• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who's Going to Win South Carolina?

• Joe Biden

Votes: 585 39.2%
  • Bernie Sanders

Votes: 853 57.2%
  • Elizabeth Warren

Votes: 24 1.6%
  • Pete Buttigieg

Votes: 7 0.5%
  • THE KLOBBERER

Votes: 16 1.1%
  • Tom Steyer

Votes: 6 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine owning being called a 'political hack' but think being called a communist is an insult.
tenor.gif

What a loser

May 30, 2018
There is no democratic integrity whatsoever in the primaries, so arguing that it has to be respected is nonsense

If the process HAD integrity than candidates would be able to win off the backs of their policies, charisma, electoral record, and ground game. The budget would be equalized between all the candidates

Tell me, why is Bloomberg polling so well? Is it because of his signature policies (he has none)? His charisma (he has none)? His great electoral record as mayor (it was horrible)?

No, he's polling well because he has by far the most money, so he's inundating the airwaves with ads to boost his name/face, and taking advantage of the fact that millions of Americans will vote whoever has a D next to his name

Complete joke to say Bloomberg should be allowed in the name of fairness. A party should be allowed to remove candidates that they deem unfit to represent them, and Bloomberg is wholly unfit for the job.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nominating Bloomberg also means every moral argument Dems have made against Trump the past 5 years goes out the window.

He will IMMEDIATELY campaign on "The Democrats...they call us racist. They call us sexist. They call us homophobic....yet they have the audacity to nominate someone like Bloomberg!"

He will base his entire campaign on the hypocrisy of it all and he'll win the argument.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
The funny thing is, if Bloomberg wins the nomination somehow the most moral vote choice between the two evils is Trump. Bloomberg is almost identical except he is less likely to die from amphetamine abuse while in office.
If you don't care about gun control, climate change, immigration, reproductive rights, childhood obesity, I mean, I guess Trump is the moral choice.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You count just as much as any other voter in the primary
Of course you count, but the actual arbriters of whether Bloomberg can get support will be the millions of minorities like you who will vote over the next few months.

Ok, I fail to see how "Michael Bloomberg has racist policies that he has enacted upon" has anything to do with "well what if the plurality of minorities vote for him" when he hasn't won a single state and there's literally another candidate that has been doing good with minority votes.

EsqBob

Nov 7, 2017
Nominating Bloomberg also means every moral argument Dems have made against Trump the past 5 years goes out the window.

He will IMMEDIATELY campaign on "The Democrats...they call us racist. They call us sexist. They call us homophobic....yet they have the audacity to nominate someone like Bloomberg!"

He will base his entire campaign on the hypocrisy of it all and he'll win the argument.
Why is Bloomberg racist, sexist and homophobit?

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Okay but you're not saying that, you're defending the democratic integrity of buying elections.
No, I'm not. There should be spending restrictions, but their existence or nonexistence doesn't make Bloomberg's current support invalid. Those voters support him as of now, no matter how they made their decision, and they have the right to express that decision in the Primary.

I'd love if the DNC placed personal spending limits on the primary tomorrow, forcing Bloomberg to start taking donations to run.

Oct 25, 2017
Now we can't be too hard on the minorities backing Bloomberg because?
Does their endorsement erase his past?

Fuck those fools, I only hope for their sake that they're uninformed, otherwise they aren't worth shit in my eye. Literally as bad as minority Trump voters.

Why is Bloomberg racist, sexist and homophobit?
Look at this thread?

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
That's about 17 tweets saying "yeah he is rich and bought himself a lot of power." Not really much of a playbook as much as it is an example of how money in politics works.
It's nice to show all the different ways money can interfere in the process. It is not just about the ads he bought.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Ok, I fail to see how "Michael Bloomberg has racist policies that he has enacted upon" has anything to do with "well what if the plurality of minorities vote for him" when he hasn't won a single state and there's literally another candidate that has been doing good with minority votes.

Because Bloomberg is quickly gaining support among minority voters, whether people on this thread like it or not. So, it's important to actually have a conversation about that possibility. In my perfect world, Bloomberg would've been DOA and Sanders, Warren, Julian Castro, Jay Inslee, and Cory Booker are all getting ready for Nevada. Unfortunately, we don't live in that world.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, again, the solution here is placing spending restrictions. Not disallowing specific individuals from running for the nomination.

