• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who's Going to Win South Carolina?

• Joe Biden

Votes: 585 39.2%
  • Bernie Sanders

Votes: 853 57.2%
  • Elizabeth Warren

Votes: 24 1.6%
  • Pete Buttigieg

Votes: 7 0.5%
  • THE KLOBBERER

Votes: 16 1.1%
  • Tom Steyer

Votes: 6 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
She's right you know
Actually she is.

She stated all candidates have some responsibility around their supporters and she's 100% correct, of course.
What is Bernie supposed to do about a loud minority of people engaging in toxic behaviors? He already condemned them and said he doesn't consider them a part of the movement. I'm honestly not sure what else can be done besides Bernie personally asking each and every one of their accounts to stop being shitheads.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Warren was asked a question and she answered. Bernie doesn't know everything his supporters are saying or doing, and I don't know how clear it is that Sanders supporters are exclusively being assholes, but the Warren/Bernie thing from last month did showcase a lot of crap that I do no like to see.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Over and over I feel like Warren panics when cornered, and this doesn't do much to dissuade that feeling. She was better off going on the offensive to candidates besides the one most ideologically aligned with her.

she clearly doesn't want my vote, anyway. that much is clear

Pretty much.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How have we arrived to a point where Bernie needs to account for every single one of his online supporters who have ever said a mean word so that we can be civil and polite while in a battle with a PoS like Trump?

Like god damn are Dems good at losing.

Oct 25, 2017
He should just not have a passionate base that is distrustful of power.

I've got to be honest, I don't get Warren recently. I was firmly in her camp as she had the same policies as Sanders, but looked to be more likely to get moderate votes just by telling emotional stories. At some point in the last month or so, its felt like she's just trying so hard to differentiate herself from him that it comes across as petty. I'm not even sure if I'd be interested as her being VP anymore.

Deleted member 19844

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
Looks like it was directly related to the post where they said they'd vote Trump over Bernie and for "inflammatory support". I don't know what that means. I was looking forward to their response to my post, but that's because I enjoy torturing myself.
I don't know what that means either and I don't think the post warrants the ban (based on what I can see).
I don't think the person should have been banned - maybe I am reading their post wrong. A warning or something, but perma banned?
I don't think so either. I don't even know that a warning would be warranted.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
I've got to be honest, I don't get Warren recently. I was firmly in her camp as she had the same policies as Sanders, but looked to be more likely to get moderate votes just by telling emotional stories. At some point in the last month or so, its felt like she's just trying so hard to differentiate herself from him that it comes across as petty. I'm not even sure if I'd be interested as her being VP anymore.

She's getting bad advice.

Jun 20, 2019
This is the exact playbook that was used against Occupy: Fixate on decorum and ignore any substantive issues.

An angry crowd is never polite, so no groundswell political movement can ever pass the "decorum" test. It's an argument that is meant to attack the type of support Sanders has (grass-roots, passionate, uncoordinated) rather than anything of substance in the support.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is Bernie supposed to do about a loud minority of people engaging in toxic behaviors? He already condemned them and said he doesn't consider them a part of the movement. I'm honestly not sure what else can be done besides Bernie personally asking each and every one of their accounts to stop being shitheads.
I'm not a politician or a political consultant. It's not for me to figure out.

I guess he could shitcan some of his more toxic high level staff?

Jun 20, 2019
Union strikers aren't polite either but that does not nullify the justice of their cause or the necessity for people of good will to support it.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm not a politician or a political consultant. It's not for me to figure out.

I guess he could shitcan some of his more toxic high level staff?
Who is "toxic high level staff" for Bernie?

Bernie has been preaching literally the opposite of what the vocal minorities online have been engaging in. I'm failing to understand how he is supposed to be responsible for their behaviors.

For someone like Trump, for example, you can pinpoint his rhetoric and tone that gets people into a frenzy/encourages their worst impulses. It's a direct contrast for Sanders.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How have we arrived to a point where Bernie needs to account for every single one of his online supporters who have ever said a mean word so that we can be civil and polite while in a battle with a PoS like Trump?

exactly. If she's serious about her comments here, she's a worse candidate than I thought.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Same. I never put Warren as someone who plays political games, which is something that I actually liked about her. These past few months have had some very dishonest sniping from her campaign.

