• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who's Going to Win South Carolina?

• Joe Biden

Votes: 585 39.2%
  • Bernie Sanders

Votes: 853 57.2%
  • Elizabeth Warren

Votes: 24 1.6%
  • Pete Buttigieg

Votes: 7 0.5%
  • THE KLOBBERER

Votes: 16 1.1%
  • Tom Steyer

Votes: 6 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Caucuses begin at 10am nevada time (12pm central). I know we probably won't have results but I'm going to be up in well enough time to watch because primary season is my superbowl.... and it lasts for months!

Gimmie dem entrence polls.

OP
OP
Poodlestrike

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
iPads isn't Bloomberg? I'm not up to date on all the pet names. >.>
iPads is in reference to the Nevada party moving from the Shadow app to something basically resembling a spreadsheet preloaded on an iPad. If the results don't come in anyway, that means the machines have won, and we must nominate Skynet at the convention.

edit: now that I read that it's pretty much Bloomberg so...

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
iPads is in reference to the Nevada party moving from the Shadow app to something basically resembling a spreadsheet preloaded on an iPad. If the results don't come in anyway, that means the machines have won, and we must nominate Skynet at the convention.

edit: now that I read that it's pretty much Bloomberg so...

*When trying to get the bonus while entering caucus results*

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Most of us who support other candidates aren't so thin skinned about it though. If someone says something even super super minor about him in the media (or even something completely benign - like mentioning him in the wrong order in election results), his supporters get really, really upset about it. At least it's mostly limited to his supporters and not the campaign itself - his campaign (ignoring a few of his surrogates) is actually pretty chill.
None of the other candidates are up against the collective biases of both liberal and far right media. Not a single one. I don't disagree that harder-core Bernie sups can often be provoked into disproportionate counter-aggression, but I'd argue that this sensitivity is partially in response to their collective movement being vilified, misrepresented, downplayed, caricatured and slanderously attacked from every single corner of the political sphere. Almost every politician or political org to the right of Sanders has maligned him in some way, and his supporters see this. Imagine what it's like putting all that energy into just advocating for improving everyone's life and yet have to defend your political stance from maniacs like C. Matthews ranting to millions that you actually want to execute innocent people in a park.

No, I don't think it's fair to use the term "thin skinned" at all, Damaniel. They're hyper vigilant, sure, but how can you blame them when even MSNBC has invoked Nazism and compared them to genocidal murderers.

Like, you know, what the fuck?

There's a much subtler level of bs that I think contributes more to this behavior. Stuff like this:

A438-C080-DD8-E-43-B2-9042-03-FC702-A1-C01.png

The NYT changed it only after a bunch of thin skinned Bernie supporters complained incessantly about it. Mainstream reporting on Sanders exists within a reality distortion field.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Really wanna see a big win in Nevada to get some extra momentum into South Carolina. Bernie doesn't need SC, but a win there will make him unstoppable.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Bernie needs to be within a few % of SC just to know where he stands with southern voters of color. if it is a repeat of 2016, then the primary has a new dynamic.

Ionic

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Stuff like that union worker who was misled as to what he was voting for during early voting make me nervous, but overall I think tomorrow will be a strong showing.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
There's a much subtler level of bs that I think contributes more to this behavior. Stuff like this:

A438-C080-DD8-E-43-B2-9042-03-FC702-A1-C01.png

The NYT changed it only after a bunch of thin skinned Bernie supporters complained incessantly about it. Mainstream reporting on Sanders exists within a reality distortion field.
Was there actually any proof that that involved anyone from any campaign?

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018

Ashane

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
And I say this not as a Sanders supporter. The reason I'm NOT a Sanders supporter is because I knew this response from America's supposed "left wing" mainstream media was coming.

Can you please explain?

So you are not supporting Sanders because you knew he would get attacked by left and right wing media outlets? Why specifically? Should that not make you want to double down and not let the "left wing" media control who you vote for?

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can you please explain?

So you are not supporting Sanders because you knew he would get attacked by left and right wing media outlets? Why specifically? Should that not make you want to double down and not let the "left wing" media control who you vote for?
I think it means they want a candidate that doesn't have to fight against their "side's" media apparatus. I do agree it is a unique weakness but it does make me want to support Bernie out of sheer spite. In fairness, this was how Trump overtook the GOP as well. Popular spite and contempt are volatile forces, but they can carry you a long way.

OldGamer

Jul 6, 2019
I'm pretty confident in Bernies performance. It won't be an absolute killing, but I expect a good size lead nonetheless.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Can you please explain?

Well, for starters, I'm Canadian. So I'm not voting for anyone here.

But to provide context for my argument, not letting the "left wing" media control who you vote for is a battle to fight that ought to be fought when the stakes aren't quite so high as they are right now.

Because we need Trump out of the White House. And if I believe that the American media won't actively allow someone like Sanders to win come November without doing their damnedest to stop him... whereas they probably wouldn't be so reticent about stopping someone like Warren or Biden, I'm going to prefer the "reasonable" non-Bernie alternatives.

That said, I would be shocked if Sanders doesn't clean up in Nevada whenever Perez deems it feasible to release the results.