It be a start for sure. As for actual claims of not allowing him in. I'd argue that given his proximity to media as the owner of Bloomberg News actually does place him in an unfair position at the start and that rules should prevent him from joining unless he can divorce himself from the close ties to the media or that this fact is always mentioned to show that there might be some subtle bias that can result of it.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
If you don't care about gun control, climate change, immigration, reproductive rights, childhood obesity, I mean, I guess Trump is the moral choice.

lol

do an ounce of research on Bloomberg please. there is nothing to indicate he will lead on any of those issues you care about, and I have zero confidence in a billionaire changing face from just a few years ago was a Republican and threatened third party runs multiple times.

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just a small primer of who Bloomberg is for everyone:

theintercept.com

Michael Bloomberg’s Right-Wing Views on Foreign Policy Make Him a Perfect Candidate for the Republican Nomination

It’s not just domestic policies — Michael Bloomberg’s positions on the Iraq invasion, Saudi Arabia, and Israel-Palestine are extreme.

Bloomberg has spent years lauding Chinese efforts against climate change — which have been far from successful — while preventing journalists at Bloomberg News from publishing pieces critical of the regime in Beijing.

Bloomberg, on the other hand, helped launder the reputation of the crown prince in March 2018, when he hosted the reckless autocrat in New York and smiled for photos with him in a Starbucks.

Have Bloomberg's views of MBS or Saudi Arabia changed in the wake of the Khashoggi killing last October? Nope. Two months ago, the former mayor sat down for an interview with the Saudi-owned newspaper, Arab News, and heaped praise on the economic and social reforms introduced by the crown prince and his father, King Salman, claiming that the Saudi royals had "made progress" and were "going in the right direction."
No mention of Khashoggi's murder. No mention of war crimes in Yemen. No mention of imprisoned women's rights activists.
Then there is the Israel-Palestine conflict. Bloomberg is a longstanding supporter of Israel and especially Benjamin Netanyahu, who he has called a friend and wished him well on his birthday. During both the 2009 and 2014 Israeli assaults on Gaza, Bloomberg flew to Israel to express solidarity with Tel Aviv. "Israel is doing the right thing in defending itself," he said in 2009. "Israel was entirely justified" in attacking Gaza, he declared in 2014.

You might argue that Bloomberg was only parroting the standard liberal defense of Israel but, no, he went much further than that. During the 2014 bombardment of Gaza, in which more more than 500 Palestinian kids were killed, Bloomberg told CBS News that Israel "cannot have a proportional response" when fighting Hamas.
Three years later, in March 2007, the then-mayor of New York backed the Bush administration against congressional Democrats who were trying to set a timetable for the withdrawal of U.S. troops from Iraq. Bloomberg called the proposed legislation irresponsible and "untenable. "
Bloomberg is so right-wing that he makes Biden sound like Bernie. Much has been made of Bloomberg's blind defense of Wall Street, including his astonishing claim that it was Congress and "not the banks that created the mortgage crisis"; his ridiculous comparison of Warren's modest wealth tax to Venezuela; his cynically timed apology for presiding over unconstitutional "stop-and-frisk" practices in New York, as well as his shameful failure to apologize to the city's Muslim residents for subjecting them to an Orwellian surveillance regime.
There is already a right-wing billionaire in the White House who lacks foreign policy experience; supported the Iraq War debacle; and considers the prime minister of Israel, the crown prince of Saudi Arabia, and the president of China to be among his closest friends and allies.

Do we really need another one?

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I just don't agree at all. Party members should have the choice of who runs their party. Failure in this case would be removing that choice from their hands.
I think your disagreement misses some of the key components about how candidacy rules are applied in the U.S. Even at the lowest federated level, let's say State House of Representatives, there are hurdles that must be overcome to appear on the ballot for the primary. In Florida, for example, a candidate must reach a certain number of signed petitions from residents of their district, or pay a flat fee to the state. For candidates selected by a party, the party will offer to cover that fee so the candidate may spend their money and workforce hours elsewhere, essentially eliminating that hurdle due to party favoritism. A candidate not selected by a party has an uphill battle to even qualify for consideration by the public for nomination. This process is deeply undemocratic, and yet we accept it as it is, perhaps because most people don't know about it.

So, at the local level, the party may choose to attempt to block someone they do not like from becoming a genuine choice in an election by refusing to offer help. This undemocratic process has pros and cons: a poor person may not be able to gather the attention or resources to appear on the ballot, but the party can also prevent prospective candidates who do not represent the platform or interests of the party from campaigning as easily.

