in the pan start to the season where he gets tons of headlines

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Not sure why people are still acting like Biden is absolutely done this early on. If he's performing like this in the south, yeah you have a point. This early on...what?

You're absolutely right, Biden is still a threat. That said, I don't think anybody foresaw him performing this poorly in the north.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
It isn't interesting because it's not 2016 and there are 4x as many candidates splitting the vote. Characterizing this as "Sanders voters not showing up" is disingenuous bullshit and you should be embarrassed.

The 2016 percentages do not matter. What matters is who wins the primaries now. It's a different field with different dynamics.
Look at the graph again.

www.resetera.com

Democratic Presidential Primary |February OT| It Can't be Worse than Iowa, Right? (Discussion Guidelines in OP)

Interesting data from exit polls (via 538) - looks like 2016 Bernie voters aren't really showing up? He got 60% of the vote last time, so like half of his voters just didn't bother coming out. Did they think it was all locked up or something? Very strange.

Sanders won 60% of the vote in 2016. In the exit polls only 30% of the voters said they voted for Sanders in 2016, while 50% said they voted for Clinton. Where are the rest of the Sanders supporters?

The current votes and number of candidates are irrelevant. Even if Sanders had 99% of the vote and was the only candidate 2016 Sanders voters would STILL be missing. So turnout for Sanders should have been better.

If anything this is a positive for Sanders because he should get more support in NH in the general than he is during the primary.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
As I recall the more urban districts report later in the evening because they have way more work to do than the small rural districts that have reported so far. If you're worried about Bernie's lead or trying to predict how this will play out, just remember that many young, urban votes are not on the boards yet.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Well, Sanders fan, enjoy the next five months of getting buried in hundreds of millions of dollars in ads by Bloomberg, and being called sexists by a female candidate who has no reason not to go full blowtorch during the primary. The fact the final 3 'moderates' will be Bloomberg, Pete, and Klob instead of Beto, Booker, and Harris sure says a lot.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Why, both Iowa and NH are terrible representations of the dem base
huh? you misinterpreted my post. it has nothing to do with the state. biden has a long relationship with the black voter base of the party but has done nothing to deserve the minority support he does get.

now he's running off there as his firewall. it's slimy

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
huh? you misinterpreted my post. it has nothing to do with the state. biden has a long relationship with the black voter base of the party but has done nothing to deserve the minority support he does get.
Well sure but I mean when he's competing with fucking Pete and Bloomberg....

madstarr12

Jan 25, 2018
I dunno, but I expected Bernie to win by a larger margin, but we'll see. Pete seems to be doing okay in Bernie-land along the Vermont-NH border.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Sanders won 60% of the vote in 2016. In the exit polls only 30% of the voters said they voted for Sanders in 2016, while 50% said they voted for Clinton. Where are the rest of the Sanders supporters?

The current votes and number of candidates are irrelevant. Even if Sanders had 99% of the vote and was the only candidate 2016 Sanders voters would STILL be missing. So turnout for Sanders should have been better.
Last time if you were a progressive, disliked Clinton, or just didn't want a dynasty candidate to be anointed, Sanders was your only choice. Some people were hardcore Sanders fans, but the majority were just 'not Clinton, for various reasons' votes.

This time all those people have options.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well, Sanders fan, enjoy the next five months of getting buried in hundreds of millions of dollars in ads by Bloomberg, and being called sexists by a female candidate who has no reason not to go full blowtorch during the primary. The fact the final 3 'moderates' will be Bloomberg, Pete, and Klob instead of Beto, Booker, and Harris sure says a lot.
Its gonna be ok lol

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Well sure but I mean when he's competing with fucking Pete and Bloomberg....
yes, true. they're all equally as terrible.

which is why i desperately hope bernie tries and goes there. he'll break through eventually. they just need to trust that he can beat trump. and the polling backs up that he can.

This is eating crackers territory.
LMFAO hell no.

biden's terrible and i hope he gets his lunch eaten in south carolina

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Biden placing all his eggs in SC would probably work if he was placing 2nd or 3rd in these other states instead of 5th

the_id

Oct 25, 2017

Washington Post reporters are really young. Glad to see one of the most respected papers have young people on the front lines.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
No.

Last time if you were a progressive, disliked Clinton, or just didn't want a dynasty candidate to be anointed, Sanders was your only choice. Some people were hardcore Sanders fans, but the majority were just 'not Clinton, for various reasons' votes.

This time all those people have options.
That's not what the graph is showing!

Clinton voters from 2016 are significantly outnumbering Sanders supporters from 2016 even though Sanders won that race by 60%. That indicates the Sanders 2016 base didn't turnout. Again, assuming that graph is accurate.

And like I said in the edit, that's not even a bad thing for Sanders because he's still about to win NH and still has a lot of support that didn't show today.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People like 8 days ago weren't even saying he had a path going forward in these -first 2 contests-.

A lot of shit can change quickly. First it was Pete, then it was Klob. Nothing would surprise me at this point.
nobody was saying that. pete has been competitive in the first two contests, especially iowa, forever.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone saying Pete had no path in Iowa was being delusional. The man spent 99% of his campaign in Iowa. His entire Campaign strategy was to create a bunch of hype out the gate and ride to the VP nomination

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
People like 8 days ago weren't even saying he had a path going forward in these -first 2 contests-.

A lot of shit can change quickly. First it was Pete, then it was Klob. Nothing would surprise me at this point.

no they absolutely were not, at least not those who have been paying attention. Pete was all in on Iowa and was projected to have a real shot, even leading in some early polls. The caucus format benefitted him and gave him the push he needed to just barely edge Bernie. Given the win there he got a boost in NH which made this somewhat close in NH, but Bernies win here and his terrible polling in the upcoming states will show itself.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
With Amy eating up all of Warren's college educated female voters, can we finally kill and bury the meme that there's this strict two-lane race where it's Sanders + Warren vs Biden + Buttigieg + Klobuchar with no crossover between the lanes?

Status
Not open for further replies.