• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who's Going to Win South Carolina?

• Joe Biden

Votes: 585 39.2%
  • Bernie Sanders

Votes: 853 57.2%
  • Elizabeth Warren

Votes: 24 1.6%
  • Pete Buttigieg

Votes: 7 0.5%
  • THE KLOBBERER

Votes: 16 1.1%
  • Tom Steyer

Votes: 6 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
yeah i think if biden does big tomorrow in SC the Biden comeback narrative might be enough to fuck us on super tuesday
Depends on how big. If he wins by 10% or so, I think Bernie's still easily on top with Bloomberg murdering Biden's numbers. If he wins by 20+%, well, he probably takes the delegate lead (Might even drive everyone else into not qualifying for delegates) and things may get dicey for Bernie on ST with Bloomberg's coalition of hidden undecided voters mass switching.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The "anti-establishment being conflated with progressive" thing I'm talking about has nothing to do with "leftists", it's about people treating two things as synonyms that aren't.
I generally agree but then you've also got "establishment dem" policies like basically anything to do with foreign policy especially wrt the Middle East/Palestine and it's hard to call anyone that supports that garbage as a progressive on the foreign policy front though.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
If Twitter mentions carried primary results poor Liz would be doing a whole lot better right now. Not sure about that model.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I mean if things get bad enough will there even be an election?

Nothing would surprise me these days. Trump canceling an election he thinks he is going to lose with the excuse of martial law or whatever doesn't seem impossible.
Fortunately the President doesn't have that power.
This post displays a stunning lack of understanding for how the political process works in this country and how Bloomberg is exploiting it to ingratiate himself with the DNC.
Bernie and most other candidates have also employed superdelegates during the Presidential Primary. It's not unusual, and it's not being done in any sort of volume that would materially change the outcome of the Convention.

Bloomberg blanketing the airwaves with ads is in and of itself a great example of the problem with money in politics. We don't need to muddle that message by condemning him specifically for something most candidates are "guilty" of.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So you would agree then that the establishment is, at least partially, responsible for progressives getting the anti-establishment label? Because I guarantee you Cenk isn't the only one responsible for that.
Did you mix up anti-Semitic and anti-establishment or something? I'm not talking about progressives being considered anti-establishment, I'm talking about how being anti-establishment has been leading to people being called "progressive" regardless of their actual policy views, behavior and history.

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I generally agree but then you've also got "establishment dem" policies like basically anything to do with foreign policy especially wrt the Middle East/Palestine and it's hard to call anyone that supports that garbage as a progressive on the foreign policy front though.
I see that. I always put an asterisk next to "progressive" when it comes to Sanders because of his centrist/ right wing voting record with regard to guns

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So you would agree then that the establishment is, at least partially, responsible for progressives getting the anti-establishment label? Because I guarantee you Cenk isn't the only one responsible for that.
I just don't get how someone ignores all the stories about how Bernie must be stopped by the DNC, or early on the tension between the squad and Democratic Party leadership, or how the establishment rarely gets behind the most progressive candidates, particularly in primaries. But yeah it's everyone else's fault that people are conflating progressivism with anti-establishment.

shamanick

Oct 29, 2017
A D- NRA rating is a lot higher than most dems who score 10 or less on their hundred point scale.
seems pretty median from a glance at the list http://www.margieroswell.com/map_of_nra_grades_for_senators
Mmm hmm. His repeated voting for the corporate interests of gun manufacturers over the interests of working people and their families will always be disgusting though.
that's fair. I'm pretty sure that his admin would be progressive on gun legislation though.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Bernie and most other candidates have also employed superdelegates during the Presidential Primary. It's not unusual, and it's not being done in any sort of volume that would materially change the outcome of the Convention.

Bloomberg blanketing the airwaves with ads is in and of itself a great example of the problem with money in politics. We don't need to muddle that message by condemning him specifically for something most candidates are "guilty" of.
Bloomberg isn't just blanketing the airwaves with ads. He's been running a systematic influence-peddling operation with Democratic figures all across the country. Multiple stories have been written about it by this point. It's fucking terrifying and we can't just wave it away.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
A D- NRA rating is a lot higher than most dems who score 10 or less on their hundred point scale.

He also wants to do more to resolve the systematic violent structures that cause the greatest amount off mass shootings than the other candidates (largely against American PoC) and has fought against them since long before Warren was LARPing as a Native American Republican?

What's the point of trying to say he's not progressive for his past views on one issue?

Last edited:

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just don't get how someone ignores all the stories about how Bernie must be stopped by the DNC, or early on the tension between the squad and Democratic Party leadership, or how the establishment rarely gets behind the most progressive candidates, particularly in primaries. But yeah it's everyone else's fault that people are conflating progressivism with anti-establishment.
In things like competitive House races, the further left candidates don't get backed because they generally have a worse chance of winning the general election. Which we unfortunately saw play out in 2018 where the JD-backed candidates in contested primaries all faceplanted in the general election in purple districts, even the ones we thought were still good candidates like McGrath.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Bloomberg isn't just blanketing the airwaves with ads. He's been running a systematic influence-peddling operation with Democratic figures all across the country. Multiple stories have been written about it by this point. It's fucking terrifying and we can't just wave it away.
Great, so talk about that. But using the fact that his campaign employees two superdelegates as evidence doesn't help the argument that Bloomberg's actions are extreme or unusual, because that's very normal.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Probably should have kept it to the people running for President right now, but note that most of the people above him are no longer serving.

Here's a visual of the last Senate:
imrs.php

He also wants to do more to resolve the systematic violent structures that cause the greatest amount off mass shootings (largely against American PoC) and has fought for them whilst Warren was LARPing as a Native American Republican?