Kayla

Oct 28, 2017
She isn't. And to be honest, fuck the Culinary Union and anyone else opposed to Medicare For All. There is no good argument for the half-measure bullshit that Buttigieg and the like are proposing.

I side eye any democrat that opposes Medicare for all. It screams "eww I don't want to have the same healthcare as poors"

culinary union leadership is pretty much "fuck you got mine"

also warren Has shown her true colors and she stinks. I don't even want Her floated as a vp anymore.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who is "toxic high level staff" for Bernie?
Gosh there's so many! Turner, Sirota, Weaver, Gray, etc.

She isn't. And to be honest, fuck the Culinary Union and anyone else opposed to Medicare For All. There is no good argument for the half-measure bullshit that Buttigieg and the like are proposing. The CU got called out for distributing FUD fliers on M4A and rightly so.
No, she definitely is.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seriously if Warren's political instincts are this bad and shes going to continue trying to kick up petty fights with a close friend and front runner maybe having her on a potential Sanders staff isn't a great idea.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Ignoring the Staff Post with Regards to Metacommentary and Hostility; Inflammatory Point of Comparison
You bernie people around here are delusional as fuck. The average Bernie bro on twitter is just as toxic if not more so then the trump fuckheads. Say a word that is even slightly not positive about Bernie and its like the Mongol fucking horde comes rolling in to rape and pillage

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The illusory truth effect murmuring in liberal echo chambers that has boogeyman'd the likes of Sirota, Turner, and Gray will never cease to be demented and also a little funny because like seven people feel that way

You bernie people around here are delusional as fuck. The average Bernie bro on twitter is just as toxic if not more so then the trump fuckheads. Say a word that is even slightly not positive about Bernie and its like the Mongol fucking horde comes rolling in to rape and pillage

quick question: what the fuck?

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
User Banned (1 Week): Ignoring the Staff Post With Regards to Metacommentary
Let's be real here, there's nothing Warren could do besides drop out and endorse Bernie that you people wouldn't bitch and moan about.

She attacks other candidates; I wish she would focus on policy. She focuses on policy; she just seems so boring. She avoids bringing up that she's a woman; man why isn't she talking about her experience more. She talks about being a woman and facing sexism; Omg always with the identity politics. She panders to center left voters; what a misstep jeez. She panders to far left voters; she's still unelectable, did you know she used to be a Republican???

Just take the masks off already.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017

You're not wrong, based on my experiences interacting with self-identifying Bernie supporters... just wrong in terms of using the word "average". Most Bernie supporters are silent majority types, I'm sure.

S0Yb5IX.png

Also, it's worth remembering that the participants in this thread are not at all representative of the electorate.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

Yes, Bernie Bros are just as toxic as MAGA white supremacist Trump voters. They are literally rapists. Thank you for the nuance.

Let's be real here, there's nothing Warren could do besides drop out and endorse Bernie that you people wouldn't bitch and moan about.

She attacks other candidates; I wish she would focus on policy. She focuses on policy; she just seems so boring. She avoids bringing up that she's a woman; man why isn't she talking about her experience more. She talks about being a woman and facing sexism; Omg always with the identity politics. She panders to center left voters; what a misstep jeez. She ponders to fat left voters; she's still unelectable, did you know she used to be a Republican???

Nice generalizations.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
She isn't. And to be honest, fuck the Culinary Union and anyone else opposed to Medicare For All. There is no good argument for the half-measure bullshit that Buttigieg and the like are proposing. The CU got called out for distributing FUD fliers on M4A and rightly so.
I side eye any democrat that opposes Medicare for all. It screams "eww I don't want to have the same healthcare as poors"

culinary union leadership is pretty much "fuck you got mine"

also warren Has shown her true colors and she stinks. I don't even want Her floated as a vp anymore.
Yup. Healthcare is a human right. Anyone who disagrees can go in the deplorable pile.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

She should probably just drop out and endorse Bernie then since she has literally no path to the nomination outside of a contested convention, and even then she'll have a pitifully low number of delegates

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

She attacks other candidates; I wish she would focus on policy. She focuses on policy; she just seems so boring. She avoids bringing up that she's a woman; man why isn't she talking about her experience more. She talks about being a woman and facing sexism; Omg always with the identity politics. She panders to center left voters; what a misstep jeez. She panders to far left voters; she's still unelectable, did you know she used to be a Republican???

yeah I don't think the people who criticized her for being too far left are the Bernie supporters here. but go off

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're not wrong, based on my experiences interacting with self-identifying Bernie supporters... just wrong in terms of using the word "average". Most Bernie supporters are silent majority types, I'm sure.

