• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who's Going to Win South Carolina?

• Joe Biden

Votes: 585 39.2%
  • Bernie Sanders

Votes: 853 57.2%
  • Elizabeth Warren

Votes: 24 1.6%
  • Pete Buttigieg

Votes: 7 0.5%
  • THE KLOBBERER

Votes: 16 1.1%
  • Tom Steyer

Votes: 6 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020
Gotta win at the state level to make that happen, republicans have been cleaning up there for decades. President can't do shit about gerrymandering
Yup! We should focus on taking back state houses and get states to sign on to the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact. Neither Bush or Trump would have been elected if it weren't for the broken Electoral College system.

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No one deserves toxicity. It's just ugliness that outshouts the actual issues. If people really want Bloomberg out of the race, just let him talk. Trust that people are smart enough to decide without the need to spit venom.

Both Trump's victory and Bloomberg's rise prove that's a bad strategy. He needs to be held accountable and challenged in-person for people to see what a snake he is, which is why the people who were saying he shouldn't be in the debates were wrong.

No Joe Biden, we don´t need to work with Republicans, we need to beat them. It´s a different approach.

Speaking of Joe Biden's "Republicans will work with me" fairy tale, Bernie's idea about how to deal with them is no better:

According to Sanders, he will travel to McConnell's home state of Kentucky because "when the people of Kentucky are demanding to raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour or health care for all or making their schools . . . tuition free, that's the basis of negotiation. OK? . . . You make an offer to Mitch McConnell that he cannot refuse, and that is what the American people want to move in a different direction."

Joe assumes Republicans are his friends who will play ball, Bernie assumes Republicans care about what people want. Both ideas are naive fantasies that ignore the past 12 years.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Both Trump's victory and Bloomberg's rise prove that's a bad strategy. He needs to be held accountable and challenged in-person for people to see what a snake he is, which is why the people who were saying he shouldn't be in the debates were wrong.

Speaking of Joe Biden's "Republicans will work with me" fairy tale, Bernie's idea about how to deal with them is no better:

Joe assumes Republicans are his friends who will play ball, Bernie assumes Republicans care about what people want. Both ideas are naive fantasies that ignore the past 12 years.
yeah no. I prefer deplatforming. don't let Bloomberg on that stage w/ legitimate candidates - don't boost his voice anymore than his money can carry him.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
yeah no. I prefer deplatforming. don't let Bloomberg on that stage w/ legitimate candidates - don't boost his voice anymore than his money can carry him.
I mean deplatforming is kinda hard to provide when the person you're trying to deplatform has billions of dollars.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Wasn't Klobuchar really abusive to her employees? I'd have thought that'd have done her in more than this.
She was and also has a pretty shitty track record with police/criminal justice/minority issues and she's voted to confirm a bunch of Trump's judges for some unknown reason. She's a pretty bad candidate.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
Mike Bloomberg is a racist, oligarch. It is known.

He also makes company with people who run illegal sex rings.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't mind Bloomberg being in the debate if the moderators would hold him accountable for his record and leave him alone to get beaten up by the other candidates.

I do not trust NBC/MSNBC to do that.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Nobody really cared because she's been largely irrelevant in this race. Now that she has some momentum people are digging into her record and it's not pretty.

This. I honestly barely heard her name until like 3 months ago. I don't know how much traction the stories are getting though. Getting more than double Warren's votes in NH is kinda scary.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Bloomberg released an attack ad against "Bernie Bros"

I've been saying this, but I have to say it again- Bloomberg isn't the guy to beat Trump. If you can't handle a few very online leftists mocking you in memes, how will you handle the kind of heat that the Troll in Chief will throw at you for the next 8 months? Trump can be fucking savage and he has the largest platform in the world. Bloomberg is too thin-skinned for this shit.

SolarPowered

Oct 28, 2017

"'Jews will not replace us!' And then having a Jew literally replace them, would be so satisfying." God damn, what a powerful message.

I can't remember which debate it was, January or February, but I was watching it with friends and he literally said a variant of "turn the page" like 4-5 times. It was insane watching someone so desperately try to sound professional and poetic while saying literally nothing.

