• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who's Going to Win South Carolina?

• Joe Biden

Votes: 585 39.2%
  • Bernie Sanders

Votes: 853 57.2%
  • Elizabeth Warren

Votes: 24 1.6%
  • Pete Buttigieg

Votes: 7 0.5%
  • THE KLOBBERER

Votes: 16 1.1%
  • Tom Steyer

Votes: 6 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kay

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
What does Parasite winning best pic mean for the Sanders campaign?
LTrXi7d.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
Latvian Hitman answerrd your question.

She waffled on Medicare For All and became a generic candidate who is not going to change healthcare

It wasn't that she waffled on M4A- she just refused to admit that M4A would result in a tax increase and instead kept repeating the phrase, "your costs will go down." All the word-smithing made her look dishonest. Coming into that debate, she had pulled ahead of Bernie and into a virtual tie with Biden in some polls. After the debate, she fell double digits.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
It wasn't that she waffled on M4A- she just refused to admit that M4A would result in a tax increase and instead kept repeating the phrase, "your costs will go down." All the word-smithing made her look dishonest. Coming into that debate, she had pulled ahead of Bernie and into a virtual tie with Biden in some polls. After the debate, she fell double digits.
And she stepped away from M4A since then and adopted the generic party line

DiscoShark

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Seemed to have less to do with the debate than the release of her actual plan. A M4A plan predicated on passing comprehensive immigration reform and bending over backwards to ensure that no one in the middle class has their taxes go up a single penny was a silly way to make her argument. I was a huge Warren fan going into the Fall but she did herself in when the pressure was on.

Correct me if I'm wrong but she still pushes for M4A - her transition plan just uses a public option as a transitionary step before getting there. Her plan calls for full implementation of M4A by Year 3 as far as I'm aware.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Last I checked she is making a transition plan to go from instantly public option to single payer system ("true" M4A) across 8 years.

That doesn't make it not M4A, it's just a different time period. Not even Sanders goes to single payer system within 3 years.

Both of them are smart enough to know that you can't upend the system in such an abrupt period of time, lots of people working in insurance companies who would lose their jobs along with other various issues to iron out.

The main difference between the two aside from this is that Warren has a method of paying for it (that is a bit outlandish) when Bernie doesn't really have it. Warren served as the meatshield for the "how are you going to pay for it" attacks that Bernie never had to really withstand. I guess people had higher expectations from Warren due to being the "I have a plan for that" candidate.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
elizabethwarren.com

Ending the Stranglehold of Health Care Costs on American Families | Elizabeth Warren

Elizabeth's Medicare for All plan gives everyone good insurance and cuts their health care costs to nearly zero -- without increasing middle-class taxes one penny.

Still calling for M4A
She Hasn't talked about it at all in the last two debates

Bernie is running with the Health Care Ball. That specific issue is now all his.

Do like Yang, come up with a signature policy like UBI vs robots

fauxtrot

Oct 25, 2017
Bernie has switched to a very similar four year transition plan

No one is getting us that M4A anytime soon

Yeah, no. The transition plan has been part of the bill since it was released in the Senate... pushing for M4A's passage almost immediately after becoming president (Bernie's position from the start) has been consistent and not the same as Warren changing her stance from pushing for Bernie's bill to splitting the bill into two pieces, the latter of which wouldn't be brought to a vote until her 3rd year in office.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthca...-medicare-for-all-in-first-week-of-presidency

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Hasn't talked about it at all in the last two debates
Yeah she hasn't talked about it because every time she talks about it on a debate stage she gets wrapped around in the conversation of the economics of how to pay for it... and whenever she does that her poll numbers go down so she stopped going into specifics.

The electorate really doesn't care about that sort of stuff, it was a trap by the media/pundits to have you focusing on the minutia to detract from the bigger messaging. NONE of the other candidates have plans nearly as detailed as Warren does but she unfortunately was the plan candidate.

This also a competition with other candidates and you can't just copy/paste other people's proposals.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
User Banned (1 Month): Dismissive Commentary and Ignoring Staff Post with Regards to Trolling and Hostility Over Multiple Posts; Prior Related Warning
No she definitely didn't.
She wasn't even running yet when that happened.
The whole DNA thing was like 1.5 years ago
No one gives a shit

Edit:
This was a bad comment by me, I meant no one as in the media doesn't care

Last edited:

fauxtrot

Oct 25, 2017
She wasn't even running yet when that happened.
The whole DNA thing was like 1.5 years ago
No one gives a shit

You keep saying "no one gives a shit" but I personally know a number of Native Americans that do, in fact, give a shit. Are you a Native American? If not, you should probably stop being so dismissive about it, it's a gross tactic.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
You guys are debating about policy from their campaign websites.

The average voter doesn't read those

You need a signature issue, easy to say in a few words "Medicare For All"

2nd hammer your signature finisher, the crowd will remember you for it

What's Bernie's Finishing Move? Medicare For All.
There that's perfect messaging

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017

Come on Pete we know thats what you meant but a few days after you said black people in your district were locked up more due to drugs and gangs? Jesus I'm still cringing

Pete is so fixated about being in front of an audience of receptive black people that he Freudian slipped at the worst time. Then his attempts to catch himself felt like something written for Michael Scott.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You guys are debating about policy from their campaign websites.

