• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who's Going to Win South Carolina?

• Joe Biden

Votes: 585 39.2%
  • Bernie Sanders

Votes: 853 57.2%
  • Elizabeth Warren

Votes: 24 1.6%
  • Pete Buttigieg

Votes: 7 0.5%
  • THE KLOBBERER

Votes: 16 1.1%
  • Tom Steyer

Votes: 6 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Turns out that "blindly supporting Bernie Sanders" isn't the goal of every campaign, just Bernie's.
Turns out doing the thing thats routinely not helped her numbers will continue not helping her numbers \_0_/

Exactly, if he meet the threshold, he can do whatever he wants. If it's just a plurality, he should certainly get the nom, but he'll have to take a compromise VP pick.
He wont actually. Unless the democratic party wants to no longer exist in any competitive capacity moving forward.

dots

Oct 27, 2017
Complaining about Bernie's "super pacs" is like Pete complaining about Bernie's "dark money groups" which are like, nurses unions. Isn't it basically just the Sunrise Movement's pac that has ran ads for Bernie and that's pretty much it?

Warren is so tiring whenever she does this petty shit. She oscillates so wildly from "I'm not interested in this petty bullshit, let's get down to the real shit" and bodying people in debates, to concern trolling about medical records nearly uninterested party can admit are sufficient. Hell, even in the debate she'll say things like "I'm sick and tired of singling out Amy, why, because she's a woman?" when she'll have said "By the way, Amy's plan on this is non-existent fluff" minutes prior. It's like the good and bad parts of her campaign having a constant struggle for dominance.
Why is it OK for Bernie to get that PAC's support? Because you like their message?

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
Cheap hits on Bernie haven't proven to be politically effective.

They're pretty much not even aimed at Bernie himself, since as you say, they've never proven particularly effective at reducing Bernie's support specifically, it's just all about signalling to old white centrists that support the other candidates to support her instead, which is why she spent a lot of time attacking Pete and Klobuchar during the debate. It's all this weird back and forth dance her campaign is sort of forced to do, where she has to be this left-wing firebrand in one moment to maintain the respect of the left of the party but also engage in this embarrassing petty sniping that suburban white 50 year olds seem to vote exclusively on.

Oct 25, 2017
There's blind support and then there's harping on minor shit when competent doctors have gone on record stating that the types of records released are more than sufficient for what they're needed for.

This was discussed yesterday. He said that it would be a comprehensive medical report, and that's what he delivered. If you want something else on top of what he released, please be specific. No-one has been able to yet, from what I've seen.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Warren's excuse for not disavowing the PAC is really weak too

being disingenuous about a political rival to gain an edge is expected but her literal elevator pitch as a candidate likely involves fighting against the corrupting influence of money in politics and being different than most of the politicians in washington because of that fight. going "well they do it too" is pretty hypocritical to that pitch.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't Warren saying how Amy and her aren't the only ones taking PAC money? Why did she do a 180?

despite her amazing performance last night the reality of her campaign is that she's been bleeding support ever since she got hit on M4A and her campaign has been flailing ever since trying to make some gains

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Nice endorsement for Sanders.

Definitely for the Primary. I suspect Bernie has a lot of quasi libertarian and gun loving dem fans who might rankle a little at it, but in the general it's poison to a few potentially changeable Trump voters. Mind you, having that group as a kind of proxy reduces his need to campaign on it personally - so maybe?

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
Why is it OK for Bernie to get that PAC's support? Because you like their message?

I don't personally want any of these kinds of groups to exist because I want all elections to be strictly publicly funded. I'm just remarking on the fact that Warren's campaign is incredibly desperate to finally get back on their feet and has changed it's messaging a lot in the last few weeks as it flails around trying to catch fire again.

But I do also think ads from nurses unions or climate change activists are probably less harmful for our society than others, yes.

Dec 31, 2017
It's interesting to see Sanders being given a pass for changing his mind on something (saying he'd release the full medical history then going back on it) while Warren is attacked for changing her mind on something.