This ad really grabs you by the collar and forces you to pay attention.

A+
Bloomberg is a billionaire. He was also the Mayor of NYC and has immense political power, having funded many campaigns including Republicans as early as 2018.

He is absolutely, unequivocally an Oligarch. What he represents is an existential threat to American democracy.
Trump is bending democracy to it's very limits, but I think Bloomberg really might just break it. There will be a mile long line of billionaires looking forward to directly steering the wheel at both parties going forward if he becomes the nominee. It's about as bleak a future as it can get. Who will even be able to tell the truth anymore when both candidates can pump 2-10 billion into a presidential campaign? Imagine if Bloomberg had announced last year alongside Warren and spent 2 billion dollars blasting his fake ass ads on TV for an ENTIRE YEAR on end. It makes me sick to my stomach. People really don't understand what they're voting for. Fuck free healthcare. I really might move to Canada just for their 3 month primary schedule lol.
Thinking the GOP will ever moderate and turn around is a fantasy.
They were seriously having this discussion after Obama won and the softer side likely would have won the argument had Hillary done her job and won in 2016. Unfortunately she lost and the clock has been reset. Boomers can't live forever, though. Every four years winning the presidency will only become harder and harder even with help from the electoral college.

GottaBelieve

May 11, 2019
Can you elaborate on why you feel Pete's multiple acts of racism shouldn't immediately disqualify him for the Democratic nomination?

There is no way I can answer that question in a manner which will satisfy you, based on the way the question was asked.

But I suppose it depends which acts you're referring to. The firing of the police chief, while pretty dumb, was not motivated by race from what Ive researched. His quote about black youth needing better role models was ignorant and dumb, but i don't think it came from a negative place.

The whole thing with the T-shirts worn by South Bend police abhorrent, but that was more on the police force than the mayor (and his quote about it is frequently misquoted).

I hear you. I try to be open minded. Based on what I know, I think Pete has a ways to go on working for African Americans. But I also believe he actually wants to learn how he can do just that.

Oct 27, 2017
First off I wasn't taking to you. I was telling the person who was talking out of their ass as to why people support Sanders and why he's a lock for the white house.

I do like that he's brought more people into politics. Apathy is dangerous, but ignorance is equally so. I would hope that anyone interested in politics and being a part of the process would do their homework and actually understand what makes the candidates different and why people feel the way they do.

I'm not sure why you are offended on behalf of someone else, but you do you chief. It still doesn't change the fact that the four bullets this user included for why Sanders would win make no sense and are crafted straight from fantasy land.

I didn't realize that this thread was actually a private conversation between you and that other poster, and that people weren't allowed to chip in and/or give their thoughts. Maybe we should ask a mod to change the thread title to something more suitable, like 'Casper's political OT of centrist reality and mean leftist fantasy land.'

Also, if there was one serious point to make from my (admittedly unwitty) post, it was being baffled by how utterly condescending your post was. But you managed to outdo yourself in your followup while also calling me chief, so congrats.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't realize that this thread was actually a private conversation between you and that other poster, and that people weren't allowed to chip in and/or give their thoughts. Maybe we should ask a mod to change the thread title to something more suitable, like 'Casper's political OT of centrist reality and mean leftist fantasy land.'

Also, if there was one serious point to make from my (admittedly unwitty) post, it was being baffled by how utterly condescending your post was. But you managed to outdo yourself in your followup while also calling me chief, so congrats.

I like that OT title. Maybe when we hit the next round.

And that's Caspah. I was born in Boston and it's an attempt at being funny, friend. It's how my mah used to say it when I would watch the cartoon.

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Deplatforming works on most people, but billionaires aren't most people. He can buy his way on to any platform he wants and present himself in the best light possible, he can't be deplatformed the way most people can.

I get that. but putting him on stage is such a weird "marketplace of ideas" strategy. talk shit about him and don't let him on stage > talk shit about him while he can respond.

