• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who's Going to Win South Carolina?

• Joe Biden

Votes: 585 39.2%
  • Bernie Sanders

Votes: 853 57.2%
  • Elizabeth Warren

Votes: 24 1.6%
  • Pete Buttigieg

Votes: 7 0.5%
  • THE KLOBBERER

Votes: 16 1.1%
  • Tom Steyer

Votes: 6 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
I don't hate Pete but his blatant negative attacks on sanders. Especially saying that he's raising taxes with m4a, and now saying there are irregularities in Nevada. Iowa was fucked but I didn't see much about Nevada so let me know if I'm wrong here. I'm not liking him much at this point.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I just don't understand what these middle class liberals are afraid of. The Chris Matthews of the world are insane rich people who always live in fear of communists robbing them blind, that I get. If you're a loyal blue dog living in a cozy suburb with a partner, two kids and a dog, what are you worried about under a Sanders presidency? Taxes going up under M4A (even though the net price would still be less than health insurance)?

A lot of them say they're afraid of losing to Trump with a Bernie nomination, but if they think anybody in the current field has a better shot at beating Trump, they're deliberately obtuse. Nevada should make it extremely obvious who the party is uniting behind. Even the canvasser I talked to earlier today is a Warren supporter but said she understands why Bernie is so popular, that Bernie is popular with young voters including her kids, and she's 100% behind him in a general election because she's concerned about wealth inequality, health care, and climate change. I said it earlier in this thread, but I think once we're past the primary and the tribalistic nature of it, most of these loyal blue dog voters will have no problem voting for Bernie, especially against Trump.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
The discussion around Texas motivated me to pull up some numbers. Here's general election numbers for the 2016, 2012, and 2008 general elections:
ZZuBa8O.png

The 2018 senate election between O'Rourke and Cruz paints a more interesting and optimistic picture:
OLCFyxV.png

Cruz "merely" won by 214,921 votes - a 73% decrease in margin of victory compared to Trump's lead over Clinton.

Texas still seems like a pipedream given historical trends, but someday the dam will burst. I don't think it's necessarily crazy to entertain the idea that Bernie could have an outside shot at an upset, perhaps if you believe in his favorability and ability to mobilize the hispanic vote there, and make a favorable comparison to O'Rourke - a candidate whose rockstar favorability propelled him to within striking distance of a Republican incumbent.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
with Bernie's ground game, demographic reach, and the general enthusiasm surrounding his campaign plus the full might of people like AOC stumping for him I'm definitely not writing off Texas

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I just don't understand what these middle class liberals are afraid of. The Chris Matthews of the world are insane rich people who always live in fear of communists robbing them blind, that I get. If you're a loyal blue dog living in a cozy suburb with a partner, two kids and a dog, what are you worried about under a Sanders presidency? Taxes going up under M4A (even though the net price would still be less than health insurance)?

A lot of them say they're afraid of losing to Trump with a Bernie nomination, but if they think anybody in the current field has a better shot at beating Trump, they're deliberately obtuse. Nevada should make it extremely obvious who the party is uniting behind. Even the canvasser I talked to earlier today is a Warren supporter but said she understands why Bernie is so popular, that Bernie is popular with young voters including her kids, and she's 100% behind him in a general election because she's concerned about wealth inequality, health care, and climate change. I said it earlier in this thread, but I think once we're past the primary and the tribalistic nature of it, most of these loyal blue dog voters will have no problem voting for Bernie, especially against Trump.

A lot of middle class liberals legitimately think they're current health care plan is better in quality than M4A will, and they're simply not going to believe you that their taxes going up is worth it, and that their coverage will be better because of it. I also think a lot of middle class liberals would agree that the current field isn't all that great, but they wouldn't consider that a positive for Bernie.

Putting that aside, I'm going to take Adam's post from PoliERA about what he's personally wary of Medicare for All, as he' somebody who is a parent with a child with lots of health care issues, who has a husband that's part of a union, that doesn't support M4A.

"You mean like the Union benefits specifically? That would vary from group to group. So, I can speak to what my husband and I have. We pay nothing for our coverage. It's all part of the negotiated package through the union. It covers all of us (my husband, myself and our 6 kids). Our out of pocket maximum is a little over $12,000. Once we reach that, we pay nothing. (And with my son's MS, we reach that by January 14th of each year.) Based on what we earn, Bernie's 4.4% tax would increase our healthcare costs by about $4000 a year. Again, we are very fortunate in what we make., and I am 100% aware of that. But , like I said, my son has a ton of medical issues and we are huge consumers of healthcare. Our insurance covers all of his treatments now, including drugs that are simply not covered by Medicare/Medicaid. The gamble of M4A is too great for someone like me. My son's treatments are the difference between him being a normal healthy kid or ending up in a wheelchair by the time he's 20. There are a lot of folks like me who simply do not want to gamble with what we currently have.

The bigger issue though as it relates to some union members is they have negotiated their healthcare coverage. They may have done this in exchange for agreeing to take less of a raise, etc. While that certainly will eventually be a thing of the past, they're going to get screwed RIGHT NOW by ripping away their healthcare coverage and forcing them on M4A. I think there is a lot of justified fear and anxiety. The one thing I'm surprised Pete and Klob and Biden haven't used is to argue that if you go with M4A and the GOP gets in...you're putting your healthcare in the hands of Republicans. To me, that would be a big effective attack on the idea. But maybe that's just me.

