• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who's Going to Win South Carolina?

• Joe Biden

Votes: 585 39.2%
  • Bernie Sanders

Votes: 853 57.2%
  • Elizabeth Warren

Votes: 24 1.6%
  • Pete Buttigieg

Votes: 7 0.5%
  • THE KLOBBERER

Votes: 16 1.1%
  • Tom Steyer

Votes: 6 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
It's important to remember during her surge that polls showed Warren was actually winning among Bernie 2016 voters.

I would link the start of her downfall to the Bernie heart attack/AOC endorsement making those voters come back to him, even if polling didn't immediately show it.
This is part of what I'm saying, yes.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Sanders and Buttigieg leading in states like Iowa and New Hampshire comes as no surprises given their leanings and demographics, but I'd be lying if I said Klobuchar of all people being relevant makes even the slightest bit of sense to me.

Byakuya769

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Klobuchar has VP material written all over her; she's very articulate and would benefit Bernie by getting the moderate vote.

0% chance Bernie chooses her and she wouldn't bring along any moderates anyway. She's a long shot candidate that's not particularly well-regarded. If that's what he wants (he doesn't), he'd go elsewhere.

eebster

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It certainly did not sound like Warren would endorse Bernie when she drops out. If I had to guess it would be either Klobacher or nobody

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Between this speech and her debate lines, Warren seems to be going hard on anti-corruption, which is a good issue for her but I think too little too late.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Warren was a weird candidate. She was too left to get centrists... But wanted to not go as far as Bernie and wound up being in a middle of the road position no one wanted to strongly support.

I think her bet is still that centrists choose her over Bernie if he appears to become the front-runner.

Honestly this may turn into the 2016 R primary where Bernie winds up in the Trump position of having a different main rival in every state but is always 1 or 2 and then eventually gains popular support. Before I get yelled at I am not comparing him to Trump just the sort of insurgent candidacy in a large field effect we saw.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
This is not it and you should be embarrassed for thinking this.
It absolutely is and you should be embarrassed for not seeing it. There isn't anything controversial with what I said.

People are scared of nominating a woman.

She hit peak and was smashed with electability attacks really quickly when it showed she had a good path.

Sanders turnaround comeback fucked with her momentum at the exact right time.

How is this controversial?

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Sad for Warren. I've donated to her campaign, but while I firmly believe she would have made the best president, Liz is a terrible campaigner with limited political savvy. This isn't unexpected, but it's depressing.

Oct 26, 2017
I saw this from the beginning with Warren, she's done a lot of good but I think she needs to face the facts and back Bernie before super Tuesday.

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
She's a woman and now voters mentally equate nominating a woman with four years of hell. They're scared shitless.

On top of that it seemed like a lot of moderates and media got scared when she hit peak and it looked like she had a good path to do well and unite the factions, so she was attacked pretty hard.

Then somehow Bernie turned having a fucking heart attack into some big comeback and that was the dagger. Women have to be perfect and old dudes can literally be practically dying and it doesn't matter.
Embarrassing post.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Crazy a few weeks ago we had people still contending that Sanders should drop out for Warren and now Warren might not even make it to Super Tuesday.
Bernie was never going to drop out early. No matter the circumstances.
And certainly not to endorse Warren.

Especially seeing how he doesn't believe a woman can win the presidency.
I mean, if Hillary couldn't do it after besting his great self... what woman could hope to?

Besides which, Warren is too good for the States and just wants to see her policies adopted.
She needed to have more of an ego to pull out the stops to persevere here.

(And I say all of the above as someone whose preferred candidate is Warren... and as someone that would have backed Sanders in New Hampshire today.)

Biden tanked. He shouldn't have ran, it's ruined his credibility.
Obama warned him. Unfortunately, good luck telling that stubborn old codger Joe what to do. He thinks he knows better than anyone.

Last edited:

RussTC3

Banned
Nov 28, 2018
So some quick math from the exits posted above:

unknown.png

Sanders 26.1%
Buttigieg 22.2%
Klobuchar 21.3%
Biden 10.0%
Warren 8.8%
Gabbard 3.6%
Yang 3.1%
Steyer 2.8%

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I had a slight preference for Warren over Bernie, but hey, Bernie it is. Go Bernie!

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
Welp, bummed with Warren's loss here. Sanders will definitely welcome her with open arms in a cabinet seat though if Sanders wins the GE

She can definitely crackdown on corruption there, nationwide

Weston

Oct 29, 2017
Sen. Elizabeth Warren's campaign manager, Roger Lau, emailed a memo to supporters ahead of the polls closing in New Hampshire to give an update on "what's next" for the campaign.

He emphasizes that the campaign is poised to organize and get out the vote in all 57 states and territories, a point Warren herself has stressed on the trail when asked about her viability long term. He writes that the campaign is confident in its strategy to compete throughout the country, not "just in pockets that reflect one segment of our party or another."

Lau cautions against anyone making predictions at this stage, calling the race a "fractured" one. "People who are predicting what will happen a week from now are the same people who a year ago predicted that Beto O'Rourke was a frontrunner for the nomination," he writes. "As we've seen in the last week, debates and unexpected results have an outsize impact on the race, and will likely keep it volatile and unpredictable through Super Tuesday."

Notably, while Warren has not made negative comments about her opponents, this memo lists what it sees as the deficits of each of her opponents.

• Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders: The memo says Sanders "starts with a ceiling that's significantly lower than the support he had four years ago."
  • Former Vice President Joe Biden: The memo addresses that while he entered the race as a clear front-runner, he now polls under 30%, "even among older voters and African-American voters, who have been his strongest supports, and his support among younger voters has fallen."
  • Former South Bend, Ind., Mayor Pete Buttigieg: Lau writes that Buttigieg's most significant challenge is yet to come "as the contest moves into states with more diverse electorates, and he still hasn't answered tough questions about his record in South Bend."
  • Former Mayor Mike Bloomberg: Lau says that while Bloomberg's campaign has poured hundreds of millions of dollars into March states, he believes it will fall short on Super Tuesday. "And keep in mind that Bloomberg will soon be forced to actually debate his record, rather than hiding behind millions in TV ads."
  • Minnesota Sen. Amy Klobuchar: Lau concedes that Klobuchar is getting a "well-deserved look from voters for the first time" but says her campaign "hasn't been able to build out infrastructure for the long haul, and is playing catch up on a very short timeline."
Lau predicts that Warren will finish in the top two in over half of the Super Tuesday states and says internal campaign figures show only three candidates at or above the 15% threshold in more than half of the districts: Warren, Biden and Sanders. "In that three-way race, Elizabeth Warren is the candidate with the highest potential ceiling of support and the one best positioned to unite the party and lead the Democratic ticket to defeat Donald Trump."

The memo also reminds supporters that the Warren campaign "has always been 100% grassroots-funded, and that's never going to change." It then asks for a donation.

Status
Not open for further replies.