I don't care about the marketplace of ideas, I care about pieces of shit being held accountable. A few potshots at the debates aren't going to cut it, and I wouldn't expect anything more substantial unless the moderators make his shittiness a focus, which is unlikely. He has no redeeming qualities, and putting him next to everyone else will only make them look better.

Oct 25, 2017
How there are liberals that are OK with what Bloomberg is doing is baffling.
Maybe not as baffling because it's what I expect of them, but good God. I can't believe they'd stoop so low to defend someone who is a fuckton worse than Trump.

Today's been shit.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
NoHomers2.jpg

"Sorry Bloomberg, no Billionaires allowed."
"But what about Steyer?"
"It's no Billionaires, we're allowed to have one."

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017

That Bloomberg wants to steer the conversation to be about tone policing and toxicity is his strategy.

As a Bernie supporter, it's simultaneously true that his more militant online supporters do a huge disservice to his candidacy and that if this is how Bloomberg is going to attack him, it's really pathetic.

Seattle6418

Oct 25, 2017
Brasília Brazil
But I also believe he actually wants to learn how he can do just that.

This leads up to the big criticism for Pete: presidency is not the place for an internship. He shouldn´t be learning on the job. He´s got a big future ahead of him because he checks a lot of boxes, but you don´t jump straight from small town mayor to most powerful person on Earth without any stops in between.

He should try to be a representative, a senator, a governor, i mean, anything before jumping to president without learning a bunch of stuff.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deplatforming works on most people, but billionaires aren't most people. He can buy his way on to any platform he wants and present himself in the best light possible, he can't be deplatformed the way most people can.

I don't care about the marketplace of ideas, I care about pieces of shit being held accountable. A few potshots at the debates aren't going to cut it, and I wouldn't expect anything more substantial unless the moderators make his shittiness a focus, which is unlikely. He has no redeeming qualities, and putting him next to everyone else will only make them look better.
If he shows up to the debate, I hope you are right.

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Posting private information without consent
mod edit: removed private information

Last edited by a moderator:

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
I never got why people didn't want Bloomberg at the debates. He's basically been able to define himself because no one has the resources to attack him in the non-early states. This is the first time that a lot of people will actually get to see criticism of Bloomberg.

GottaBelieve

May 11, 2019
This leads up to the big criticism for Pete: presidency is not the place for an internship. He shouldn´t be learning on the job. He´s got a big future ahead of him because he checks a lot of boxes, but you don´t jump straight from small town mayor to most powerful person on Earth without any stops in between.

He should try to be a representative, a senator, a governor, i mean, anything before jumping to president without learning a bunch of stuff.

Dang, well said.

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020
Bernie's strategy on dealing with the Senate is no better than anyone else's because there's only one strategy that will work; Democrats have to win the senate. It's pretty stupid to think you can work with Moscow Mitch and I have no idea why Bernie would even consider that to be an option. In order to take the senate Democrats will have to turn out in droves in the general, and if the turnout in NH is any indication there might just be a glimmer of hope. I'm not gonna lie though the odds are looking pretty stacked against democrats, only hope is to have even more turnout that 2008. And even then, with Republicans being so energized, that might not be enough to win seats in red states.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never got why people didn't want Bloomberg at the debates. He's basically been able to define himself because no one has the resources to attack him in the non-early states. This is the first time that a lot of people will actually get to see criticism of Bloomberg.
im worried that he either competently defends himself or that the Biden thing happens of people just choosing to not attack him over very obvious shortcomings.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
I am a man of peace but man I really feel like punching a motherfucker every time I read another piece of bullshit from or about Bloomberg. Dude is so fucking disingenuous and the people who care more about civility than the bigger picture are just ARGHHHH!!!!!!

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The amount of cash Bloomberg has dumped in WA advertising is borderline astonishing. I don't think I've never seen this many ads in a primary period, let alone from one candidate.

No joke, to date I've seen maybe two Bernie ads, 0 Biden, 0 Warren and easily 80+ Bloomberg ads. Every time I watch Youtube, there he is again.

Status
Not open for further replies.