It's because Bernie "changed his mind" to a much better and reasonable position. Both politically, and from a professional medical perspective. He made statements about comprehensive medical record release (a post earlier in this thread went back and looked at all of his statements and it's hardly even certain he meant every single medical record), and he's released more than sufficient records that are accepted by professionals in the field of medicine.

Asking beyond that is stirring up controversy for controversy's sake. Any candidate still grasping at this point is being willfully disingenuous or is just incredibly ignorant.

SSF1991

Jun 19, 2018
They're pretty much not even aimed at Bernie himself, since as you say, they've never proven particularly effective at reducing Bernie's support specifically, it's just all about signalling to old white centrists that support the other candidates to support her instead, which is why she spent a lot of time attacking Pete and Klobuchar during the debate. It's all this weird back and forth dance her campaign is sort of forced to do, where she has to be this left-wing firebrand in one moment to maintain the respect of the left of the party but also engage in this embarrassing petty sniping that suburban white 50 year olds seem to vote exclusively on.

She's turning into the Susan Collins of the left now, meaning that she's trying to get the support of centrists and progressives at the same time, but all she ends up doing is flip-flopping and upsetting everyone. At least last night's debate proved that, unlike Collins, she's still got that passion and fire in her eyes that really makes her stand out in debates. And, well, we don't get statements of "concern" from Warren either.

It stinks. She's been my number one pick for this primary, but the last month or two of her campaign has been painful to watch. =(

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He wont actually. Unless the democratic party wants to no longer exist in any competitive capacity moving forward.
He will actually. Unless he doesn't want the nomination.
He didn't change his mind. People moved the goalposts.

m.dailykos.com

Bernie did release his medical records. Now folks are moving goalposts to claim he hasn't.

Update: here is a link to Sanders’s medical information. As I speculated in the diary, and it turns out I was correct, it includes results from December tests, which explains the rationale for waiting until December to release this assessment. Bernie...

Multiple medical professionals have confirmed that what Bernie released is comprehensive. This is nothing but a disingenuous ploy.
Disagree

"Of course, we're — of course, people do have a right to know about the health of a senator and someone running for president of the United States, full disclosure," Mr. Sanders told CNN's Sanjay Gupta. "And, we will make at the appropriate time, all of our medical records public for you or anybody else who wants to see them." Mr. Sanders this week released some information — letters from three doctors attesting to his fitness for office — but it fell far short of his promise of full disclosure. When pressed by reporters if more information would be released, he said, "Probably not."

It's because Bernie "changed his mind" to a much better and reasonable position. Both politically, and from a professional medical perspective. He made statements about comprehensive medical record release (a post earlier in this thread went back and looked at all of his statements and it's hardly even certain he meant every single medical record), and he's released more than sufficient records that are accepted by professionals in the field of medicine.

Asking beyond that is stirring up controversy for controversy's sake. Any candidate still grasping at this point is being willfully disingenuous or is just incredibly ignorant.
OK sure, but one could argue the same thing about Warren's position change.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
I know people are pulling back from Warren a little bit right now but I did love this.

86809048_792186327931397_7801551172535320576_o.jpg

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Generally the only thing a VP brings you is a shot at the VP's state, if it's in play, so it's hard to see why Bernie would pick Warren (or Pete).

Rats

Oct 25, 2017

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Generally the only thing a VP brings you is a shot at the VP's state, if it's in play, so it's hard to see why Bernie would pick Warren (or Pete).

I'm sure people won't like the idea but Beto would be great since he's doing fuck all right now (wouldn't risk a Senate seat) and would give a solid image of youth and energy to the campaign while also maybe putting Texas into play more.

Dec 31, 2017
OK sure, but one could argue the same thing about Warren's position change.

That's fine, I'm simply tired of hearing about this medical record nonsense, and as someone who is actually in the medical field I cringe at armchair physicians demanding a "full medical record release" when 3 independent physicians have reviewed his medical history and provided their assessment. I also cringe at candidates who continue to propagate this nonsense because it makes them look fucking stupid; and after a stellar debate Warren really doesn't need to dumpster dive for "oppo."

