• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who's Going to Win South Carolina?

• Joe Biden

Votes: 585 39.2%
  • Bernie Sanders

Votes: 853 57.2%
  • Elizabeth Warren

Votes: 24 1.6%
  • Pete Buttigieg

Votes: 7 0.5%
  • THE KLOBBERER

Votes: 16 1.1%
  • Tom Steyer

Votes: 6 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Znazzy

Aug 27, 2018
YES! So happy Biden is winning by a huge margin.

I told all of y'all that were thinking Bernie was going to walk away with the nomination after he won some of the whitest states in the nation to slow your roll and wait for SC...

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
Something tells me old people will turn out Blue no matter what, but young people won't turn out for a candidate they don't resonate with.
*A lot* of young people would need to turn out to make up for the old moderate Democrats/independents/moderate Republicans Sanders would turn off.

youth_turnout.png

www.vox.com

Bernie Sanders looks electable in surveys — but it could be a mirage

New research suggests Sanders would drive swing voters to Trump — and need a youth turnout miracle to compensate.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
User Banned (2 weeks): Condescending attitudes towards minorities
The next debate is finally gonna be interesting now that a lot of the stragglers are dropping out. They might actually be worth watching now.
They already have been worth watching. They have felt like wrestling matches 🍿

I told all of y'all that were thinking Bernie was going to walk away with the nomination after he won some of the whitest states in the nation to slow your roll and wait for SC...
Lol these minorities don't know that Bernie is way better for them then.

GalvoAg

Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
Well it's on again, honestly didn't expect Bernie to get boat raced like this in SC. Always knew it was going to be Biden but not like this.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017

Bernie's biggest victory was in a state no whiter than South Carolina.

Dec 31, 2017
*A lot* of young people would need to turn out to make up for the old moderate Democrats/independents/moderate Republicans Sanders would turn off.

youth_turnout.png

www.vox.com

Bernie Sanders looks electable in surveys — but it could be a mirage

New research suggests Sanders would drive swing voters to Trump — and need a youth turnout miracle to compensate.

Of course I'll have to parse trough hard data, but gut feeling is that even moderates will come out for the blue guy/girl. I think we might overstate older voters and/or moderates sitting out for a progressive candidate.

Either way, there's no clearly easy path for anyone. I hope that the youth do turn out, but we are fucking stupid.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Hope Texas and California come out for Bernie, he's going to need it as the Deep South is going to line up for Biden as they did for Hillary :(

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watching someone to the right of Obama surge in the polls is a chilling reminder that if Republicans weren't so racist, they could easily have the majority of support. Half of these democrats would be considered right wingers in most countries

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
How TF do they think Bernie supporters feel when everything is framed around stoping Bernie, coming from the other campaigns and the pundits on tv? They'd rather lose to trump with their pick than have bernie be the nom.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Watching someone to the right of Obama surge in the polls is a chilling reminder that if Republicans weren't so racist, they could easily have the majority of support. Half of these democrats would be considered right wingers in most countries

The window is very different in the US. That's not news to anybody.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Hope Texas and California come out for Bernie, he's going to need it as the Deep South is going to line up for Biden as they did for Hillary :(

Its really all about California. Every vote counts. Bernie being up by 250 delegates or 150 delegates simply comes down to whether or not other candidates are viable.

If its sitting at 150 or less after ST I think Biden has a real shot at it

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
How TF do they think Bernie supporters feel when everything is framed around stoping Bernie, coming from the other campaigns and the pundits on tv? They'd rather lose to trump with their pick than have bernie be the nom.

Haven't polls fairly consistently said that almost every democrat candidate can beat Trump?

Prodigal Son

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed, pretty embarrassing result for Sanders. I wonder how much of this has to do with his blunting his momentum with those stupid 60 Minutes comments.
he probably wouldn't have gone up in the polls everywhere else if that were the case. this is the result of pollsters famously undersampling the older AA vote + a strong debate performance from Biden

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
its pretty bad. just zero sense of impartiality; just constant calls of "Bernie must be stopped"

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Good lord, Sanders got destroyed. I knew he was going to lose SC, but by 30 points? Ouch.

If young folks don't turn out even for Bernie, we are truly fucked. They sure as hell ain't coming out for Biden+a chunk of progressives wont either.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't polls fairly consistently said that almost every democrat candidate can beat Trump?

Biden and Bernie do the best. Bernie does the best in the rust belt states which are ones we really need! Why take a candidate who has a lesser of a chance to win Penn, Michigan, Minnesota? Because he has a slightly better chance to win Florida? Bernie is Taylor made to take back the rust belt.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
he probably wouldn't have gone up in the polls everywhere else if that were the case. this is the result of pollsters famously undersampling the older AA vote + a strong debate performance from Biden

Most likely yeah. And we were warned this would be the case, but I don't think anyone expected this big a gap.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Biden and Bernie do the best. Bernie does the best in the rust belt states which are ones we really need! Why take a candidate who has a lesser of a chance to win Penn, Michigan, Minnesota? Because he has a slightly better chance to win Florida? Bernie is Taylor made to take back the rust belt.

I worry about Bernie in PA. I think he needs to soften his stance on the fracking ban.

cjbenny

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, margins matter. Hillary won both Texas and California in 2008 and 2016. Difference was, her wins in '08 couldn't overcome Obama's delegate advantage, whereas in 2016 it bolstered her lead against Bernie. California is huge.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, I'm really annoyed by the constant erasure of POC who aren't black in this thread. Apparently Nevada is white central now.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
I worry about Bernie in PA. I think he needs to soften his stance on the fracking ban.

If Bernie can be much more specific on how he will make a new manufactorying revolution where the workers are doing green energy and not drilling, he could have them. I really don't anticipate Biden to go all in. He's just going to go around saying TRUMP BAD for 6 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.