Would you advocate that this process be changed to be more democratic as well? And if you did replace it, how would you prevent individuals with malicious intent or goals too similar to opposing parties from appearing on the ballot? Is this a fair choice to the people? At what point does platform overlap negate the purpose of democracy?

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some more numbers from that Morning Consult National Poll

Black
Biden 34%
Sanders 30%
Bloomberg 19%
Warren 8%
Buttigieg 4%
Steyer 3%
Klobuchar 1%

Hispanic
Sanders 48%
Bloomberg 17%
Biden 13%
Buttigieg 8%
Warren 7%
Klobuchar 3%

White
Sanders 28%
Bloomberg 19%
Biden 15%
Buttigieg 14%
Warren 11%
Klobuchar 7%

Bernie Bros of the world unite!

Trump has already started, look at his tweets about Bloomberg today. He's going to hit Bloomberg on racism, and sexism, and it will work, because the Democratic electorate and some independents actually do care about this stuff, whereas the GOP base does not.

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019

Meaningfully making progress on climate change necessitates broad and radical taking on of industry, which a billionaire ain't doing.

It's nice that he thinks it's real and has some vague notions of what to do about it, but "not good enough" is barely meaningfully different than "doing nothing" as far as temperature projections are concerned.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
It be a start for sure. As for actual claims of not allowing him in. I'd argue that given his proximity to media as the owner of Bloomberg News actually does place him in an unfair position at the start and that rules should prevent him from joining unless he can divorce himself from the close ties to the media or that this fact is always mentioned to show that there might be some subtle bias that can result of it.
I think that could be a totally reasonable rule, as long as anyone with media ties has a process they can use to come into compliance.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
These fucking old Dem pundits, man...

I wasn't even a year old when the Soviet Union disassembled so I don't quite relate to this longstanding red scare shit, but man, if they're scared of "communist" Bernie Sanders, they ain't seen nothin' yet...

Deleted member 20630

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because Bloomberg is quickly gaining support among minority voters, whether people on this thread like it or not. So, it's important to actually have a conversation about that possibility. In my perfect world, Bloomberg would've been DOA and Sanders, Warren, Julian Castro, Jay Inslee, and Cory Booker are all getting ready for Nevada. Unfortunately, we don't live in that world.

Until we have poll numbers translate into actual votes and delegates I think its preemptive to think he has a plurality of minority support. And, again, this has nothing to do with the fact that Bloomberg has legitimate issues with racist policies.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I think your disagreement misses some of the key components about how candidacy rules are applied in the U.S. Even at the lowest federated level, let's say State House of Representatives, there are hurdles that must be overcome to appear on the ballot for the primary. In Florida, for example, a candidate must reach a certain number of signed petitions from residents of their district, or pay a flat fee to the state. For candidates selected by a party, the party will offer to cover that fee so the candidate may spend their money and workforce hours elsewhere, essentially eliminating that hurdle due to party favoritism. A candidate not selected by a party has an uphill battle to even qualify for consideration by the public for nomination. This process is deeply undemocratic, and yet we accept it as it is, perhaps because most people don't know about it.

So, at the local level, the party may choose to attempt to block someone they do not like from becoming a genuine choice in an election by refusing to offer help. This undemocratic process has pros and cons: a poor person may not be able to gather the attention or resources to appear on the ballot, but the party can also prevent prospective candidates who do not represent the platform or interests of the party from campaigning as easily.

Would you advocate that this process be changed to be more democratic as well? And if you did replace it, how would you prevent individuals with malicious intent or goals too similar to opposing parties from appearing on the ballot, if at all? Is this a fair choice to the people? At what point does platform overlap negate the purpose of democracy?
First of all, I've worked in national politics, so I understand how they work.

Secondly, in that Florida example no one is being blocked, they just aren't being helped, though I don't have a problem with ending that practice.

And yes, that's a fair choice. What would be unfair is making that decision for the people.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
lol

do an ounce of research on Bloomberg please. there is nothing to indicate he will lead on any of those issues you care about, and I have zero confidence in a billionaire changing face from just a few years ago was a Republican and threatened third party runs multiple times.
Because I wasn't a fresh faced transplant minority in NYC under two years of Bloomberg? I don't really need to do research.
On the issues I listed, he's actually pretty dedicated to them and it's absurd people are implying he wouldn't be drastically better than Trump.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Whether or not Bloomberg is worse than Trump is a silly debate to me. Bloomberg would set the Democratic party back decades, the way Trump has continued the Republican party's slide into authoritarian fascism.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Until we have poll numbers translate into actual votes and delegates I think its preemptive to think he has a plurality of minority support. And, again, this has nothing to do with the fact that Bloomberg has legitimate issues with racist policies.