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020
Yeah let's let the DNC pick Bernie's VP because they were so good at picking the right candidate last time. Great idea.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure people won't like the idea but Beto would be great since he's doing fuck all right now (wouldn't risk a Senate seat) and would give a solid image of youth and energy to the campaign while also maybe putting Texas into play more.
Beto is hard at work working to shift local elections blue in Texas so that's a little unfair to say he's doing fuck all. I get that he's not holding office. I wonder if him on the ticket would have the same impact or more on local Texas elections

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
What are your medical credentials, and why is your opinion on this matter more valuable than all of the medical professionals who have weighed in?

Also, what kind of information would be in Bernie's "full medical records" that we don't have at the moment. Please be specific.

gonna need the long form health certificate

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020
Two white guys? Pass. It has to at least be a woman, preferably a woman of color.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He will actually. Unless he doesn't want the nomination.
Not getting the nomination is one thing. Ending the Democratic party forever over it is significantly worse and it will be hilarious to watch them do it if they don't understand that. If they try to refuse him the nom over a VP pick their party is done. Dems have FAR more to lose playing this game than he does. He holds all the cards in this scenario.

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
I guess if you really scale it back super far out, from a distance the instances of "Bernie said he would release his medical records, then decided to just release medical records specific to this incident that are good enough anyway" and "Warren literally like a week ago said she refused super pacs and denounced everyone else for having them and now did a 180 for transparently desperate political reasons" are actually the same thing, but to me the latter comes off as at least a little bit less justifiable in good faith.

There is literally no reason the internet should be able to pour over any of these people's detailed medical records, it's absurd. All some people want is for Bernie to release the results of a physical so twitter "experts" can express random concerns over any detail in it they find that normal people don't understand anything about. It's akin to the reaction over Hillary's fainting. Continuing to pick it at serves no purpose, and the candidate responding to it only gives more ammo to people who aren't actually interested in the results to begin with.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What are your medical credentials, and why is your opinion on this matter more valuable than all of the medical professionals who have weighed in?

Also, what kind of information would be in Bernie's "full medical records" that we don't have at the moment. Please be specific.
I'm not a doctor, but I play one on TV.

The statement was originally "all of our medical records." I didn't make that statement nor did I ask for that statement. Now that has changed to a more limited scope. And that's fine, but it is at minimum a change and at worst the breaking of a promise.

That's fine, I'm simply tired of hearing about this medical record nonsense, and as someone who is actually in the medical field I cringe at armchair physicians demanding a "full medical record release" when 3 independent physicians have reviewed his medical history and provided their assessment. I also cringe at candidates who continue to propagate this nonsense because it makes them look fucking stupid.
Same, tbh. It's not even about the records so much as it is about applying a consistent standard to all candidates around changing positions, etc.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
The thing is the Trump effect worked because even if I hate to admit it, Trump is actually very successful at entertaining people. His fans fucking adore him, and for whatever reason we all still feel the need to tune into his shit sometimes to laugh at him or to get fired up.

No one in the fucking world wants to see Mike Bloomberg stick around after last night. No one.
Yeah, he doesn't appeal to the Democratic base nor is he charismatic. He also is somehow worse at dodging an attack. He is Trump with none of his street smarts.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not getting the nomination is one thing. Ending the Democratic party forever over it is significantly worse and it will be hilarious to watch them do it if they don't understand that. If they try to refuse him the nom over a VP pick their party is done. Dems have FAR more to lose playing this game than he does. He holds all the cards in this scenario.
I mean, sure, burn it all down for being expected to make a tiny compromise in the scenario that Sanders could only achieve a plurality. Sure, why not? Sounds "hilarious."

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
To be honest if Bernie has to pick, like, Klobuchar as a VP to convince the convention to get him over the threshold I'm 100% cool with it. Whatever works, as long as it's not someone transparently awful. I can't imagine anyone who would enjoy the position of attack dog more than her anyway.

