• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who's Going to Win South Carolina?

• Joe Biden

Votes: 585 39.2%
  • Bernie Sanders

Votes: 853 57.2%
  • Elizabeth Warren

Votes: 24 1.6%
  • Pete Buttigieg

Votes: 7 0.5%
  • THE KLOBBERER

Votes: 16 1.1%
  • Tom Steyer

Votes: 6 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You said there's a candidate running on those issues. I know. Warren is.

That's all I'm saying.

...But I didn't say that. Mekanos said that. This conversation and the other conversation have nothing to do with each other.

That's a response to the user who said class warfare is everyone versus billionaires. You kinda made my point for me.

No, my point is that class warfare is focused primarily on billionaires in terms of policy. Quit confusing two different posters.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
It's still so funny that Kasich - the most boring and least charismatic of the 2016 GOP field - is the only one with some dignity and is still openly hostile towards Trump.
Every time I think back to 2016 and almost respect Kasich for never endorsing Trump, I remember he presided over drawing one of the worst gerrymanders in the country. Even when Democrats win 47% of the statewide vote, they still only control 4 out of 16 House seats.

GottaBelieve

May 11, 2019
Every time I've heard him talk policy it's always "no, we can't go that far", so I don't really see how he could be called a progressive in any way.

Pete Buttigieg Official Website

The official website of former Mayor Pete Buttigieg.

If you have the time, check it out.

I totally get why people would have issues with Pete, but I also hope they read his plans. IMO, there are some pretty good ideas within them.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean She is running on those issues.
Yes but you ignored the other half of their argument, which is this person has a good chance at winning the nom. Warren coming in 3rd and 4th and polling no better in any of the upcoming states while bleeding cash doesn't seem to qualify as likely to win the nom.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
Every time I've heard him talk policy it's always "no, we can't go that far", so I don't really see how he could be called a progressive in any way.

What your debating is essentially electoral tactics (aka lies). None of this will matter in a Sanders or Mayo administration. There will be no difference in outcome unless theres an unprecedented historic fucken landslide and Presidento Pete is like 'actually I don't want to break up the banks even though I could do so easily' like its fantasy land it's not even worth entertaining

Seattle6418

Oct 25, 2017
Brasília Brazil
I believe change doesn't require a revolution.

Not every Republican is Mitch or Trump. Being a member of the GOP doesn't mean you are death deserving scum.

On the first point, what we see around the world is that incrementalism has run it's course and is not getting results. The Alt-Right got this message and is winning all over the world by being straight to their point with no compromises. Somehow leftists in many countries still believe that running to the center is the way to go despite no electoral evidence of this still working.

To the second point, i get that not all GOP voters are human trash and that maybe 5-10 of them are OK, but GOP members?

Give me one example, just one, of a decent GOP politician. I don't think such thing exists anymore.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
It's still so funny that Kasich - the most boring and least charismatic of the 2016 GOP field - is the only one with some dignity and is still openly hostile towards Trump.

Kasich is probably the only Republican that was hoping for the Senate to remove Trump. He's been positioning himself as "The answer" for years and as an Ohioan who lived under his attempts to disenfranchise voters and make voting harder among other things, it makes me sick to hear even some dems call him the "reasonable" choice.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
On the first point, what we see around the world is that incrementalism has run it's course and is not getting results. The Alt-Right got this message and is winning all over the world by being straight to their point with no compromises. Somehow leftists in many countries still believe that running to the center is the way to go despite no electoral evidence of this still working.

To the second point, i get that not all GOP voters are human trash and that maybe 5-10 of them are OK, but GOP members?

Give me one example, just one, of a decent GOP politician. I don't think such thing exists anymore.

Basically Romney, he is essentially setting himself up as the potential leader of the new GOP when it burns to ashes and needs to be reborn if Trump makes them a non-viable party.

Also, incrementalism means what exactly? Normal policy? What exactly does "revolution" mean to some of you guys?

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I wish that were the case, and no one is more "tax billionaires so they pay their share" more than I am. But Pew did research recently that shows that the average American believes that people making more than $150k are "rich elites" since the average household makes about a third of that.

It's hard to take these kind of stats seriously because the 150k means very different things to different people due to cost of living differences. Most Americans are still closer to rural than urban and live in regions with much lower cost of living than the big cities, so that skews the "average American's" perception on how far 150k goes. What's a decent living in a place like SF basically allows you to live like a king in Nebraska.

Seattle6418

Oct 25, 2017
Brasília Brazil

Pete Buttigieg Official Website

The official website of former Mayor Pete Buttigieg.

If you have the time, check it out.

I totally get why people would have issues with Pete, but I also hope they read his plans. IMO, there are some pretty good ideas within them.