This is a primary discussion thread - by your argument, we shouldn't talk about any support any candidate has, because there's been no votes in these states yet.

One can believe Bloomberg has racist, sexist, and classist policies, which he does, while also believing that when those polls were taken, a chunk of minorities supported Bloomberg. That may change when he's gang-attacked in the debate by every other candidate, or when people know more about his past via the media, but that doesn't mean it's wrong to talk about his current levels of support.

Oct 25, 2017
First of all, I've worked in national politics, so I understand how they work.

Secondly, in that Florida example no one is being blocked, they just aren't being helped, though I don't have a problem with ending that practice.

And yes, that's a fair choice. What would be unfair is making that decision for the people.
So you're saying you think it's more important that the people be able to choose a party's candidates, rather than the parties themselves, as well as choose their representatives in elections, because the same principle of choice should apply at all stages. Even if this means the final election loses any differentiation between candidates, which is indicative of non-democratic regimes, because letting the people have a say is more important than the value of the final decision.

At this point then, what purpose do the parties actually serve, if anyone can be a candidate for any party?

Oct 27, 2017
The Democratic Party preferring an actual Republican over leftist policies was honestly always gonna be the end point of Third Way

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Bloomberg's decades of systematic sexism/misogyny/sexual harassment/workplace harassment/emotional and mental abuse (as far as I understand, there is much more out there that the article doesn't cover):
abcnews.go.com

Bloomberg's sexist remarks fostered company culture that degraded women, lawsuits allege

Mike Bloomberg has on repeated occasions faced and fought allegations that he directed crude and sexist comments to women in his office.
I did some highlights of it:
[Mike Bloomberg has on repeated occasions faced and fought allegations that he directed crude and sexist comments to women in his office, including a claim in the 1990s that he told an employee who had just announced she was pregnant to "kill it."

"He told me to 'kill it' in a serious monotone voice," the woman alleged in a lawsuit. "I asked 'What? What did you just say?' He looked at me and repeated in a deliberate manner 'kill it.'"

Josephs recalled that Sakai "said she felt very distressed" by Bloomberg's reaction and it "really upset her emotionally." Bloomberg's alleged remark, Josephs said, reflected a "locker room atmosphere that was a sexually harassing atmosphere."
"I'd like to do that piece of meat," and "I would DO you in a second."
If women wanted to be appreciated for their brains, they'd go to the library instead of to Bloomingdales
I know for a fact that any self-respecting woman who walks past a construction site doesn't get a whistle will turn around and walk past again and again until she does get one
Court records reviewed by ABC News indicate that at least 17 women have taken legal action against the company over the past three decades, with three of the cases specifically naming Bloomberg for his role in the company's culture. None of the cases made it to trial – four were either dismissed or withdrawn, while five were settled out of court. Three cases remain active.
In one case, he is alleged to have told a female employee, regarding her boyfriend, to, "Keep him happy with a good [oral sex]."
"Bloomberg would gawk at women and say about their legs, 'I like that,'" according to an unnamed former Bloomberg employee quoted in court records from 1995. "He defended his attitude by saying it keeps him young."
The lawsuit alleged that the company engaged in a pattern of discrimination against women after they became pregnant and after they took maternity leave. Sixty-seven women were prepared to join the case. The time period of the misconduct alleged in the lawsuit was between 2002 and 2007 while Bloomberg was mayor of New York City and not involved in the day-to-day operations of the company, although he remained the majority owner of it. A court dismissed the case in 2011.
One way for the public to learn more about "what actually happened" at Bloomberg LP, Josephs said, would be for the firm to release women who complained about the work environment from strict nondisclosure agreements.

A company spokesman told ABC News that the company rarely settles disputes, preferring to take them to court.

When cases are settled, they generally include confidentiality provisions, so the extent of the alleged misconduct is not known, Josephs said.

Sakai, whose 1997 lawsuit accused Bloomberg of discouraging women from having children, settled her case against both Bloomberg and the company out of court for an undisclosed amount of money in exchange for her signing a nondisclosure agreement. Reached by ABC News, a lawyer for Sakai said she may be willing to share her story if the nondisclosure agreement were to be voided by the campaign.