Kayla

Oct 28, 2017
Warren truly has the worst political instincts lol. Attacking Bernie on medical records isn't going to get her any votes. It's an attempt to damage him for a contested convention.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a doctor, but I play one on TV.

The statement was originally "all of our medical records." I didn't make that statement nor did I ask for that statement. Now that has changed to a more limited scope. And that's fine, but it is at minimum a change and at worst the breaking of a promise.

Same, tbh. It's not even about the records so much as it is about applying a consistent standard to all candidates around changing positions, etc.

Can you even find what Bernie has released online? Real question, there are so many stories about it, that I can't actually find what was released. It's buried somewhere under 100 news stories.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Bernie is the plurality winner, but can't just be pushed over on Vote 2 by SuperDelegates (which is the reason they're there in the first place, btw.) he'll need to make a deal, just like a ruling coalition would in a parliamentary system. This is why no one will just promise to surrender months in advance, because they lose all leverage in those negotiations if they promise to roll over to whoever's in first place no matter what.

One potential positive thing about a deal- it can let you shed bad G.E. positions going into the general election (old school GE pivoting) in a way you might not be able to otherwise in modern US politics due to the 24/7 Media Cycle.

Vyrak

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I mean, sure, burn it all down for being expected to make a tiny compromise in the scenario that Sanders could only achieve a plurality. Sure, why not? Sounds "hilarious."

Imagine arguing Bernie's health/age should be a consideration and then at the same time saying that the DNC picking his VP is a "tiny compromise" lol

good stuff.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I agree. Were talking about the DNC in this situation tho, right? Because letting their party burn down over a fucking vanilla mayo pick no one wants is worth it apparently. If they dont want to play this game, no one is forcing them to play it. Its entirely their decision with what they want to do here.

Terra Firma

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be honest if Bernie has to pick, like, Klobuchar as a VP to convince the convention to get him over the threshold I'm 100% cool with it. Whatever works, as long as it's not someone transparently awful. I can't imagine anyone who would enjoy the position of attack dog more than her anyway.
Klob would just need a stapler to become pres if that were to happen.

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I also don't know why Warren wastes time on Bernie - her support in the last few months went to other candidates, not him.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree. Were talking about the DNC in this situation tho, right? Because letting their party burn down over a fucking vanilla mayo pick no one wants is worth it apparently. If they dont want to play this game, no one is forcing them to play it. Its entirely their decision with what they want to do here.
No, you are not. The DNC runs the convention. The people Bernie would be negotiating with in order to make a deal would not be the evil SPECTRE-esque DNC. It would be the other candidates.

A US political convention works like a EU multi-party parliament. With the nomination replacing the ruling coalition and the candidates taking the place of the parties.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can you even find what Bernie has released online? Real question, there are so many stories about it, that I can't actually find what was released. It's buried somewhere under 100 news stories.
He's released a few doctors' letters. Politico has PDFs of them--

It seems different candidates have released different amounts of information about themselves. Warren's, for instance, was more comprehensive.

www.huffpost.com

Elizabeth Warren Is First Democratic Hopeful To Release Medical Records

The Massachusetts senator and presidential candidate is in “excellent health,” Warren’s physician attested.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
Warren truly has the worst political instincts lol. Attacking Bernie on medical records isn't going to get her any votes. It's an attempt to damage him for a contested convention.

That's been Warren's strategy for a while. Hope for a contested convention and push yourself as the unity candidate that can defeat Trump. The problem with that is that there's no way Warren is securing the nomination if she's running at 4th or 5th in delegates, on top of that she frequently polls the worst in H2H matchups against Trump compared to Bernie/Biden/Bloomberg. She needs to start winning states.

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting to see Sanders being given a pass for changing his mind on something (saying he'd release the full medical history then going back on it) while Warren is attacked for changing her mind on something.
Yes, because the medical records is a manufactured issue.

Warren taking Super PAC money isn't. It's actually important.

Status
Not open for further replies.