• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who's Going to Win South Carolina?

• Joe Biden

Votes: 585 39.2%
  • Bernie Sanders

Votes: 853 57.2%
  • Elizabeth Warren

Votes: 24 1.6%
  • Pete Buttigieg

Votes: 7 0.5%
  • THE KLOBBERER

Votes: 16 1.1%
  • Tom Steyer

Votes: 6 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is literally any criticism of Bernie considered "scorched earth" now? Like, this is the most gentle criticism I can think of.

If this is enough to set Bernie's supporters off there is going to be a total meltdown when Trump starts in on him.
Great observation. The last thing we need is for voters to be mad at Trump.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's amazing. White political figures can always deflect and invoke some pure innocent White magical pearl clutching Leave It To Beaver nonsense. Let's ignore that Bernie is right and OMG do you see what his online supporters say? They are so mean and rude! Lets ignore the robbery against the average American, do you see how mean these accounts on Twitter are?

This is no different than Trump, engaging in all his deeds against the American people then invoking civility while concern trolling about Jay-Zs language as a deflection. "These n-words that criticize me use curse words!".

Any day now I'm expecting a panelist on TV to say "Bernie says he wants to fight for the American worker but my mommy and daddy told me fighting is bad."

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt Warren would endorse Klob over Bernie, I think her campaign is just trying to get back in it by any means necessary and leaning into the Bernie being divisive thing is probably being pushed by the people around her as the strategic move to make.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Would the party that constantly gives Trump the military spending, trade deals, & border wall funding he wants really let Bloomberg enact his policies with no pushback?"

youstupid.gif

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt Warren would endorse Klob over Bernie, I think her campaign is just trying to get back in it by any means necessary and leaning into the Bernie being divisive thing is probably being pushed by the people around her as the strategic move to make.

I dunno, she's been incredibly hostile with Sanders, and every debate and post primary speech was mainly Warren talking up how Klobuchar is so great, and how she's standing up against the other, etc.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I like how some are believing that Democrats will hold Bloomberg accountable when Trump is allowed to run roughshoud over the White House right now. It is insane to believe that enough democrats will do anything. Far more likely is that any democrat house or senate member trying to prevent Bloomberg's policies to pass will be hit with "but but but unity!" instead.
It won't even come to that appeal. Bloomberg will effectively find a way to bribe his support.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Weird that they can only change the rules for him if its helping him I suppose.
You're talking about the debate. Which is different than running for the nomination. Yes, the rules were changed. He still barely made it. He's not accepting donations - meaning he was never going to meet that requirement. The rules never envisioned someone not taking donations. His polling indicates he would have had donation support anyway, if he were accepting them.

He's been able to gain his popularity without debates thus far. He's already a major threat and nobody has been able to directly confront him. He's been running a general election campaign with zero opposition. He needed to be at the debate stage at some point - sooner rather than later.

Oct 26, 2017
UK

Didn't she endorse Clinton over Bernie in 2016 despite them still apparently being close friends and sharing political ideologies? Her relationship with Bernie seems to be far more contentious than it was back then.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, she's been incredibly hostile with Sanders, and every debate and post primary speech was mainly Warren talking up how Klobuchar is so great, and how she's standing up against the other, etc.

yeah I'm assuming that her campaign sees this as her best way back in, to lean into the negative Sanders stuff while playing up the unity angle

Didn't she endorse Clinton over Bernie in 2016 despite them still apparently being close friends and sharing political ideologies? Her relationship with Bernie seems to be far more contentious than it was back then.

she endorsed in June far past when Sanders had been out of contention

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
She endorsed Clinton on June 9th, well after Bernie was mathematically eliminated.

You and I have different definitions of "incredibly hostile".

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You're talking about the debate. Which is different than running for the nomination. Yes, the rules were changed. He still barely made it. He's not accepting donations - meaning he was never going to meet that requirement. The rules never envisioned someone not taking donations. His polling indicates he would have had donation support anyway, if he were accepting them.

He's been able to gain his popularity without debates thus far. He's already a major threat and nobody has been able to directly confront him. He's been running a general election campaign with zero opposition. He needed to be at the debate stage at some point - sooner rather than later.
Ive already explained numerous times why this line of thinking is wrong and youre going to see for yourself when he gets up on stage. Chuck Todd is not going to push him on these topics. At best you'll get 10 minutes to attack him on stop and frisk and buying an election, and then 2 hours of him selling his platform. Dems had no real reason to just bend rules to him and yet they did it anyway.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think people put too much clout into media narratives of Bernie/Warren division.
Wasn't that after Clinton won California and Bernie mathematically couldn't win anymore?

dots

Oct 27, 2017
"Incredibly hostile?" Come on. They had one disagreement, and she is saying what every other candidate and news organization is saying about Bernie's supporters. After months and months of them mischaracterizing her and her positions, I can't say I blame her.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Honest question:

Can someone tell me what platform Bloomberg is running on other than he is rich and wants to prove he can do it? Like, Christ. How is that supposed to inspire confidence and enthusiasm to get people out to vote in the most important election of our lifetimes?