May 26, 2018
It's the chaos timeline. A narrrrrow win in Nevada would not surprise me in the slightest. Total caucus fuckery would also not surprise me.

Going off without a hitch? That would be a surprise.

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020
Is it finally okay to be optimistic for Bernie? I feel like I'll just wake up and it'll all fall apart somehow.
I'd say Bernie's got a solid chance of going into the convention with a plurality. The only thing that will stop him is if the establishment decides they want to destroy the Democratic party. There are far too many moderates who think that they are the chosen one, destined to finish that work that Hillary started in 2016. Their last chance to realistically beat Bernie is if most of them drop out by Super Tuesday to allow people to coalesce around a more moderate candidate. And that's not happening. I'm guessing most people will try to stay in until they run out of funding, and it seems like that will be long enough for Bernie to gain an insurmountable lead.

Of course, polling could be way off and things could change. It's a primary and things are always fluid. If Bernie gets 2nd or 3rd tomorrow that could change everything. I think he needs to keep his frontrunner status to win over the fence sitters and low propensity voters who are inclined pick whoever's most popular.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
if Bernie wins most of Super Tuesday is it pretty much over?

If he some how wins all of the california delegates, then a good case could be made that his delegate lead going into the convention over everyone else could be enough to force them to go with him. If he has 300 delegates more than the next candidate, it would be very bad if they tried to give it to someone else.

dots

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say Bernie's got a solid chance of going into the convention with a plurality. The only thing that will stop him is if the establishment decides they want to destroy the Democratic party. There are far too many moderates who think that they are the chosen one, destined to finish that work that Hillary started in 2016. Their last chance to realistically beat Bernie is if most of them drop out by Super Tuesday to allow people to coalesce around a more moderate candidate. And that's not happening. I'm guessing most people will try to stay in until they run out of funding, and it seems like that will be long enough for Bernie to gain an insurmountable lead.

Of course, polling could be way off and things could change. It's a primary and things are always fluid. If Bernie gets 2nd or 3rd tomorrow that could change everything. I think he needs to keep his frontrunner status to win over the fence sitters and low propensity voters who are inclined pick whoever's most popular.
Not nominating someone with 26% of the vote won't destroy the party

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020
That's what I mean. If he does exceedingly well I figure there will be some dropouts. Which will give him more of a percentage in future matchups.

I'm not so confident that people dropping out is good for Sanders. I think Warren dropping out would be good for Sanders. But for now the moderate candidates are splitting votes among themselves which prevents them from overcoming sanders base. There are really 4 candidates fighting for the moderate vote right now; Biden, Buttigieg, Klobuchar, and Bloomberg. If 2 or 3 of them dropped out, that could be bad news for Sanders.

All that said, Sanders has been steadily rising in the polls. If he can win Nevada and outperform on Super Tuesday like people are expecting, then he's got this primary in the bag.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I meant specific to this race, but even then, that shit's proponents in the media were all solidly conservative outlets. It wasn't Tom Brokaw calling Barack and Michelle's fist bump a terrorist fist jab.

It would be comparable if these attacks were happening just in Murdoch Land, but here, we're seeing the "reasonable" media outlets peddling this trash just as fervently as their conservative counterparts.
To be fair, mainstream media had no issues pushing the "Hillary is sick" or "but her emails" for months. Granted, that was more frequent once she got the nomination, but let's not pretend they didn't contribute to the negativity around her.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I'm not so confident that people dropping out is good for Sanders. I think Warren dropping out would be good for Sanders. But for now the moderate candidates are splitting votes among themselves which prevents them from overcoming sanders base. There are really 4 candidates fighting for the moderate vote right now; Biden, Buttigieg, Klobuchar, and Bloomberg. If 2 or 3 of them dropped out, that could be bad news for Sanders.

All that said, Sanders has been steadily rising in the polls. If he can win Nevada and outperform on Super Tuesday like people are expecting, then he's got this primary in the bag.

The only three I've ever seen fire for are Sanders, Warren, and Pete. Everyone else is just there. And Pete has the most moderate support, but he's hated by the black community. So if Amy and Biden drop out I see black support going full Sanders, which is good for him.

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020
Not nominating someone with 26% of the vote won't destroy the party
If you think the establishment can tell a 1/4th of their base to fuck off and still win elections then you've got another thing coming. I mean look at the Republicans, they don't have as many numbers but they get in line when their voters tell them to and it works. People were saying Trump would destroy their party in 2016, but he just made them even stronger.

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020
The only three I've ever seen fire for are Sanders, Warren, and Pete. Everyone else is just there. And Pete has the most moderate support, but he's hated by the black community. So if Amy and Biden drop out I see black support going full Sanders, which is good for him.
Yeah that's a really good point. Biden dropping out would be great for Sanders. I really hope he drops out.

May 26, 2018
If you think the establishment can tell a 1/4th of their base to fuck off and still win elections then you've got another thing coming. I mean look at the Republicans, they don't have as many numbers but they get in line when their voters tell them to and it works. People were saying Trump would destroy their party in 2016, but he just made them even stronger.

Well, he's an authoritarian and the party is authoritarian by nature.

What's the Democratic Party at heart?

Status
Not open for further replies.