The problem with Pete, for many people, is not 100% what he says. It´s the fact that he will say and do whatever is best to advance his career. That he appears to be an empty suit who stands for nothing. Bottom line is some have a hard time taking him at face value when he changes his positions as often as they focus test his plans.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's hard to take these kind of stats seriously because the 150k means very different things to different people due to cost of living differences. Most Americans are still closer to rural than urban and live in regions with much lower cost of living than the big cities, so that skews the "average American's" perception on how far 150k goes. What's a decent living in a place like SF basically allows you to live like a king in Nebraska.

That was the point I was trying to make. The whole us versus them piece is lacking context. And as someone who used to live in SF before I moved to Arizona I can tell you that $150k is not enough to thrive there.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
His attempt to make "Medicare for All Who Want It" a thing will rightfully kill his campaign and any chance he has at winning the nomination.

I absolutely despise that phrase, as it implies there are people who just don't want healthcare! Like, what? Everyone wants fucking healthcare, dude. And everyone deserves it, as it is a human right.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's fine and once those votes come in and he falls back enough, then by all means he should drop out. But to say that he doesn't belong in the next debate is weird.

Yea, well I didn't make that post, I'm just replying to your comment that Pete has the second best chance behind Sanders, which is pretty inaccurate.

Zeroro

Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely despise that phrase, as it implies there are people who just don't want healthcare! Like, what? Everyone wants fucking healthcare, dude. And everyone deserves it, as it is a human right.
It's astonishing/kind of horrifying how anybody who works for his campaign thought that was an appealing catchphrase in any way, lmao.

Deleted member 16365

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No lies detected.

Signal-boosting 100% valid criticism of your awful candidate. Bold strategy, let's see if it pays off.

But this also shows that the toxicity isn't coming from nameless internet trolls. That's Bernie's staff. I don't like Bloomberg in the least, but this was a solid move. Bernie has to respond to this.

Seattle6418

Oct 25, 2017
Brasília Brazil
Basically Romney, he is essentially setting himself up as the potential leader of the new GOP when it burns to ashes and needs to be reborn if Trump makes them a non-viable party.

Also, incrementalism means what exactly? Normal policy? What exactly does "revolution" mean to some of you guys?

Romney?

I guess i´m a total angry leftist, because i believe he´s a total scumbag who should´t be allowed in politics.

Incrementalism in american politics is humanizing trickle down economics (GOP in power) or tinkering around the edges when Democrats are in power. Essentially is having huge problems getting worse and coming up with band aids. Think of paper straws to help the environment as an example. Incrementalism means keeping the status quo, never going after the root of the problems. Most of the industrialized world is stuck in this ever since the oil crash in the 70´s, and the neoliberalism that came afterwards is a good hint why many societies are collapsing.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
But this also shows that the toxicity isn't coming from nameless internet trolls. That's Bernie's staff. I don't like Bloomberg in the least, but this was a solid move. Bernie has to respond to this.
This "toxicity" is his staffers calling Bloomberg an oligarch... which he objectively is anyway?

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017

If speaking the truth is toxic, then the bad news is that Bloomberg is toxic and will lose in the general.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Michael Bloomberg deserves every last bit of toxicity coming his way. He's everything wrong with American politics.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Now why do you think his staff was upset with Bloomberg? I'll give you three guesses lol.

Deleted member 16365

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

lmao, that's not toxicity

I think you're confusing 100% pure unadulterated facts with toxicity. happens all the time!

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's less "he's an out of touch billionaire" and more the "he's worse than Trump. You should vote for Trump instead of Bloomberg"

None of the quotes actually said that though. I read the Brie quote on criminal justice as her saying that Trump will compare the criminal justice reform policies he's passed, see: the Alice Johnson commercials during the Super Bowl, to the plethora of audio we have on Bloomberg's thoughts on tackling crime.

Deleted member 16365

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Michael Bloomberg deserves every last bit of toxicity coming his way. He's everything wrong with American politics.

No one deserves toxicity. It's just ugliness that outshouts the actual issues. If people really want Bloomberg out of the race, just let him talk. Trust that people are smart enough to decide without the need to spit venom.

Kay

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
No one deserves toxicity. It's just ugliness that outshouts the actual issues. If people really want Bloomberg out of the race, just let him talk. Trust that people are smart enough to decide without the need to spit venom.
people voted in Trump. I don't trust people for shit.

Wetherell

Nov 26, 2019
My mom in FL, who isn't online at all, has seen dozens of Bloomberg commercials. She told me she likes him. Not for any policy reasons, because the ads have no policy, but because she hates the way Trump behaves. She also likes how Obama endorsed him (even though he hasn't, but I doubt Obama will denounce the ad anyway). The effectiveness of these ads, and the amount of money Bloomberg is able to spend on them, is kind of scary.

Status
Not open for further replies.