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ive already explained numerous times why this line of thinking is wrong and youre going to see for yourself when he gets up on stage. Chuck Todd is not going to push him on these topics. At best you'll get 10 minutes to attack him on stop and frisk and buying an election, and then 2 hours of him selling his platform. Dems had no real reason to just bend rules to him and yet they did it anyway.
My hope is that Bloomberg is so bad at this that he like... recites oppo against himself and then says those are mean tweets.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Ive already explained numerous times why this line of thinking is wrong and youre going to see for yourself when he gets up on stage. Chuck Todd is not going to push him on these topics. At best you'll get 10 minutes to attack him on stop and frisk and buying an election, and then 2 hours of him selling his platform. Dems had no real reason to just bend rules to him out and they did it anyway.
I mean, your thinking is actually factually wrong. He's already a force without being at debates. He's been able to hijack the entire primary process and essentially run his own so far. He's had great results doing that. He's already viable and he's already a threat to the nomination. That's on you for choosing to ignore that I guess.

Yes, Chuck Todd will be his usual terrible self. But the candidates, if they're savvy enough, will navigate through that. If they fail to do that, they have only themselves to blame.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
yeah I'm assuming that her campaign sees this as her best way back in, to lean into the negative Sanders stuff while playing up the unity angle
It's a rather silly idea even for them. it's not Sanders that's eating into her support anymore it's Bloomberg and the rest. The only notable thing about warren is her good policies and track record if she's just acting like every other centrist she'll be stuck in the same no-mans land that cost her Iowa and NH. She's not right wing or centrist enough to be a right leaning Dem's preferred candidate and she's not left enough for the opposite. There's a whole bunch of centrist candidates eating each others vote. Sticking with that lot means you'll just end up bottom of the pile

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honest question:

Can someone tell me what platform Bloomberg is running on other than he is rich and wants to prove he can do it? Like, Christ. How is that supposed to inspire confidence and enthusiasm to get people out to vote in the most important election of our lifetimes?
He also wants to make sure Bernie doesn't win

Oct 26, 2017
UK
It seems like she was in no rush to support Bernie last time and given her strained relationship I'd imagine she's even less likely to support him early this time around?

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Bloomberg will continue blasting the airwaves regardless of whether he is let into the debates because he has so much money he literally cannot be de-platformed.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
Ive already explained numerous times why this line of thinking is wrong and youre going to see for yourself when he gets up on stage. Chuck Todd is not going to push him on these topics. At best you'll get 10 minutes to attack him on stop and frisk and buying an election, and then 2 hours of him selling his platform. Dems had no real reason to just bend rules to him out and they did it anyway.

I'm ready to see a debate with Bloom in it now, but what I worry about is if Bernie spends a significant portion of time laying into Bloom that the media will frame it as bullying instead of much needed criticism. Discussion of critical points brought up about Bloomberg's ideologies will get overshadowed by discussion of the tone of how those criticisms were presented. I think there are people chomping at the bit to add to the narrative of negative Bernie supporters by saying Bernie himself is now becoming unhinged as well.

dots

Oct 27, 2017
Honest question:

He does not like Trump on a personal level and wants to beat him. He might feel some guilt after 2016. Biden is running based on guilt for not running on 2016, and blames himself for Trump being in office. I think Bloomberg is coming from a similar place.

As for his platform, it's nothing inspiring. He's running almost entirely on "not Trump."

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a rather silly idea even for them. it's not Sanders that's eating into her support anymore it's Bloomberg and the rest. The only notable thing about warren is her good policies and track record if she's just acting like every other centrist she'll be stuck in the same no-mans land that cost her Iowa and NH. She's not right wing or centrist enough to be a right leaning Dem's preferred candidate and she's not left enough for the opposite. There's a whole bunch of centrist candidates eating each others vote. Sticking with that lot means you'll just end up bottom of the pile

this is why I've been critical of her campaign strategy ever since she Pete successfully hit her on M4A, her campaign has been flailing ever since but in ways that like you said will just leave her at the bottom of the pile. she essentially ran away from herself to try and gain back support and she's only lost more because of it.

the people running her campaign have not been great, you can really tell they're the dream team of past failed campaigns

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, your thinking is actually factually wrong. He's already a force without being at debates. He's been able to hijack the entire primary process and essentially run his own so far. He's had great results doing that. He's already viable and he's already a threat to the nomination. That's on you for choosing to ignore that I guess.