What's the point of trying to say his not progressive for his past views on one issue?
I didn't agree with Fred, but saying that he's progressive on guns would be ignoring his record and what even getting a D- as a dem means.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In things like competitive House races, the further left candidates don't get backed because they generally have a worse chance of winning the general election. Which we unfortunately saw play out in 2018 where the JD-backed candidates in contested primaries all faceplanted in the general election in purple districts, even the ones we thought were still good candidates like McGrath.
yeah that does suck :(

wish this country wasn't so awful

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020
Did you mix up anti-Semitic and anti-establishment or something? I'm not talking about progressives being considered anti-establishment, I'm talking about how being anti-establishment has been leading to people being called "progressive" regardless of their actual policy views, behavior and history.
There's no mix up. I'm saying that maybe anti-establishment is synonymous with progressive because the establishment is vocally anti-progressive. Do you see the establishment attacking any other wing of the party as much as they do the progressives? The anti-Semitic stuff is in reference to the establishment condemning Ilhan Omar as anti-Semitic.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Elizabeth "I'm the only candidate who hasn't taken any PAC money but actually I'm taking over 12 million" Warren's campaign is such a disaster.

yeah i think if biden does big tomorrow in SC the Biden comeback narrative might be enough to fuck us on super tuesday
Not enough time tbh
The "anti-establishment being conflated with progressive" thing I'm talking about has nothing to do with "leftists", it's about people treating two things as synonyms that aren't.
And that has what to do with Cenk?

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I didn't agree with Fred, but saying that he's progressive on guns would be ignoring his record and what even getting a D- as a dem means.

Then apologies for assuming you were agreeing with Fred. I think gun violence is more than just an issue with gun law. Whilst there are some blatantly clear steps that need to be taken like background checks the majority of mass shootings in America are more related to structural violence against PoC and are done with hand guns. The only real solution to that's structural change.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not really, especially when as recently as 2016 they were tweeting quotes of his then current positions to support their own stances.

Having gun manufacturers liable for shootings is legally unsound and a slippery slope. It's a feel good talking point and doesn't make much sense without banning guns along with it.

What happened to the gun company Adam Lanza used is a much more reasonable approach than broadly holding manufacturers liable.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is still the 2012 data from Sanders comparing it to the newer ratings.
His current rating is unchanged. The numbers are what the NRA had in February 2018.
Then apologies for assuming you were agreeing with Fred. I think gun violence is more than just an issue with gun law. Whilst there are some blatantly clear steps that need to be taken like background checks the majority of mass shootings in America are more related to structural violence against PoC and are done with hand guns. The only real solution to that's structural change.
A good first step would've been allowing gun manufacturers to be sued. But Sanders was against that.

shamanick

Oct 29, 2017
Some people still calling him progressive even after the writings, carpetbagging, the anti-Uinion stuff, etc, etc. Him being "anti-establishment" was all it took for some to just give him that label no matter what his actions or stances were.
most of the progressives have a huge problem with the union busting. It kind of seems like you're holding up Cenk as the head progressive or something, which isn't really the case. I've never even watched TYT lol

His current rating is unchanged. The numbers are what the NRA had in February 2018.
IIRC from the majority report, the assessment was made in 2012 and he has not been re-assessed

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Great, so talk about that. But using the fact that his campaign employees two superdelegates as evidence doesn't help the argument that Bloomberg's actions are extreme or unusual, because that's very normal.
Go back and read what I said. Bloomberg is exploiting the ways that politics already work in this country on an unprecedented scale. Nowhere have I said that nobody else is doing it.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
most of the progressives have a huge problem with the union busting. It kind of seems like you're holding up Cenk as the head progressive or something, which isn't really the case. I've never even watched TYT lol
I'm not, I'm using him as a prominent example of the conflation of the two as synonyms when they're not synonymous because Cenk is not a good example of a progressive.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Having gun manufacturers liable for shootings is legally unsound and a slippery slope. It's a feel good talking point and doesn't make much sense without banning guns along with it.

What happened to the gun company Adam Lanza used is a much more reasonable approach than broadly holding manufacturers liable.
Slippery slope to what?

It's also worth noting the number of times Sanders voted against the Brady bill.

Prodigal Son

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on how big. If he wins by 10% or so, I think Bernie's still easily on top with Bloomberg murdering Biden's numbers. If he wins by 20+%, well, he probably takes the delegate lead (Might even drive everyone else into not qualifying for delegates) and things may get dicey for Bernie on ST with Bloomberg's coalition of hidden undecided voters mass switching.
exactly. and he absolutely might win by those margins. the polls are all over the map but some have him winning huge. and polls usually undersample older AA voters. we might be fucked

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Of all the issues, guns aren't going to really hurt him that much. Besides, if he was in the general, they are going to say he will take your guns away regardless.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
exactly. and he absolutely might win by those margins. the polls are all over the map but some have him winning huge. and polls usually undersample older AA voters. we might be fucked
On the plus side early voting is a huge component of all this so narrative changes can only have so much effect.

it's undeniable that he's gotten a lot more pro-gun legislation since 2016, at least, regardless of the NRA's opinion.

He doesn't have an A rating, so some pro gun control gestures are expected, and he has since 2016 mentioned a few gun friendly things to maintain his D-. Either way, you were holding up the D- as the median like it was fine not many posts ago.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of all the issues, guns aren't going to really hurt him that much. Besides, if he was in the general, they are going to say he will take your guns away regardless.
I'm really talking more about progressive bona fides and questioning overall how some issues seem to get left by the wayside when it comes to applying labels to politicians.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

I'd advise not getting too worked up about it. SC and ST will be 72 hours apart at the most and many votes are already in. It's gonna be a crazy few days, just take a deep breath and hope for the best. Bernie is still in a good position.

If you know people in ST states, encourage them to vote early. I already did this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.