Ya, we would pay more under Bernie 's plan. But that's not my sole opposition. And I'm definitely aware of the changes Bernie wants to make to Medicare. The issue is there are no countries in the world doing what he's arguing for. You have to have cost controls, so you either ration care or deny treatments that aren't cost effective. The drugs my son are on are not ones that are covered by Medicare our Medicaid at the moment. What Bernie is asking is to trust that the government won't screw with my kids care. That's a huge ask, and it's not something I'm willing to gamble with. "

Again, maybe you disagree with that, but there are reasonable reasons to oppose M4A for example, while not wanting poor people to die.

Terra Firma

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The discussion around Texas motivated me to pull up some numbers. Here's general election numbers for the 2016, 2012, and 2008 general elections:
ZZuBa8O.png

The 2018 senate election between O'Rourke and Cruz paints a more interesting and optimistic picture:
OLCFyxV.png

Cruz "merely" won by 214,921 votes - a 73% decrease in margin of victory compared to Trump's lead over Clinton.

Texas still seems like a pipedream given historical trends, but someday the dam will burst. I don't think it's necessarily crazy to entertain the idea that Bernie could have an outside shot at an upset, perhaps if you believe in his favorability and ability to mobilize the hispanic vote there, and make a favorable comparison to O'Rourke - a candidate whose rockstar favorability propelled him to within striking distance of a Republican incumbent.
Latino voters in Texas are key. Bernie's campaign has great Latino outreach. Now that Nevada's behind us, a lot of those same Spanish-speaking campaigners will shift their attention to Texas so hopefully you'll see a much greater support for Bernie come November.

Prodigal Son

Oct 27, 2017
/pol/ thread in panic mode saying that bernie's rise will tank the stock market and make trump's economy look weak, leading to a bernie win.

it would fucking own if thats how that worked out

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020

Sarandon with this Warren clap back! It's ridiculous that candidates are suggesting Sanders needs to take personal accountability for every single one of his supporters that has ever said something mean. Everyone's supporters act like assholes on Twitter.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Hey there, someone from EU here and I just wanted to ask one question.

If Sanders is president, what he can really... like... do? It seems like Dems don't want him to win, will they help him in Senate or something?

Oct 28, 2017
If this is a direct quote, he's making it sound like Bernie is the one harassing people online.

That's been Pete's whole thing. Heck a lot of moderates on this very forum moan about Bernie Bros and try to tie it directly to Bernie himself.

No one who isn't an always online moderate cares about Bernie Bros. In fact, it's probably a very positive sign about his campaign as it's a symbol of enthusiasm and not the type that's being bought like Bloomberg is doing.

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY

If Sanders is president, what he can really... like... do? It seems like Dems don't want him to win, will they help him in Senate or something?
Not much honestly. His tax plan won't pass, his student loan forgiveness he may try to use an EO on but will be challenged in court and likely he will lose. Medicare 4 All will not pass.
He will be directing federal agencies and dealing with our allies though.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
/pol/ thread in panic mode saying that bernie's rise will tank the stock market and make trump's economy look weak, leading to a bernie win.

it would fucking own if thats how that worked out
Amazing theory and I hope it plays out like this. Some real big brain macroeconomics here.

Bernie performing well = Stock selloff in the health insurance sector = lower Dow = Trump in trouble.

It is a credible thesis.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas

Dems mostly like him. As for legislation, yes it will be very tough. But that's also the reality of just about any piece of legislation. Especially ones with massive goals like he has. More than likely, some compromise will come into play in order to get things passed. But maybe for once, we aren't going to put in a Republican lite bill to start negotiating from.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Does pete really want to continue vaguely insulting Sanders' coalition? How is that a winning strategy.

Sanders' coalition is so much more inclusive than his!
I think he believes, or more likely is desperately hoping for there to be a silent moderate undecided majority of potential voters that just need to see things from his perspective.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its not the 80s anymore. The Red Scare has passed its expiration date. Are there still lots of voters living under Cold War mentality? Yes. But there are also lots of voters who were born after the collapse of the USSR. Its hard to definitively say which bloc is bigger.

I can tell you which bloc will vote at a much higher percentage, the old people.

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017
It's unfortunate that media labeled her as crazy, she's actually very smart from what I saw in a long interview.

She didn't do herself any favors with the opening salvo at her first major public appearance in her run trashing the PM of New Zealand for no reason right after a tragic far-right terrorist attack there.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
Meh, it's more likely that the party starts to coalesce around him a month from now as he builds a large delegate lead. I don't think the will exists anywhere for bloody convention strategies.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can tell you which bloc will vote at a much higher percentage, the old people.
Yeah, but I can tell you which bloc is dying at a faster rate and which bloc is growing at a faster rate. I honestly think it sort of cancels out. Less and less people remember or care about the Cold War with every passing month. They're unreliable voters, sure, but the reliable Cold War voters can't live forever.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Pete is an enigma to me. His decision making alone i think is cause for concern for many supporters. or should be. Its clear that if he were the nominee I think Trump would crush him.

Status
Not open for further replies.