ABC News has spoken with several women who expressed interest in telling their stories, but feared the prospect of facing retribution from the company for speaking out.

One former employee who worked at the company from 2003-2005, and spoke to ABC News on the condition of anonymity for fear of retribution, made similar allegations to those outlined in lawsuits over the years. The woman claims that a series of events, including a pregnancy, led her superiors to "sideline" her.

"Going to work was uncomfortable, everything was awful at that time," the woman said. "It was the worst thing that has ever happened to me."

When she left Bloomberg LP, she said the company asked her to sign a nondisclosure agreement in exchange for cash, but she declined.

"Everybody I knew was taking them," she said, referring to the confidentiality agreements.

ABC News asked Bloomberg through his campaign if he has considered releasing these women from their nondisclosure agreements. The Bloomberg campaign declined to comment.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All this talk about integrity of the process can't help but remind me of that "You go high, we go low" video from Innuendo Studios on youtube, the part where he talks/explains about how democrats value the system.

Eerily on point.

EsqBob

Nov 7, 2017
Now we can't be too hard on the minorities backing Bloomberg because?
Does their endorsement erase his past?

Fuck those fools, I only hope for their sake that they're uninformed, otherwise they aren't worth shit in my eye. Literally as bad as minority Trump voters.

Look at this thread?
Just read a 354 page thread? I just got here and I'm not from the US. I am just curious

Dec 2, 2017

Yeah, but then he'll bleed votes to the "wait, so we can keep the racism/sexism/homophobia, but with someone who's a regular liar instead of a serial one? And is actually mega rich and thereby favored by God and not just pretending? Intriguing. Tell us more." voters.

All he has to do is say he's not so sure about this abortion thing and he might have this in the bag.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
So you're saying you think it's more important that the people be able to choose a party's candidates, rather than the parties themselves, as well as choose their representatives in elections, because the same principle of choice should apply at all stages. Even if this means the final election loses any differentiation between candidates, which is indicative of non-democratic regimes, because letting the people have a say is more important than the value of the final decision.
Well your example is a straw man, because the Democratic and Republican candidates in any given race are not exactly the same.

But yes, I wouldn't call making decisions for the electorate against their will giving them "more choice." Elites alone choosing which candidates will be on a final election ballot is also "indicative of non-democratic regimes."

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Democrats have a person with the most support from women and minorities in their race and decide to instead support the racist fella who enables rapists at his workplace.

*golf claps* at the absurdity.

Bloomberg may be a womanizing rape enabler but at least he's not a serial rapist like our current president. #resist

Oct 25, 2017

lmao

Just read a 354 page thread? I just got here and I'm not from the US. I am just curious
A few pages behind is enough, also some have posted some of his record.

Democrats have a person with the most support from women and minorities in their race and decide to instead support the racist fella who enables rapists at his workplace.

But some minorities are supporting Bloomberg so...Gosh..what do we do?
/s

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York

Bloomberg hasn't won a single primary and is polling in 3rd place

I'm not sure why people are absolutely losing their minds like he just won the primary or is even close to being the nominee. His support at this point are just people answering a poll (and only coming in third), he has yet to have a single vote cast for him and won't for awhile.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Meaningfully making progress on climate change necessitates broad and radical taking on of industry, which a billionaire ain't doing.

It's nice that he thinks it's real and has some vague notions of what to do about it, but "not good enough" is barely meaningfully different than "doing nothing" as far as temperature projections are concerned.
Bloomberg partnered with 6 other companies to create Bloomberg Green, a global publication dedicated to climate change. That dirty billionaire has done more for climate change in the past month than all of the candidates combined have done in the past year.

Bloomberg has serious problems with race and should be hammered on it. But even as mayor, he pushed climate change as a priority. As he did gun control. And supporting reproductive rights. And immigration. So I think it's safe to say he would be drastically better than Trump just due to those issues.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm not sure why people are absolutely losing their minds like he just won the primary or is even close to being the nominee. His support at this point are just people answering a poll (and only coming in third), he has yet to have a single vote cast for him and won't for awhile.
forgive us negroes for voicing our concerns

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

you don't see an issue with what you just said?

he came in so late he hasn't been in a single primary and is polling in 3rd place from just his own funding. There is definitely cause for alarm especially once he's actually on the ballot with an unlimited war chest.

Status
Not open for further replies.