The average voter doesn't read those

You need a signature issue, easy to say in a few words "Medicare For All"

2nd hammer your signature finisher, the crowd will remember you for it

What's Bernie's Finishing Move? Medicare For All.
There that's perfect messaging
That's a different argument altogether.

You are right the electorate doesn't really care much or read too specifically into policies. For them on the surface, Warren and Bernie plans are about the same as they both are gearing towards single payer system. Unlike say Pete who is doing public option only despite trying to co-opt the name Medicare for All (who want it).

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
I just want to address this because this kind of stuff is how modern racism is allowed to operate. The rate at which black men were locked up compared to white men during jim crowe era was 3:1. That number during the tough on crime positions states like CA adopted in the 90s jumped up by more than half (7.5:1). Three strikes in California was one of the most racially harmful policies of these positions.

Just because this stuff didn't have the explicit language of southern Jim Crowe laws does not mean its effects did not reach the same heights. Here it was significantly worse than Jim Crowe and thats not even getting into the LAPD, the youth gang laws which allowed minors to be charged as adults if an officer decided to put them in their system, etc. CA has a long history with racism which in many ways was just as bad if not worse than Jim Crowe 9not to mention was much more recent). It just dressed itself up nicer in order to operate much more insidiously, and thats how contemporary racism works. Its less about the language used drawing attention to race and more so the outcomes of policy which directly target race.

It's disingenuous to compare Jim Crow era incarceration rates to 90's tough on crime era rates specifically because we entered the era of mass incarceration—in no small part due to the 94 Crime Bill and a half dozen other changes at the federal level and multiple state level changes. The point I'll make is that CA is at least trying to address the problems where as most of these Bible Belt states fight any progress straight to the Supreme Court.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
You keep saying "no one gives a shit" but I personally know a number of Native Americans that do, in fact, give a shit. Are you a Native American? If not, you should probably stop being so dismissive about it, it's a gross tactic.
I'm sorry, that was a bad comment from me

I meant to say that the media doesn't care andthat the whoel conversation moved away from it

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's disingenuous to compare Jim Crow era incarceration rates to 90's tough on crime era rates specifically because we entered the era of mass incarceration—in no small part due to the 94 Crime Bill and a half dozen other changes at the federal level and multiple state level changes. The point I'll make is that CA is at least trying to address the problems where as most of these Bible Belt states fight any progress straight to the Supreme Court.
The reason you can't compare the two is because tough on crime was significantly worse for incarceration rates of African Americans-in no small part due to CA's three strike policy. You don't get to hand wave that away because the bill itself was racist in intent, which is why you didn't see every other state adopt a three strike system. It remains one of the most racially discriminatory policies and its effects are still felt throughout the state. You can make a point about the bible belt without suggesting that CA doesn't have an incredible problem with racism. They just dress it up nicer.

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont

It's interesting because at the Native American summit they did last year she consistently had the best positions and came away from it the clear winner. She actually had legitimate policy proposals to help Native American communities and strengthen their rights, where as most candidates were just reiterating the same stuff Democrats have said for decades.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
in a WWE post-Trump era, you cannot campaign like you did in the old days

the world has changed

you need to campaign in a post-Trump era and you need catchy policy issues, catchy tag lines, catchy slogans, catchy 3 word polices and merch.

and "Medicare For All" are three words that is all you need to hammer over and over and over and you win

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Klobuchar has been so under the radar that I honestly can't think a single bad thing about her.
I just never thought she stood a chance.
but Pete flew too close to the sun and I think he's about to crash, and it will soon be Klobbering time.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Blue Skies may be right in the sense people don't care ENOUGH about Liz pretending to be a person of color

And highkey racist

then to make it all worse, as if she learned nothing, she releases those DNA results. yeah she may be trying to put an effort now with Native American focused policy proposals, but it doesn't erase her complete lack of judgement and terrible instincts she displayed just before running.

Deleted member 20630

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

But the point being made is that it isn't actually addressing the problems, because the problems are systemic. They're just dressing their racism up in nice clothing.

Deleted member 20630

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Klobuchar has been so under the radar that I honestly can't think a single bad thing about her.
but Pete flew too close to the sun and I think he's about to crash, and it will soon be Klobbering time.

Can you explain what you mean when you say he "flew too close to the sun"

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
giphy.gif

She throws stuff at her staff and is repeatedly cited to be a terrible person to work for in shitty conditions.

www.nytimes.com

How Amy Klobuchar Treats Her Staff (Published 2019)

Interviews with more than two dozen former staff members and internal emails reviewed by The Times reveal demeaning and unusual behavior by Ms. Klobuchar toward her subordinates.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair I can't really think of a good thing about Klobuchar either. Because no one really thinks about her besides news pundits

Status
Not open for further replies.