Yes, Chuck Todd will be his usual terrible self. But the candidates, if they're savvy enough, will navigate through that. If they fail to do that, they have only themselves to blame.
What is factually wrong about what I said lol? I didn't say he wasn't polling well without debates. You and I have different definitions of great results. Hes had solid results that are nowhere close to getting him the nomination. We just went over this yesterday and then you stopped replying to me. Getting 3rd and 4th in the polls in some states and in some cases 2nd isn't going to be anywhere near enough to win the nomination. Its irrelevant, it doesn't matter. Let him blow money on ads while racking up next to no delegates. What threat to the nomination? He doesn't even have a single delegate? His only shot is to hope for a contested convention and then get handed the nomination without having the most votes or delegates. Its on you for not realizing that that is a hail mary unlikely to ever happen.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Bloomberg was mayor of NYC for 12 years and has run campaigns before. People hoping for a full meltdown are in for a bad day, the man is composed.
They're hoping for a level of incompetence he hasn't shown or given a whiff off yet. To put simply everything so far has gone to his plan even though the plan seemed crazy to an outside observer. I highly doubt it was luck either. If you don't think he has planned for this which was literally his only path to winning to the nom I don't know what to tell you at this point. The media will spin his performance as a success regardless. All he has to do is not implode. He doesn't have to do well or mediocre just not implode.

it can't be understated how much of a nightmare scenario it would be if bloomberg was the nominee. Trump managed to win by razor-thin margins last time, if people get it in their heads that the choice in november is between two trumps, we're cooked.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They're hoping for a level of incompetence he hasn't shown or given a whiff off yet. To put simply everything so far has gone to his plan even though the plan seemed crazy to an outside observer. I highly doubt it was luck either. If you don't think he has planned for this which was literally his only path to winning to the nom I don't know what to tell you at this point. The media will spin his performance as a success regardless. All he has to do is not implode. He doesn't have to do well or mediocre just not implode.
Exactly. For reference look at Joe Biden. Dude has been awful on the debate stage for over a year and the media has done nothing but champion him while polling for him remained favorable up until Iowa.

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
Certainly. However, I think everyone in the world acknowledges that she was a flawed candidate who messed up pretty badly in some aspects of her campaign.

This kind of thinking always irks me. If she was flawed what was Trump? Trump broke all the rules, made every mistake, and had controversy after controversy and still won. No candidate is "perfect" - they are all flawed. And no campaign, even the wins that win, are run perfectly mistake-free. There are bumps and issues in all runs.

God I wish a conversation could go two posts without ridiculous DNC boogie man conspiracy shit.

Maybe it is just what I see on twitter, but literally any and all criticism of Bernie, or his followers, or any rationale or support for any other candidate is just rebranded by his surrogates as "the dnc moderates corporate-controlled shills!". Or hit back with "how dare you attack the most diverse campaign ever put together???!?!?!"

Lesson should be: don't trust polls and forecasts, they tend to obfuscate truths like Clinton was wildly unpopular and her campaign was run by idiots who didn't bother to fight for Wisconsin

Then trust what? She was wildly unpopular but won the nomination or we claiming she stole that with the help of the DNC?

Snowy

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
"Incredibly hostile?" Come on. They had one disagreement, and she is saying what every other candidate and news organization is saying about Bernie's supporters. After months and months of them mischaracterizing her and her positions, I can't say I blame her.

She has been consistently critical, if you think that is more fair, and is pretty clearly running as a unity candidate for some kind of contested "maybe we can try to ratfuck Bernie" convention scenario, as her electoral path seems pretty clearly foreclosed upon.

It's hard to see how Bernie voters wouldn't be suspicious of this.

TheAndyMan

Banned
Feb 11, 2019
Utah
Reading this thread and thinking about all these desperate attacks on Bernie by the news media has me thinking of #fakenews .

Fake news isn't only junk news sites and conspiracies...

I don't even think "real news" (NyTimes,CNN)represents "just the facts" nor did it ever.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"I don't like Trump but I'll vote for Bloomberg if it means getting him out!!!"

Not only will this not happen, but millennials and Gen Z would give up on the Democratic Party altogether. But this is a chance worth taking because....

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2018 Democrats: Thank you Ni.... Black People!!

2020 Democrats: All Hail Bloomberg! (shhh, you Ns don't want Trump do you???)

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey

That is why people were mad she didnt endorse him during the race in her home state that he barely lost. It was a calculated move to bernie people. Many who originally wanted her in the race before he ran. The fact that she didnt go against clinton was the first issue. The second was not endorsing sanders and waiting till it was over like with standing rock

Status
Not open for further replies.