S0Yb5IX.png

Also, it's worth remembering that the participants in this thread are not at all representative of the electorate.
I have no problem with the average Bernie supporter. Hell I am voting for him at the end of the day if he is the nominee. It just really frustrating to see people deny what everyone else sees. Sanders can certainly do more including getting right into the face of his Toxic element and say chill the fuck out. At least when I criticize trump all I get are wackjob conspiracy people spouting crackedout garbage. Say something about Bernie and they are ready to burn you at the stake for not being a real democrat

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Well I can safely say I've never seen a Bernie supporter call an entire group of supporters rapists, so there's that.

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
Nice generalizations.

Unlike the broad generalizations of everyone that's not a Sanders supporter being some establishment shill? Blaming Democrats for "lining up behind Bloomberg" when literally every candidate is launching full throated attacks against him? Grouping everyone who disagrees with you into the amalgamous blob of "the establishment" is a good way to build coalitions after all.

She should probably just drop out and endorse Bernie then since she has literally no path to the nomination outside of a contested convention, and even then she'll have a pitifully low number of delegates
Yea it would be a real shame for a candidate with no chance of winning the nomination to fight all the way to the convention just to take ideological shots at the eventual nominee.

yeah I don't think the people who criticized her for being too far left are the Bernie supporters here. but go off
My point is she could literally advocate for the abolishment of capitalism and full worker control of the manufacturing sector and people would still jump through hoops to point out she registered as a Republican.

Nocturne

Oct 25, 2017
i too agree that people angry about a world dying around them and a system that has failed them and in many ways has been designed to keep them miserable and in debt are exactly the same, even more toxic even, than the people screaming about how all muslim people in the country must be deported

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine calling other people toxic while making comments like this.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

I was in the same boat. She flubbed her messaging hard. I think it started around M4A and went downhill from there. I think she's still super smart and if she remains in the Senate, I'd be happy, but she can't run a Presidential campaign clearly.

Clearly it's just the discourse around Bernie and not Internet subculture in general. Just look at Kobe supporters when it comes to people Gayle King.

Deleted member 10551

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I think some of those Dems would rather have Bernie lose than Bernie win.

As for toxicity- when you have the mainstream media going Toxic on Bernie aka Chuck Todd, it's no surprise a few of his supporters want to hand out a receipt, even though it's wrong.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm so over people talking about toxicity with bernie bros who also constantly bring up the women of color on Bernie's staff as qualifying as such because they made a mistake over terminating some employee in the past. Everyone here knows what youre doing.

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

She attacks other candidates; I wish she would focus on policy. She focuses on policy; she just seems so boring. She avoids bringing up that she's a woman; man why isn't she talking about her experience more. She talks about being a woman and facing sexism; Omg always with the identity politics. She panders to center left voters; what a misstep jeez. She ponders to fat left voters; she's still unelectable, did you know she used to be a Republican???

She's bad at doing all of these things though. She attacks Bernie on dumb disingenuous bullshit like "mean supporters" and "He's funded by DARK MONEY". Her policy pitch is wonky and doesn't excite people. And the rest of your examples are made up. No one asked her to run on identity politics and no one really cares that she's doing it.

There's my mask off moment. I'm not sure what you're expecting though.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Unlike the broad generalizations of everyone that's not a Sanders supporter being some establishment shill? Blaming Democrats for "lining up behind Bloomberg" when literally every candidate is launching full throated attacks against him? Grouping everyone who disagrees with you into the amalgamous blob of "the establishment" is a good way to build coalitions after all.

Stop talking past people here and address the posts actually being written here. Beating up a strawman isn't productive.

Nocturne

Oct 25, 2017
all those people complaining about warren no matter what she does are exactly the same people every single time, that sounds correct yeah

Status
Not open for further replies.